Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,260 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,287
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » Seriously??? I was a devoted fan of all ultima until this...

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
160 posts found
  InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

2/17/14 8:14:41 PM#121
Originally posted by Ginaz
Hmm, I remember swg having open world housing that didn't cost people extra real money.  If a game that began its development almost  15 years ago can let players having housing like that, then why can't this one?

Who said they cant? The bottom line is that they are not going to. So you have to ask: Why?

Ginaz

Elite Member

2/17/14 8:16:01 PM#122
Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
Hmm, I remember swg having open world housing that didn't cost people extra real money.  If a game that began its development almost  15 years ago can let players having housing like that, then why can't this one?

Who said they cant? The bottom line is that they are not going to. So you have to ask: Why?

I think we both know the answer to that question.  Why are they charging extra for houses?  Because they can.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

2/17/14 8:16:35 PM#123
Originally posted by Braindome
Originally posted by Karble

alot of people in real life spending LITERALLY THOUSANDS of DOLLARS to have a house (pixy dust) in a virtual world. 

I will be searching these people out and offering them company and telling them how awesome of a person they are and how awesome the house they own is on a daily basis, all I ask in return is full access to all amenities and some of those free special harvest items and $19.99 a month.

I plan on making a killing.

From what I can see, all of those tools who own those houses this early on are going to be seeking you out to brag about it lol, you aint gonna have to go lookin'.

JJ82

Advanced Member

2/17/14 8:19:07 PM#124

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/13/4724762/lord-british-and-the-oklahoma-land-rush 

this is the link the the article most recently from the creators of Shroud of the Avatar.

It is one thing to try and sway the avid fanbase of the various avatar games over the years into purchasing virtual (see pixy dust) space to place a house in a semi-protected area of an online community that has not happened yet. It's another to try and now tell new people that are interested that "hey....better pay now or you will not have a home since they are limited" which only adds to this pixy dust house of cards.

Hate to burst your small bubble but if you "love" the Ultima games so much, why don't you chose to play this game as one?

Purchase the game, play it in offline single player mode.

Your problem is now solved, it will play just like the Ultima games, storyline, world and all.

The stuff you are posting about is for the online version, which will be B2P and a hybrid of MMORPG and, well I guess the Sims would be a good choice. A game filled with massive amounts of player/dev created content that will be sold via micro-transactions. And when I say Micro- I mean many of these things will be tiny amounts with the massive things like large homes costing more than mounts in other games.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

JJ82

Advanced Member

2/17/14 8:25:31 PM#125
Originally posted by Braindome

alot of people in real life spending LITERALLY THOUSANDS of DOLLARS to have a house (pixy dust) in a virtual world. 

I will be searching these people out and offering them company and telling them how awesome of a person they are and how awesome the house they own is on a daily basis, all I ask in return is full access to all amenities and some of those free special harvest items and $19.99 a month.

I plan on making a killing.

From what I can see, all of those tools who own those houses this early on are going to be seeking you out to brag about it lol, you aint gonna have to go lookin'.

Ultima Online had an island home sell on Ebay for thousands....this was some 15 years ago. I sold my first Asherons Call account for almost $1300 a year after its release. WoW may have changed the genre for the average non-MMORPG player, but hardcore players actually love their games and will pay for it. What SotA is doing is blending MMORPG with offline games like the Sims/Bethesda games/Spore where there are tons of mods and player created content only instead of them being on their own fan sites, they are in the in game shop being sold for money, partly going back to the players that make them.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

GungaDin

Hard Core Member

3/01/14 2:31:05 PM#126

I don't know, I just re-subbed UO for $13.77 and I can place house easily.   Much better deal :)

Plus the architecture of housing in UO (not customs of some lol) is nicer.

Colt47

Advanced Member

3/03/14 7:07:54 PM#127
Do people just really like being alarmists on MMORPG.com?  I saw this post and went over to the site to see if I could find any information on the housing and it seems like someone just saw the permanent lot thing for pledgers and threw a tantrum.   I don't doubt housing is going to be pricy, but there seems to be different plot sizes that can handle differently scaled structures.  The "pay upkeep or you lose the plot" is kind of annoying, but otherwise there isn't a lot that seems bad about housing.
  InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

3/03/14 9:18:47 PM#128
Originally posted by Colt47
Do people just really like being alarmists on MMORPG.com?  I saw this post and went over to the site to see if I could find any information on the housing and it seems like someone just saw the permanent lot thing for pledgers and threw a tantrum.   I don't doubt housing is going to be pricy, but there seems to be different plot sizes that can handle differently scaled structures.  The "pay upkeep or you lose the plot" is kind of annoying, but otherwise there isn't a lot that seems bad about housing.

That is exactly what seems to happen... I just urge people to go and have a look at the site and make informed decisions. Informed decisions these days, especially if you are an EA UO fanboi, are very rare to find though.

The upkeep for the lot isn't going to be anything major, especially when you consider what happened in UO. Loss of your house and EVERYTHING included in it, and the land it was on.

When UO was actually still played and popular, you also could find land, so yeah that was a bitch.

rild

Novice Member

3/06/14 5:54:00 PM#129

Let's also remember that housing and other amenities will be available for purchase with in-game gold. There is no need to purchase anything beyond a copy of the game with your hard-earned cash. Of course, I myself have dropped a good sum into Portalarium's coffers, and it's been some of the best money I have spent in recent memory. The whole experience has been highly rewarding.

My friends who don't game certainly thing I've gone off my rocker spending so much money for digital goods. You know though, I feel the same way about it as I do NPR. I like not hearing commercials on my radio station, and I don't want some big-wig publisher messing up my dream-game! That's why I support independent game developers. And Portalarium is in turn supporting other developers like Chris Roberts and Brad McQuaid and others. Did you know Portalarium (along with Warren Spector and a host of others) has helped to launch a game development program at University of Texas? Pretty cool!

http://moody.utexas.edu/news/ut-austins-denius-sams-gaming-academy-names-industry-leader-warren-spector-director

bills317

Advanced Member

3/20/14 9:33:35 AM#130
Originally posted by Neo_Viper

I agree, this is my main worry about this game. For me, it's very simple - if I can't own a house (without forking out $500 or more before the game is even finished), I won't play. But since the game will be "free to play" apparently, at least I'll be able to try it without giving a cent.

And mark my words - I won't be the only one pissed if he can't get a property in the game. Housing was very important in UO too, but UO had many shards, this game will only have one game world. If they don't change that, the amount of people quitting when they realize they don't have a chance in hell to get a plot of land to build their own house will be massive.

And don't get me even started about the gold farmers. The Asians will be all over this game with massive amount of farmers grabbing all the house spots and selling them back to players for huge amounts of real world cash.

Not just Asians. See also Markee Dragon lol.  That *** hoarded more prime spots then IGE lol. 

bills317

Advanced Member

3/20/14 9:35:43 AM#131

I nearly turned white the other day when they wanted me to increase my pledge to Lord so I can get that Castle & Lot.

How much you ask? 12k  , frickin twelve thousand dollars.  Fuck Lord British.

Aartemis-SoH

Apprentice Member

3/21/14 9:42:35 AM#132

Every lot size  is available in game with in-game money.  There will be "Limited" lots at launch and will release more with every Episode Release, However they have stated time and time again that there WILL be lots available at launch for IN-GAME purchase..

The reason they are waiting to announce the total number of available lots is because is has NOT been finalized yet.  They are going to wait to see how many they have pledged, and then add an additional amount.

You can upgrade to larger lots in-game with in-game money as well. 

As with Star Citizen, anyone backing now is doing so because they believe in the game and want it to be as good as possible.  For Backing, you get rewarded with early placement and unique house types.  You do NOT have to upgrade your pledge to get a Castle, you can earn one in game.  You may have to wait for lot to open up or new ones to release but such is a part of life.

Fast Lanes at amusement parks. First Class on Airplanes, Heck even "more comfortable seats".  Better seats at concerts...

Come on..  This is nothing new.   Pay up front or Earn it later - I don't know why it's such a point of contention.   

Read the Housing FAQ for Official Information

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_52

How can I purchase a Lot Deed?

There are three ways to purchase a Lot Deed. Backers at Citizen level and above receive Lot Deed with their pledge. Players can also purchase a Lot Deed in the game through earned in game currency. Finally players can purchase Village size Lot Deeds from the Add On store.

Aragon100

Elite Member

3/21/14 2:15:08 PM#133
Originally posted by bills317

I nearly turned white the other day when they wanted me to increase my pledge to Lord so I can get that Castle & Lot.

Yeah it is a joke. 

Only arround 20% of the playerbase will have a chance getting a house, rest will be without them, and it is a major game feature.

Good example of pay to win.

Bigdaddyx

Hard Core Member

3/21/14 2:24:58 PM#134
Originally posted by Aragon100
Originally posted by bills317

Yeah it is a joke. 

Only arround 20% of the playerbase will have a chance getting a house, rest will be without them, and it is a major game feature.

Good example of pay to win.

12K dollars? damn!!!!

This is why i stay away from kickstarters. 

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

3/21/14 2:26:30 PM#135

What is the budget they're working with again? What is the projected income?

I'm not quite sure this information is public for SWG, however I would assume SWG for one had a much larger team (I've heard over 100 devs actually), secondly a larger budget as well as projected rate of income during development. Even considering today's tech. World design is essentially the same procedure as it was in SWG. It took a very large team to create that world and it was largely auto generated as far as terrain goes (IE very few landscapes created by hand.)..

I find it funny someone would expect the scope of SWG from a kickstarter with a fairly short development plan.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

PAL-18

Advanced Member

3/21/14 2:38:07 PM#136
Bumbling around for too long in the game (meaning several years) will result in Lord British dying from starvation during his imprisonment, which also means a game over.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
**On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

pappacube

Hard Core Member

3/21/14 2:42:42 PM#137
...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....<insert here>
  Distopia

Drifter

3/21/14 2:48:28 PM#138
Originally posted by pappacube
...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....

Yes it would be such a better world if people stopped supporting the entertainment they enjoy.

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Bigdaddyx

Hard Core Member

3/21/14 2:58:39 PM#139
Originally posted by Distopia
...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....

Yes it would be such a better world if people stopped supporting the entertainment they enjoy.

Not that i care what people spend their money upon.. But 12K is still pretty insane

Distopia

Drifter

3/21/14 3:01:59 PM#140
Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
Originally posted by Distopia

Not that i care what people spend their money upon.. But 12K is still pretty insane

Oh I agree that's an outrageous price for my standards on digital products, on the other hand there are people who spend that much on a piece of chocolate. I"ve always looked at it as a status thing, some like to flaunt.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search