Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,205 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,642
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » So, is it a sandbox?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  Allein

Elite Member

1/13/14 5:55:50 PM#21
Originally posted by anwar
Please define "sandbox".

How dare you bring logic to the internet!

Apraxis

Elite Member

1/22/14 2:09:01 PM#22
Originally posted by DamonVile
It has sandbox features, but it isn't going to be what a purist would call a sandbox.

May i ask what a sandbox is for a purist. Because of the sound of it no sandbox MMO would fullfil that description.

Originally posted by Aelious
The term used was "biggest sandbox style..." regarding EQN so not a pure sandbox but more of a sandpark. Landmark will be a pure sandbox though, the teleportation spires and handful of meeting place landmarks being the only developer placed entities to begin with.

Going back to EQN it will be interesting to see how the overall game plays. The world is from a procedural seed so more land can be added easily and can be very large not to mention the layers deep that shifts over time. If they also have a way to generate basic animals/mobs in the gameworld you may be able to travel far into a direction and explore.

There are no typical levels but gear "tiers" to achieve per class. Depending on how many classes one is willing to gain (they have to be found/earned) and play or enlarge the pool of abilities for your other classes one could be kept busy for a while. Fairly open ended from the sounds of it but not entirely skills based.

A bit plus is not symbols above the head and a smart system for quests. There are demo videos of Storybricks that are promising regarding that but just the absence of symbols witll make the world seem more like a world and less like connect the dots.

The one feature that isn't sandbox but brilliant imo is Rallying Calls. Month(s) long ongoing quest events with multiple ways to help out progressing the world story. Rather than having structures and storyline aspects strait patched in the players help move it along.

Mostly on paper? Sure but I have no doubt they can pull it off. They wouldn't have scrapped the second iteration otherwise. How sandbox it may be will depend on personal definition IMO.

The one feature you call isn't sandbox may be more in the spirit of sandbox as many may think. It is a lot like old world gm events(UO), but a lot more automized, a lot more open ended, and a lot more world affecting.

Any event, any quest, where everyone is part of, and will inherently change, affect the world is a sandbox feature.. it is very similar with one time quests, affecting the world, which are also, at least in my mind, sandbox style quests.

Though, EQN will have most probably a lot more convential, not so much sandbox, quests, too. At least guess so.

But ultimately as someone else already said in this thread we really don't know enough to call that beast.. until now we have some basic ideas, some basic tools, and you can imagine almost everything from that on.. but what we finally get, what EQN finally will be have to be seen. So lets dring some tea and wait.

aesperus

Hard Core Member

1/22/14 2:15:33 PM#23
Originally posted by Gintoh
I mean the EQN, not EQN:L.  Iv'e looked on the web but I hear mixed reports, that there was a 100 m dollar budget version and a 20 mil version, is this going to be the sandbox version?

Basically EQ:N is supposed to be EQ:L with combat. EQ:L is supposed to determine the baseline for how the world will look in EQ:N.

So, based on that info, I would say that if you consider EQL a sandbox, then you should also consider EQN one too. That said, sandbox is such a loaded term on these forums (like themepark, or wow clone), that it's impossible to tell who thinks what exactly constitutes a sandbox. Everyone seems to have their own personal definition, which is superior to everyone elses, and anything that doesn't completely match their contrived definition is 100% not a 'true' sandbox, but rather some cheap imitator.

Avra

Apprentice Member

1/22/14 2:52:43 PM#24

No-one agrees on what a sandbox really is so not really something we can answer. But, I don't see Sandboxes/Theme parks as an either/or thing though. I think it makes more sense to view it as a continuum. In that way, I would say EQL and Next would be closer to the sandbox side of things. Extreme sandbox there wouldn't be anything in game. We could all stare a blank screen lol.

Xthos

Novice Member

1/22/14 3:28:42 PM#25
Originally posted by aesperus
I mean the EQN, not EQN:L.  Iv'e looked on the web but I hear mixed reports, that there was a 100 m dollar budget version and a 20 mil version, is this going to be the sandbox version?

Basically EQ:N is supposed to be EQ:L with combat. EQ:L is supposed to determine the baseline for how the world will look in EQ:N.

So, based on that info, I would say that if you consider EQL a sandbox, then you should also consider EQN one too. That said, sandbox is such a loaded term on these forums (like themepark, or wow clone), that it's impossible to tell who thinks what exactly constitutes a sandbox. Everyone seems to have their own personal definition, which is superior to everyone elses, and anything that doesn't completely match their contrived definition is 100% not a 'true' sandbox, but rather some cheap imitator.

Actually EQN:L is going to have combat also.  EQN has the expanded classes, where you get your abilities from your class(es).  EQN also will have developer made content/events.  EQN:L you get your abilities from what I have seen from crafting gear/weapons.  Players will be making content and not all of it will be fantasy based/restricted.  Think it is on the main continent, but the other ones, anything goes.

I am more interested in EQN, as EQN:L I can see people putting time into it and actually maybe making it better than EQN for a lot of people, but that takes time and is down the road.  EQN will have professional content out of the gate.

I am interested in EQN:L, but I gotta see how robust the pve content is and other parts, that I imagine will be procedurally generated probably on the main continent (maybe everywhere, not sure how they will do it, just that they have combat/monsters out of the gate, they have said).

I may not like EQN in the end, if it is so casual that you feel what you do doesn't matter much (if you understand what I am saying there).

People could actually in time make almost their own mmos in EQN:L if given enough tools, SoE can make profit off of the store of the creators world/mmo.  Will they let people design mobs/classes and such, along with the content?  Have to see how much they open it up in the end.

EQN:L is very much a sandbox, EQN is more hybrid in the classic sense of things, but in more modern terms it is probably as much sandbox as you are going to get in a mmo that have developer content and the features it lists.

ste2000

Apprentice Member

1/22/14 3:33:40 PM#26

The Overlord John Smedley said it (both) will be Sandboxes, but then again, John Smedley said it.

So you do the maths............

Xthos

Novice Member

1/22/14 3:35:44 PM#27
Originally posted by Allein
Originally posted by anwar
Please define "sandbox".

How dare you bring logic to the internet!

IT is just like defining what a true themepark would have in it.  A themepark is about the rides/fun, not housing, crafting, harvesting...Those are all distractions and more sandbox...So people like to get stuck on this sandbox thing, but if you honestly ask the question about themepark, you would get the same responses, people just don't.

Just as you can argue what is a mmo, which is quickly becoming anything you can play online, with multiple people in any way.  I mean years ago, GW1 was usually not refered to as a true mmo.  Now we have LoL, and 10 people playing in a instance, and people call it a mmo.  So the term doesn't hold much meaning anymore.

Xthos

Novice Member

1/22/14 3:42:19 PM#28

That is all old rumors.  A lot of things have changed, their has been like 3/4 versions of EQN, if you count the decision to make Landmark a stand alone.  Whatever the final products turn out to be, I imagine they have spent a lot of money when it is all said and done on EQN:L and EQN.

I think EQN:L was more a developer tool to make EQN, then they decided they could actually release EQN:L as a stand alone (ala minecraft), with systems to replace the classes/developer content, so people could make their own stuff (and of course still make money on it from the store).

I believe Forgelight was supposed to develop and come out on EQN, before PS2, but all of the redesigns pushed that back. 

ste2000

Apprentice Member

1/22/14 3:49:17 PM#29
Originally posted by Xthos

I believe Forgelight was supposed to develop and come out on EQN, before PS2, but all of the redesigns pushed that back. 

That is correct.

Though the reason EQN ha been redesigned is to include Sandbox elements which Smedley proudly announced when they unveiled the latest version.

Officially EQN is a sandbox, now the question is, what is SOE definition of sandbox?

That's when the fun begins.................

Apraxis

Elite Member

1/22/14 4:03:52 PM#30
Originally posted by ste2000

That is correct.

Though the reason EQN ha been redesigned is to include Sandbox elements which Smedley proudly announced when they unveiled the latest version.

Officially EQN is a sandbox, now the question is, what is SOE definition of sandbox?

Usually it should be more SWG, not EQ1. Both are from SOE.. so we should asume they have a very good image what a sandbox should be..

ste2000

Apprentice Member

1/23/14 3:44:55 PM#31
Originally posted by Apraxis

That is correct.

Usually it should be more SWG, not EQ1. Both are from SOE.. so we should asume they have a very good image what a sandbox should be..

None of the developers of EQ and SWG works for SoE any longer.

Also SoE shut SWG sandbox to turn it into a Themepark (NGE).

So I would be careful to be excited about a Sandbox from SoE.

Gallus85

Apprentice Member

1/23/14 5:19:03 PM#32
Originally posted by Apraxis

That is correct.

None of the developers of EQ and SWG works for SoE any longer.

Also SoE shut SWG sandbox to turn it into a Themepark (NGE).

So I would be careful to be excited about a Sandbox from SoE.

People throw the "Sandbox" term around a lot, but no game that's ever been released claiming to be a sandbox has been a pure sandbox.  It's always a mix of dev created content and systems and sandbox-esk features.

The better question is "Will EQN be a truly next-gen MMO", which It's pretty safe to say it will be.

Or "Will EQN be a world worth living in", instead of the FFXIV / WoW style MMOs where you flop from 1 quest area / dungeon to the next in a vertical grind, consume all the content then bitch until they add more content.

EQN is set to give us everything hardcore MMORPG fans have wanted for a long time now.   I'm glad to see the original innovators of the MMO genre are going to be bringing us the next big thing.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

2 Pages « 1 2 Search