Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Hearthstone | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,857 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,414
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » So Richard Garriott ...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
75 posts found
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  4/14/14 6:03:30 AM#41
Originally posted by gothokaos
Originally posted by Aragon100

This vision dont exist anymore. It went 100% carebear.

After a year of whining the PvE players got their completely safe game world. There are no risk vs reward or consequences in SotA. The combat system will be a random, luck based cardgame.

So it is the same story we seen the last +10 years, PvE players destroy it for the PvP players. They got all their wishes and everything the PvP crowd over at SotA forum wanted was denied by Richard Garriott and his developer friends.

So yes i will definetly pass on this game. 

LOL! He is whining about "the carebears" now! We ruined EVERYTHING!!

Maybe Richard will give you a graveyard outside of town so you can guard kill players! How about UOAssist? How about the other tools that let you see hidden players? 2 vs 15 LOL!! Now that is unbalanced unless your talking about killing new players! Sounds like Kung Fu theater!

Ultima Online released in 1997!! I played and PVP'ed back then too! You don't see me whining about "The good ole days of ganking." They changed the game for a reason. The investors want popular games with subs, not people leaving because they keep getting griefed everytime they leave the city.

You just want to be able to gank people again! Admit it!

I have no idea where you got the ganking from. Me myself play in one of the most skilled PvP guilds ever and we usually fight against equally skilled players outnumbered. The ganking can stand for you.

2vs15 was not the standard day but our best two PvP players in UO during UO renaissance time could manage those odds sometimes. And pre-trammel was another game then post-trammel in felucca. Post-trammel was way more balanced and you fought players that wanted the fight. Praying on newbies is not our style.

What SotA developers did was only listening to one part of their community, the PvE players. All suggestions made by the PvP crowd was rejected. That is not listening to your community. That is selective listening.

SotA would have been alot more successful and have a way bigger community if it was the coming UO2. Carebear games are easy to find but a UO2 game would have stood out as something different then the mainstream crap we see today.

grndzro

Advanced Member

4/14/14 6:12:50 AM#42

IDFC the game is comming to Linux :)

Will buy will play.

Maribu

Apprentice Member

5/15/14 2:48:08 PM#43
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

How awful, griefers won't be playing this game... you know, the less than 1% of gamers who only play games where they can ruin other player's day. SotA is DOOMED, it only has the 99% remaining player base as potential customer...

I think Richard is just fine, and he has actually shown that he learned from past mistakes and understood why Trammel had to be added to UO for the game to survive.

Really? That's why their is an uproar over at SotA forums where old UO PvP players feel they hane been betrayed. Developers gave the game to the PvE players and every suggestion the PvP crowd had was sidestepped by developers. I suggest you inform yourself. And you claiming it is only griefers complaining is laughable at best.

SotA have lost loads of hardcore PvP players. Why should they play a game that only take interest in  PvE players or casual PvP players?

Really?  I don't see any uproar over there.  What I see is the majority of pvp players willing to give the system a chance, and a very small group of whiners throwing a tantrum because they saw what they wanted to see rather than what was actually said. 

There will be pvp in the game, it will be open pvp but only with those who also want it,  and with the sorting system, you will hardly ever see the people who have opted out of pvp.  Is that the problem?  This attitude reminds me so much of all the whining that went on from those who were griefers (not the rational pvpers), after all their "victims' moved to Trammel.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

5/15/14 2:57:58 PM#44
The problem is you hand over money with no agreement. At best its been, "We gona try and get this done with the money" There is no way to hold any one accountable. If you invest in a product this way, it can only be done with no expectations. Who is happy they helped fund Facebooks new 3D glasses Oculus? Did anyone get their cut? That was going to be a cheap option for gamers to get 3D. lol
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/15/14 9:30:41 PM#45
Originally posted by Maribu
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

How awful, griefers won't be playing this game... you know, the less than 1% of gamers who only play games where they can ruin other player's day. SotA is DOOMED, it only has the 99% remaining player base as potential customer...

I think Richard is just fine, and he has actually shown that he learned from past mistakes and understood why Trammel had to be added to UO for the game to survive.

Really? That's why their is an uproar over at SotA forums where old UO PvP players feel they hane been betrayed. Developers gave the game to the PvE players and every suggestion the PvP crowd had was sidestepped by developers. I suggest you inform yourself. And you claiming it is only griefers complaining is laughable at best.

SotA have lost loads of hardcore PvP players. Why should they play a game that only take interest in  PvE players or casual PvP players?

Really?  I don't see any uproar over there.  What I see is the majority of pvp players willing to give the system a chance, and a very small group of whiners throwing a tantrum because they saw what they wanted to see rather than what was actually said. 

There will be pvp in the game, it will be open pvp but only with those who also want it,  and with the sorting system, you will hardly ever see the people who have opted out of pvp.  Is that the problem?  This attitude reminds me so much of all the whining that went on from those who were griefers (not the rational pvpers), after all their "victims' moved to Trammel.

You wish, I have seen loads of old forum followers disappearing when the PvP system was revealed. So the ones you see today over there is mainly casual PvP players, the old UO players have left the game in disapointment and dont interact anymore. They have given up on the game.

This will be very much revealed when the game goes live and everyone ask where are all the players?

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/15/14 9:32:41 PM#46
Originally posted by Nanfoodle
The problem is you hand over money with no agreement. At best its been, "We gona try and get this done with the money" There is no way to hold any one accountable. If you invest in a product this way, it can only be done with no expectations. Who is happy they helped fund Facebooks new 3D glasses Oculus? Did anyone get their cut? That was going to be a cheap option for gamers to get 3D. lol

SotA developers claimed this and that  nad held very little. They even claimed they listen to their community which they dont. They listen to a few vocal PvE players and all the PvP players suggestiont went in and out of their ears.

Tbau

Apprentice Member

5/15/14 9:38:16 PM#47

SotA developers claimed this and that  nad held very little. They even claimed they listen to their community which they dont. They listen to a few vocal PvE players and all the PvP players suggestiont went in and out of their ears.

Enough already, the polls on the SOTA site shows that the vast majority of backers do NOT want FFA. Deal with the fact that you are wrong.

stevebombsquad

Elite Member

5/15/14 9:43:18 PM#48

A few vocal PvE players....?????  It is a fact that the majority of players prefer PvE to PvP. This is why PvP is normally a secondary system in a MMO. Most of the people I know that played Ultima Online were more interested in the roleplaying, sandbox, and open world elements. Don't try to portray that you represent the majority because you don't. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Loktofeit

Advanced Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

5/15/14 10:05:03 PM#49
Originally posted by Shival
UO Vet here; played for 5 years on baja. Pledged for Sota. Happy with how its turning out. 

Been hearing the same from friends who have pledged and following it. It seems to be headed in a good direction. 

@OP, you already bumped your other thread. Did you need to create a new one, too?

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 6:18:10 AM#50
Originally posted by Tbau

Enough already, the polls on the SOTA site shows that the vast majority of backers do NOT want FFA. Deal with the fact that you are wrong.

Your wrong, a vast majority of the voters wanted full loot and not the carebear insurance system they instead implemented to please the carebears.

Consensual PvP is ok by me so dont put words in my mouth i never said.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 6:23:15 AM#51
Originally posted by stevebombsquad

A few vocal PvE players....?????  It is a fact that the majority of players prefer PvE to PvP. This is why PvP is normally a secondary system in a MMO. Most of the people I know that played Ultima Online were more interested in the roleplaying, sandbox, and open world elements. Don't try to portray that you represent the majority because you don't. 

You might be right but dont underestimate the numbers of old UO PvP players that pledged for SotA being the next UO PvP game. Especially since Richard Garriott claimed this SotA game should be a spiritual successor to UO.

Polls over at SotA forums tell us that a vast najority want a more hardcore game then the one developers choosed to make.

They didnt listen to their PvP community and instead went for pleasing the PvP uninterested PvE players every word. Just amazing.

tawess

Elite Member

5/16/14 6:38:33 AM#52

Man you are really angry.... That can not be good for the soul.

This is a simple case of majority rules... As others have explained to you. If 60% of the potential playerbase say they do not want the 1-2% that want a specific feature.. Guess who get their voice heard.

But you know what... I have a suggestion for you. This is a serious suggestion.... Put your arse on the line and make your own game... It is not very hard to make a basic PvP game. You do not even need to be able to create art or code... You just need to manage a team. With the summer coming up i am sure you can find a few weeks to read up on some basic programming and have a look at some free art asset collection. Free game engines for non-profit games are abundant and you can get all the audio you need for the price of a ticket to the cinema.

At least that is how i am going to spend my summer... Well not building a PvP game but something almost as epic and my plan is to unveil it in august/september. And if i can do it with out any proper training.. So can you.

So forget about this game that hurt you so bad... If Richard Garriott do not want to play with you... Become the next Garriott

Cheers

Tomas Soapbox

This have been a good conversation

Copperfield

Novice Member

5/16/14 6:48:51 AM#53

SOTA is a game that will fly on wings of UO with a BIG move towards money crabbing..

Instead of focussing on improvements and elements from UO there defo making this game with a point of view: how to make money and put systems in place to make this happen.

I do not get developers.. if they make a game that is fun to play and keep their playerbase happy.. the money will come naturally

Players will  have no problems to pay a sub for a game if the game is fun/challenging and new or/and improvements to a old succes

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 1:35:08 PM#54
Originally posted by tawess

Man you are really angry.... That can not be good for the soul.

This is a simple case of majority rules... As others have explained to you. If 60% of the potential playerbase say they do not want the 1-2% that want a specific feature.. Guess who get their voice heard.

But you know what... I have a suggestion for you. This is a serious suggestion.... Put your arse on the line and make your own game... It is not very hard to make a basic PvP game. You do not even need to be able to create art or code... You just need to manage a team. With the summer coming up i am sure you can find a few weeks to read up on some basic programming and have a look at some free art asset collection. Free game engines for non-profit games are abundant and you can get all the audio you need for the price of a ticket to the cinema.

At least that is how i am going to spend my summer... Well not building a PvP game but something almost as epic and my plan is to unveil it in august/september. And if i can do it with out any proper training.. So can you.

So forget about this game that hurt you so bad... If Richard Garriott do not want to play with you... Become the next Garriott

Cheers

My son make computer games and have plans for a hardcore Pv P game with old UO as rolemodel.

Just sad that my old hero Richard Garriott turned out to be this greedy. He promised big and delivered nothing. The man is just words.

redgang1

Apprentice Member

5/16/14 1:41:26 PM#55

I pledged for your game on your promise and i feel you tricked me. Dont worry though i wont go for a reclaim of my pledge, so you can keep my money but i want you to remember the way you managed to get it.

I think you over-estimate A: how often he reads these forums B: how much he actually cares about your opinion seeing as you are still donating to the game.

But i guess you feel better now as you got that off your chest.

Yeah he tricked me to pledge for something that was never there. I doubt he will ever repond to this cause he know i am right and that wont help him in his mission making SotA successful.

Don't feel bad, almost all KS are scams that allow devs to work with zero accountability. I doubt the backers of Hex had any idea it was going to copy every aspect of Magic the Gathering before they donated. Same with Brad McQuaid taking 1/3 of the money for "medical bills."

Until a high accountability centered Kickstarter program is created it's a complete waste of time and money.

Uhwop

Hard Core Member

5/16/14 1:47:02 PM#56

Last time this guy made an original game that people wanted to play games were able to be made by a single person on punch cards.  

Dont really get why people give him money to make a game regardless of what he says.  

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 2:33:03 PM#57
Originally posted by redgang1

I pledged for your game on your promise and i feel you tricked me. Dont worry though i wont go for a reclaim of my pledge, so you can keep my money but i want you to remember the way you managed to get it.

I think you over-estimate A: how often he reads these forums B: how much he actually cares about your opinion seeing as you are still donating to the game.

But i guess you feel better now as you got that off your chest.

Yeah he tricked me to pledge for something that was never there. I doubt he will ever repond to this cause he know i am right and that wont help him in his mission making SotA successful.

Don't feel bad, almost all KS are scams that allow devs to work with zero accountability. I doubt the backers of Hex had any idea it was going to copy every aspect of Magic the Gathering before they donated. Same with Brad McQuaid taking 1/3 of the money for "medical bills."

Until a high accountability centered Kickstarter program is created it's a complete waste of time and money.

Aye. Kickstarter can easily create expectations of something that in the end isnt delivered. Developers being vague and present the game as Richard Garriott did with words like "spiritual successor to UO" opens up for expectations that might not have been there in the beginning.

Developers should have to inform in detail what the game features are so people dont pledge for games that turn out to be something completely different.

Tbau

Apprentice Member

5/16/14 2:34:53 PM#58

Your wrong, a vast majority of the voters wanted full loot and not the carebear insurance system they instead implemented to please the carebears.

Provide the link to the poll, so I can provide a link to the poll proving you are wrong because the poll with the most voters is not in favor of full loot or FFA.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 4:47:29 PM#59

Provide the link to the poll, so I can provide a link to the poll proving you are wrong because the poll with the most voters is not in favor of full loot or FFA.

There is actually many polls on this and all show a vast majority for the ones that favor full loot.

Here you have one where almost 75% of the voters wanted full loot -

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/poll-pvp-or-pve-which-are-you-unofficial.4120/page-14#post-138131

Another one - 

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/full-loot.4313/#post-84286

[mod edit]

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/17/14 9:54:12 PM#60

Where are your poll that prove i was wrong and you were right?

SotA developers dont listen to the majority of the PvP players, they listen selectively to a few very vocal PvE players over at SotA forums, players that have no or little interest in the future SotA PvP. Carebears with a agenda of ruining it for the hardcore PvP players which used to be the majority. Today i guess most of them left the game in disapointment when the truth is out.

These carebears derail all PvP suggestions coming from the PvP majority that seek a way more hardcore PvP system.  

And this is what happens to threads that try to discuss this problem, it get closed down by the SotA moderators -

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pve-arguments-about-pvp-is-a-problem.10634/

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search