Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,290 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,562
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » If it doesn't have player looting and stealing, the game will fail.

15 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
295 posts found
  olepi

Hard Core Member

6/06/13 3:02:41 PM#21

This is why I think a game should have both. Put some rare resources in a PvP zone, and make people expose themselves to PvP to get them. But also provide PvE areas too.

Like DAOC, where you could do either one when you wanted.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

General-Zod

Advanced Member

Kneel.

6/06/13 3:28:52 PM#22
Its been out for months... open beta = live.

aspekx

Advanced Member

6/06/13 3:38:04 PM#23
Originally posted by VikingGamer
UO as originally released proved exactly the opposite. Try again.

UO was an exception, it was the only damn option on the market for a while.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Baowoulf

Novice Member

6/07/13 1:38:17 AM#24
Originally posted by pmiles

I find it fascinating that people play MMORPGs but wish to play only against NPCs and not other players. You're supposed to be this big bad warrior fighting for your faction... only you restrict that to the pre-programmed scripted NPCs that you basically are assured success against.

They need to erase the concept of PVE and just create a world in which anyone can attack anyone... you know... like real life?

Why so much hate for PVE? I love PVE more than PVP.  I've never really got into PVP probably because when I started gaming on the computer as well some of the first games I ran into were EQ and Counterstrike. Well all the noob this and noob that talk on CS never interested me. I'm not a big trash talker it seems pointless to me.

Also I love the plot and background story EQ had so when I would be in groups and hang out with people after whatever I did during the day it never felt like a grid ever. EQ had a lot of backstory and the zones were fun to explore. But then again I love RPGS and such over fighting games and the like.

Not to mention I don't have a top of the line computer, but not a bad one either. But I'm not dissing PVP either maybe when I can build my own comp I'll give PVP another chance. I still wish I could have played Auto Assault and EVE Online back to back but AA got canned :(

korr

Advanced Member

TACO! TACO! TACO!

6/07/13 1:53:04 AM#25

UO worked because it was the only option.  The sheep and the wolf had to play in the same space.  Once the sheep could go be safe, the wolf crowd was stuck hunting itself.  That is why UO is a sad pile of waste compared to what it used to be.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

stvnkrs10

Apprentice Member

6/07/13 9:05:54 AM#26
You guys should really read up on the game before posting. It has been said many times there will be a pvp element for those that want it. the OPO option allows for those in to pvp to only see pvp players and pve players to only see pve players. That way both types get the experience they want in the same world. The way you play the game affects the people you see around you.
  hockeyplayr

Advanced Member

6/07/13 9:20:43 AM#27
Originally posted by Myrdynn
Originally posted by Komandor
Originally posted by Myrdynn

what I dont get is the fascination with full loot.  Why hasnt a game come up with a method of rewarding the killer greatly, while not punishing the dieing party so extreme.

why isnt there a game, where like for example (just rough numbers) the highest level mob drops 1000 gold (insert random currency or craft resource) but the player kills drop 10000 gold or some really useful crafting resource.  It would encourage pvp, and more those of  us (myself) more inclined to get involved.

The reason alot of us "carebears" hate full loot is cause a lot of times if you join a game late you are screwed, and there is such a stigma of corpse camping, that it just isnt worth the hassle

Because if you don't take stuff away from the losing player, then you are basically dublicating items.

what are you talking about?  Im not saying you get a copy of their gear.  What if they dropped a key to a lootable chest, some currency, or a crafting resource, nothing is duplicating

you then have people intentionally allowing themselves to be killed by friends just to attain these items.  Runescape did that when they took away full loot and rewarded you with a possible expensive random drop and that is exactly what happened.  We killed each other for possible drops and then switched

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

6/07/13 9:26:22 AM#28

The only thing that could really attract the hardcore crowd in this game is some good old, realistic PVP.

If they go the carebare way and limit player looting and stealing from other players, this game will flop.

They basically need to make a better Darkfall.

Is that what their goal is? Are they trying to attract a 'hardcore' crowd?

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

VassagoMael

Hard Core Member

6/07/13 9:26:56 AM#29
lol...

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

Aragon100

Elite Member

6/08/13 4:09:47 AM#30

The only thing that could really attract the hardcore crowd in this game is some good old, realistic PVP.

If they go the carebare way and limit player looting and stealing from other players, this game will flop.

Yes i totally agree except the part where you compare to Darkfall that to me is a boring game without any content.

Compare to a good game instead like old Ultima Online before Age of Shadows ruined the game february 2003.

Astraeis

Hard Core Member

6/17/13 3:32:07 PM#31

Does a game need hardcore players to succeed? I mean, is that the only way to succeed as a game, or do you mean it is the only way to succeed in attracting you?

It takes one to know one.

aesperus

Hard Core Member

6/17/13 3:36:02 PM#32

Right, because you're crowd has done such a fine job of ensuring the successes of..... what games exactly?

Every. single. last. game. that has been catered to you people has failed, and usually failed horribly. The way things are going DF:UW doesn't seem far behind either.

If you're going to try and keep playing that card, and least stick to your guns and actually support these games, instead of whining like children.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

6/17/13 3:36:25 PM#33

ugh... no.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Squeak69

Apprentice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

6/17/13 4:45:06 PM#34
I wonder if anyone has ever told the OP that the "carebears" outnumber the "hardcore" players, since most people in reality play game to have fun not swing their e-peen, the only reason it seems that "hardcore" players seem to be I larger numbers is cause they are to only ones whe are very vocal for the most part.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Shadowguy64

Novice Member

6/17/13 4:49:32 PM#35
Originally posted by aesperus

Right, because you're crowd has done such a fine job of ensuring the successes of..... what games exactly?

Every. single. last. game. that has been catered to you people has failed, and usually failed horribly. The way things are going DF:UW doesn't seem far behind either.

If you're going to try and keep playing that card, and least stick to your guns and actually support these games, instead of whining like children.

black777

Advanced Member

6/17/13 4:55:08 PM#36

100% Agreed.

Try again OP..

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

6/17/13 4:57:10 PM#37
Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I thought Mortal Online and Darkfall are great games in theory. The companies creating them just don't have the experience or know how to produce a good enough product yet.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

6/17/13 4:59:10 PM#38

It's rather humorous that he says things like Tram killed UO, yet he doesn't realize it was the players like himself who were destroying UO from the beginning, the so called hardcore drive off more players than most other factors outside of problematic programming. It's his ilk that have kept dev's away from creating meaningful player control over an environment.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

dontadow

Apprentice Member

6/17/13 5:12:21 PM#39
Originally posted by flizzer
You can have this as long as I get a completely PvE server.   If the only way I can experience this game is with the PvP gank crowd, then I would pass.  

I"m interested in a massive multiplayer online version of the game series Ultima. that seems to be the vision of the game. Don't reccall ever wanting to "gank" another party in an ultima game.  

dontadow

Apprentice Member

6/17/13 5:16:06 PM#40
Originally posted by Baowoulf
Originally posted by pmiles

I find it fascinating that people play MMORPGs but wish to play only against NPCs and not other players. You're supposed to be this big bad warrior fighting for your faction... only you restrict that to the pre-programmed scripted NPCs that you basically are assured success against.

They need to erase the concept of PVE and just create a world in which anyone can attack anyone... you know... like real life?

Why so much hate for PVE? I love PVE more than PVP.  I've never really got into PVP probably because when I started gaming on the computer as well some of the first games I ran into were EQ and Counterstrike. Well all the noob this and noob that talk on CS never interested me. I'm not a big trash talker it seems pointless to me.

Also I love the plot and background story EQ had so when I would be in groups and hang out with people after whatever I did during the day it never felt like a grid ever. EQ had a lot of backstory and the zones were fun to explore. But then again I love RPGS and such over fighting games and the like.

Not to mention I don't have a top of the line computer, but not a bad one either. But I'm not dissing PVP either maybe when I can build my own comp I'll give PVP another chance. I still wish I could have played Auto Assault and EVE Online back to back but AA got canned :(

Because the MMO crowd has attracted too many FPS folk who have no true concept of RPGs. Enjoy your genre, leave our genre alone. 

15 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search