Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,754 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,464
Pearl Abyss | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:DAUM Korea
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Black Desert Forum » General Discussion » Gender locking what do you think?

13 posts found
  gotha

Novice Member

OP  10/24/13 10:28:56 AM#1
I do not mind gender locking for one or two classes but I kind of feel they have gone overboard.  The sorcerer looks so cool,  but it seems it is gender locked.  
  Xer0id

Hard Core Member

10/24/13 11:21:08 AM#2

Gender locking what do you think?

AmbrosiaAmor

Novice Member

10/31/13 8:26:08 AM#3
I hope it doesn't have any gender locks. It is a pet peeve of mine, but not so big that it would deter me from playing/trying out a new MMO. By the way, how rude of that guy to jump out the window and not close it afterwards. Usually there is a pretty high draft that high up and people could easily get the sniffles!

alyosha17

Apprentice Member

10/31/13 6:28:20 PM#4
Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
I hope it doesn't have any gender locks. It is a pet peeve of mine, but not so big that it would deter me from playing/trying out a new MMO. By the way, how rude of that guy to jump out the window and not close it afterwards. Usually there is a pretty high draft that high up and people could easily get the sniffles!

There is some gender/race lock.

Class, race, and gender are all bundled together.  So you pick character presets.  That said, BD say that they are working on many different presets, including female/male versions of each type of class.  So there will be a wizard and a sorceress making up the male and female mage counterparts respectively.  They won't be exactly the same class though.

I think this is a fairly bad decision, personally.  What are they actually achieving in making drastically different male/female versions?  In some ways it's cutting corners, but in other ways it's just giving them more work, and also annoys players who - by and large - expect a lot more customisation.

Even with the gender,race, class lock, I still think this game is fascinating, and maybe this feature will actually distinguish it from contemporaries.  I mean, it's not common to have a developer make a female and a male version of the same class.  Usually, they will just reskin with a male/female model.  So, it's a double edged sword, i guess.

RabidMouth

Novice Member

10/31/13 6:49:53 PM#5
I have never been able to stick with a game that locked me to a specific gender. It drives me nuts.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

bcbully

Elite Member

10/31/13 8:42:43 PM#6
I've never noticed... No big deal at all for me. If they think that's the way to go, I'll go with what they think. After all they built the thing.
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/31/13 11:18:51 PM#7
I prefer to be able to make whatever character race and gender I like, but it's not a dealbreaker in a game for me. This game looks really interesting, almost like a spiritual successor to Lineage. I wish there was a pvp-optional server, but I doubt they will do that.

Curse you AquaScum!

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

11/01/13 4:25:34 AM#8

gender lock  means I'm not interested.

Simply not acceptable .

rpg-maniac

Advanced Member

12/02/13 1:50:58 PM#9
I always play female Wizard this game have male Wizard only & as I know because I ask them in fb they don't plan to make a female version because as they say it needs time to make the extra animations... lol? just reading this make me loose all interest about this game their attitude is lazy no other company would answer like that there is hundreds of other MMORPGs out there  that offer both male & female for any cls & those devs bored to create a 2nd gender for each cls because it needs time go figure...
  Felencia

Novice Member

12/16/13 10:15:55 PM#10

Got to love template play. Just like Vindictus and S.u.N. It is what most developers use so they can rush production. This game reminds me so much of Vindictus, that I am not expecting anything different.

Sure they may make a male/female version of each class. Hell a few games have done that. But honestly it is what you have to deal with when choosing a game. Either Sandbox, Template, or Theme Park play. To explain each in context that is easier to understand.

Template= Scripted outcome no matter what person you roll even if same class will always come to the same conclusion. Sandbox = Some freedom, can make custom characters but in the end rolling new characters have the same outcome. Theme Park= Total freedom of what and where you can do, or go, however only based on the games limitations.

However in saying that, Koreans favor Template games. Always have. As westerners we have always enjoyed Sandbox or Theme Park play. The reason everyone loved WoW for so long is due to it's sandbox like quality. I miss Ultima Online that was a true Theme Park game, I know it still exists but EA destroys everything they touch.

My opinion on BD is simply that it reminds me so much of Vindictus that I am not expecting anything more than what Vindictus offers. These were the same issues/discussions that I had seen before Vindictus was released. So I will treat it as such, if it is free to play I will try it if not then I will let it sit on the shelf at the store.

Hanthos

Apprentice Member

PROUD P2P Elitist...

12/16/13 10:25:44 PM#11
I still want to try it, but gender locking does put a damper on the enthusiasm.
  monochrome19

Novice Member

12/16/13 10:29:42 PM#12
I dont mind. Anyone who thinks otherwise is overreacting.
  KhinRunite

Novice Member

12/16/13 10:34:09 PM#13
I remember playing Granado Espada. This will be just like that, minus the 3-man team system. In hindsight that game looked gorgeous for its time but in the end it didn't take long before I got turned off by so many clones of me running around.