Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Wasteland 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,141 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,265
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » Worried about direction of SotA

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  golden.radish

Apprentice Member

12/05/13 9:31:22 AM#41

So, a little more to be concerned about, from yesterday. Here's the official thread, which seems to be trying to offer some kind of clarification regarding when Kickstarter Backers will get a chance to select their reward in game.

A quick review of the thread shows those that backed the game prior to April 7th are not getting what was promised in April, specifically, from this post.

The upshot appears to be, Portalarium promised something in the past, when they had no money, and now that they have the money, they're giving the big middle finger to all those that helped them out.

So, with respect to the OP, yeah, I'm a little worried about the direction of SotA.  This is just dirty pool.  You don't slap your early backers in the face.

Oh, and on top of that?  The community chat was shut down because people were talking about this decision.  So yeah, more badness. :(

Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

12/06/13 6:49:35 PM#42
There's enough other MMOs out there. This one looks to be different. It is a brilliant tactic on their part though as I only got the $140 explorer level pledge which doesn't come with housing :(. Makes me considering upping.

Bilgato

Novice Member

I do all my own artwork with MS Paint.
No, fer reals...why would I lie about something like that?

12/08/13 10:04:01 PM#43
Originally posted by Fendel84M
There's enough other MMOs out there. This one looks to be different. It is a brilliant tactic on their part though as I only got the $140 explorer level pledge which doesn't come with housing :(. Makes me considering upping.

And they have you exactly where they want you...in front of the cash-register with your wallet in your hand. ; )

joe2721

Apprentice Member

12/08/13 10:10:35 PM#44

I am not spending that kind of money  to own a house. However it makes sense that housing is  a big deal. In Ultima Online housing was huge. Infact during its prime on the the larger shards housing was limited, I sold a gm tamer with a castle for $650.00. So it does make sense that this game would try to recapture some of that.

Margulis

Advanced Member

12/13/13 5:18:50 AM#45
Seems to me they are focusing on it a lot because it's what they consider one of their current strengths and not something you see every day in mmo's - quality open world non instanced housing.  It's what tons of people have been asking for in the genre so of course they are going to flaunt it.  They were already showing off a lot of combat in the 6 month video so what are you freaking out about?  Sounds more like you just don't like housing so making a huge stink that they are putting a lot into it.
  CasaFranky

Apprentice Member

3/22/14 5:50:59 AM#46

i get the sota newsletter.

and every time ive read it its only about buying some overpriced ingame items.
no progress no patchnotes no gameplay.

i feel pitty for all the people buying that stuff and financing a bad game that maybe never will hit final status.

Astrobia

Novice Member

3/22/14 6:48:18 AM#47

A couple of things... I think you'll find with the exception of a few obvious trolls you'll find most people are happy with the plans for lot selection priority. The compromise they have come up with does keep true to the wording of their original promises without giving the middle finger to new or high pledging backers.

The game is not entirely about housing. It's just a very easy feature for them to set up and show off early. The game is a full 40+ hour single player story in the ilk of the classic ultimas with ultima 7 been the benchmark they are aiming for as well as a huge interactive online sandbox with a dynamic map and living breathing world. With NPC's running around on schedules, events triggering autonomously without dev input in response to seasonal triggers, astronomical triggers (moon phases), NPC faction dominance and player actions. None of that needs a house to take part in or enjoy.

The SotA chat was not shut down for discussing that issue, in fact the issue was heavily discussed on the forums in the absence of the chat and on the chat again as soon as it came back up. The chat was shut down because certain members were using it to make ad hominem attacks against the devs direct to their face.

That said shutting down the chat was the wrong reaction and I believe the devs realised that as they opened it up again earlier than announced. The extremes of their responses are interesting. They shut the chat down as a kneejerk reaction but have yet to issue a permanent ban to anyone... Normally their publisher handled all this community management stuff for them so they seem to be struggling with it like a fish out of water. They are learning though.

As for the last comment about the game never been delivered and their being no development... You couldn't be more wrong. If you actually pledges and were participating in the monthly prealpha test builds you'd see they are making rapid progress. Most members of the community are utterly shocked with how fast the new content and systems are coming online. Each build so far has pretty much been twice as large as the last one in terms of content AND features... The rate seems to be picking up to boot. You only see new announcements in the weekly updates which yeah, doesn't include the build progress as thats not news, since they outlined their milestones for the gameplay development process months ago. http://ow.ly/u4JAJ To date they've only had one slip in meeting their projected timeline and that was by one week and only because they added in jumping and swimming due to community feedback.

Deerhunter71

Hard Core Member

3/22/14 7:04:35 AM#48
I became worried about this game once I heard their awful idea of combat being a card game.  Sorry but HUGE turn off and I think is just horrible.  I want my skill to matter not luck based on some cards...
  Astrobia

Novice Member

3/22/14 7:39:10 AM#49
Originally posted by Deerhunter71
I became worried about this game once I heard their awful idea of combat being a card game.  Sorry but HUGE turn off and I think is just horrible.  I want my skill to matter not luck based on some cards...

Now that's a criticism I can agree with. The combat system is currently my biggest concern with the game... They system they've proposed I think can actually work, but not as they've currently outlined it... There response is to wait and at least try it before dismissing it as they think they have ideas about how to make it work, but it doesn't on paper. That said they have promised they'll listen to the feedback and if too many people declare it simply is not fun after they have tried they are willing to completely scrap it and start over on combat.

Still it might not come to that. The system does have potential if they do it right... Which means letting your skill be a factor and not strictly locking you into luck of the draw. Because I agree that would be terrible. There's a large group up us just waiting for release 5 to roll around so we can bombard them with feedback on that issue. But yeah if combat is your primary concern I definitely agree it's worth taking a wait an see before committing approach. I love this team but lets face it, they aren't known for their combat systems. Hopefully the community can steer them in the right direction.

Aragon100

Elite Member

3/22/14 12:09:21 PM#50
Originally posted by Deerhunter71

Agree.

Making player skills matter will give the casual player hard times and that is something developers of SotA do their best to avoid.

This is a carebear game so of course they create a carebear PvP system. 

Just cause it is the creator of UO wont make the game old UO. 

Aragon100

Elite Member

3/22/14 1:00:31 PM#51
Originally posted by Astrobia

A couple of things... I think you'll find with the exception of a few obvious trolls you'll find most people are happy with the plans for lot selection priority. 

Havent seen any trolls here and i suggest you report them you find to be trolls cause trolling isnt allowed over here you know.

And your wrong, most isn't happy.

Astrobia

Novice Member

3/22/14 1:11:16 PM#52
Not here. In the SotA Dev+ forums where the topic is currently being discussed with the SotA devs. As all house owners are at the Dev+ or higher level. After they are done hashing it out with the part of the community it actually applies to so far they will make a public announcement outlining the lot selection priority process. It's currently looking very reasonable.
  Acrylic_300

Novice Member

3/22/14 1:29:56 PM#53
There is plenty to be concerned about. Hopefully the next couple weeks will clear up some questions about PvP, instancing, looting, combat and the like. Approaching the 1 year marker next week will hopefully bring out some solid information minus the fluff.
  golden.radish

Apprentice Member

3/31/14 10:36:27 AM#54
Originally posted by Astrobia

The SotA chat was not shut down for discussing that issue, in fact the issue was heavily discussed on the forums in the absence of the chat and on the chat again as soon as it came back up. The chat was shut down because certain members were using it to make ad hominem attacks against the devs direct to their face.

Here's the chat log from the day in question.

The portalarium employee allegedly being subjected to "ad hominem attacks" is FireLotus.

Feel free to point out the part of the chat where the "attacks" occurred.

Tbau

Apprentice Member

3/31/14 11:05:06 AM#55

Clearly there are a lot of people here voicing their opinion about a game they are not really following at all.

The game is not about housing, they have a lot of it on their website to give more things for people to help crowdsource the game with. instead of just offering a "backer" item, they are offering other ways you can help invest in the game with while receiving something for your investment.

And where is anyone getting this idea that if you don't buy a house in this way that you wont be able to get one until the second act is released?!?

Pure nonsense.

Aragon100

Elite Member

3/31/14 11:10:16 AM#56
Originally posted by Tbau

And where is anyone getting this idea that if you don't buy a house in this way that you wont be able to get one until the second act is released?!?

Pure nonsense.

So every one that want a house could get one ingame?

Didn't think so. Most that want to get a house ingame during act 1 wont get a house.

Tbau

Apprentice Member

3/31/14 12:04:08 PM#57
Originally posted by Aragon100

Pure nonsense.

Didn't think so. Most that want to get a house ingame during act 1 wont get a house.

Everyone not getting one does not = you must buy a house now.

As I said, pure nonsense.

Aragon100

Elite Member

3/31/14 2:44:32 PM#58

Pure nonsense.

Seems very few want to pay 550$ for a house.

And ingame loads of players that want a house wont get one cause there just isnt enough spots to place them on.

So the problem is houses are too expensive and there are so few spots to place them on.

Many will have to play the game without a house even though they want one and that is not nonsense, it is sad. The feature that developers have put most effort on will only be available to a few real life rich that can afford the insane sum of 550$.

Astrobia

Novice Member

4/08/14 8:50:42 PM#59

Pure nonsense.

Seems very few want to pay 550$ for a house.

And ingame loads of players that want a house wont get one cause there just isnt enough spots to place them on.

So the problem is houses are too expensive and there are so few spots to place them on.

Many will have to play the game without a house even though they want one and that is not nonsense, it is sad. The feature that developers have put most effort on will only be available to a few real life rich that can afford the insane sum of 550$.

This is as opposed to the ultimate end game artefact weapons of killing everything with ease everyone wants but has a drop rate so rare hardly anyone will ever get it unless they spend $500 on ebay in oh... Every MMO ever? Of course the main difference is houses wont actually make your character more powerful and they will be constantly adding new lots for people to acquire with in game gold rather then having to really on resellers.

Also should clarify the minimum purchase price for a SotA house at the moment is $165, not $550.

Sephros

Apprentice Member

4/08/14 11:39:54 PM#60
I grew up with Ultima. Back in the 80's playing Garriots games were so intoxicating. Back before it was about the money and all about telling a story. I funded this game with a 25$ backing cause I knew and grew up with the dreams and games he made. Now having been in the alphas and seeing the way he is taking his company and vision for this game, ... its almost like seeing your boyhood hero die. ....

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
Press F1 to continue......

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search