Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,689 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,458
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » Seriously??? I was a devoted fan of all ultima until this...

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
160 posts found
  InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 9:13:47 AM#61
Originally posted by Neo_Viper
Originally posted by lizardbones

Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.

And if those who work hard to get a house (aka DESERVE it) can't get one because there's no more plots available, they will most certainly just quit the game.

Those saying housing is not a major part of the game make me laugh. Look the gameplay videos released so far... yeah, ALL are centered around the house.

Owning a house, even a small village one, gives major advantages to crafters. And that's not only house decoration crafters - also weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, etc...

Having your storage just beside your own forge is just a tremendous advantage... and having your own vendor too.

What is this magical "major advantages" you speak of? Omg the house has a crafting station which are public anyway?

As stated prior, having a carebear crafting station, scrooge mcduck's storage vault, and whatever else you may conjure up as a magical win button advantage it just isn't so. All of these things are provided via public anyway. 

Seriously, having a house in game is to show off one of two things. How big your wang is because you bought/earned one, or two how big your mom's wang is because you stole her wallet.

Lastly, you know this is the very first game of the series of five SotA games which are being released. There will be plenty of chances for a house if you really must put on a skirt and have a go at it.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

9/23/13 9:16:22 AM#62

Originally posted by lizardbones   Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.  
And if those who work hard to get a house (aka DESERVE it) can't get one because there's no more plots available, they will most certainly just quit the game.

Those saying housing is not a major part of the game make me laugh. Look the gameplay videos released so far... yeah, ALL are centered around the house.

Owning a house, even a small village one, gives major advantages to crafters. And that's not only house decoration crafters - also weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, etc...

Having your storage just beside your own forge is just a tremendous advantage... and having your own vendor too.

Housing may be a huge part of the game. That doesn't mean player's deserve housing. It doesn't matter how hard they work at playing the game or anything else. It only matters how the developer wants to distribute that resource.

Personally, I would not spend $750 on a castle in a virtual world. I'm not even sure I'd spend $10 on a plot of land in a virtual world. But if someone is willing to spend $750 on a castle, especially given the chance that the game may not even release, then that person deserves the castle in the game, and the people who didn't dump $750 into the game do not. *shrug*

Now, where it is an issue is player satisfaction. If players find that the method used to distribute that resource is not fun or they see it as not fair, then they can choose to not play the game. It just depends. If seeing people with castles really grinds players' gears, they may leave and the game may collapse. It's hard to say. We live in a world where people will pay $150K for a moon in a game that isn't really even that popular, so who knows. SotA could be minting virtual gold.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

dontadow

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 9:21:32 AM#63

Housing is a luxury. You are not entitled to every luxury.  People play extra for luxaries. Too many folk feel entitled to everything.  Everything feels like a big ole game of T-ball. "everyone's a winner yay!!!" 

The new age of gamer doesnt remember that housing isn't a new concept. Back in living Greyhawk (that's organized tabletop dungeons and dragons), people bought virtual houses and items for thousands of dollars.  I knew a guy who sold his plot of land near Waterkeep for 5k to someone else.  Houses, like in real life, are a limitted resource and unless I need a house to beat any part of the game, it really doesnt matter. 

GungaDin

Hard Core Member

9/23/13 9:24:48 AM#64
Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.

What is this magical "major advantages" you speak of? Omg the house has a crafting station which are public anyway?

As stated prior, having a carebear crafting station, scrooge mcduck's storage vault, and whatever else you may conjure up as a magical win button advantage it just isn't so. All of these things are provided via public anyway. 

Seriously, having a house in game is to show off one of two things. How big your wang is because you bought/earned one, or two how big your mom's wang is because you stole her wallet.

Lastly, you know this is the very first game of the series of five SotA games which are being released. There will be plenty of chances for a house if you really must put on a skirt and have a go at it.

This is true, i have a big wang....

Naral

Advanced Member

9/23/13 9:24:51 AM#65
Originally posted by dontadow
Housing is a luxury. You are not entitled to every luxury.  People play extra for luxaries. Too many folk feel entitled to everything.  Everything feels like a big ole game of T-ball. "everyone's a winner yay!!!" 

Except in all the games that offer it, included as a part of the basic price of the game. Then it is just a part of the game that everyone gets to have fun with.

So have limited lots, first come first serve. Charging a premium for sub components of a game is everything that is going wrong with this genre right now.

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 9:35:42 AM#66
Originally posted by GungaDin

Think FireLotus will unban me for defending her honor here? LAWL. What's a Paladin?

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 9:37:26 AM#67
Originally posted by Naral

Except in all the games that offer it, included as a part of the basic price of the game. Then it is just a part of the game that everyone gets to have fun with.

So have limited lots, first come first serve. Charging a premium for sub components of a game is everything that is going wrong with this genre right now.

First of five games bro. Plenty of housing to come. Those BS games also use instanced housing, it is horrible. You can proudly display your wanghouse in an actual city in the actual game for every single person to ever play it to see. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW BIG YOUR WANG IS IF YOU HAVE A HOUSE IN SOTA!!!

dontadow

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 9:38:45 AM#68
Originally posted by Naral

That is not True there are many games that have housing that you have to pay for extra, whether in game our out of game money, and many that have in game costs allow you to buy money with out of game funds. 

GungaDin

Hard Core Member

9/23/13 9:43:06 AM#69
Originally posted by GungaDin

Think FireLotus will unban me for defending her honor here? LAWL. What's a Paladin?

Keep kissing ass and I'll put a word in for you....but you have to behave yourself :)

Perhaps a community apology? lol , yea right !

Angzt

Novice Member

"Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional."(Bob Monkhouse)

9/23/13 9:44:22 AM#70

all i see is an old man trying to jump on the bandwagon.

"Uh? braben made 19 millions by kickstarer? gonna do!"

"uuuuh, i heard someone sold an isle for several million in  a game? let's do that too!"

obviously this game will be HEAVY cash shopped.. and atfer all it does not look that great, does it?

seriously, just watch aion running on an old farcry engine... and then watch shroud of the avatar.

sorry dude, but these ain't the 90's anymore. not interested in your game.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Raquis

Novice Member

9/23/13 9:44:53 AM#71

i bought all 5 games for 140$ and that is a bargain cause I can play for 5 years with no sub.fee.

its like playing elders scrolls online for just one year.

hope the game is going to be good,i am also interested in neos land but the sub.fee puts me off.

I cant believe that people said Richard garriot used money of a earlier game to fund his space trip

and screwed the players.

I haven't played any of his games but his credentials and the game idea looks good to me.

we as players will have to crowd fund if you want to get what you want and get away from the money hungry companies like

zenamax media.

thank goodness for everquest next that's not going to ask a sub.and they are the biggest mmo developers.

Betaguy

Elite Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

9/23/13 9:50:19 AM#72
Originally posted by Karble

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/13/4724762/lord-british-and-the-oklahoma-land-rush

this is the link the the article most recently from the creators of Shroud of the Avatar.

It is one thing to try and sway the avid fanbase of the various avatar games over the years into purchasing virtual (see pixy dust) space to place a house in a semi-protected area of an online community that has not happened yet. It's another to try and now tell new people that are interested that "hey....better pay now or you will not have a home since they are limited" which only adds to this pixy dust house of cards.

I am not saying that the game itself will be good or bad. Just that there are alot of people in real life spending LITERALLY THOUSANDS of DOLLARS to have a house (pixy dust) in a virtual world. 

Where has common sense gone? Seriously......ugh.  I am a fan of UO and played it for several years, but I will be the last to throw my hard earned money into developing any game unless they will be splitting the profit with me.

Oh they are not splitting the profit with people that have invested 3K into the game? hmm well at least you get a pixy dust house :P

Nothing wrong with that ^^^ seems legit to me and makes for more exciting times. It's okay if you don't have a home the game will still be fun. I could let you sleep on my haystack in the corner for a small fee of course.

Venger

Apprentice Member

Help Fight Global Warming
Shut Your Mouth :D

9/23/13 11:09:58 AM#73

Housing is not a necessity but if I can't eventually get one I don't see myself staying long or spending a dime on anything.  This was an issue UO had, shame they seam to be repeating the same mistake IMHO.  I don't want to be just handed a house but I'm not going to compete with the nut bags that take these GAMES way to serious.

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 10:22:25 PM#74
Originally posted by Venger

Housing is not a necessity but if I can't eventually get one I don't see myself staying long or spending a dime on anything.  This was an issue UO had, shame they seam to be repeating the same mistake IMHO.  I don't want to be just handed a house but I'm not going to compete with the nut bags that take these GAMES way to serious.

First game of the series of five games. You'll have your chance for a house. There are other types of housing being pushed quite hard from the community as well, something they have started calling "wilderness housing" and I believe you'll see it get into the game in one of the series' additional games. Maybe not first, but I can't see it not being added in one of the series expansions. It is too popular.

[mod edit]

Venger

Apprentice Member

Help Fight Global Warming
Shut Your Mouth :D

9/24/13 11:09:00 AM#75
Originally posted by Venger

First game of the series of five games. You'll have your chance for a house. There are other types of housing being pushed quite hard from the community as well, something they have started calling "wilderness housing" and I believe you'll see it get into the game in one of the series' additional games. Maybe not first, but I can't see it not being added in one of the series expansions. It is too popular.

[mod edit]

I hope they do learn from their past mistakes.

[mod edit]

nerovipus32

Novice Member

9/24/13 11:18:12 AM#76
I guess he wants to go on another trip into space. I wouldn't give richard garriott a cent of my money. The guy is a charlatan.
  InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/25/13 12:56:01 AM#77
Originally posted by nerovipus32
I guess he wants to go on another trip into space. I wouldn't give richard garriott a cent of my money. The guy is a charlatan.

Way to jump in and sound like a completely uninformed nub. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Next time try adding something to the discussion.

DeathmachinePT

Apprentice Member

9/25/13 9:16:48 AM#78

Building a present MMO with 2mil is impossible especially when accepting means having costs by delivering some physical goods to those pledgers.

Only Star Citizen has some minimal funding required to deliver the game they are pitching they probably would needed  around than 100mil to make it but with some good management they might get there.

I guess Shroud of the Avatar has Richard Garriot reputation on the line as a game designer if he can't deliver than he is not a real good developer.

Z77 ASROCK OC FORMULA
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz+H100i
EVGA 660 Super OC
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme Div 2 @2400mhz
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

9/25/13 9:34:52 AM#79
Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

Building a present MMO with 2mil is impossible especially when accepting means having costs by delivering some physical goods to those pledgers.

Only Star Citizen has some minimal funding required to deliver the game they are pitching they probably would needed  around than 100mil to make it but with some good management they might get there.

I guess Shroud of the Avatar has Richard Garriot reputation on the line as a game designer if he can't deliver than he is not a real good developer.

How many games have you produced, and what have their budget's been?

DeathmachinePT

Apprentice Member

9/26/13 8:34:15 AM#80
Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

How many games have you produced, and what have their budget's been?

Inform yourself about MMO budgets to understand what I'm talking about, hiring programmers and servers programmers are quite expensive this days and there is a lack of them if you make an engine yourself it will take months of development if you buy an engine you have to pay for it or license it then adjust it to your game which can also be time consuming. 

I have talked to some developers about the costs and they say the absolute minimum is 6mil depending on your ambition, game features and time of development. (not considering post game development, server maintenance, rents or marketing)

You can see that they chose to work with unity engine which is one of the cheapest and also the game will work in instances this are meant to reduce costs.

Z77 ASROCK OC FORMULA
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz+H100i
EVGA 660 Super OC
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme Div 2 @2400mhz
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search