Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,285 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,530
Portalarium Inc | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Portalarium Inc
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Shroud of the Avatar Forum » General Discussion » We want full open world, not instanced! And first post!

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search
70 posts found
  evemaster00

Novice Member

OP  3/18/13 6:45:50 PM#1

We want full open world, not instanced!

Why does richard garriot think ex UO players want anything less than an actual WORLD where all players are able to interact with each other? Be it for good, or for bad. It's the ups and downs that makes for the best experience.

taziar

Advanced Member

3/18/13 6:53:58 PM#2
You are assuming he is only creating the game for UO players.  There were NINE single player games in the Ultima series.  
  taus01

Advanced Member

3/18/13 6:57:12 PM#3
Originally posted by evemaster00

Why does richard garriot think ex UO players want anything less than an actual WORLD where all players are able to interact with each other? Be it for good, or for bad. It's the ups and downs that makes for the best experience.

The whole Kickstarter looks to me like an attempt to jump on the bandwagon and get some easy cash. I am puzzled by the design decisions and the lack of vision. It is not even an mmo, its more of the facebook generation pseudo online games we have seen in recent years. Lobby or world map with instanced multiplayer but mostly made for solo play.

I am disappointed Lord British!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

3/19/13 8:48:38 AM#4
Originally posted by taus01

The whole Kickstarter looks to me like an attempt to jump on the bandwagon and get some easy cash. I am puzzled by the design decisions and the lack of vision. It is not even an mmo, its more of the facebook generation pseudo online games we have seen in recent years. Lobby or world map with instanced multiplayer but mostly made for solo play.

You have no proof of that (the instanced world / facebook game). The early videos available are definitely not from a facebook game.

Even though I thought I'd never do that, I invested $33 in the project. Would it be anyone else, I wouldn't have given a cent. Because even if it's just what you say, if it's even just remotely good as the old Ultima Games (not UO) it will be worth playing.

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Caldrin

Advanced Member

3/19/13 8:56:33 AM#5

This is not a MMORPG...

Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends!  Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game.  We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

Single Player Online (SPO)
In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world.  However, you are not visible on anyone else’s screen, nor for grouping, and you don’t see anyone else in the world.  You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map.  Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.

Friends Play Online (FPO)
In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you.  Like single player, this is just a server side filter.  For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.

Open Play Online (OPO)
In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see.  This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you.

Its an RPG with a couple of different multiplayer options...

So no this is not UO 2, think of it more as a continuation of the origional ultima games.

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Torvaldr

Elite Member

3/19/13 9:06:26 AM#6

I like the idea of FPO, SPO, OPO modes.

I'm an Ultima fan, not a UO player so I don't really care about the OPs demand.  His worlds were always interesting to me before so I'll see what he's cooking up this time.

Curse you AquaScum!

winter

Advanced Member

3/19/13 9:12:12 AM#7

No, no we don't. Don't pretend to speak for everyone as you don't.

What we want is a fun playable game ie relatively lag free. Not a game where theres a 100 people in one small area with 20 idiots dancing on a mail box and enough lag, and rubber banding that its takes 10 mins to do a 1 min walk or task.. Not a game where you have to wait in line behind several other groups to finally kill a boss mob, and certainly not not a game that while you and your guild group are exploring that secret lost ruin your group has monster trains running by every 5 mins like grand central station because some players either can't get groups of their own or just like griefing groups

Yamota

Advanced Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

3/19/13 9:15:04 AM#8

I think Richard Garriot has lost his way. He used to be an innovator but now he seems to just be an imitator so I dont expect much from this game. Guy is a "has been".

Caldrin

Advanced Member

3/19/13 9:28:46 AM#9
Originally posted by Yamota

I think Richard Garriot has lost his way. He used to be an innovator but now he seems to just be an imitator so I dont expect much from this game. Guy is a "has been".

wait there what is this game imitating ? I dont re-call playing game that has these kind of features...

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

3/19/13 10:17:30 AM#10
Originally posted by Caldrin

So no this is not UO 2, think of it more as a continuation of the origional ultima games.

Yup, a continuation of the original Ultima games with multiplayer/MMORPG features.

Sounds excellent to me. And the idea of having single/multi/MMO play style in the same world sounds intriguing to me too. Some days I just don't feel like dealing with the usual MMO kiddie crowd, some others I just want to have fun with friends and some others I want to enjoy a full open MMO world - looks like 3 packages into one here.

[mod edit]

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Yamota

Advanced Member

3/19/13 3:28:47 PM#11
Originally posted by Caldrin

wait there what is this game imitating ? I dont re-call playing game that has these kind of features...

Well imitator is maybe not the correct word but he does seem to have given up on MMOs and not trying to create a sucessor of UO but rather a single/lmited multiplayer game. And that is going backwards, from UO, not forwards.

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/19/13 3:33:29 PM#12
Originally posted by taziar
You are assuming he is only creating the game for UO players.  There were NINE single player games in the Ultima series.  

Funny thing about those nine games was that they were all open world too!

Anyway, I find it odd that a lot of the people defending TESO for not being like TES is that one is an MMO and the others are single player games yet they are also here arguing the opposite...

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

3/19/13 3:41:54 PM#13
Originally posted by JasonJ

Funny thing about those nine games was that they were all open world too!

It has yet to be proved that SotA will not be open world. Nothing in what has been said hints otherwise.

The fact that you'll be able to experience the world solo, small group or full open doesn't make it less open, it will just make people able to choose their favorite way to experience it. The limit remains the highest level, which is full open world here.

The only kind of players I could see annoyed with that are the open world PvP gankers, but Richard Garriot learned not to care about that whining minority like 12 years ago. For everyone else, being able to choose your way of playing the game each time you log in is definitely a positive point.

Onigod

Novice Member

3/19/13 3:44:47 PM#14

What are open worlds?

Companies have lost the meaning of it.. they will promote something as an open world yet have 50 different channels/hubs on that same world.

I cant play any game that uses channels.  if i play on a server i want to see everyone playing on that server in my world.  playing a mmorpg is meaningless if you will never see any of the players again that you just played with. on top of that communities always suck in these type of games.  it doesnt matter what you do it cant be used against u since the people you said/did it to will never be seen again.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

3/19/13 3:54:13 PM#15

Well imitator is maybe not the correct word but he does seem to have given up on MMOs and not trying to create a sucessor of UO but rather a single/lmited multiplayer game. And that is going backwards, from UO, not forwards.

Many out there may think that not catering to people like you may be a step forward. Your argument works two ways. Don't pretend you hold the ultimate truth - apparently most of the MMOs you disliked in the past are still doing just fine without you.

What you want is not the only possible way to do things - and definitely not the best success wise. But I wonder why I'm trying to explain that, considering your post history of intolerance towards any game that doesn't fit your precise rules of what a MMORPG should be.

Yamota

Advanced Member

3/20/13 6:08:06 AM#16
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Many out there may think that not catering to people like you may be a step forward. Your argument works two ways. Don't pretend you hold the ultimate truth - apparently most of the MMOs you disliked in the past are still doing just fine without you.

What you want is not the only possible way to do things - and definitely not the best success wise. But I wonder why I'm trying to explain that, considering your post history of intolerance towards any game that doesn't fit your precise rules of what a MMORPG should be.

You are making arguments which are not part of the discussion here. I am talking about working on UO and creating a successor for it. Obviously a non MMO would not be that and I dont see how my post history has anything to do with the fact that this guy did create the grandfathers of sandbox MMOs and it would make sense to build on that.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

3/20/13 7:30:48 AM#17
  • Fully Interactive World | Everything is interactive in one way or another.
  • Classless Character System | You won't be limited to any class, but instead will really be able to craft your own class.
  • Extensive Player Housing | There are several types of housing that will serve different purposes all together.
Sounds a lot like UO to me so far.

I don't expect Richard Garriot to repeat the MISTAKES he made in UO - notably forcing FFA PvP on everybody, something they had to revert with Trammel in order to stop the player bleeding. While this won't be pre-trammel UO made 3D, which would be doomed to failure (we all know how well FFA PvP games fare... very badly), it definitely takes root in the Ultima Games including UO.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

3/20/13 7:42:21 AM#18
Originally posted by taus01

You're puzzled because it doesn't fit the MMO mold. Hopefully this clears things up for you:

It's not an MMO.  It's a singleplayer/multiplayer RPG.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

tom_gore

Novice Member

3/20/13 8:01:26 AM#19

Well if only he would be catering to either UO or the single player game fans. Instead, it seems to be some kind of hybrid with the boredom of MMOs and the social aspects of a facebook game.

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 8:15:09 AM#20
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Fully Interactive World | Everything is interactive in one way or another.
  • Classless Character System | You won't be limited to any class, but instead will really be able to craft your own class.
  • Extensive Player Housing | There are several types of housing that will serve different purposes all together.
Sounds a lot like UO to me so far.

I don't expect Richard Garriot to repeat the MISTAKES he made in UO - notably forcing FFA PvP on everybody, something they had to revert with Trammel in order to stop the player bleeding. While this won't be pre-trammel UO made 3D, which would be doomed to failure (we all know how well FFA PvP games fare... very badly), it definitely takes root in the Ultima Games including UO.

What does FFA PvP have to do with this? He is talking about having an OPEN world, not an instanced one...and few UO players would say FFA PvP was a bad idea...as for your comment about FFA games failing...I find that rather amusing seeing the popularity of FFA games in Asia topping all but WoW in he west. Nexon and NCsoft became the powerhouses they are today based on FFA games. But I do thank you for the red herring which has nothing to do with the topic.

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search