Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,530 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,901
Bungie | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 09/09/14)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Destiny Forum » General Discussion » Will this be the best selling video game evar??! YOU DECIDE!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
28 posts found
  ellobo29

Advanced Member

OP  2/08/14 10:29:41 PM#1

Activision says 'Destiny' will be the best-selling original video game ever

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5388758/activision-says-destiny-will-be-best-stelling-new-video-game-ip-ever

JYNX themselves much?

http://medias.luna-atra.fr/gw2/char_tool/CT_imageGenerator.php?pseudo=Centurion%20Mikal&lang=EN&code=&code=TSwtLDUsLSw2LC0sMjksOSwyMiwyMywyNCwtLDEwMiwzNiw4MSw4NCw4OQ%3D%3D

Torcip

Hard Core Member

2/08/14 10:33:49 PM#2
Boy are they going to be surprised come September.
  RelGn

Novice Member

2/08/14 10:37:04 PM#3

Not sure but as an fps and rpg fan this game looks like a blast to me.

Of course some times shit happens.Well nowdays shit happens more regular than we think

DMKano

Elite Member

2/08/14 11:20:26 PM#4

OP - you need to edit your subject line - it's misleading, what they are really saying is this :

"best-selling new video game IP in history."

Key words - new IP - that makes it completely different.

So they are not claiming it's going to outsell these huge existing game IPs like GTA or CoD etc... but they are claiming as far as new IP games go.

It's possible, we'll see.

gervaise1

Elite Member

3/01/14 6:55:43 PM#5

^^^^^^

To be fair to the OP the title of the thread is the same as the title in the referenced article which is given as part of a statement made by Bobby Kotick. DMKano is right though to "question" it as it stands.

Looking at the expanded quote makes more sense: "We expect that Destiny will become the best-selling new video IP game in history".

This may reflect the "record setting" pre-orders based on Activision's internal tracking (mentioned in the results) or simply reflect the fact that Destiny is intended to have a 10 year over-arching story - so 9 or 10 xpacs.

Either way Bobby Kotick was putting Destiny forward as "one of the great IPs"; up there with GTA, CoD, WoW, Sims etc. Standard marketing basically, looking to let some of the glory attached to those games rub off on Destiny. Same reason celebrities are used to promote charities, open malls etc. It's a standard marketing promotion.

Whether it will ever be "the biggest" ... well we have a better idea come Christmas. 

His comments do suggest that Activision may have some sort of long term, first refusal type arrangement with Bungie as well.   

Destai

Elite Member

6/15/14 1:47:23 AM#6
Absolutely not. This game is good, could be great. Will it be better than Halo? Not even close.
  Destai

Elite Member

6/15/14 1:53:42 AM#7
Originally posted by gervaise1

^^^^^^

To be fair to the OP the title of the thread is the same as the title in the referenced article which is given as part of a statement made by Bobby Kotick. DMKano is right though to "question" it as it stands.

Looking at the expanded quote makes more sense: "We expect that Destiny will become the best-selling new video IP game in history".

This may reflect the "record setting" pre-orders based on Activision's internal tracking (mentioned in the results) or simply reflect the fact that Destiny is intended to have a 10 year over-arching story - so 9 or 10 xpacs.

Either way Bobby Kotick was putting Destiny forward as "one of the great IPs"; up there with GTA, CoD, WoW, Sims etc. Standard marketing basically, looking to let some of the glory attached to those games rub off on Destiny. Same reason celebrities are used to promote charities, open malls etc. It's a standard marketing promotion.

Whether it will ever be "the biggest" ... well we have a better idea come Christmas. 

His comments do suggest that Activision may have some sort of long term, first refusal type arrangement with Bungie as well.   

It's really an attempt for marketing to capture lightning - it's not going to happen if you force it. Release the game, tell people about it, but eventually you have to let the game speak for itself. If they came out and revealed all classes and zones, I'm sure people would get pretty excited. I think they're treading into some murky waters because they can't dispel the notion some people have of this being an MMO game. They have to manage that expectation. They're giving us a lot of think about it, and those ideas are inspirational but could ultimately lead to destructive expectations. I believe a good product markets itself. Let's see if this game can do that.

PAL-18

Apprentice Member

6/15/14 1:55:47 AM#8

Thats not even hype train anymore thats hype airplane.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
**On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

JOverlord

Apprentice Member

6/15/14 2:47:46 AM#9

Not even close. They are trying to market a borderlands game as if its an MMO, the MMO people know its not an MMO so they wont buy it, the non MMO fans will believe them and stay away from it. 

I think this game will be the biggest bust of the century. 

Cleverjack

Apprentice Member

6/15/14 3:21:05 AM#10
Originally posted by JOverlord

Not even close. They are trying to market a borderlands game as if its an MMO, the MMO people know its not an MMO so they wont buy it, the non MMO fans will believe them and stay away from it. 

I think this game will be the biggest bust of the century. 

ESO is the biggest bust of the century in my book, other than that I agree with you. The supposedly spent 500mil on this game and it doesn't even have a pc version, wtf is that about, and I've seen the gameplay, it looks fun but I don't see anything special about it. Other than the battlegrounds you can do everything destiny offers in borderlands. Irts just borderlands in space. I was interested in the game when they made it seem like it was an mmo, but now I know its just a multiplayer game.

strawhat0981

Advanced Member

I want an awesome sci-fi game that is a sandbox...give it to me!!!!

6/15/14 10:28:13 AM#11
I have been in the alpha over the last two days and I will say this, It is a really fun game that I will be buying no doubt.
  ThomasN7

Novice Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

6/15/14 10:38:55 AM#12
I think this will be a colossal flop.  It just looks so plain, boring and something we have played over and over again after seeing it in action at E3. The Division will be the mmo type game to play no matter what system you play it on.
  3-4thElf

Apprentice Member

6/15/14 10:45:25 AM#13

Bungie's good at what they do.

I'm not interested in any more FPS, even persistent world ones. If I can see something crazy that they can offer that I've not tired already then maybe I'll be part of that best selling number.

I've just not seen anything must have about this, but again I'm kind of tired of the genre as a whole.

a yo ho ho

crashburn162

Apprentice Member

Fuck with the best, Die Like The Rest!!!

6/15/14 10:47:14 AM#14
Only if they release it for PC otherwise no chance to be best selling game.

Fuck With The Best, Die Like The Rest!!!

Ludwik

Advanced Member

6/15/14 10:49:33 AM#15
Being the best selling new IP isn't really that big of an accomplishment, is it?

I mean the video game industry is growing exponentially every day. It would only make sense that a game released in 2014 with a massive marketing budget would sell more than a game released in say 2005.

I don't even know what the best selling new IP is now. Warcraft, Guild Wars, and Star Wars were all existing IPs before their MMOs. LoL/Dota2 are free games so obviously they don't qualify. So it has to beat.....Rust?

Yah, not much of an accomplishment.
  ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

6/15/14 10:53:09 AM#16
Originally posted by crashburn162
Only if they release it for PC otherwise no chance to be best selling game.

Tell that to GTA5

https://33.media.tumblr.com/262c40940b3181ade1001120dd379aaa/tumblr_nfrzn853rR1rz64nto6_r1_400.gif

Xthos

Advanced Member

6/15/14 11:02:05 AM#17
Of the two people were talking about a lot, I think the Division looks a lot better than Destiny myself.  Destiny looked kind of generic, but to be fair, I haven't watched anything since the initial hype, so they may have something new that looks much better.  It looked blah, so I didn't pay much attention afterwards.
  Ludwik

Advanced Member

6/15/14 11:03:12 AM#18
Did a little research:

Best selling new IP (overall)
Super Mario Bros - 40 million
Best selling new IP (PC only)
Starcraft - 11 million

Yah good luck hitting 11 million.
  Swids2010

Apprentice Member

Pay to Win. If it can be earned in game its not pay to win FACT

6/15/14 11:08:18 AM#19

Having watched some of the actual gameplay on twitch have come to realise this is nothing to get overly excited about just another generic fps. If you don't believe go watch some of the gameplay on twitch.

Edit: after submitting the above I had a thought why is this being discussed on this site it is not a MMORPG and will never be and if we are classing this as a MMORPG we going to start discussing every COD game that comes out too.

megarax

Advanced Member

6/15/14 11:12:04 AM#20
CoD: MW3 sold 27 million copies if you combine ps3/xbox sales.  So 11 million isn't unreachable.
2 Pages 1 2 » Search