Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | H1Z1 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,053 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,615
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » SotA is just another carebear game

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
138 posts found
  Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/17/13 1:17:13 PM#41
Originally posted by Aragon100
Originally posted by Neo_Viper

If it means the game will have less people insulting others with childish appellations like "carebear" just because they have a different play style and preference than their own, then it can only make this game's community better.

Just saying.

Care bear is my opinion on players that want a risk free game with no risk vs reward and no consequences. And it is a fully accepted term in the MMO community.

Even better, it's moderator-approved, allowing you to flame on without risk of spanking!

The forum equivalent of punching your little brother (but only if mom's not looking).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 1:21:21 PM#42
Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Today that is out of the question and reason for that is carebears over at SotA forums jump every PvP thread and want to make consequences less harsh, playerskill less demanding, no full loot and on and on and on. No risk vs reward.

First, there are obviously more people, who also Kickstarted the project by the way, who would prefer less harsh PvP. Secondly, your absolute lack of respect for other players does NOTHING to help your cause. In fact, a developer would look at this thread and say, "Wow, this type of person is exactly what we DON'T want in our game." It's unfortunate that you've decided to represent the pro-PvP camp in such a negative light because it doesn't do anything except to cast a negative light on them. If you'd like to make the argument for non-consensual PvP, then do it with logical arguments and less name calling. Finally, you can't throw out a relatively accurate definition of what a "carebear" is and then, almost immediately afterwards, say that you just feel like all PvE players should be called carebears. Again, it doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look petty, like a little kid who didn't like how the game was being played so just started calling everyone names. We talk an awful lot about community on this forum and you've given a great example of how the MMO community has become rotten. 

There havent been any poll on that and i believe more players then you understand want a oldschool UO game to play.

I am not here to make YOU or any carebear my friend. I reacted to the biased moderators over at SotA that allow certain even worse descriptions of the non-consensual PvP players. Carebear on the other hand isnt allowed over at SotA. There are different rules for the carebears.

I dont want the carebears affecting my game and turn SotA PvP into carebear land. I would never play SotA if the only PvP game available is turned into a PvP game where carebears had the last word -

CaptainJackSparrow point out one of the main problems developers have to solve in these lines and i quote -

"  I think I can answer that now, which was something I didn't catch before. Ok this is how it goes. Right now there are crafter RP types sitting on the fence, maybe they wanna try PvP, maybe they do want to PvP but the problem is they do not want to take risks nor lose their valuable crafter RP type stuffs to us rabid maniacs foaming at the mouth to get their robes and chairs and stuff.

So without the color, basically they want to PvP but in a perfectly safe sterile environment, so by going into OPO and having PvP it is "forcing" them into PvP(which is full loot) they don't want. This is also a very large issue for PvP players, as when we go into PvP we really want full loot, hard core rules for hard core gamers should apply when we go for it.

Two types of PvP players mixed into both the Crafter/RP group and the Rabid/PK group, and this is where the sweet spot will be for the devs to program for. I do NOT envy them, it seems no matter what they end up doing, it is going to cause issues
 "

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-13

You see it as negative the way i describe carebears but you know what, i dont care what you think. You and me will never play the same game and im very glad for that. I play with my 100 member guild and we have a blast in the games we enter. See what i did there, my playstyle is appreciated by my members and having a tight 100 man guild tells me that i dont do so much things wrong or they wouldnt be there.

Do you have such a guild enjoying your gamestyle? I doubt it. 

Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/17/13 1:23:31 PM#43
Originally posted by Icewhite

If it means the game will have less people insulting others with childish appellations like "carebear" just because they have a different play style and preference than their own, then it can only make this game's community better.

Just saying.

Care bear is my opinion on players that want a risk free game with no risk vs reward and no consequences. And it is a fully accepted term in the MMO community.

Even better, it's moderator-approved, allowing you to flame on without risk of spanking!

The forum equivalent of punching your little brother (but only if mom's not looking).

Great point! One could almost draw the conclusion that moderation is completely and maybe randomly subjective.

P.S. - I'm a carebear. I think it's funny and sort of ironic that the carebears have PK'd the griefers in the meta game and booted them. I got some dirty satisfaction from that.

The OP should probably play a game more suited to his tastes like Pathfinder Online. There is a game with free ganking and griefing. It seems just what the OP is looking for.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 1:24:08 PM#44
Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

Carebear is a good name for all PvE players.

You called me a carebear without knowing me nor my playstyle, huge difference, you made it personal.

In a previous thread, a PVPer objected to essentially being called a Sociopath in the Sota forum.  Apparently, some of the people in that forum thought that was a good name for his style of play.

How do you feel about PVErs sticking derogatory names on *your* style of play?  I’m sure they can come up with quite a few.

[mod edit]

That is not correct, again you are working on outdated information. The community manager FireLotus unbanned that word. And as I have already said, you'd have to understand why they attempted to ban it in the first place. Because people like me and you use it to troll crafters and RP players hard by calling them carebears, I mean that is the sole reason that term is here for.

Again, I please ask you very kindly with no sarcasm at all, and I am not trying to troll you either, I just want you to go and read and post your suggestions over at SotA instead of casting rocks from this forum.

So carebear is allowed over at SotA?

Good then i guess they read my thread and finally understood how wrong they treated the ones that favor non-consensual PvP.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/17/13 1:27:23 PM#45

You see it as negative the way i describe carebears but you know what, i dont care what you think. You and me will never play the same game and im very glad for that. I play with my 100 member guild and we have a blast in the games we enter. See what i did there, my playstyle is appreciated by my members and having a tight 100 man guild tells me that i dont do so much things wrong or they wouldnt be there.

Do you have such a guild enjoying your gamestyle? I doubt it. 

When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way.
From your first cigarette, to your last dyin' day.

--#WestSideStory

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 1:27:32 PM#46
Originally posted by Torvaldr

Just saying.

Great point! One could almost draw the conclusion that moderation is completely and maybe randomly subjective.

P.S. - I'm a carebear. I think it's funny and sort of ironic that the carebears have PK'd the griefers in the meta game and booted them. I got some dirty satisfaction from that.

The OP should probably play a game more suited to his tastes like Pathfinder Online. There is a game with free ganking and griefing. It seems just what the OP is looking for.

Why dont you read the thread before posting?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397921/page/3

You called me a carebear without knowing me nor my playstyle, huge difference, you made it personal.

I played felluca after trammel and it was nothing like a graveyard, it was more populated then before trammel, I was there.  Were you there? 

That felucca was so unpopulated after trammel is a common lie carebears uses to point finger on how unsuccessful UO was during the non-consensual era and that trammel saved the game. Trammel didnt destroy anything in felucca, the Europe server was more populated then ever and it was actually the best time i had in UO. 

My guild were fighting similar players in chaos/order/factions or we killed PK:s. We often helped new players out when we had the time since we knew that would be good for the game in the long run. So you see i were never the griefing asshole so many carebears fear getting into their game. I really despise the kind of players that seek out the weak, it only make themself weak. We gave them some playerjustice and often it worked very well when they realized there is some better players arround that wont accept my griefing playstyle.

Playerjustice is better then doing it like SotA are doing it. Consensual PvP will remove alot of potential players from the game.

I never saw PK:s as a hard problem after statloss was introduced. They could have made the penalties even worse but instead developers chickened out and created trammel and a split population.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/17/13 1:29:01 PM#47

In a previous thread, a PVPer objected to essentially being called a Sociopath in the Sota forum.  Apparently, some of the people in that forum thought that was a good name for his style of play.

How do you feel about PVErs sticking derogatory names on *your* style of play?  I’m sure they can come up with quite a few.

[mod edit]

That is not correct, again you are working on outdated information. The community manager FireLotus unbanned that word. And as I have already said, you'd have to understand why they attempted to ban it in the first place. Because people like me and you use it to troll crafters and RP players hard by calling them carebears, I mean that is the sole reason that term is here for.

Again, I please ask you very kindly with no sarcasm at all, and I am not trying to troll you either, I just want you to go and read and post your suggestions over at SotA instead of casting rocks from this forum.

Good then i guess they read my thread and finally understood how wrong they treated the ones that favor non-consensual PvP.

lol you don't deserve to be treated any better than you are. Expecting kid glove treatment is exactly where the carebear definition stemmed from - people didn't want to have the bad consequences of pvp so they asked for kid glove pvp. You just lost the pvp match at sota. Deal with it. It's amazing how many gankers and griefers are really carebears in disguise, expecting some special treatment when they don't get their own way. Sometimes you win in pvp and sometimes you lose. This is like permadeath, just for your pvp style is all.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/17/13 1:40:31 PM#48

Just saying.

Why dont you read the thread before posting?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397921/page/3

I played felluca after trammel and it was nothing like a graveyard, it was more populated then before trammel, I was there.  Were you there? 

That felucca was so unpopulated after trammel is a common lie carebears uses to point finger on how unsuccessful UO was during the non-consensual era and that trammel saved the game. Trammel didnt destroy anything in felucca, the Europe server was more populated then ever and it was actually the best time i had in UO. 

My guild were fighting similar players in chaos/order/factions or we killed PK:s. We often helped new players out when we had the time since we knew that would be good for the game in the long run. So you see i were never the griefing asshole so many carebears fear getting into their game. I really despise the kind of players that seek out the weak, it only make themself weak. We gave them some playerjustice and often it worked very well when they realized there is some better players arround that wont accept my griefing playstyle.

Playerjustice is better then doing it like SotA are doing it. Consensual PvP will remove alot of potential players from the game.

I never saw PK:s as a hard problem after statloss was introduced. They could have made the penalties even worse but instead developers chickened out and created trammel and a split population.

Yep, I did. Anytime someone throws around epithets it's personal whether you want to admit it or not. I don't care what you did in UO or what your self appointed accolades are. They mean nothing to me or probably anyone else. Whining and lashing out cause you didn't get your way is about as carebear as it gets regardless of your past. I played Lineage (the real one, not L2) for years. Do you care? What does it matter if I've pk'd the hell out of people before? What we played in the past means little to nothing in the present. 

The bottom line is you got PK'd in the meta game and it's funny really. No amount of yelling is going to change that. Trying to put down the pve players with derogatory labels isn't going to win you friends or your objective again because it's irrelevant to actually implementing the mechanic. There's free form pvp games out there. Play them.

Deivos

Apprentice Member

Iarð skal rifna, ok upphiminn.

10/17/13 2:24:35 PM#49
Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero. - Vaarsuvius

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 2:51:51 PM#50

Calling someone a carebear isnt allowed over at SotA forums but saying you have a mentally disorder and need professional help cause you enjoy a different playstyle with risk vs reward and consequences is allowed. Thats why i made that thread.

Moderators over at SotA are biased. They favor the carebears for some reason. There is different rules for these different playstyles.

If carebear was a allowed word over at SotA then that thread would never have been made. They brought it on them themself.

lol you don't deserve to be treated any better than you are. Expecting kid glove treatment is exactly where the carebear definition stemmed from - people didn't want to have the bad consequences of pvp so they asked for kid glove pvp. You just lost the pvp match at sota. Deal with it. It's amazing how many gankers and griefers are really carebears in disguise, expecting some special treatment when they don't get their own way. Sometimes you win in pvp and sometimes you lose. This is like permadeath, just for your pvp style is all.

Your right that is the name of the thread.

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 3:00:07 PM#51
Originally posted by Deivos
Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

I consider that risk vs reward. Add consequences as full loot to it and its pretty much as it should be.

Explain what in carebear world you would consider risk vs reward, im interested.

Deivos

Apprentice Member

Iarð skal rifna, ok upphiminn.

10/17/13 4:06:15 PM#52

In PvE, risk vs reward would be the same as anywhere else. effort and cost can be as much of a factor wherever you go.

For example, you say full loot PvP, and the PvE equivalent already exists in the form of corpse runs to recover your stuff. You can modify that equation by letting NPCs wield your equipment, and that gives the double effect of having to recover your gear while at a loss, and bridge the gap of retaking it from a foe as if a person had taken it.

Your premise is built on the notion that the problems one faces in PvP is functionally any different than that which one would face in PvE, and not realizing that both are bound to the exact same subject of what rules define the overall game.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero. - Vaarsuvius

Aragon100

Elite Member

OP  10/17/13 4:48:13 PM#53

In PvE, risk vs reward would be the same as anywhere else. effort and cost can be as much of a factor wherever you go.

For example, you say full loot PvP, and the PvE equivalent already exists in the form of corpse runs to recover your stuff. You can modify that equation by letting NPCs wield your equipment, and that gives the double effect of having to recover your gear while at a loss, and bridge the gap of retaking it from a foe as if a person had taken it.

Your premise is built on the notion that the problems one faces in PvP is functionally any different than that which one would face in PvE, and not realizing that both are bound to the exact same subject of what rules define the overall game.

Yes there is effort but there is no risk, just rewards. And there is very little consequences.

Corpse runs usually mean you run to a body that never decay or you just have your loot on you when ressurect. 

In the PvE world some games use insurance to lower the risk loosing anything. I can go on alot longer but there is a huge difference.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/17/13 5:08:21 PM#54

This makes sense. In Lineage 1 I would have the same xp penalty whether I died to a mob or a player. Whether I dropped items and how much I dropped to the ground would depend on my personal karma score. Mobs and players gave different types of rewards. You might get lucky and get a good drop from a chaotic player, but smart people had pk gear sets so if they died and dropped it was no big deal. In fact some "red" chaotics went out and got killed to reduce their karma debt so they could put good gear back on and farm the xp loss faster.

In any event all that still doesn't matter because they obviously learned from UO that pure gankfest pvp wasn't that popular, but more so that sort of open pvp is a nightmare to keep in check if the feedback from Koster is any indication. If people supported sota before they knew exactly how pvp would work then that's their fault. They get to learn a real risk vs reward lesson. Next time maybe they'll be more careful with throwing their support and money after the wind.

Dwarfman420

Novice Member

Someone set us up the bomb

10/17/13 5:09:15 PM#55

Pvp in UO =

Reds - pvp spec'd/geared

hunting

Blue players -  pve spec'd/geared trying to pve.

roflmao

w/e 2 hardcore pvp in UO

what a joke

g0m0rrah

Advanced Member

10/17/13 5:14:04 PM#56
Originally posted by TiamatRoar
Originally posted by Zajjar

We try so hard to incorporate reallife and realism into mmorpgs, yet, the thing the entire earth is evolving around is PVP.

I praise the day, we get an adventure mmo, where u claim what u kill.

I dunno, I haven't PVP'd a person in real life in like, 16 years, so I wouldn't say my real life revolves around real PvP. 

This statement is pretty absurd.  Every time you apply for a job, get in an argument, drive your car in traffic, ebay, place an offer on a house, you engage in PvP.  We are constantly competing for resources, land, etc.

I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.  If it comes down to choice, then risk vs reward options are a good thing.  NPC content becomes stale and must constantly be evolved to make things interesting and involving.  With PvP, varied character development and varied player skill keeps you guessing and I find this kind of combat much more interesting.

Halandir

Advanced Member

10/17/13 5:15:11 PM#57

Yes insurance and full loot. You can board and kill the crew and steal there ship and cargo.

There are no complete safe zones just some that are safer then others.

Full loot and non-consensual PvP is good enough for me. That is something we will never see in SotA.

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Anyway: Good luck with your game. I hope it will match your expectations  :-)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

g0m0rrah

Advanced Member

10/17/13 5:21:55 PM#58
Originally posted by Halandir

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Anyway: Good luck with your game. I hope it will match your expectations  :-)

Yes why should we critique any mmorpg when one already caters to our needs.  When a mmo isnt even developed yet and they are still basically in the idea stage, we should never comment on our ideas.  We should go play the game that already exists that fits our needs. 

Just because Eve exists does not mean we do not want a decent fantasy setting PvP game that is FFA.  Your argument that " since there is one or two games that fits your needs, you should play them and never speak about other MMORPGS " is a pretty weak one.

We complain about a function or mechanic we do not like.  You complain about us complaining.  We get no constructive ideas.  How about you actually speak on the topic.  Imagine this kind of attitude in the real world, Hey KFC my chicken was under cooked.  Hey man, dont complain about under cooked chicken when you can just go get chicken at Popeye's.

Averros

Spotlight Poster

There is no innocence, only degree's of guilt!

10/17/13 5:26:47 PM#59

Please explain to me how PVP = Risk vs Reward gameplay? You keep tossing that around but have yet to explain how this is the case.

You take offense at being called a carebear yourself, and then proceed to take offense that some said you "May" have sociopathic idiations. Yet you continue to use a derogitory term for PvE only players. Do you see the hypocrisy in this?

You like PvP, you think it is the best thing ever, we really do get it. Just move on, stop with the 30 threads for the same bloody topic. Pick one thread and stay there.

And again before you jump on me calling me a carebear... I do PvP, I enjoy PvP. I do not however believe that it is the ONLY way to play, nor do I see how this is "Risk vs Reward" gameplay. That is a canned statement that you are using to make it mean whatever the hell you want.

Risk = Risking something in the game, this can be anything, Time, Loot, Exp, Repair costs. There are different levels of Rick

Reward = The things you gain. XP, Loot, Money

Last I checked all of this can be obtained in PvE as well. So really, your statement does not define what you want it to. However I do understand what you are trying to say.

g0m0rrah

Advanced Member

10/17/13 5:31:25 PM#60
Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

Please explain to me how PVP = Risk vs Reward gameplay? You keep tossing that around but have yet to explain how this is the case.

So you are at the track.  A horse named " Mr Obvious " is 1000/1 and a horse named " Bad Analogy " is 10/1 odds.  Obviously, Mr Obvious is less likely to win so there is more risk to offset the chance at greater gain. 

To translate this to MMORPG PvP terms, If an area has the best loot/exp/money but it is a PvP area, there is much greater risk of death(time/exp wasted) for chance at greater gains.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search