Trending Games | Landmark | Guild Wars 2 | Villagers and Heroes | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,230 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,065
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Summary of Mark's live chat

5 posts found
  meddyck

Advanced Member

OP  2/15/13 6:57:54 AM#1

This was posted on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/18j37h/quick_dirty_summary_of_mark_jacobs_mmorpgcom/

A few things concern me:

• Specialize on the fun aspects of RvR, not centered around "kill count". Killing IS the fun aspect of RvR for many of us. I worry that if merely taking keeps etc. is what the game rewards that it will create the same perverse incentives we saw in games such as WAR that made it more efficient for players to avoid fighting each other.
  • No realm ranks but there will be progression and it will be based on various RvR-centric activities. Obviously we need more details, but realm points, realm titles, realm ranks, and realm abilities were at the core of the infinite or at least very long system of character progression that made it fun to play the same character in DAOC for years. The more you played, the more powerful your character grew. That made it worthwhile to login even when you only had time to roam around a bridge for 30 minutes or to try to defend a keep when hopelessly outnumbered because the realm points you earned killing the attackers advanced you towards your next ability.

Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

SyrixII

Novice Member

2/15/13 9:10:39 AM#2
Originally posted by meddyck

This was posted on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/18j37h/quick_dirty_summary_of_mark_jacobs_mmorpgcom/

A few things concern me:

• Specialize on the fun aspects of RvR, not centered around "kill count". Killing IS the fun aspect of RvR for many of us. I worry that if merely taking keeps etc. is what the game rewards that it will create the same perverse incentives we saw in games such as WAR that made it more efficient for players to avoid fighting each other.
  • No realm ranks but there will be progression and it will be based on various RvR-centric activities. Obviously we need more details, but realm points, realm titles, realm ranks, and realm abilities were at the core of the infinite or at least very long system of character progression that made it fun to play the same character in DAOC for years. The more you played, the more powerful your character grew. That made it worthwhile to login even when you only had time to roam around a bridge for 30 minutes or to try to defend a keep when hopelessly outnumbered because the realm points you earned killing the attackers advanced you towards your next ability.

I think the idea is to have people killing each other while they are working for other RvR goals ("system driven"). Sure, there will probably be plenty of opportunity to just roam and kill other players without focusing on the fight, but by doing so, you would be helping the ones that are focusing on the objectives by eliminating the reinforcements for the other side. I would think there will be a need for both play styles. Besides... It's still all about beating down some vikings and tree huggers. :)

As for progression, just sit tight and we'll see. It sounds like it will be similar to previous systems we have seen before. Everything in this game doesn't have to be a complete 180 from the existing market. Some things just work and this is one system that may not be very different in the end. We'll just have to wait and see.

Lore84

Novice Member

2/15/13 9:15:55 AM#3

I do agree to an extent - I really hope we do see a system that will reward you sticking to the same character long term rather than making an alt army :D Alts are fun...but one of the great things to be taken from DAOC's implementation of RVR was that with the realm point system and realm titles, it really paid off to become great at playing your main. Heres to hoping....

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

skyexile

Novice Member

2/15/13 10:25:16 AM#4

Yea agree with both your points, it sucked in WAR that BO PVE farmers got more points than PvPer's

I hope he has the second one well thought out on what those goals and progressions are.

SKYeXile
TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

iamthekiller

Novice Member

2/15/13 3:59:44 PM#5
I think the only people kickstarting this game are Mark "The Hack" Jacobs nuthuggers...seriously why would anyone spend a dime on a obviously failure? How many times does this guy have to fail before you will stop burying your face in his taint every time he says a word?