Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,971 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,928
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » new Landmark screenshots on twitter

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
101 posts found
  Enrif

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/06/13
Posts: 145

10/17/13 5:47:19 PM#21

This Castle is build from Georgson, not one of the Level or Art designers. Ofcourse its not breathtaking. But this could be build by every one, thats the point of it. 

We will see many like that. Cause not everybody is a DaVinci

  Metrobius

Novice Member

Joined: 6/16/05
Posts: 93

10/17/13 6:48:17 PM#22
Its sort of like in minecraft. Everyone starts out by building a stone box. But then you learn to mix different types of materials, incorporate the landscape, and add interesting embellishments that make the castle look way better .
With the scupting tools and the ability to use different colors and textures of stone and wood, I plan to make statues, mosaics, stained glass windows, fountains and all sorts of things like that. I hope we get placable shrubs and grass and flowers at launch. I really hope I can ha ve a reflection pool full of water.
  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/18/13 4:40:20 PM#23

I don't understand, why everything is so rounded. Isn't the engine capable of producing square blocks? I would assume that is what a voxel engine is best at. Instead it looks as if everything was moulded out of clay.

And why is everything blue? Stones come in many colours, but they are only very rarely blue.

  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/18/13 5:16:45 PM#24
Originally posted by Enrif

This Castle is build from Georgson, not one of the Level or Art designers. Ofcourse its not breathtaking. But this could be build by every one, thats the point of it. We will see many like that. Cause not everybody is a DaVinci

This is true. While I still don't like the Characters, I like the environment graphics. You have to consider that the whole castles is kind of a quick-and-dirty approach.

The wall texture is quite bad. It looks like blue Play-Doh. This is where most of the cartoon-look comes from  With a better and more realistic wall texture the whole thing would look different.

  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/18/13 5:59:42 PM#25
Originally posted by mrputts

Meh. They seem fine to me. Gameplay > Graphics in my eyes. As long as the art is consistent through out the entire game I see no issue with any cartoony-ness.

But different strokes for different folks.

I think you are misusing this whole gameplay > graphics thing. Of course it is true in general. If I have to decide between gameplay and graphics I'll always pick the gameplay. But unlike a indie-game a AAA-title should shine in all departments.

For a AAA game this is no excuse for weak graphics, and it is certainly no excuse for odd design decisions in any game.

 

You are using it to say that graphics don't matter. You are basically saying that the whole art department is useless, because their work doesn't impact the game at all.

 

This argument could be used to defend everything. Maybe you like the cartoony style, but I still believe you wouldn't like just any kind of graphics. Maybe there are people who really can't appreciate aesthetics and everything looks the same to them, but this is a personal weakness.

  mrputts

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/23/05
Posts: 176

10/18/13 11:27:42 PM#26
Originally posted by Sengi
Originally posted by mrputts

Meh. They seem fine to me. Gameplay > Graphics in my eyes. As long as the art is consistent through out the entire game I see no issue with any cartoony-ness.

But different strokes for different folks.

I think you are misusing this whole gameplay > graphics thing. Of course it is true in general. If I have to decide between gameplay and graphics I'll always pick the gameplay. But unlike a indie-game a AAA-title should shine in all departments.

For a AAA game this is no excuse for weak graphics, and it is certainly no excuse for odd design decisions in any game.

 

You are using it to say that graphics don't matter. You are basically saying that the whole art department is useless, because their work doesn't impact the game at all.

 

This argument could be used to defend everything. Maybe you like the cartoony style, but I still believe you wouldn't like just any kind of graphics. Maybe there are people who really can't appreciate aesthetics and everything looks the same to them, but this is a personal weakness.

No, arts cool I like pretty looking games like Battlefield 4, or Crysis. I also like games like Gears of war with the stupid over sized people. As well as games like Minecraft which looks like shit, but is fun as hell to play.  On the flip side there are pretty looking games that I just can't stand to play due to bad lore, clunky mechanics and the like.

But when people say they are "turned off" from this game due to the graphics. Then that leads me to believe they are more interested in graphics than any gameplay this game may offer. So my statement seems pretty pertinent to the conversation. 

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

  Reklaw

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/07/06
Posts: 6168

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

10/18/13 11:51:31 PM#27
Originally posted by Ender4

 


Originally posted by Ghern
Looks good to me. 

 

I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  


 

Yep. The only games where the graphics really bother me are games like Rift that go for realism but when zoomed out at a normal play zoom they look just awful.

I expect this game to be on the low end graphically since everything can be destroyed and players can build their own structures. They are basically painting by numbers here.

 Hey is there another version of RIFT?

Been playing RIFT for several month now but the version I am playing is really far from realism, to me it's more cartoony/stylized.

I have to agree the screenshots do not really excite me,but the premise of what the game want's to deliver does.

  rounner

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/07/06
Posts: 542

10/19/13 12:02:01 AM#28
By the power of grayskull!
  ropenice

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 585

10/19/13 12:37:53 AM#29
Originally posted by evianwater

I look at it the same way I do SWTOR. SWTOR's graphics really looked horrible in the early phases ( they didn't improve *all* that much..but they did get better) but I was still able to enjoy the game for quite a while, and what made me finally give up on it was lack of content updates and the cash-grab, not the graphics.

 

The gameplay, update frequency, over-usage of a cash-shop will be the deciding factors for me.

Being F2P the cash shop worries me the most. I'd rather it be 15/month and not get nickle and dimed. I think the y said that land cost real money, but will that just come with basic building tools, or do we pay for every "premium" tool, texture, etc. They have to make money off it, so what will they be charging for. They have to have a pricing model/CS list already decided upon with release so close (this winter?), so why haven't they disclosed it?

And for those that say graphics don't matter, it is a building game, so I would think the art style and graphics would matter even more since it isn't a typical fight/quest game. The end look of your creation matters more than running around in a world of dev design that you can ignore as combat is more focus.

Also, not sure using WoW as an example of how cartoony graphics hold up better than realism is a good argument. AoC still looks good, and WoW holds up over time because it started out looking bad to begin with (IMO), so I guess you could say the years have been kind, because it still at same level as when launched (IMO). I do admit it has actually improved some as some work was put into them over the years.

  Steelhelm

Novice Member

Joined: 7/17/13
Posts: 41

10/19/13 12:52:11 AM#30
Originally posted by Ghern

Looks good to me. 

I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  

Exactly, in realistic looking games there's always some low q texture somewhere that looks out of place.

I like the pics, looks a lot like wow

  Galadourn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 1055

10/19/13 1:15:03 AM#31
Originally posted by Steelhelm
Originally posted by Ghern

Looks good to me. 

I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  

Exactly, in realistic looking games there's always some low q texture somewhere that looks out of place.

I like the pics, looks a lot like wow

I must say it does look like WoW, and that's possibly the smartest thing SOE has done; there's some sort of immersion with such graphics that's hard to grasp initially, but once you get into the game you don't want to leave, just like Vanilla WoW.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

  georgatos7

Novice Member

Joined: 11/15/12
Posts: 54

10/19/13 5:40:45 AM#32
Originally posted by Galadourn

I must say it does look like WoW, and that's possibly the smartest thing SOE has done; there's some sort of immersion with such graphics that's hard to grasp initially, but once you get into the game you don't want to leave, just like Vanilla WoW.

 

I like how ppl express their opinion like it's fact.

You think everquest even though it looks way worse than Black Desert or Bless right now it will magically look better than those 2 games in 4-5 years?

The longevity of cartoony graphics is just a freaking misconception in childrens minds. You just make something look like cr@p and call it art style different from the others so that any comparison with new game graphics is avoided right from the start.

I'm wondering how they managed to make EQ textures look worst than the default from Voxelfarm engine.

Oh by the way wow had bad graphics at the beginning but now it looks like sh1t. It just that there are so many kids around, both physically and mentally.

  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/19/13 9:26:01 AM#33
Originally posted by Reklaw
Originally posted by Ender4

Yep. The only games where the graphics really bother me are games like Rift that go for realism but when zoomed out at a normal play zoom they look just awful.

I expect this game to be on the low end graphically since everything can be destroyed and players can build their own structures. They are basically painting by numbers here.

 Hey is there another version of RIFT?

Been playing RIFT for several month now but the version I am playing is really far from realism, to me it's more cartoony/stylized.

I have to agree the screenshots do not really excite me,but the premise of what the game want's to deliver does.

I agree. In the discussion it sometimes seems as if there where only two types of graphics, cartoony and hyper-realistic. In reality this is of course a matter of degree. Compared to EQN games like Rift and ESO look more realistic, but they are actually still very stylized. If you compare them to Battlefield 4 or Star Citizen they suddenly look almost cartoony. And even BF4s graphics are not really photo-realistic but stylized to some degree.

  Galadourn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 1055

10/19/13 9:26:20 AM#34
Originally posted by georgatos7
Originally posted by Galadourn

I must say it does look like WoW, and that's possibly the smartest thing SOE has done; there's some sort of immersion with such graphics that's hard to grasp initially, but once you get into the game you don't want to leave, just like Vanilla WoW.

 

I like how ppl express their opinion like it's fact.

You think everquest even though it looks way worse than Black Desert or Bless right now it will magically look better than those 2 games in 4-5 years?

The longevity of cartoony graphics is just a freaking misconception in childrens minds. You just make something look like cr@p and call it art style different from the others so that any comparison with new game graphics is avoided right from the start.

I'm wondering how they managed to make EQ textures look worst than the default from Voxelfarm engine.

Oh by the way wow had bad graphics at the beginning but now it looks like sh1t. It just that there are so many kids around, both physically and mentally.

I cannot take seriously someone who sports Olympiacos' player name as a user name, sorry.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

  DMKano

Elite Member

Joined: 6/17/11
Posts: 5748

10/19/13 9:34:20 AM#35

Gameplay trumps graphics - I play minecraft and have a blast.

While not a fan of EQN graphically, if the gameplay is there it won't matter.

If WoW had clunky and unresponsive combat, and terrible gameplay it would have failed miserably.

There are a ton of crappy games out there that look almost identically to WoW - so again gameplay is a lot more important.

 

  Galadourn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 1055

10/19/13 9:40:23 AM#36
not to mention a ton of games that are visually stunning and play like shite...

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/19/13 9:57:46 AM#37
Originally posted by georgatos7
Originally posted by Galadourn

I must say it does look like WoW, and that's possibly the smartest thing SOE has done; there's some sort of immersion with such graphics that's hard to grasp initially, but once you get into the game you don't want to leave, just like Vanilla WoW.

 I like how ppl express their opinion like it's fact.

You think everquest even though it looks way worse than Black Desert or Bless right now it will magically look better than those 2 games in 4-5 years?

The longevity of cartoony graphics is just a freaking misconception in childrens minds. You just make something look like cr@p and call it art style different from the others so that any comparison with new game graphics is avoided right from the start.

I'm wondering how they managed to make EQ textures look worst than the default from Voxelfarm engine.

Oh by the way wow had bad graphics at the beginning but now it looks like sh1t. It just that there are so many kids around, both physically and mentally.

I agree. If you look at the demonstration videos for the VoxelFarm engine you notice how much better it could look with different wall textures. The engine does in no way demand textures that look like blue Play-Doh, that was SOEs own decision.

 

While it may be true for you Galadourn, I never felt like this when I was playing WoW. I don't want to say that WoW can't be immersive, but the immersion is certainly not coming from the graphics but from other sources.

If you ask me this was not really a smart move. If people see something that looks like WoW they will assume that it is like WoW and it will be the same old game we where playing for 11 years now.

  shass

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/31/11
Posts: 101

The light at the end of the tunnel... is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

10/19/13 10:18:38 AM#38
It's really good that these environments can be destroyed... they need to be. All the anticipation for a release that should appeal to seven year olds with a cheap tablet. It does bring a nice sense of nostalgia - graphics circa 1999 -
  Sengi

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/01/09
Posts: 344

10/19/13 10:32:00 AM#39
Originally posted by DMKano

Gameplay trumps graphics - I play minecraft and have a blast.

While not a fan of EQN graphically, if the gameplay is there it won't matter.

If WoW had clunky and unresponsive combat, and terrible gameplay it would have failed miserably.

There are a ton of crappy games out there that look almost identically to WoW - so again gameplay is a lot more important.

Yes, no game can be good without good gameplay. For indi-games I can accept it if the costs had to be cut in the graphics department, but not for a AAA-title. (And SOE is not quite an indi-developer.) Of a AAA title I demand not only fun gameplay but also a game that is visually pleasing, polished and immersive. Good gameplay is not an excuse for bad graphics in a game with a multimillion dollar budget.

  Galadourn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 1055

10/19/13 1:20:46 PM#40

well, good news for all ya graphics enthusiasts; ESO is coming out in Spring 2014 and is guaranteed to stun all of you with its graphics for at least its entire free month. 

After all, what we all want is a game where your toon looks amazing and you just go around the roller-coaster enjoying the content.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search