Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,786,879 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,266
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » SotA moderators allow this but not the word carebear

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
50 posts found
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 1:21:10 PM#1

One word that isnt allowed over at SotA website is the word carebear. That is a forbidden word to use when describing the PvE players. Ridicolous to say the least.

And here is a good example of what moderators at SotA allow when it comes to carebears describing the PvP players that enjoy non-consensual PvP and i quote -

" I know of (that is of, not personally) MILLIONS who have managed to RP without any form of PvP They came from before a time of Computer RPG's and they existed for a couple of decades AFTER CRPGs were invented....and they still exist today. I will allow that people who wish consensual PvP have a legitimate right to that style, however I will maintain and studies have been done to indicate that those who prefer non consensual PvP are frequently exhibiting sociopathic tendencies....and may in fact need help. Also Anger Management classes may be of use to some of those individuals. " end qoute.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-8#post-59484

This character named magiK on the SotA forums is allowed to put all these players together and call them sick people. Players that indeed enjoy a risk vs reward game with consequences should seek help cause they just are'nt not well. 

syriinx

Advanced Member

10/12/13 1:23:10 PM#2
I like the use of the word carebear.  Because once i see it I know that the post is worthless and to not even bother reading it anymore.
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 1:30:17 PM#3
Originally posted by syriinx
I like the use of the word carebear.  Because once i see it I know that the post is worthless and to not even bother reading it anymore.

So why did you read this then?

Do you also like it when players that enjoy non-consensual PvP are described as sociopaths that need medical help?

RebelScum99

Apprentice Member

10/12/13 1:31:26 PM#4
Are you saying a carebear hurt your feelings?  
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 1:36:09 PM#5
Originally posted by RebelScum99
Are you saying a carebear hurt your feelings?  

Nah i dont take it personal but i'm surpriced that the moderators over at SotA allow a carebear to call others mentally sick cause they enjoy a different playstyle.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

10/12/13 1:42:12 PM#6
its their forums so they have their rules. If they want to prohibit the word carebear and completely ignore comments like the quote from that player its their own problem. At least you should be able to notice that  the guy you are quoting is just trying to feel good with himself by saying such absurd things. Society wants people to believe that if you act in a certain way you may need professional help and people believe that crap.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

Rorhc

Hard Core Member

10/12/13 1:49:23 PM#7
Originally posted by rojo6934
its their forums so they have their rules. If they want to prohibit the word carebear and completely ignore comments like the quote from that player its their own problem. At least you should be able to notice that  the guy you are quoting is just trying to feel good with himself by saying such absurd things. Society wants people to believe that if you act in a certain way you may need professional help and people believe that crap.

Yep, aint nothing wrong with being a murderer, pedophile , mugger , cannibal  etc. Nope, those people don't need help at all.

Derp.

This could end up being very interesting.

Nevulus

Apprentice Member

10/12/13 1:55:45 PM#8

Good for them, maybe I should take a closer look at this game, perhaps it will have the right kind of moderators to keep the problematic players in check.

Thanks OP, new game to add to my radar.

Expl0rer

Novice Member

10/12/13 1:55:57 PM#9
"Carebear" has the quality of trademark and copyright, so Shroud of the Avatar naturally needs to be cautious about letting people use it.  Once I used the word "twink" in an innocent US government email message, as the technical term for a low-level character on which resources are lavished, and the entire message was blocked because the word was on an obscene word prohibition list.  Such is business in the modern world!
  flizzer

Hard Core Member

10/12/13 2:05:11 PM#10
Obviously they prefer a civil discussion of gameplay ideas so not allowing it makes sense. People who love to pepper their posts with "carebear"  simply are trying to stir trouble and ignite a fight.  You love PvP, fine!  Understand there are many who don't and wish only to PvE.   Name calling is not going to change any of that. 
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 2:20:45 PM#11
Originally posted by Nevulus

Good for them, maybe I should take a closer look at this game, perhaps it will have the right kind of moderators to keep the problematic players in check.

Thanks OP, new game to add to my radar.

So you like it when players with a different playstyle are called mentally sick? 

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 2:22:40 PM#12
Originally posted by flizzer
Obviously they prefer a civil discussion of gameplay ideas so not allowing it makes sense. People who love to pepper their posts with "carebear"  simply are trying to stir trouble and ignite a fight.  You love PvP, fine!  Understand there are many who don't and wish only to PvE.   Name calling is not going to change any of that. 

But calling players that enjoy a different playstyle mentally sick is ok?

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/12/13 2:23:12 PM#13
Are you concerned it might be an accurate assertion?

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 2:23:45 PM#14
Originally posted by Expl0rer
"Carebear" has the quality of trademark and copyright, so Shroud of the Avatar naturally needs to be cautious about letting people use it.  Once I used the word "twink" in an innocent US government email message, as the technical term for a low-level character on which resources are lavished, and the entire message was blocked because the word was on an obscene word prohibition list.  Such is business in the modern world!

So why am i allowed to use it over here then?

You're funny.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 2:30:11 PM#15
Originally posted by Kyleran
Are you concerned it might be an accurate assertion?

Point with the thread is that moderators over at SotA are biased. They have different rulesets when they handle PvE or PvP players. Corrupt might be a good word for it. They allow PvE players calling players that are in favor of non-consensual PvP for mentally sick but disallow a common word as carebear.

syriinx

Advanced Member

10/12/13 2:34:08 PM#16
maybe I should read threads with 'carebear' in them more often, this thread is pretty hilarious.
  Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  10/12/13 3:19:02 PM#17
maybe I should read threads with 'carebear' in them more often, this thread is pretty hilarious.

Yeah calling players with a different playstyle mentally insane isnt something moderators should care about. 

It is interesting to see how the carebears defend a character like this MagiK as long as he is on the carebear side, hypocrits.

AwDiddums

Advanced Member

10/12/13 3:33:53 PM#18
Originally posted by Aragon100

Yeah calling players with a different playstyle mentally insane isnt something moderators should care about. 

It is interesting to see how the carebears defend a character like this MagiK as long as he is on the carebear side, hypocrits.

You have given no reason for posters to come to the defence of your thread.

You lambast the moderators for allowing "Sociapathic Tendencies" to be used yet the word "Carebear" is far more recognisable to posters as a demeaning label.

Each of your responses has then taken the offending quote and demonised it even further, you have changed "Sociapathic Tendencies" to "Mentally Insane" aswell as other incorrect meanings for "Sociapaths".

Perhaps you would be better off airing your grievances with the moderators on that forum and explain that you feel labelled as an inferior player, perhaps then they may take you seriously when they realise this has hurt your feelings.

GregorMcgregor

Apprentice Member

10/12/13 3:37:34 PM#19
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but a carebear just butthurt me? ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

10/12/13 4:04:40 PM#20

"Carebear" is used as an insult. There is no other use of the word.

The post quoted in the OP may or may not have information to backup what they are saying. However, whether they do or not, their post can be proven either factual or false.

The difference is that "carebear", as an insult can't be either true or false. The statement quoted in the OP can be proven either true or false, and therefor validated or invalidated.

Where is this post of which the OP speaks? It's not at the link they've posted.

There is something funny in this thread, and the hurt feelings of the pro-PvP people who post threads like this.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search