Trending Games | Villagers and Heroes | World of Warcraft | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,130 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,821
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » Say Something Nice about SotA

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
45 posts found
  Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

There... are... four... lights!

11/06/13 8:49:09 AM#21
Originally posted by Bilgato

I think the age grouping is something that will make a huge difference.

How many games do you find that you might like but the average age of the players is 12 to 16 or 16 to 21?

We have the same age, but you may be surprised to learn that the average age of the MMO player is over 30.

It's another occurence of the "loud vocal minority", aka a few bad apples can ruin the whole basket.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Bilgato

Novice Member

I do all my own artwork with MS Paint.
No, fer reals...why would I lie about something like that?

11/06/13 12:33:59 PM#22
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

How many games do you find that you might like but the average age of the players is 12 to 16 or 16 to 21?

We have the same age, but you may be surprised to learn that the average age of the MMO player is over 30.

It's another occurence of the "loud vocal minority", aka a few bad apples can ruin the whole basket.

I've heard that (30+), and I do agree with the vocal minority issue.lol

Sometimes I like the simpler, less complex games (most of the time actually), and I believe the adults there have to keep an extremely low profile in order to not be mistaken as pedophiles.

My wife and I played a game called Luna Online for quite a while, 'til it closed down. You could play from a top-down view like Diablo and UO or 3rd person and the class system was pretty in depth. But the animation style was so cutsie/chibi it attracted a lot of loud and obnoxious kids (was F2P too).

SoTA might eliminate a lot of that .

Solar_Prophet

Hard Core Member

WAAAGH!

11/13/13 7:15:39 PM#23

I think it's nice of Dick to let his customers know up front that, if you aren't willing and able to spend hundreds of $$ on the digital snake oil he's selling, he's more than willing to lock you out of key features & treat you as a second class citizen, even after obtaining what little was given under false pretenses.

Note: I'm not begrudging people the use or attainment of their money; I know that contrary to what politicians want people to think these days that most of those well off financially work very hard for it. I'm merely pointing out Dick's apathetic & outright exclusionary treatment of those who can't / won't spend large amounts of $$.

Example of a common core math problem: If you have four pencils and seven apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple. Because aliens don't wear hats.

Braindome

Hard Core Member

11/17/13 11:45:13 AM#24

Sorry, but alot of you that think this game might detour the younger players couldn't be more wrong. The thing that attracts younger players is  F2P with a cash shop and when the kiddies get allowance from mom and dad they hit it up, it is a great formula cause it works and this game is set to attract that kind of gamer.

It's good for making money and though there is nothing wrong with making money...lol, alot of times integrity is compromised and especially since kids in general don't understand the value of their money.

I think this game has some really good ideas and hopefully Garriott is keeping the old school core gamer at heart, but if you think it will be youngster proof then you are wrong.

Like x 56

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

11/17/13 11:49:16 AM#25
Originally posted by Braindome

Sorry, but alot of you that think this game might detour the younger players couldn't be more wrong. The thing that attracts younger players is  F2P with a cash shop and when the kiddies get allowance from mom and dad they hit it up, it is a great formula cause it works and this game is set to attract that kind of gamer.

It's good for making money and though there is nothing wrong with making money...lol, alot of times integrity is compromised and especially since kids in general don't understand the value of their money.

I think this game has some really good ideas and hopefully Garriott is keeping the old school core gamer at heart, but if you think it will be youngster proof then you are wrong.

Really? How many parents are going to help their kid(s) spending $500 just to get a virtual home in a video game? I, for sure, would tell my own to go back to their duties and homework, and think about real future instead of virtual property.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

aspekx

Novice Member

11/17/13 11:55:15 AM#26
its nostalgic.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Bilgato

Novice Member

I do all my own artwork with MS Paint.
No, fer reals...why would I lie about something like that?

11/17/13 1:30:33 PM#27
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
Originally posted by Braindome

Really? How many parents are going to help their kid(s) spending $500 just to get a virtual home in a video game? I, for sure, would tell my own to go back to their duties and homework, and think about real future instead of virtual property.

The kids will be there but not buying houses or anything expensive, but they will be there. They will be into the "Lord of The Flies" PvP and RPing as far as they understand it (college RP, and "Family" RP  ie, playing big kids at the university and house). Now with the play-style slider thingie, you'll be able to tune most of them out mostly, but they'll still be there somewhere...

It might be interesting to adjust your slider to check on them occasionally just to see what's going on...It's like the Uncanny Valley version of the "real" game.

*How do I know? I've played a lot of games...lol

RebelScum99

Apprentice Member

11/17/13 1:35:04 PM#28

Say something nice?  

Hopefully it will make enough money to launch Richard Garriott back into space.  

That's all I got.

marcuslm

Hard Core Member

11/17/13 1:52:12 PM#29

It's realistic. Meaning that the people willing to lay down real cash will own all of the property.

It's also chock full of delicious nostalgia. MMMmmmm. Just taste that clunky inventory with the tangy kick of dated graphics.

dorugu

Advanced Member

11/17/13 2:02:06 PM#30
all i say is wait and see its not out yet to my knowledge it could b good it culd b baad :)
  DMKano

Elite Member

11/17/13 2:03:19 PM#31
The name has a nice ring to it.
  Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

11/17/13 3:07:13 PM#32
Originally posted by DMKano
The name has a nice ring to it.

Going to agree with Kano, I like the name.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Margulis

Advanced Member

12/13/13 6:20:07 AM#33
NPC conversation interaction and the weather system looks awesome.
  apocoluster

Novice Member

\m/,

12/13/13 9:08:09 AM#34
The red metal of the logo dudes scale mail contrasts nicely with his green cloak

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

mindw0rk

Novice Member

12/13/13 11:25:15 PM#35

I hope this game dies quickly, without much pain. Thats about as nice as I can grant it.

After watching this video I couldnt help but feel bad for all who pledged

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

12/14/13 5:02:23 AM#36
Originally posted by mindw0rk

I hope this game dies quickly, without much pain. Thats about as nice as I can grant it.

After watching this video I couldnt help but feel bad for all who pledged

I play it, and it actually looks quite good for a pre-alpha release. The conversation system is awesome too, as well as the house decoration system.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

12/14/13 5:11:06 AM#37
Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

We should say something nice about Shroud of the Avatar. Let us prove to the rest of the online community that MMORPG are not just a group of haters and find something nice to say for once.

Today, I shall compliment the combat system concept. At first, I thought this would be terrible, but slowly over time as I get more information it becomes much more interesting to me. Even the fact that I am an evil foaming at the mouth PK, this system still does have its appeal, and I can't wait to test it out in Alpha.

I'm sure there are folks looking for a return to core principles that made old school games tedious and boring.

I am not one of them.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Xthos

Advanced Member

12/14/13 5:20:27 AM#38
Originally posted by azzamasin

We should say something nice about Shroud of the Avatar. Let us prove to the rest of the online community that MMORPG are not just a group of haters and find something nice to say for once.

Today, I shall compliment the combat system concept. At first, I thought this would be terrible, but slowly over time as I get more information it becomes much more interesting to me. Even the fact that I am an evil foaming at the mouth PK, this system still does have its appeal, and I can't wait to test it out in Alpha.

I'm sure there are folks looking for a return to core principles that made old school games tedious and boring.

I am not one of them.

I am looking for something that makes new school not tedious and boring.

goboygo

Advanced Member

12/14/13 10:09:57 AM#39

I will say something nice about SotA when they give me a good enough reason to say something nice about SotA.  Until then I will at least not say anything else negative.  I've already expressed my opinion on how these guys are handling their Kickstarter with regards to key game play elements.

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

OP  1/06/14 2:53:13 AM#40

I'm 45, I have nothing against younger players but also have nothing in common with them either, and I'm sure most of them don't have much in common with a guy their dad's age. There are a lot of decent younger players but in general I get on better with the "over 30" crowd.

Yes, if they can match make me with people who are my age and even deeper with different things here and there that would be great. I've been looking forward to testing out their Magic Match Maker(tm)!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search