Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,295 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,973
Snail Game | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/14)  | Pub:Snail Game
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Black Gold Forum » General Discussion » Black Gold Bussines Model

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
46 posts found
  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

OP  7/29/13 1:33:44 PM#1

Hey guys.

So i was looking at this Article from mmoculture and i couldnt find info on mmorpg so i thought i would share it with you guys.

Black Gold Online, the upcoming mmorpg from Snail Games (makers of Wushu) has a really strange business model. No subscription, No cash shop and no limitations. However,  the good quality loot dropped from monsters is locked behind a pay wall. A dice roll is in place and if you are lucky you could get a small discount on the unlock payment for the loot. Otherwise you can only wear basic and less valuable gear which is not locked behind real money pay wall. It might sound like non restrictive but its actually bad, being locked out of every quality loot you could get to improve your character means you will always suck unless you pay money. That is pay to win right there. Whoever pays for loot unlock will always beat you.

I personally think this is pure garbage. This "new" model that, according to Snail Games, is intended to reduce the number of "useless drops" from mobs, which is a big fat lie.......it is obviously aimed towards wallets.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/black-gold-online-interesting-business-model-announced/

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

OP  7/29/13 2:50:24 PM#2
bump.

Myrdynn

Hard Core Member

7/29/13 3:04:59 PM#3

lol, that is awful, snail games sucks already

Destai

Hard Core Member

7/29/13 3:07:57 PM#4
It would be beyond foolish to support this game. I hope it fails for such exploitation. 

Current MMOs: Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World, World of Warcraft

Past Loves: Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest

GwapoJosh

Advanced Member

7/29/13 3:09:23 PM#5
Originally posted by Myrdynn

Snail games sucks balls and so does their Wushu.. One thing is for sure though, If you say something bad about Wushu, Bcbully will report you..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

OP  7/29/13 3:18:22 PM#6
Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Snail games sucks balls and so does their Wushu.. One thing is for sure though, If you say something bad about Wushu, Bcbully will report you..

i actually really like Wushu. But im not playing anymore beucase 1) they dont sell permanent bags (you rent them and they expire). THats crap, if i have to constantly keep paying to keep my inventory at max size i prefer to pay a subscription for a higher quality game. and 2) There is something PvE related that is completely missing from Wushu and i just cant tell what is it. Probably just more PvE content overall.
Other than that i really like the game and i hope it gets better.

On the other hand, this new scam model for Black Gold is just beyond ridiculous.

Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

7/29/13 3:39:16 PM#7

Woa, that kind freaks me out.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

Tuchaka

Advanced Member

7/29/13 3:44:21 PM#8
Ya I stopped playing AOW because of the way they run their cash shop, not because its a bad game. Looks like I won't be playing this game either, players need to avoid games like Black Desert or we are encouraging worse and worse cash shop policies.
  Myrdynn

Hard Core Member

7/29/13 7:23:17 PM#9
Originally posted by Tuchaka
Ya I stopped playing AOW because of the way they run their cash shop, not because its a bad game. Looks like I won't be playing this game either, players need to avoid games like Black Desert or we are encouraging worse and worse cash shop policies.

this is Black Gold, dont confuse it with Black Desert

Tuchaka

Advanced Member

7/29/13 7:27:00 PM#10
....which is exactly what i did.....dohhh
  Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

7/29/13 7:29:37 PM#11
Originally posted by rojo6934

No subscription, No cash shop and no limitations. 

a pay wall.

I don't get it.

who built the wall. the f2p'ers, the b2p'ers or the p2p'ers ?

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

7/29/13 7:30:14 PM#12
I think it's horrible, but that's just me. The market will decide whether it is viable or not.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fovoroth

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

7/29/13 7:35:38 PM#13

so it is born at last...

f2p-p2p hybrid = infinite trial.

b2p-p2p hybrid = tiered subscription plan. aka freemium.

f2p-b2p hybrid = this. no other known cases.

behold the birth of the last payment model possible.

Smikis

Advanced Member

7/29/13 7:49:57 PM#14
thought this was about black desert, phew, who gives a damn about black gold, no model would save this game from being trash
  Loktofeit

Elite Member

7/30/13 1:40:43 AM#15
Originally posted by Robokapp

Guild Wars 2.

Other than World of Pirates, i don't know of any other MMO in existence that fits the B2P definition.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fovoroth

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

7/30/13 3:45:49 AM#16
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Guild Wars 2.

Other than World of Pirates, i don't know of any other MMO in existence that fits the B2P definition.

exactly what about GW2 is not pure b2p ?

there's no hybrid there, that's just classic b2p.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

7/30/13 7:20:39 AM#17
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Guild Wars 2.

exactly what about GW2 is not pure b2p ?

there's no hybrid there, that's just classic b2p.

The cash shop. GW2 is no different than any other item mall MMO other than the box fee up front. Something MMO gamers don't seem to realize is that "buy to play" didn't exist until MMO gamers made it up. They basically handed a gold mine to devs because not only did they give the f2p devs a way to position against subscription without getting bombarded by F2P hate, but it saved them the nightmare of having to justify their front loaded box fee.

When GW2 came out and MMO gamers handed them this "business model" on a silver platter, there was a collective celebration across the industry. Since then you have seen Richard Garriott, Mark Jacobs, and several others start using the term.

Guild Wars 2 is an item mall game with a front loaded box fee.

jesteralways

Hard Core Member

7/30/13 7:33:27 AM#18
Originally posted by GwapoJosh

i actually really like Wushu. But im not playing anymore beucase 1) they dont sell permanent bags (you rent them and they expire). THats crap, if i have to constantly keep paying to keep my inventory at max size i prefer to pay a subscription for a higher quality game. and 2) There is something PvE related that is completely missing from Wushu and i just cant tell what is it. Probably just more PvE content overall.
Other than that i really like the game and i hope it gets better.

On the other hand, this new scam model for Black Gold is just beyond ridiculous.

So you don't mind paying 1$ in form of GOLD(AoW cash shop currency) to post a single message in trade or global chat? if an mmo locks communication behind paywall that is a big let down for me. and add expiring cash shop item with it. no matter how good the game is, that kind of payment model is horrible. 

i want a open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

Biskop

Novice Member

8/20/13 11:39:33 AM#19
Bizarre, but I'm not surprised at all. Snail Games have this habit of releasing good games that they ruin by stupid business models. AoW could have been a great game if it wasn't for Snail's inability to handle and promote the gem they had on their hands.

I haven't followed Black Gold so I can't comment on its quality but it looks decent enough. Too bad it will flop hard with this ridiculous payment model.
  LungingWolf

Apprentice Member

Stuck in the desert as I look for the promised land of MMOs, or at least a nice oasis to sit at.

8/27/13 8:29:13 PM#20

Hey guys.

So i was looking at this Article from mmoculture and i couldnt find info on mmorpg so i thought i would share it with you guys.

Black Gold Online, the upcoming mmorpg from Snail Games (makers of Wushu) has a really strange business model. No subscription, No cash shop and no limitations. However,  the good quality loot dropped from monsters is locked behind a pay wall. A dice roll is in place and if you are lucky you could get a small discount on the unlock payment for the loot. Otherwise you can only wear basic and less valuable gear which is not locked behind real money pay wall. It might sound like non restrictive but its actually bad, being locked out of every quality loot you could get to improve your character means you will always suck unless you pay money. That is pay to win right there. Whoever pays for loot unlock will always beat you.

I personally think this is pure garbage. This "new" model that, according to Snail Games, is intended to reduce the number of "useless drops" from mobs, which is a big fat lie.......it is obviously aimed towards wallets.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/black-gold-online-interesting-business-model-announced/

I agree. I was interested in Black Gold Online. That is, until I started looking into their business model. Then, without hesitation, I stopped researching it and moved on.

Currently playing: Rift.
Waiting for: The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P), Everquest: Next.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search