Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,638,949 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,073,597
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Graphics: Realistic vs. Stylized

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
54 posts found
  shiner421

Advanced Member

3/27/13 10:59:25 AM#41

Personally, I spent as much money as I could afford building ym gaming rig, therefore any games I choose to play MUST have graphics on par with Gw2 At The VERY least.

I agree, I absolutely cannot stand cell shaded graphics, I refuse to play games that use that form of graphics, they are so UGLY! I outgrew cartoons 30 years ago, im not going to play any games that look like cartoons to me.

I do not care about low end machines and making a game run on them. I understand why its done, obviously, but I have always been a believer that you can have MMO's with graphics on par with Crysis 3 and have low end machines playable, just make it so that you can scale down the graphics options far enough for low end machines. Then everyone egts what they want.

If a publisher truly wants the best possible game they can make, then this is the route they should take on the graphics issue. I work in the IT / video game industry and have some idea of what it takes to publish a game, so I wont hold my breath lol.

This is just one mans opinion.

Oldskoo

Novice Member

3/27/13 10:59:52 AM#42
Originally posted by MasahikoKobe
Anything NOT cel-shaded

I agree with this.

They have to look modern as well. I lean towards realistic but, as most here agree, as long as the game runs and, I will add, I can actually see my enemies on the screen I think that would be a step in the right direction. 

shiner421

Advanced Member

3/27/13 11:01:12 AM#43
Originally posted by Belgarrth

I ask you all this question!

when you are out in the heat of battle! How much do you care about the sweet graphics? 

I can tell you now, you will not care at all! You will care if it effects how smoothly the battles run and how it effect the amount of people you can smash into the ground like the peasants they are! 

Graphics are nice when I have the time to admire them. However, when I am killing people, all I admire is the kill spam!

In my case you are wrong. I like the pretty particle effects, I like the fancy shaders, etc. Not saying I like having graphics completely cloud my view during combat, but yes I do care. A great deal actually.

Vargur

Apprentice Member

3/27/13 11:49:53 AM#44
I hope for realistic, but not at the expense of performance. It should be possible to make the game look realistic without going nuts over details. DAoC graphics would work fine for me, but if it looks cartoonish ala WoW/WAR then I'll pass.
  User Deleted
3/27/13 11:59:38 AM#45
Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo

I have always been a fan of the tabletop Warhammer universe and so I am bias to that style.  Warcraft (the first RTS game) was initally going to be a game set in the Warhammer world, but later the Warhammer people backed out.  Blizzard decided to press, even with the Warhammer-styled graphics and well the rest is history.  It always makes me sad whenever people say WAR looked like WoW, but in fact it was the exact opposite!  I could do a similar comparsion with StarCraft, but you get the point.

Long story short, I enjoy the high-fantasy look that Warhammer has, but I also like the hybrid of the two, like in Skyrim.  I never had the problem with DAoC's graphics, but I know some people, that's all they care about.  IMHO, I am more interested in the gameplay, than pretty graphics.

Agree with you, but the nerd in me needs to make a correction: Dune 2 is generally regarded as the first RTS game. It was released in 1992, whereas Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was released in 1994.

RIP Westwood Studios :(

waynejr2

Advanced Member

RIP City of Heroes!

3/27/13 2:01:26 PM#46
Originally posted by grvmpybear
Serious stylized graphics. Nothing cartoony.

Is that your way of saying realistic stylized?

sweetdigs

Advanced Member

3/27/13 2:06:47 PM#47
As long as the graphics look decent (doesn't need to be great), I don't care about the style.  I favor performance over graphics, so my vote is for whatever allows the most players on screen at one time.
  Stiler

Elite Member

3/27/13 3:23:50 PM#48
Originally posted by sweetdigs
As long as the graphics look decent (doesn't need to be great), I don't care about the style.  I favor performance over graphics, so my vote is for whatever allows the most players on screen at one time.

In that case everyone will just be wireframe models

waynejr2

Advanced Member

RIP City of Heroes!

3/27/13 8:20:48 PM#49
Originally posted by Stiler
Originally posted by sweetdigs

In that case everyone will just be wireframe models

I would play an mmorpg with only wireframe graphics.

Tinea

Advanced Member

3/27/13 8:30:37 PM#50

As long as stylized doesn't mean wildly oversized weapons, then I say do what works best for a balance between visuals and performance.

Don't make the game the ugliest thing on the planet, but I don't need to zoom in on your character's face and see each imperfection.

AwDiddums

Advanced Member

8/31/13 11:21:10 AM#51
Originally posted by shiner421
Originally posted by Belgarrth

I ask you all this question!

when you are out in the heat of battle! How much do you care about the sweet graphics? 

I can tell you now, you will not care at all! You will care if it effects how smoothly the battles run and how it effect the amount of people you can smash into the ground like the peasants they are! 

Graphics are nice when I have the time to admire them. However, when I am killing people, all I admire is the kill spam!

In my case you are wrong. I like the pretty particle effects, I like the fancy shaders, etc. Not saying I like having graphics completely cloud my view during combat, but yes I do care. A great deal actually.

Well your in luck then for the engine will have particle effects and fancy shaders and all the other latest graphical bells and whistles you can squeeze out of a graphics card, just because the graphics have a style you or many others may not agree about it certainly does not mean it won't be without shaders/particles/lighgting effects etc etc.

User Deleted
8/31/13 11:28:17 AM#52

What...what...what?!?

The CU team wrote another term paper? Color me shocked.

Great, gameplay will trump graphics. I'll believe it when they actually deliver something.

Confidence 0, Skepticism 1

dwarfkinglords

Novice Member

9/01/13 12:39:42 PM#53

lets be honest the game is probably gonna be a pretty ugly game... like most western games

it wont look anywhere as good as black desert or bless.. or even final fantasy

FlyinDutchman87

Advanced Member

9/13/13 12:46:10 PM#54
Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

lets be honest the game is probably gonna be a pretty ugly game... like most western games

it wont look anywhere as good as black desert or bless.. or even final fantasy

Ugly has it's place. It's gives the game some grit. Give me ugly over those over-pretty east games anyday.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search