Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,783,379 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,312
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » SotA is just another carebear game

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
138 posts found
  lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

4/27/14 3:49:43 PM#121
Originally posted by Aragon100
Originally posted by lizardbones
Originally posted by erponxaos

People that funded this game and come from the UO era focused on Richard G. Ultima and UO history.

RG just cashed his name like a no-good fraud that he is.You cant blame anyone for not being smart cause they trusted a name that is connected with RPG and guarantees a certain level of quality(until now).You can blame them for that if they make the same mistake again.

This isnt a second UO or something like UO and beyond that.People that pledged and come from UO should better focus their energies on finding something more suitable and best case scenario,buy it with the money they will get when they sell their account in this atrocity of a game.

Its what i do after i said my opinions on the pvp topic of SoTA and verified that devs+RG dont listen to anyone except money.And thats why we are getting spammed with SoTA shop new upgrades (if they made the same upgrades to the game we would be talking for something better than UO tbh...)

Far away from this fraud guys.Leave mumbo jumbo lunatic RG to gather the money to go to space again on his own.

If you want PVE go WoW,if you want PvP check albion and life is feudal and if you want hack n slash and shiny items with lots of damage and effects go diablo 3 or torchlight 2.

Get Skyrim buy a house there and give RG the finger plain and simple(10.000 dollars for a castle????))

Amen

Richard and his crew said they would listen to their whole community but that was just lies. They listen to the PvE players, the carebears.

Of all suggestions the oldschool UO hardcore PvP players suggested nothing have entered the game we see today. It is a full blown carebear game.

And it is really upsetting that he tricked so many players that wanted that old UO feel to invest in a game that they would never play.

Except there's going to be PvP in the game.  The game's mechanics comprise a variety of features, all designed to work together.  You are making it sound like "listening to the whole community" means "doing what the PvP players want".

There wont be a PvP game for the old UO players that loved that type of PvP game. It will be a PvP game that suits the carebears. Developers decided to go all the way towards the carebears suggestions over at SotA forums and didnt listen at all to the old UO players. All there suggestions was in vain.

Of course not.  The old school PvE game doesn't exist either.  What exists is something that allows each different play style to co-exist within the same game.  Any player willing to unbend a little bit from their narrowly defined acceptable game play will find something to do in the game.  Players who desire cost v. consequences PvP will have the opportunity to engage in that type of PvP with other like minded players.  They may even have resources that cannot be obtained without taking the risk of engaging in that style of PvP.  Does it encompass the entire game?  No, but that was never the intention.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/03/14 8:39:37 PM#122

People that funded this game and come from the UO era focused on Richard G. Ultima and UO history.

RG just cashed his name like a no-good fraud that he is.You cant blame anyone for not being smart cause they trusted a name that is connected with RPG and guarantees a certain level of quality(until now).You can blame them for that if they make the same mistake again.

This isnt a second UO or something like UO and beyond that.People that pledged and come from UO should better focus their energies on finding something more suitable and best case scenario,buy it with the money they will get when they sell their account in this atrocity of a game.

Its what i do after i said my opinions on the pvp topic of SoTA and verified that devs+RG dont listen to anyone except money.And thats why we are getting spammed with SoTA shop new upgrades (if they made the same upgrades to the game we would be talking for something better than UO tbh...)

Far away from this fraud guys.Leave mumbo jumbo lunatic RG to gather the money to go to space again on his own.

If you want PVE go WoW,if you want PvP check albion and life is feudal and if you want hack n slash and shiny items with lots of damage and effects go diablo 3 or torchlight 2.

Get Skyrim buy a house there and give RG the finger plain and simple(10.000 dollars for a castle????))

Amen

Richard and his crew said they would listen to their whole community but that was just lies. They listen to the PvE players, the carebears.

Of all suggestions the oldschool UO hardcore PvP players suggested nothing have entered the game we see today. It is a full blown carebear game.

And it is really upsetting that he tricked so many players that wanted that old UO feel to invest in a game that they would never play.

Except there's going to be PvP in the game.  The game's mechanics comprise a variety of features, all designed to work together.  You are making it sound like "listening to the whole community" means "doing what the PvP players want".

There wont be a PvP game for the old UO players that loved that type of PvP game. It will be a PvP game that suits the carebears. Developers decided to go all the way towards the carebears suggestions over at SotA forums and didnt listen at all to the old UO players. All there suggestions was in vain.

Of course not.  The old school PvE game doesn't exist either.  What exists is something that allows each different play style to co-exist within the same game.  Any player willing to unbend a little bit from their narrowly defined acceptable game play will find something to do in the game.  Players who desire cost v. consequences PvP will have the opportunity to engage in that type of PvP with other like minded players.  They may even have resources that cannot be obtained without taking the risk of engaging in that style of PvP.  Does it encompass the entire game?  No, but that was never the intention.

How can it be narrow minded to dislike what the game finally turned out to be? Accepting playing a game you hate seems very long stretch and i have no clue how you can have this view? Do you play games that you had hopes for and it turned out to be the exact opposite of what you like?

I dont think so.

Old hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA. UO carebears will play it but dont expect to see any hardcore PvP players joining a carebear game like SotA. Even WoW is more hardcore when it comes to PvP. A cardgame as combat system, no loot (insurance) and no open PvP is not gonna draw and real PvP players to the game.

All resources will be availabe without taking any risk, you need to read up on the game.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

5/03/14 10:03:22 PM#123

Amen

How can it be narrow minded to dislike what the game finally turned out to be? Accepting playing a game you hate seems very long stretch and i have no clue how you can have this view? Do you play games that you had hopes for and it turned out to be the exact opposite of what you like?

I dont think so.

Old hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA. UO carebears will play it but dont expect to see any hardcore PvP players joining a carebear game like SotA. Even WoW is more hardcore when it comes to PvP. A cardgame as combat system, no loot (insurance) and no open PvP is not gonna draw and real PvP players to the game.

All resources will be availabe without taking any risk, you need to read up on the game.

It's not narrow minded to not like something.  That's not what you're doing here. 

What you're doing is saying that Richard Garriott promised you UO's old style hard core PvP, but isn't going to deliver on it.  You are also saying that you speak for the entire community.  That is narrow minded.

How is it narrow minded?  For you, there was only one acceptable answer to how the game should have been setup.  Not allowing for alternatives or concessions to other players is narrow minded.  You are also saying that you speak for every "old hardcore UO PvP player...".  This can't be true.  You haven't even met all of those players.  Assuming concesus among a group of people that you don't even know is narrow minded.  You aren't allowing for variations in opinion among the people in that group.

Also, if the latest article on the game is to be believed, SotA is coming along just fine.  If all the old hardcore UO PvP players have left, then it doesn't seem to matter.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/03/14 10:44:25 PM#124

Amen

I dont think so.

It's not narrow minded to not like something.  That's not what you're doing here. 

What you're doing is saying that Richard Garriott promised you UO's old style hard core PvP, but isn't going to deliver on it.  You are also saying that you speak for the entire community.  That is narrow minded.

How is it narrow minded?  For you, there was only one acceptable answer to how the game should have been setup.  Not allowing for alternatives or concessions to other players is narrow minded.  You are also saying that you speak for every "old hardcore UO PvP player...".  This can't be true.  You haven't even met all of those players.  Assuming concesus among a group of people that you don't even know is narrow minded.  You aren't allowing for variations in opinion among the people in that group.

Also, if the latest article on the game is to be believed, SotA is coming along just fine.  If all the old hardcore UO PvP players have left, then it doesn't seem to matter.

Let me refrase it, old UO PvP players that seek that old PvP game wont be playing SotA since it is a carebear game. Hardcore PvP players that seek hardcore PvP and dont find it wont appear. Richard Garriott have said that this SotA game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima games and UO. It is not a spiritual successor of UO, far from. He even visited one of the bigger UO freeshards and claimed it was. Some of the freeshard hardcore PvP players visited SotA forums and got more or less shocked when they understood how carebear the game actually was.

Hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA no matter how hard Richard Garriott tries to sell it to them. If the game lack just about all that can raise a interest to a UO hardcore PvP player then even you have to understand that SotA will be a game without them. 

SotA had many players but how many will be active on release? I am not the only one that bought the game and wont appear on releaseday. Garriott fooled alot of us to invest in a game that was gonna be the spiritual successor of UO and i can assure you it wont be forgotten any time soon. 

cheyane

Advanced Member

5/03/14 10:58:32 PM#125
May be he meant Trammel era UO.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/04/14 2:38:44 PM#126
Originally posted by cheyane
May be he meant Trammel era UO.

Many thought he ment oldschool felucca UO. Especially since the game would have a slider that allowed all gamestyles which didnt happen. 

Smart of him though to just say spiritual successor of UO since there are many versions of UO. He managed to trick many to invest on those empty words.

Boneserino

Hard Core Member

5/04/14 3:11:36 PM#127

Amen

I dont think so.

Let me refrase it, old UO PvP players that seek that old PvP game wont be playing SotA since it is a carebear game. Hardcore PvP players that seek hardcore PvP and dont find it wont appear. Richard Garriott have said that this SotA game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima games and UO. It is not a spiritual successor of UO, far from. He even visited one of the bigger UO freeshards and claimed it was. Some of the freeshard hardcore PvP players visited SotA forums and got more or less shocked when they understood how carebear the game actually was.

Hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA no matter how hard Richard Garriott tries to sell it to them. If the game lack just about all that can raise a interest to a UO hardcore PvP player then even you have to understand that SotA will be a game without them. 

SotA had many players but how many will be active on release? I am not the only one that bought the game and wont appear on releaseday. Garriott fooled alot of us to invest in a game that was gonna be the spiritual successor of UO and i can assure you it wont be forgotten any time soon. 

So you invested on the words "Spiritual successor" ?     You should have invested on the words " I am going to remake the original UO with up to date graphics"

That and spiritual successor have nothing in common so unfortunately, you are the one at fault here.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/04/14 3:21:16 PM#128
Originally posted by Boneserino

Amen

I dont think so.

So you invested on the words "Spiritual successor" ?     You should have invested on the words " I am going to remake the original UO with up to date graphics"

That and spiritual successor have nothing in common so unfortunately, you are the one at fault here.

Being vague is a smart way to trick players to invest.

The only one to blame here is Richard Garriott that claimed the game was gonna be a spiritual successor of UO which it isnt. Wonder how many old UO PvP players invested on those words and now feel it was just empty words.

Boneserino

Hard Core Member

5/04/14 4:06:27 PM#129

Sorry but this just smacks of the "Me" generation. 

You made a poor decision based on very little evidence and now you wish to blame someone else for your bad judgement.

Look at it this way, you just learned a life lesson.   A small price to pay.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/04/14 5:35:02 PM#130

You made a poor decision based on very little evidence and now you wish to blame someone else for your bad judgement.

I dont care about the money.

I dislike dishonest developers and they need to get revealed so they cant trick others in the future.

erponxaos

Novice Member

5/04/14 7:20:08 PM#131

Watch the original KS video for SoTA.See how many times ultima franchise is mentioned,what RG says about pvp and a better experience that goes where UO went and beyond.

I believe that if that was an advertisment in USA,it would be sued for fraud based to what it says and what is delivered.

Plus RG did the same thing with Tabula Rasa.The guy is a scammer and old school gamers should be aware of that.We are to blame cause we gave him another chance.Aragorn has a valid point.So keep your valuable teachings for yourself young padawan.

Maribu

Apprentice Member

5/15/14 1:01:00 PM#132

Now it is officially confirmed  -

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

I thought more of Richard Garriott then creating this kind of lame PvP system. Insurance? Random card combat? 

Thank you for posting this.  The linked post has helped me finally make up my mind to pledge at the Citizen level.   I highly recommend anyone considering this game to do their own homework on it rather than accept anything posted here as an opinion because....well....you know what they say about opinions.  Everybody has one.

Maribu

Apprentice Member

5/15/14 1:09:35 PM#133

Watch the original KS video for SoTA.See how many times ultima franchise is mentioned,what RG says about pvp and a better experience that goes where UO went and beyond.

I believe that if that was an advertisment in USA,it would be sued for fraud based to what it says and what is delivered.

Plus RG did the same thing with Tabula Rasa.The guy is a scammer and old school gamers should be aware of that.We are to blame cause we gave him another chance.Aragorn has a valid point.So keep your valuable teachings for yourself young padawan.

I believe you're under a misconception about the Ultima franchise.  He speaks at great length about the series of Ultima games, which were single player, roleplaying games.  UO was to be the spiritual successor of the Ultima franchise, but RG himself admits, if you listen to ALL his videos, that he and his team were quite taken aback when they saw how the freedom of UO was being used. 

Also, in anything he has said about SotA with respect to UO, I defy anyone to point out anywhere that he has said he's referring specifically to the first 2 years before Trammel.   Trammel was created for a reason.  In the 17 years of UO's existence, only the first 2 were the free for all gank fest that some seem to remember so fondly.  So when RG refers to UO, why is it that so many assume he means the fraction of time before Trammel, and ignore the 15 years that followed and that are still running now?

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/15/14 8:26:52 PM#134
Originally posted by Maribu

I believe you're under a misconception about the Ultima franchise.  He speaks at great length about the series of Ultima games, which were single player, roleplaying games.  UO was to be the spiritual successor of the Ultima franchise, but RG himself admits, if you listen to ALL his videos, that he and his team were quite taken aback when they saw how the freedom of UO was being used. 

Also, in anything he has said about SotA with respect to UO, I defy anyone to point out anywhere that he has said he's referring specifically to the first 2 years before Trammel.   Trammel was created for a reason.  In the 17 years of UO's existence, only the first 2 were the free for all gank fest that some seem to remember so fondly.  So when RG refers to UO, why is it that so many assume he means the fraction of time before Trammel, and ignore the 15 years that followed and that are still running now?

Richard Garriott have said this SotA game will be a spiritual successor of UO, and it is of course the old game when he was involved in it. The newer UO have nothing with Richard Garriott to do.

UO after trammel was hardcore in felucca but with a alignment system and was very far from a gank feast. A red player that died with many murdercounts had weeks if not months of retraining so nefore and after trammel is both hardcoe PvP but i prefer the game i played after trammel.

What killed felucca UO was Age of Shadows february 2003 and turned UO into a WoW game. But that game had nothing to do with Richard Garriott.

lizardbones

Elite Member

5/15/14 8:57:22 PM#135
Originally posted by Maribu

Richard Garriott have said this SotA game will be a spiritual successor of UO, and it is of course the old game when he was involved in it. The newer UO have nothing with Richard Garriott to do.

UO after trammel was hardcore in felucca but with a alignment system and was very far from a gank feast. A red player that died with many murdercounts had weeks if not months of retraining so nefore and after trammel is both hardcoe PvP but i prefer the game i played after trammel.

What killed felucca UO was Age of Shadows february 2003 and turned UO into a WoW game. But that game had nothing to do with Richard Garriott.

Immediately after Trammel was released, the complaints from the PvP "community" started.  It ruined PvP because the majority of the population moved to Trammel.  UO also added another 100k people after Trammel was released.  UO started the genre and UO had PvP, but it was not the most important aspect of the game, and it certainly wasn't the most popular.  If the PvP died, it was because there weren't enough people interested in it to continue using it.  Any changes made were done to try and entice the players over from Trammel.  Turns out they weren't interested at all.

The problem with the "hard core" PvP rule set is that it cannot co-exist with other styles of PvP or the absence of PvP.  Much like the players who take a hard line stance on PvP, it's out.

lizardbones

Elite Member

5/15/14 8:59:58 PM#136

So many people disliked the PvP in UO that Richard Garriott made up a whole new system and a whole new continent for people to play on, and increased the population of the game by 100k players in doing so.  It seems odd that people would assume he was talking about the system he replaced rather than the system he created to replace the busted system he started with.

Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

5/15/14 9:05:50 PM#137
what is carebear?(I know what is mean in Eve but I can't find any conection with SotA!)

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

OP  5/16/14 5:16:12 AM#138

So many people disliked the PvP in UO that Richard Garriott made up a whole new system and a whole new continent for people to play on, and increased the population of the game by 100k players in doing so.  It seems odd that people would assume he was talking about the system he replaced rather than the system he created to replace the busted system he started with.

Felucca had just about the same system as before trammel. That was the system RIchard was involved in. Everything that happend after he sold the game is of course not what he was talking about when he claimed SotA to be a spiritual successor to UO. It was his UO he was talking about, nothing else..

He was not talking about the carebear version of UO we saw after Age of Shadows february 2003.

Why should he talk about a game he wasnt involved in?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search