Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Hearthstone | Firefall | Rift

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,264 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,668
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » We want full open world, not instanced! And first post!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
70 posts found
  chrisbcarr

Novice Member

6/24/13 8:12:12 AM#61
I definitely want full open world, not instanced especially with housing!!
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

6/24/13 8:22:11 AM#62
Originally posted by Onigod

What are open worlds?

Companies have lost the meaning of it.. they will promote something as an open world yet have 50 different channels/hubs on that same world.

I cant play any game that uses channels.  if i play on a server i want to see everyone playing on that server in my world.  playing a mmorpg is meaningless if you will never see any of the players again that you just played with. on top of that communities always suck in these type of games.  it doesnt matter what you do it cant be used against u since the people you said/did it to will never be seen again.

Actually it's the players who have lost their way by redefining the definitions used in a game to suit their needs or biases.  Open-World means that there is freedom to go anywhere.  Think of it as an open map with no boundaries.  Most gamers confuse the term or use it loosely and interchangeably with Zoned or Seamless worlds.  Some even say that there is a lack of instancing in an open world.  But that's not true either.  Any time you begin to narrow the definition you create issues that can never be recovered from.

Your post is a perfect example of this narrow thinking, having copies of a world/zone is not nor never be part of whether a world is open world or not.  You can have different channels in an MMO and continue to be open world, just as you can have zones in a world and continue to be open or linear.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Mandible

Novice Member

10/05/13 2:05:42 PM#63
Originally posted by taus01
Originally posted by evemaster00

We want full open world, not instanced!

Why does richard garriot think ex UO players want anything less than an actual WORLD where all players are able to interact with each other? Be it for good, or for bad. It's the ups and downs that makes for the best experience.

The whole Kickstarter looks to me like an attempt to jump on the bandwagon and get some easy cash. I am puzzled by the design decisions and the lack of vision. It is not even an mmo, its more of the facebook generation pseudo online games we have seen in recent years. Lobby or world map with instanced multiplayer but mostly made for solo play.

I am disappointed Lord British!

Agreed, I feel the say way......  LB is all about gaming with your facebook friends these days. I'm an older mature gamer and dont have any friends who will be playing this game.... Richard keeps talking about how we are going to play with our friends.... I'm thinking who the hell is he talking about. I want to meet my friends IN THE GAME, not bring my friends from Facebook. He's completely lost and turn this game into a rediculious lobby based game like D&D online. 

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

10/06/13 10:18:35 PM#64
Originally posted by Mandible
Originally posted by taus01
Originally posted by evemaster00

We want full open world, not instanced!

Why does richard garriot think ex UO players want anything less than an actual WORLD where all players are able to interact with each other? Be it for good, or for bad. It's the ups and downs that makes for the best experience.

The whole Kickstarter looks to me like an attempt to jump on the bandwagon and get some easy cash. I am puzzled by the design decisions and the lack of vision. It is not even an mmo, its more of the facebook generation pseudo online games we have seen in recent years. Lobby or world map with instanced multiplayer but mostly made for solo play.

I am disappointed Lord British!

Agreed, I feel the say way......  LB is all about gaming with your facebook friends these days. I'm an older mature gamer and dont have any friends who will be playing this game.... Richard keeps talking about how we are going to play with our friends.... I'm thinking who the hell is he talking about. I want to meet my friends IN THE GAME, not bring my friends from Facebook. He's completely lost and turn this game into a rediculious lobby based game like D&D online. 

LB isn't about gaming with your facebook friends... Gamers are. Casual gamers, ones that aren't hard core, ones that can't really play games properly any longer due to the attention span issues of today's youth.

I also want to meet new players in the game, nobody I know on FB plays the crap I do because they are all nubs. 

The good thing is, there is an Open Player Online mode, it isn't induced by any sort of social media friend junk, and you can meet new players in the game. Bad part about this is due to the way the game will be working, there could be a maximum amount of players around 100 which will be connected to your game at any given time.

We need more info, and need to see this in action, but I don't think it is the end of the world.

stvnkrs10

Novice Member

10/07/13 7:58:00 AM#65
Originally posted by chrisbcarr
I definitely want full open world, not instanced especially with housing!!

The housing area of this game is not going to be instanced. Just because you don't see certain people doesn't mean your house and vendors won't, they will be viewable by everyone at all times.

The Open World Online feature aims to group you with people with similar play styles around you, if you are a soloer, you may only run in to soloers, if you area pvper you will more than likely only see those who engage in pvp. LB is making the game so you only encounter those of a similar play as you and it sounds good to me.

If I want to be pvp then I will only see pvp style people, if I chose to be a pve only character, then I don't have to worry about being ganked every time I leave town. It is a little segregated but all in all, it's not a deal breaker for me. 

The only people this should affect are the pvp gank crews that prey upon us innocent miners and crafters out to find some metals. 

Ezbee

Novice Member

11/02/13 10:10:19 PM#66

I agree, when I saw that part of the game description it killed all my hype. 

Sounds similar to neverwinter's system but that sort of works because of the type of game it is. With this game it sound like an awful system.

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

11/02/13 11:34:45 PM#67

I played NWO for about two days, the game was so cookie cutter and so terrible I couldn't even play much past that. 

What does that tell you?

Aragon100

Elite Member

11/09/13 9:23:01 AM#68

What are open worlds?

Companies have lost the meaning of it.. they will promote something as an open world yet have 50 different channels/hubs on that same world.

I cant play any game that uses channels.  if i play on a server i want to see everyone playing on that server in my world.  playing a mmorpg is meaningless if you will never see any of the players again that you just played with. on top of that communities always suck in these type of games.  it doesnt matter what you do it cant be used against u since the people you said/did it to will never be seen again.

Your right, you wont see your favorite enemy guild if you arent in their instance.

In UO for example you laways had ALL enemies in your game.

It is a online game but you wont be able to meet all players that actually play the game and who you meet will differ every time you log into the game.

Romulan78

Advanced Member

11/09/13 9:29:04 AM#69
Originally posted by Aragon100

What are open worlds?

Your right, you wont see your favorite enemy guild if you arent in their instance.

It is a online game but you wont be able to meet all players that actually play the game and who you meet will differ every time you log into the game.

eww, what a waste of a game if what you say is correct.

Marksman/Bladedancer/Saboteur

InsaneMembrane

Apprentice Member

11/09/13 11:01:46 AM#70
Originally posted by Romulan78
Originally posted by Aragon100

What are open worlds?

eww, what a waste of a game if what you say is correct.

Please remember this person is very very bias against SotA and what he says should always be taken with a grain of salt.

If you couldnt game with your guild members, what is the point of having a guild? None. So, simple answer is always best - yes you can actually play with your guild members lol.

The game will feature a social media type player matching engine, you join a host with your friends first, then players who "play the game like you" type thing. 

If you've got any questions, head over to SotA site, check the FAQ and reg on their forum. Do not take anything here as WORD.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search