Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,438 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,975
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » SotA, EA, Kickstarter and lawyers....

4 posts found
  spankybus

Apprentice Member

"Don''t touch that squirrel''s nuts!" - Willy Wonka

OP  4/05/13 7:02:01 AM#1

My question is kind of one that everyone should have, particularly if you are going to give money to the Kickstarter campaign.

Richard Garriott (RG) is making TONs of references to his Ultima days, which he certainly can do. I mean, he did make those. But now EA owns the rights to that universe and they are currently making Ultima Forever for the iPad and prolly other platforms over time.

Now RG isn't only referencing his glory days. many of the elements advertised about SotA scream Ultima...Avatar, Virtues, He's having interviews with Iolo and Dupree.....how much closer to home does he have to get before the lawyers EA attack?

Do you think they already plan to and are waiting for the right time? If they do, what happens to the money that everyone gave to Kickstarter? How much you wanna bet EA is waiting to take action until after the project is funded? 

I asked this question during the LordBritish presents reveal and got nothing, of course.

EA has to see this is competition to Ultima Forever. 

Has this been addressed anywhere? Your you go after him if you were EA?  

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

hockeyplayr

Advanced Member

4/05/13 7:06:33 AM#2
I hope nothing happens.  This is the only kickstarter project that has ever convinced me to contribute (after watching the live stream last night)
  tokini

Apprentice Member

4/05/13 7:12:47 AM#3

if they waited till it was funded, and sued (and won), knowing full well it would cost consumers/players the money they donated, would be a catostrophic PR nightmare for EA.  no matter the legal issues, who's in the right, what the potential risks donors may or may not have known, all anyone will see is 'EA screws players again'.  frankly any action they take againsty this project wopuld probably be met with a similar reaction.

whether thats fair or not, thats how i see it going, if your scenario were to come to fruition.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

4/05/13 9:30:08 AM#4
Originally posted by hockeyplayr
I hope nothing happens.  This is the only kickstarter project that has ever convinced me to contribute (after watching the live stream last night)

I was like you before I saw that housing in that game is actually 100% "pay to win"... and not pay a couple of dozen dollars, which I wouldn't mind, but $500+ for a game not even in alpha.

I cancelled my contribution and am gonna wait to see how all this ends. No way I'm gonna be part of the sheep crowd paying over $500 for the promise of a virtual property in a video game which will maybe be released in a far future. Not even for Lord British.

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.