Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | EverQuest | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,229 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,275,747
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » CLASSES/PROFESSIONS you want in CU

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
70 posts found
  Hokibukisa

Novice Member

5/21/13 7:55:53 PM#61

Wow I'm starting to hate this forum.

A pet does not effect server load. Players effect server load.

Pets are just another object rendered by the client.

I wish people would just leave suggestions for what they want and let the people that actually understand game performance worry about the game's performance. But fuck it, we argue about everything here. Lets make it turn based to save on bandwidth.

TigsKC

Novice Member

5/21/13 8:21:11 PM#62
Originally posted by Hokibukisa

I wish people would just leave suggestions for what they want and let the people that actually understand game performance worry about the game's performance. But fuck it, we argue about everything here. Lets make it turn based to save on bandwidth.

This needs to end here.

The design philosophy vis-a-vis pets (that you criticized, I described and Taldier clearly explained) represents Mark Jacobs' take on the subject.  Mark indicated there would not be pets at launch based on this philosophy.  I dare say he knows a fair bit more about game design and performance than you, my ill-informed friend.

Hersaint

Novice Member

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. Albert Einstein(1879 - 1955)

5/21/13 8:36:34 PM#63

Shadowbane's Prelate - Healing, defense and buffs. I think it was a stamina buff if I remember correctly. I chose dwarf to be all tough and drunk.

And they gave me a clay golem to command! Gotta love the pets... right?

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

5/21/13 11:46:06 PM#64

Pets are extra models for the client to render, which means reduced framerate. That's CSE's main argument for not having pet classes at launch.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

Hokibukisa

Novice Member

5/22/13 12:00:06 AM#65
Originally posted by TigsKC

This needs to end here.

The design philosophy via-a-vis pets (that you criticized, I described and Taldier clearly explained) represents Mark Jacobs' take on the subject.  Mark indicated there would not be pets at launch based on this philosophy.  I dare say he knows a fair bit more about game design and performance than you, my ill-informed friend.

If this is true, and Andrew Meggs is spending his time to make a proprietary game engine specifically for rendering thousands of models on screen at the same time, making it THE MMO capable of handling the most models, making it an engine that could handle more pets than any other MMO.

If Mr. Meggs thinks his engine can't handle 1 class per realm having a pet, then I'll shut up. Do I think MJ knows anything about game engines? I'm willing to be he knows about 1/100th as much as Andrew.

So don't call me ill informed unless you're secretly him. And yes it does need to end here. Leave a suggestion for classes you want to see and stop pretending you know anything about technology.

emperorwings

Hard Core Member

5/22/13 12:01:14 AM#66
Cleaner: great for taking care of the trash. High utility / hybrid class. Hah!

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

eindinbloch

Hard Core Member

5/22/13 12:09:01 AM#67

My favorite classes of all time in any game were the DAoC Theurgist, Necromancer, Bonedancer, Animist, Friar, Savage, Minstrel.  Although a class that was melee but could tame pets like in the original SWG would be great.  I also liked the witch doctor from Diablo 3 mainly because it was cool to throw jars of spiders.

I know they won't have pet classes at launch, so I'll probably wait to play till they get their act together and put them in the game.

Mainly just give classes that are interesting, not just classes that fit a cookie cutter build like WoW.  I don't want to just be the Tank/Dps/Healer.  I want my class to have character.

Delavega86

Novice Member

5/22/13 1:26:43 AM#68
Originally posted by Ulorik

Do we really NEED classes?

A skill distribution system a la Asheron's Call or (non-mmo example) Skyrim would be much more appealing to me.

Build your own character

noooooooooooooooooooooo :O

take a look at GW2! WvW is a mess. its chaos. because of two things.

1. no enemy and ally collision. (leading to blob-trains steamrolling everything. you know, 50 people squished in one square meter. no use for choke points, gates, tanks... etc.)

2. no distinct roles. (leading to chaotic combat, where its pretty much everyone for themselves, everyone is self-sufficient, which doesnt promote cooperation)

Tumblebutz

Novice Member

5/22/13 1:53:06 AM#69
Originally posted by TigsKC

This needs to end here.

The design philosophy via-a-vis pets (that you criticized, I described and Taldier clearly explained) represents Mark Jacobs' take on the subject.  Mark indicated there would not be pets at launch based on this philosophy.  I dare say he knows a fair bit more about game design and performance than you, my ill-informed friend.

If this is true, and Andrew Meggs is spending his time to make a proprietary game engine specifically for rendering thousands of models on screen at the same time, making it THE MMO capable of handling the most models, making it an engine that could handle more pets than any other MMO.

If Mr. Meggs thinks his engine can't handle 1 class per realm having a pet, then I'll shut up. Do I think MJ knows anything about game engines? I'm willing to be he knows about 1/100th as much as Andrew.

So don't call me ill informed unless you're secretly him. And yes it does need to end here. Leave a suggestion for classes you want to see and stop pretending you know anything about technology.

I think the "ill informed" reference was not about your knowledge of programming, but about your knowledge of what MJ has publicly stated... which is that there will be no pets or pet classes specifically to reduce lag and keep FPS high. 

Keeping that in mind, I hope the discussion of pets and pet classes is now concluded.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

MikeJezZ

Novice Member

Only in death, does duty end.

5/23/13 2:49:17 AM#70

A Rogue (Yes, the true rogue class.)

A Cleric like the one in Rift.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search