Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,641,581 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,959
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » EQN Round Table...Livestream??? (partial rant and poll)

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
52 posts found
  Ender4

Hard Core Member

10/18/13 11:54:51 AM#41

The roll out was incredibly exciting because they revealed the foundation of a really interesting game. They can't hold that level of energy through further development until the game is near ready to launch, but I commend them for trying and for having a dialogue with us.

Luckily they only have to try to hold it until Landmark. Landmark will revitalize interest in the game. After that the beta will likely start and with no NDA the beta players will revitalize interest again.

Burdoc101

Apprentice Member

OP  10/18/13 1:31:27 PM#42
Originally posted by Apraxis
Originally posted by Burdoc101

<SNIP>

1. Chris Robert is not doing it alone. But he does have the final saying. When he decide that Star Citizen will have ground combat.. it will have ground combat. And yeap.. they need money, but in comparsion they have already made money, or better said financed more or less all of their production cost.

They can make a pure game, they can realize their pure vision of a game. And they believe that their pure vision will make the game successful, but they are not that dependend on futher sales as EQN.

2. Partly answered in 1.)

Maybe SOE can take another flop.. but they got already a lot of flops or let say just mediocre success. They already restarted EQN development cycle.. i really believe they have to be successful, and have a lot more pressure than Chris Robets.

This is one advantage of crowd funding, you don't have to please your publisher, you have a lot more creative freedom. The problem is, that you have to get enough money from crowd funding.. and more or less only Chris Roberts accomplished such a amount of money, which is more or less necessary for a AAA MMO like game.

3. Ok.. not really a lot to add here. But Chris Roberts is certainly not scared to get copied... and partly point 1.)  and 2.)  count into the equation, but also that there are not that much Space Sim Action Games. (Elite may be the only one, and it is different enough, that interested customers are interested in both.. as i am interested in both).

EvE is not a lot of Action, and Dust is more comparable with Battlefield, instead of Star Citizen.

EQN will be copied a lot more, and was already in the past.. be it EQ1 or any other game..

But could they offer more information? Of course, they could, and they most probably will over time. My point was, that they don't have all that much information nailed down by themself. And they will not tell you or the community anything they may have to take back and reasons for that have a lot to do with 1.) and 2.). And another reason is, that they don't have that a clear vision like Chris Roberts, because EQN is not the vision of just one man as i already said.

SOE is its own publisher though. It is funding itself. It has nothing holding it back. This is the third iteration of the game, meaning it has been restarted three times. 

Kick-starter is great, I have nothing against a crowd funded game like Star Citizen. I donated some cash myself when the campaign was trying to reach its first goal of 2 million. It has the same premise though as a big triple AAA company that has nothing holding it back, like SOE. 

(Only noted Dust 514 for the ground combat example). 

The information they could offer are: classes; races; crafting; tools for landmark; concept artwork; and any other basic knowledge they can provide up to this point in development, even if it is pre-alpha information. 

Maybe I am being a bit greedy for information, but I still think this is reasonable.

Burdoc101

Apprentice Member

OP  10/18/13 1:50:42 PM#43
Originally posted by sanshi44
Originally posted by Ender4

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Did you even watch the video, they said exacly why the round table questions havant had a clear answer yet, They still want the conversation they said once they decided and not being changed thats when they post gets closed and u know what their doing.

No I haven't been able to watch the 40 minute video yet. :-(

I try to give it a watch tonight though and will create a new thread (unless one is already made) about discussing the post-livestream.

Your information certainly makes me want to be less ignorant if its correct! 

I know I have been against how they have done communication to the community, but for the most part they have done a great job and I wish only to see more because I feel they are not going as far as the could for the community. I am a huge fan of SOE, the Everquest universe and the EQN team; and want nothing more then to succeed.

I feel like I am involved in the development of the game and maybe that has led me to believe that we deserve more results for the community. In the end it is still SOE's final say so, but being that they are so passionate for the game and want the community to be involved, I still feel they should let go of the restrictions that are holding back from opening up to us fully.

If you listen to how Dave Georgeson talks, you know he is itching the most out of everyone to tell us everything about EQN.

I guess I need to just take the time and watch the dang video so I hear from first hand what they are tying to accomplish.

Burdoc101

Apprentice Member

OP  10/18/13 1:54:00 PM#44
Originally posted by sanshi44

If EQN/Landmark are going F2P and they want to involve the community so much, why not give every detail about the game in its current development? 

Because Everything they have done so far is not set in stone yet and can be changed at any time, Not to mention doing this would create huge hype and the game isnt even near release.

Personally, I understand that the game is not set in stone with anything as of right now and will probably change in dramatic ways up until its launch, but I would still like the information that they have right now to disseminate and discuss with others about the features. Even if they do change, I would discuss the change then as well. 

Burdoc101

Apprentice Member

OP  10/18/13 2:02:07 PM#45

I know I am talking out of ignorance at this point until I have learned more information in my hand from the EQN team, but appreciate the discussions with yall ;-). I am going to watch the round table live stream video hopefully tonight and discuss this another day.

superconducting

Hard Core Member

10/18/13 3:48:31 PM#46

Just watched the 40min livestream video.

Practically the whole thing is a DIRECT response to this :

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/thread/397038/Whats-the-point-of-Round-Table.html

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by their response. Whereas many devs would shrug off criticism of the round table, SOE has instead decided to better explain its purpose to us. They basically confirmed it's like a focus group to see how much the community was on the same page as the devs. I am totally fine with that and commend them for being upfront about things. I have no problem trusting them to ultimately make the right decisions for the game.

Tierless

Advanced Member

joie de vivre

10/18/13 4:00:55 PM#47

I have no real EQN hate but I honestly think it's just marketing BS making EQN feel like a kickstarted game when in reality they have already ran the numbers, done the polls, and made the decisions internally.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

NavinJohnson

Novice Member

10/19/13 3:14:07 PM#48
Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Meh! I stopped caring about the roundtable the second time they went against the majority on their polls. I stopped voting.

I will try the games though, both EQNL and EQN.

Those polls are a tool to help them to make decisions, they are not to make the decisions for them. That is a difference, and a big one, too.

LOL! Ok, so, this is where I get lost. If the poll is there to help them, then why not go with what ppl want?

I don't get it. Majority doesn't rule anymore? hahahaha

Now who decided to break that one? lol

So, if people say jump over the cliff, you will do it? What people say, or better what the majority says is not always the best thing to do, but in the case for EQN or any other game, all elements have to fit together..

And by the way.. Majority never ruled anything. Not even in politics.

These round table polls have never said: "Hey, we don't have any ideas, so tell us what you want and we'll put them in."

I believe they are promoting them for three reasons:

(1) To get a feel for what features people want implemented immediately and what features can wait a bit.

(2) To get a sense of what players want so an evaluation can be made as to whether those items demonstrate enough demand to deserve further consideration.

(3) To identify and get out in front of possible player objections.

These questions are market research tools, not player entitlement services.

xanthmetis

Hard Core Member

10/19/13 3:28:56 PM#49

I am so happy they are doing the round table.  They are taking the community feedback and weighing it for the direction they want to go and making the best decision for their game/business model. 

I am glad they are not solely basing their decisions on the polls.  They are analzying the data, which is helping to GUIDE some of the decisons they were not quite 100% with.  I am honored they are taking into account the amount of feedback as they have so far.

I also think they are coming across feedback/ideas from the community that they did not quite think of and could possibly change what the outcome of the game would of been.

xanthmetis

Hard Core Member

10/19/13 3:31:44 PM#50
Originally posted by NavinJohnson

Meh! I stopped caring about the roundtable the second time they went against the majority on their polls. I stopped voting.

I will try the games though, both EQNL and EQN.

Those polls are a tool to help them to make decisions, they are not to make the decisions for them. That is a difference, and a big one, too.

LOL! Ok, so, this is where I get lost. If the poll is there to help them, then why not go with what ppl want?

I don't get it. Majority doesn't rule anymore? hahahaha

Now who decided to break that one? lol

So, if people say jump over the cliff, you will do it? What people say, or better what the majority says is not always the best thing to do, but in the case for EQN or any other game, all elements have to fit together..

And by the way.. Majority never ruled anything. Not even in politics.

These round table polls have never said: "Hey, we don't have any ideas, so tell us what you want and we'll put them in."

I believe they are promoting them for three reasons:

(1) To get a feel for what features people want implemented immediately and what features can wait a bit.

(2) To get a sense of what players want so an evaluation can be made as to whether those items demonstrate enough demand to deserve further consideration.

(3) To identify and get out in front of possible player objections.

These questions are market research tools, not player entitlement services.

Market research is a way to determine what is best for your niche in the market.  So, in a sense they are doing both!  They are determining what is the best fit for their market and doing their best to delivery a game focused on this market.  By doing so they are implementing things that people in this market would enjoy.  Thus, using a market research tool is not a bad things in building a product, we should be happy they are spending the time and effort doing this.

Ender4

Hard Core Member

10/19/13 4:05:32 PM#51

Originally posted by Tierless
I have no real EQN hate but I honestly think it's just marketing BS making EQN feel like a kickstarted game when in reality they have already ran the numbers, done the polls, and made the decisions internally.

I think you are just wrong. The things they are asking about are things that are almost certainly not set in stone this early in the games production. When I started beta testing WoW you allocated stats each level as an example. People would always just put the points in the same places pretty much so they changed their minds. This is the type of things they are polling about, stuff that there is no way that they are set in stone yet.

Rydeson

Hard Core Member

10/20/13 5:37:56 PM#52
Originally posted by Nadia
i stopped caring about the round table after the discussion about Race, seems more a vehicle to drum up hype

My thoughts exactly.. I don't care after it became clear to me it was just a PR stunt .. 

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search