Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Heroes of the Storm

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,502 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,214
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » EVERQUEST NEXT New Gameplay video from PAX 2013

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
128 posts found
  mcast1234

Apprentice Member

9/06/13 4:09:12 AM#101

Face it, us old school EQers are out the door.

Todays games are all about keeping the kiddies happy "oooo look at the forward flips I can do, look at my huge sword and cartoon armour"

If you want a true sandbox play Wurm or Eve, it's stupidity to think any new popular game will have any depth, so stop doing it.

rungard

Novice Member

The Sandbox Foundation does not exist!

9/06/13 7:58:41 AM#102
Originally posted by mcast1234

Todays games are all about keeping the kiddies happy "oooo look at the forward flips I can do, look at my huge sword and cartoon armour"

If you want a true sandbox play Wurm or Eve, it's stupidity to think any new popular game will have any depth, so stop doing it.

I disagree with you there, well partially.

It is true that old school eq'ers are out the door but you have to be realistic about that. No one wants that anymore and they haven't for a very long time.

I disagree about the depth. You get to multiclass with 40+ classes to play with. You can literally make your own class from a basic structure. Way beyond anything eq ever had. No levels!!!

You have the power to create and destroy the environment. Way beyond anything eq ever had or any other game for that matter.

Artwork and movement style doesn't have anything to do with depth.

you don't even have enough information to write it off yet.

grifj

Novice Member

9/06/13 4:35:54 PM#103
Originally posted by rungard

It is true that old school eq'ers are out the door but you have to be realistic about that. No one wants that anymore and they haven't for a very long time.

Wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong.  

Stop trying to speak for everyone.  A LOT of us want an old-school EQ style MMO.   Among my little circle of gaming friends (which admittedly is a very small sample of about 15-20 folks), I'd say about 75% are less excited about EQN than they were before the release and are looking elsewhere now for their PVE fix.  Some don't like the graphics and general game philosophy, others don't like the be-everything multiclass design.  Most of us were hoping that EQN would truly be a "return" to the world of Norrath and EQ1.

I can't wait until even a mid-tier dev company makes a true EQ1 type game.  Heck, make it sandboxy, give it the emergent AI, give it the world quests, give it SWG/Eve-style crafting/economy..  great.. just make everything else similar to EQ1.  Heck, can you imagine gigantic dungeons that are not populated at the start, but that are filled by storybricks AI mobs that spawn and then wander the dungeon until they find a place they want to camp?  Make variable mob spawns with varying degrees of strength (so an orc might spawn slightly easier or tougher than average.. or a named might spawn 1 out of 100 times).. Now that would be awesome.

Vivasvan

Novice Member

9/06/13 4:52:07 PM#104

There are many many that want old school EQ1 type play with new game engines. Many. Heck 80% of every recent mmo guild I've been in shout for it.  The forums in each game are asking for old school MMO play atmosphere.

The reason why all recent mmo have been failures is because they are all NOT doing this. That is why so many mmos are dead within a year or two.

Soon someone is going to create exactly what MMO RPGers want.

Dungeons , dragons, swords, shields, medieval feel, hardcore raiding gaming. This game when it comes out will be the next big wow killer. Many will flock to this game. Why? Because every other MMO that has come out recently is doing things so different and vast from the player base that made this genre that player base has neglected it. It's full of kids who want shiny loot without hardcore trying.

Oh soon we will get what 80% of the MMO genre true player base wants. And then all these companies will kick themselves. 

Vivasvan

Novice Member

9/06/13 4:57:57 PM#105

Just seen the video. 

Embarrassing or what.   Tomb raider ??? Wtf is all that jumping spinning about. 

Seriously the is some arcade tomb raider style tomb raider mess up.

ugh Sony.  Remove everquest from this title please. Before Everytime someone mentions everquest are ridiculed. 

Karteli

Elite Member

9/06/13 5:08:16 PM#106

I disagree about the depth. You get to multiclass with 40+ classes to play with. You can literally make your own class from a basic structure. Way beyond anything eq ever had. No levels!!!

You have the power to create and destroy the environment. Way beyond anything eq ever had or any other game for that matter.

Accessibility is the worth enemy of longevity.

I'm not sure about the "No one wants that anymore and they haven't for a very long time."  You might not want it, or you never experienced it, because of past lackluster designs, which are made comparable somehow.  But EQ1 (even WoW Vanilla, spawned by EQ1 players) had depth and longevity & live on as great games with intricacy.

I dislike the "jack-of-all-trades" philosophy getting tossed around, as being Sandbox.  A game can be sandbox, yet still have class and social structure.  EQN seems to be designed around altaholics, who find it necessary to get every class, just like it was important to get every Vista in GW2.

I'm not interested in being a jack-of-all-trades, or an altaholic.  I want to craft my character into a specific profession.  I can't expect to be an aircraft mechanic, a skilled painter, and an Egyptian archeologist all in one lifetime, so having EQN do 40 professions (let alone 3) in 1 body is immersion breaking.

Destruction & general artwork I have no issue with (mentioned in your post).  Combat is bleech!, but that is another post.  Parkour is unappealing ..:/

As to not having enough information .. people are going off of what is said or shown by SOE.  If there isn't enough information, that is a severe problem on SOE's part.  It's more likely that what was shown is actually accurate, thus no need for further announcements.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Rippley05

Novice Member

9/06/13 9:43:30 PM#107

I agree. This looks like Superman/Wonderwoman meets WoW. It looks retarded. Animations are bad, flying and flipping around. Why is it so hard for these people to understand that there are hundreds of games with this hack-n-slash, backflip unrealistic garbage out there? 

Extremely disappointing. SoE has had success once and failed multiple times since, so I don't know why I expected more. Not trying to be harsh, but this game will have a vanguard style lifespan..maybe slightly longer because there is basically nothing left on the PC to play .

saurus123

Elite Member

9/06/13 9:56:07 PM#108
Originally posted by Rippley05

I agree. This looks like Superman/Wonderwoman meets WoW. It looks retarded. Animations are bad, flying and flipping around. Why is it so hard for these people to understand that there are hundreds of games with this hack-n-slash, backflip unrealistic garbage out there? 

Extremely disappointing. SoE has had success once and failed multiple times since, so I don't know why I expected more. Not trying to be harsh, but this game will have a vanguard style lifespan..maybe slightly longer because there is basically nothing left on the PC to play .

it wasnt made for PC its made for consoles

thats why we see what we see on these videos

Rippley05

Novice Member

9/06/13 9:59:40 PM#109

I have plenty enough information to write it off. The terrible graphic choice, WoW clone armor and character models (judging from the donkey crap drawing) the disney faced lion warrior doing power ranger/ninja gaiden moves.  The flips, animations and all that other "flashy" nonsense is clearly directed towards kids and people not smart enough to look deeper. It's the "ohhh shiny!" effect. 

Multiclass with 40 classes? That sounds like a terrible balancing nightmare, eq2 also had plenty of choice. No levels? Why? Wheres the sense of accomplishment and "loyalty" to your character gonna come from? Create my environment? With minecraft style games? Seriously?? You can say we have the ability to destroy  environment beyond anything we know, but how do you know? It obviously can't be changed forever or they're gonna have to basically create a new environment multiple times per day for the lifespan of the game. Sorry, no. Besides, they don't wanna do anything that will permanently change the game because it will not attract new players. Why would anyone play a game that's been out for months that they never had a chance to do the "cool" stuff in?

Artwork and movement style/animation might not equal depth, but it is a HUGE part of the game.  It looks like every hack-n-slash, super hero, RPG style game on a console and that's exactly what they want. They are trying to create a WoW style look with a console feel (combat, animation) and bring it to the ps4. SoE has seen the success blizzard has had, and they want the same thing. Imitation over innovation. 

Realbigdeal

Advanced Member

9/06/13 10:47:01 PM#110

There's so many loud minority in here it's crazy.

In every other forum that i visit, i hear ppl saying that EQN will be the best thing. The rating in this website proves it.

On mmorpg, it's mostly the loud minority that are posting and they think their opinions hold weight or reflects what most ppl think.

They say it's too fantastic, too much unrealistic leap(in the video). Do you guys even realize that it's a rogue and not a warrior or mage? Of course he is good with movement. IT's 1000 time better than the ol slealth(Invisibility) lame effects that most mmo's use for a rogue.

You also have to realize that you're just giving a bad name to this website coz everyone knows that the community in here is worse than heroes of newerth. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Karteli

Elite Member

9/06/13 11:20:36 PM#111
Originally posted by Realbigdeal

There's so many loud minority in here it's crazy.

In every other forum that i visit, i hear ppl saying that EQN will be the best thing. The rating in this website proves it.

On mmorpg, it's mostly the loud minority that are posting and they think their opinions hold weight or reflects what most ppl think.

They say it's too fantastic, too much unrealistic leap(in the video). Do you guys even realize that it's a rogue and not a warrior or mage? Of course he is good with movement. IT's 1000 time better than the ol slealth(Invisibility) lame effects that most mmo's use for a rogue.

You also have to realize that you're just giving a bad name to this website coz everyone knows that the community in here is worse than heroes of newerth. 

You may wish to re-investigate those other forums ..

If you are speaking about  the SOE forums, for instance, anyone who dissents from the norm gets deleted.

Just pointing that out.

So if your new here on MMORPG, you might be shocked by negativity :P

Of course now there will be a flood of SOE employees and investors who slam me. =-D

Negativity is allowed, because, frankly, there is nowhere else to talk about it.   And there is plenty of negativity to go around, don't even fool yourself =D

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

itchmon

Hard Core Member

9/06/13 11:29:24 PM#112

@ those who are complaining that the character's parkour moves are defying physics:

a mage shooting a fireball out of his hands also defies physics.  Considering most fantasy MMOs contain this, you guys have a lot of complaining to do.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

9/06/13 11:40:34 PM#113

I liked all of the whole video which i watched a week ago,except the unreal tournament double jump idea,that looks out of place in this game.

I do applaud the added effort on animations,i have grown tired of developers cutting as many corners as they can and trying to tell how great their game is.

I have never had a problem with SOE games,just their cash shop,i expect this game will be a solid game.

What has me wondering though is how these animations will work with player made content.Is it possible these are just scripted scenes from quests or missions and we won't see these animations throughout the game?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

Allein

Elite Member

9/07/13 2:40:45 AM#114

My takeaway from all this:

Some think SOE should copy the original wheel or redesign it for 2013. While I believe SOE is trying to create a hover car without wheels.

Some people will never get off the ground, while others will enjoy their time in the sky. Both have the potential to crash horribly, but there is a lot more evidence that the original wheel model just doesn't cut the mustard and hasn't for a long time. If SOE doesn't try something new, they'll never know if they have a hit or not.

"Many" want EQ3, "Many" more might want EQN if they knew about it.

EQ3 caters to a very particular crowd, most of which abandoned the original EQ years ago and are partly responsible for why it is not the same game it was. EQN caters to a huge number of potential customers from a wide variety of gaming styles. Catering to only a small percent (very small in old school EQ's case) is not a wise business move.

EQN is the first game in a long time where I actually want to try out various parts of the game and not only grind or raid or pvp. I can't see myself ever getting bored if they can live up to even a portion of what they are promising.

I feel bad for those that limit themselves and put themselves in a box "I play this type of game and this type of game only!" I'm going on 18 years of online gaming and can't wait for the next 18 years and everything that it will bring.

We know very little hard fact about EQN, but they are promising quite a lot. I'm hopeful that they can deliver. Dismissing the entire game based off of a few flips or one of who knows how many race models is silly. Give it some time to literally develop...

Rydeson

Hard Core Member

9/07/13 5:17:39 AM#115
Originally posted by itchmon

@ those who are complaining that the character's parkour moves are defying physics:

a mage shooting a fireball out of his hands also defies physics.  Considering most fantasy MMOs contain this, you guys have a lot of complaining to do.

I wouldn't call it defying phisics.. Oh sure a Jedi can do amazing things, but this isn't star wars, and even it was, ONLY the Jedi can do parkour moves, not your everyday stormtroopers..  Anways, I view playing a fantasy MMO similar to experiencing Lord of the Rings.. Did Frodo and the gang bounce around like a bunch of rabbits on steroids?  NO, they did not.. From what I'm seeing in the videos, EQN is playing more like some cheap arcade game made for the PS3/4, then the PC.. It is a game breaker for me.. 

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

9/07/13 5:20:08 AM#116
Originally posted by grimgryphon
Originally posted by Ayulin

So everyone will be doing Parkour in EQN?

Hmmm

And we thought bunny-hopping in WoW was bad...

Exactly, OMG!!!! We can do different jumping animations, wow!!!!!! /rollseyes

oilthu

Apprentice Member

9/07/13 5:49:05 AM#117
Originally posted by Allein
Total agreement. So tired of all the haters that want a game to be more punishment then entertainment. Complaining that a game is not designed for 40 year old men. I was 17 or so when EQ came out. It was not designed for old men, sorry to break it to everyone that thinks it was some mature, dark, realistic themed fantasy game.

I'm a ~40 year old man and i'm totally in love with the game and the direction its taken so please keep your sweeping generalisations to yourself,

I would love to know who you thought they developed the original EQ for as i believe it as the geeky/nerdy MUD crowd - you know the people who actually played PnP rpg's as opposed to the frothing at the mouth, unable to reason logically ADHD crowd they develop for nowadays.

I miss those days for sure, not because the games were better, or the developers werent motivated by greed, but simply because 95% of the people i met were just like me - a geek and a nerd - made conversing and making friends easier as i join a guild now and its all knob gags, racism, facism and vile haters of everything spouting off 24/7. And yes, worldwide gaming community guilds i'm looking at YOU!

HighMarshal

Hard Core Member

9/07/13 8:39:08 AM#118
My first character in EQN will be as close a remake of my old 2nd edition D&D wizard as I can get. She was a Half Elf Weretiger wizard so the animations will fit her. I don't see a Dwarf doing all that though, at least not more than once without a cleric being on hand.
  StanlyStanko

Novice Member

9/07/13 11:31:01 AM#119

Another arcade-action console-system crapfest....

Good thing they aren't wasting the name "Everquest 3" on this embarrassing cartoon interlude.

rungard

Novice Member

The Sandbox Foundation does not exist!

9/07/13 1:17:42 PM#120
Originally posted by Allein

My takeaway from all this:

Some think SOE should copy the original wheel or redesign it for 2013. While I believe SOE is trying to create a hover car without wheels.

Some people will never get off the ground, while others will enjoy their time in the sky. Both have the potential to crash horribly, but there is a lot more evidence that the original wheel model just doesn't cut the mustard and hasn't for a long time. If SOE doesn't try something new, they'll never know if they have a hit or not.

"Many" want EQ3, "Many" more might want EQN if they knew about it.

EQ3 caters to a very particular crowd, most of which abandoned the original EQ years ago and are partly responsible for why it is not the same game it was. EQN caters to a huge number of potential customers from a wide variety of gaming styles. Catering to only a small percent (very small in old school EQ's case) is not a wise business move.

EQN is the first game in a long time where I actually want to try out various parts of the game and not only grind or raid or pvp. I can't see myself ever getting bored if they can live up to even a portion of what they are promising.

I feel bad for those that limit themselves and put themselves in a box "I play this type of game and this type of game only!" I'm going on 18 years of online gaming and can't wait for the next 18 years and everything that it will bring.

We know very little hard fact about EQN, but they are promising quite a lot. I'm hopeful that they can deliver. Dismissing the entire game based off of a few flips or one of who knows how many race models is silly. Give it some time to literally develop...

well said. This is NOT eq3, Its EQN and I believe a breath of fresh air is required and that is what it is shaping up to be.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search