Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,515 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,715
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » New Poll! Death Penalty Poll

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search
89 posts found
  Params7

Spotlight Poster

10/16/13 11:39:52 PM#81

Risk/Reward is what I play videogames for. Tired of casual, pointless games like WoW and other themeparks.

I wish they would make Dark Souls into an MMO.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/17/13 12:08:30 AM#82

Death penalties and general difficulty need to be tied together from inception. They aren't (and never have been) independent.

IF the game is designed to kill players very frequently (Raid bosses designed to cause frequent wipes, for instance; or just a high incidence of unavoidable random deaths by die roll (criticals), uncontrolled PVP)...then the reset & restart penalty needs to be a light one. Insert another quarter for more time.

IF you can control your fate, at least in most cases; sure, slap the penalty down. Your third little man has died, game over, play again?

An mmo where 'gave over' applied as a concept...on an account basis.

Naw. Too easy to cheat.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Sengi

Advanced Member

10/19/13 12:51:53 PM#83
Originally posted by Elikal

That too. It is my experience that most people have no idea what is good for them.

Even if someone truly would enjoy harsh penalities, do people REALLY thing it is good advise to SoE to implement a harsh death penality? In an expensive Triple A MMO?? In 2013?

THINK people. Try to make a difference between what is your personal quirk and what realistically is good for a MMO in our days! Any halfway harsh penality would make the game sink faster than the Titanic! I don't know why they even ASK the question. Sheesh. Haven't they learned anything from "race restrictions"? It just puts DUMB ideas into people's minds.

It's like asking a child, do you want chocolate or vegetables? Oh, sorry, we decided to have only veggies because they are healthier for you! Oh, then DON'T MENTION the damn chocolate!

SoE would be much better off, changing the Round Table to a sort of forum. So they can ask a question like this, but don't give multiple pre-formulate choices, but everyone could answer is a freeform text reply, becaus it would be WAY more interesting to hear WHY someone is for something, than what he is for. Anyone can say yay or nay, but the explanations are what would matter.

It think this a very pessimistic point of view. You basically say that  SOE should procure a casual game for the casual market, and that they should give the casuals what they already know. This is what created SWTOR and that one blew up like the Death Star two month after release. I thought EQN set of to be different. I think to experience the trill of a harsh death penalty would be new and interesting to players who haven't seen it before.

I think your metaphor is wrong. To have no death penalty or one that doesn't matter is the easy instant-gratification solution. That would be the chocolate. Maybe it is a good idea to give some vegetables to a child that has eaten nothing but chocolate for the last 10 years. Maybe it will like it. And maybe it has grown old enough to understand what would bring more satisfaction in the long run.

I'm also seeing this from a player's perspective. I don't really care if EQN is an financial success if it has to be dumbed down to do so. I'm sorry but I only really care for games that meet my personal taste. Financial success is for me just a means to an end, and only if the money is reinvested into the game. Of course it is different for SOE but that is their problem.

DMKano

Elite Member

10/19/13 1:00:24 PM#84

Since the game seems to be geared towards ultra casual players, I would go even one step beyond zero death penalty - no death option, where once you are at 10% HP mobs stop attacking and walk away.

This system would remove the timesink of having to walk back from respawn spot and have to rebuff etc..... 

Sengi

Advanced Member

10/19/13 1:40:14 PM#85

I think this round table poll suffers from badly designed options, like many before. Especially the third option can mean radical different things for different people. I guess this is the reason why it pooled up so many votes. Therefore its hard to say what the outcome of the poll actually means.

• What does "fairly high" mean? Fairly high compared to what?
  • Is "fairly high" the same as "hefty" or less? Is the third option the same as the second one without the group-aspect?
  • How much XP loss; do you lose a whole level with every death ore only a tiny amount of XP?
  • Does Equipment-damage mean Equipment-loss, or is it easily repairable?

It is the same with the fourth option. How much XP-loss is there and how much time does it cost, 30 minutes or 30 seconds?

Laiquendi

Novice Member

10/19/13 3:15:11 PM#86
The way they are molding this game, Im going to have to say it would work perfectly with an exp penalties of a moderate level. Nothing harsh. So far this game is focused on fun and simple. Theres no way they will so anything more then that.

Boneserino

Elite Member

10/19/13 5:09:56 PM#87
Originally posted by Sengi
Originally posted by Elikal

That too. It is my experience that most people have no idea what is good for them.

Even if someone truly would enjoy harsh penalities, do people REALLY thing it is good advise to SoE to implement a harsh death penality? In an expensive Triple A MMO?? In 2013?

THINK people. Try to make a difference between what is your personal quirk and what realistically is good for a MMO in our days! Any halfway harsh penality would make the game sink faster than the Titanic! I don't know why they even ASK the question. Sheesh. Haven't they learned anything from "race restrictions"? It just puts DUMB ideas into people's minds.

It's like asking a child, do you want chocolate or vegetables? Oh, sorry, we decided to have only veggies because they are healthier for you! Oh, then DON'T MENTION the damn chocolate!

SoE would be much better off, changing the Round Table to a sort of forum. So they can ask a question like this, but don't give multiple pre-formulate choices, but everyone could answer is a freeform text reply, becaus it would be WAY more interesting to hear WHY someone is for something, than what he is for. Anyone can say yay or nay, but the explanations are what would matter.

It think this a very pessimistic point of view. You basically say that  SOE should procure a casual game for the casual market, and that they should give the casualty what they already know. This is what created SWTOR and that one blew up like the Death Star two month after release. I thought EQN set of to be different. I think to experience the trill of a harsh death penalty would be new and interesting to players who haven't seen it before.

I think your metaphor is wrong. To have no death penalty or one that doesn't matter is the easy instant-gratification solution. That would be the chocolate. Maybe it is a good idea to give some vegetables to a child that has eaten nothing but chocolate for the last 10 years. Maybe it will like it. And maybe it has grown old enough to understand what would bring more satisfaction in the long run.

I'm also seeing this from a player's perspective. I don't really care if EQN is an financial success if it has to be dumbed down to do so. I'm sorry but I only really care for games that meet my personal taste. Financial success is for me just a means to an end, and only to the money is reinvested into the game. Of course it is different for SOE but that is their problem.

I take it you won't be playing the game then , because your problem is not SOE's problem either. 

Either give players choices on what the penalty will be, or you are left with  trying to find a balance of what the majority wants.   My guess is  what they want is not permadeath.  Or anything close to it.

Just a hunch.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Sengi

Advanced Member

10/19/13 7:56:34 PM#88
Originally posted by Boneserino

I take it you won't be playing the game then , because your problem is not SOE's problem either. 

Either give players choices on what the penalty will be, or you are left with  trying to find a balance of what the majority wants.   My guess is  what they want is not permadeath.  Or anything close to it.

Just a hunch.

No, I don't like permadeath at all. As I see it I fall into the majority of people that what the death penalty to be "hefty" or "fairly high". I don't even insist on corpse-runs, I would be fine with another type of death penalty, it only has to have a real impact. I think there is no real adventure if you can't lose anything. It shouldn't be trivial if the character dies. It makes the game world feel more real.

I just wanted to point out that above all I want EQN to be a great game, and that it is stupid to support a feature that will impair the game in order to appeal to a hypothetical casual crowd. I guess the dev team is at least partly making the game because they have an artistic vision and not only because they want easy money.

It is still not clear what EQN is going to do. They set off to redefine the mmo-genre and not to make another WoW clone. That would include not to copy WoWs ghost-runs.

Ender4

Advanced Member

10/20/13 12:06:12 AM#89

I think this round table poll suffers from badly designed options, like many before. Especially the third option can mean radical different things for different people. I guess this is the reason why it pooled up so many votes. Therefore its hard to say what the outcome of the poll actually means.

I don't think they care all that much about the poll results. They are much more interested in the feedback on the forums that the polls incite.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search