Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | Firefall | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,955 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,376
Bungie | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 09/09/14)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Destiny Forum » General Discussion » FYI Destiny is NOT a MMO Shooter.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
88 posts found
  Zinzan

Advanced Member

3/17/13 2:10:12 PM#21

The Demonware guys said it's not a dedicated server game but it does have a co-op social aspect and it does have some kind of "world" which allows you to encounter and help other players if they are playing in the same region....take from that what you will, im not sure what to make of it.

From the available information it seems Destiny is going to be somewhere between and mmo and an fps but no one is sure exactly what this means and is further confused by the suggestion it will have some form of world system which sounds quite similar to an mmo.

So, is it an mmo, an mmorpg, an mmofps...who knows, it's all semantics really. Bottom line, it's Bungie so it's probably going to be good.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Kuinn

Advanced Member

3/17/13 4:27:04 PM#22

MMO is more an opinion than something set in stone, so as long as there will be at least some shared hub-areas this game will be MMO to some while it wont be MMO to others, regardless how the zoning and stuff like that works. Lobby games with separately loaded maps (BF3, CoD, etc) are lobby games and it should be pretty obvious...

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/25/13 5:02:08 PM#23

Does it even matter of how it is classified?

All i care is whether it is MP, and if it is fun. Whether it is a MMO is irelevant to me, and to decision of whether to buy.

Mystais

Novice Member

N/A

3/29/13 8:00:30 AM#24
Originally posted by Silverbarr

In essence Destiny is an MMORPG, after all it will have a massive amount of players, it will be multiplayer and it will be online. 

By your definition, Call of Duty is also an MMORPG, as stated by the OP.  

There needs to be a differentiation between a persistant world with 1000s of players and a much smaller non-persistant one.  In my opinion the 'massive' refers to the number of players possible in a single persistant game world at any given time.  

It does not acquire the 'massive' designation just because a lot of people play the game.  

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

Derros

Advanced Member

3/29/13 8:03:36 AM#25
developers are trying to distance themselves from the MMO term.  The term is starting to become toxic, and has been toxic to certain groups for a while now.
  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

3/29/13 8:03:42 AM#26
Originally posted by MMOExposed
Originally posted by Snakester95
In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.

But it's not a MMO.

Bungie says its not an mmo but its a shared world. Lets see how that works when it launches. Whether it has many people online or just a few, If its not a persistent world im out.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

BadSpock

Hard Core Member

Logic be damned!

3/29/13 8:28:33 AM#27

Online shared world with persistent characters w/ progression....

Class based mechanics (heavily hinted at in recent videa showing Titan, Warlock, Hunter "classes")

It blurs the line between "traditional" multiplayer and massively multiplayer.

Will it have offline play?

PMOTPS?

Persistent Online Multiplayer Third Person Shooter?

LOL whatever it doesn't matter.

MMO or not MMO, I'm happy MMORPG.com is covering.

Now Playing:
Looking Towards: Destiny

VancePants

Novice Member

3/29/13 11:36:46 AM#28
Originally posted by BadSpock

Class based mechanics (heavily hinted at in recent videa showing Titan, Warlock, Hunter "classes")

PMOTPS?

I agree 100%. You can talk about what it's not all you want - do you want it taken off the site? Does its presence offend you?

Personally, I'm all about supporting games which bend genres, that are part this and part that and part something else. If you're making something that doesn't fit into that same cookie cutter categorization, you're trying something new, and innovation is always good. I really hope this game ends up being cool. 

:D

Fdzzaigl

Elite Member

6/12/13 4:18:36 AM#29

I think it's important to classify it right. Not that I'm against it being here or whatever, but just to make sure you get the right idea about it.

I still thought it was gonna be a full fledged MMO when I saw that latest gameplay footage, but had real big trouble picturing how that works in an open world (things like sending a probe flying to light up a place then a scripted event etc.) unless everything is public events on a loop.

Being a shared world shooter I can definitely picture it better, though I still don't get how the events that they classified as public are supposed to work.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

GwapoJosh

Advanced Member

6/12/13 4:26:37 AM#30
Originally posted by BadSpock

PMOTPS?

I agree Mr. Spock.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

leoo88556

Novice Member

6/18/13 6:40:16 PM#31

Judging from the E3 gameplay demo and interviews, I think it's safe to say that it's...

Okay, I'm not that stupid XD

Obviously they're still optimizing their server capacity and adjusting the size of the maps(but there're vehicles in the game so it's likely not gonna be too small), so it's hard to tell if there're gonna be hundreds of people in the same area or not, but yeah they DID say there will be instances and PUBLIC AREAS. In these public areas you'll see strangers with name tags running around doing stuff that you might not care about, or maybe killing world bosses with you from time to time. They also mentioned sort of a hub area(city) that you can meet with people in 3rd person PoV, also there's a "fire team" system at work which you'll (have to?) join before you go into a map or a pvp match.

It's definitely gonna be more "MMOish" than CoD, BF and whatever... but will Destiny be like Defiance, Firefall or PS2? Personally I really doubt it. Just look at the lighting, particle effects and the general graphics!! It's too beautiful to be a MMO in the modern sense... Of course I wish Bungie can prove me wrong :)

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

6/18/13 6:43:18 PM#32
In the gameplay walkthrough they showed a public event with a bunch of players. So why have public events if it wont have many players in open world environments?
  Xzen

Apprentice Member

A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.
- Seneca

6/18/13 6:52:28 PM#33
Doesn't matter. If it didn't have it's own forum everyone would just be talking about it in general gaming because it's that awesome.
  kjemper

Advanced Member

7/30/13 3:43:17 PM#34

So Destiny will be based in an open online persistent world in which you will have the opportunity to run into random players, but it is not an MMO?  We will have multiple races, factions, and skill trees.  So they will make use of instancing.  So it will not have specific "servers" or "realms" separating characters.  Sounds like somewhere between Defiance which makes use of multiple instances of the same world and Guild Wars 1 & 2.  These are classified as MMOs, are they not?  

While Bungie wants to be adamant about claiming Destiny is not an MMO, they have provided no reason it is not except by simply saying it is not an MMO.  Yet all the information they have released indicates it has several trademarks of what make the average player think of when they hear a game is an MMO.  It seems to me Bungie is only trying to separate themselves from all the "flops" the MMO genre has been so unfortunate to witness.  Among these is being declared the "WoW killer" or "WoW clone" aside from horrible launches in which hype and promises did not meet expectations like we saw in Final Fantasy XIV, Neverwinter Nights, Vanguard, etc....  On top of these messes are the dreaded micro transaction, pay to win, and expectations of some that current MMOs should be free and you really have one messy genre.

I can't blame Bungie for trying to distance their game from the MMO genre, but when all the information they have released to date has all the hallmarks any average player associates with an MMORPG/FPS it is hard to establish it is not an MMO.  What is the old saying?  If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it must be a....  So until Bungie provides information to make people see the game as anything other than an MMO, the media and consumers will continue to call it an MMO, because that is what genre it resembles.  

Just my 2 cents.

Betaguy

Elite Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

7/30/13 3:45:33 PM#35
Originally posted by Snakester95
In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.

But it's not a MMO.

I disagree, I feel it is... just saying

jinxxed0

Advanced Member

1/02/14 4:28:36 AM#36

ITT: PEople don't know what MMOs are.

This game isn't an MMO. The Massive part in MMO refers to the massive amount of players there are in a single instance of the game playing together, NOT the size of the world. It's why games like Diabloe 2 and 3 are NOT MMOs. It's why GTA online is NOT an MMO. Come on people. You can't just make up your own logic and change the definition of something like that. Online games can have plenty of MMO themes or tendencies, but they still aren't MMOs just  because of certain aspects. 

Mathadar

Novice Member

1/06/14 12:02:06 AM#37

Just a quick search but multiple article like this have been posted about the game. http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/destiny-match-making-public-areas-and-social-interaction-discussed-by-bungie/. Bungie wants its game to be called a fps first and foremost, but at the end of the day most people who write an article about the game pretty much state that it does have more in common with an MMO than not.

Sorry to break your heart OP but I'm pretty sure you will look back on this statement and kick yourself. Unless it is a troll post then you might look back on you life and kick yourself.

Krighton

Apprentice Member

1/16/14 11:32:08 AM#38
Such a beautiful game, another potential genre changer, destroyed and limited by the confines of a silly console. It could be an MMO. It should have been an MMO. When they all meet and decide how to *Port* it to the PC, it'll be worse than Defiance, less of a game, all in the name of money.
  lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

1/16/14 11:46:05 AM#39

Originally posted by Snakester95 In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.
But it's not a MMO.

What, exactly, does that even mean? "Shared world shooter"?

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

Maquiame

Hard Core Member

Power without perception is spiritually useless and of no true value

1/16/14 11:49:34 AM#40
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Snakester95 In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.
But it's not a MMO.

What, exactly, does that even mean? "Shared world shooter"?

It means its an mmo. Just watch the videos people with random folk jumping in random world events.

They even have a frigging magic class.....

Really? Come on...

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search