Trending Games | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Landmark | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EVE Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,366 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,700
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Open Tech Demo - #2

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
35 posts found
  binskki

Novice Member

"I just die so fast it's hard to position myself. :)"

4/27/13 1:37:03 PM#21

LOL...I am mystified at all the people that think this is the game, rather than a proof-of-concept engine/networking demo which utilizes proof-of-concept first-generation character models (for only 2 of the eventual races)!     Go figure. :)P

I  really can't understand how anyone could possibly think that CSE are claiming that this is some sort of version of the actual game....maybe people are unfamiliar with different stages of software development, or the design stages of any project, software or otherwise?

To my eye, what this demo demonstrates is a heck of a lot of successful coding in a very short amount of time.  It also demonstrates very clearly the CSE team's commitment to building the meat of the game from the ground up ( rather than wasting time and money on cheap, flashy cinematics that have little to do with any kind of finished gameplay) so that the actual game will be able to run like a bloody Ferrari.  :)

Thanks for posting the high-res screenies, as well, so that people can get a sense of the level of detail in 12K triangle models "in-game"  - very helpful, since the livestream obviously goes out at a much lower resolution.

Speely

Novice Member

4/27/13 1:46:37 PM#22
Thank you very much for posting this. It's amazing what CSE has been able to do with so little time.

I think a lot of people don't realize that most developers don't show ANYTHING at this early stage of development, and that what CSE has achieved so swiftly is not only impressive but indicative of the innovations the engine will see once funded and given a couple years. CSE are like ninjas.

Again, thank you so much :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PerfArt

ArcherBullseye

Novice Member

OP  4/27/13 5:07:13 PM#23
Thanks guys,  Hopefully I will get a chance to do some more next client update as well.

Edany

Novice Member

4/27/13 7:37:46 PM#24

I got to be in the test myself, and it was amazing to me that I had 120 other individually rendered players on my screen with flames and AoE effects all running around and attacking each other with no lag. 

My FPS didn't drop below 150 even with the maximum number of people on the server. For three weeks into a custom engine, its mind blowing.

I'm thankful that CSE gives their backers credit for 1) being able to read and comprehend the difference between a demo of engine code at work and a fulling functioning game two years from now. and 2) Being open, honest, and extremely communicative.

Loved it.

ArcherBullseye

Novice Member

OP  4/27/13 8:26:44 PM#25

It is up right now with a small change to the client. 

http://camelotunchained.com/en/engineeringtest/

jmcdermottuk

Advanced Member

4/27/13 8:34:10 PM#26
Originally posted by Fusion
Originally posted by expresso
This is exactly what I expect this game to look and play like in 2 years time.  The only difference is the dev team are all driving fancy new cars bought with your KS money.

Here here.

Game at that state... i wouldn't expect to see this game out before 2017-18 the earliest

If it's out in 2 years, i feel sad for those invested in it.

Did you know that DAoC was developed in just 18 months for the whopping price of $2.5 million? And that included having to buy the server hardware because Mythic couldn't get a lease on the servers. They had no credit rating because they'd never borrowed before.

Just goes to show you don't need to spend $50 million and 5 years developing a good game. Or even a great one!

kikoodutroa8

Apprentice Member

4/27/13 8:39:00 PM#27
That video reminds me of Powermonger on atari st/amiga.
  Tinybina

Advanced Member

4/28/13 12:56:44 AM#28

Where do you people come from and what are you smoking.

That was absolutly horrible....

This is like watching a trainwreck from miles away, I need some popcorn.

------------------------------
You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

xion12121

Novice Member

4/28/13 2:23:51 AM#29
This is exactly what I expect this game to look and play like in 2 years time.  The only difference is the dev team are all driving fancy new cars bought with your KS money.

Here here.

Game at that state... i wouldn't expect to see this game out before 2017-18 the earliest

I agree. MMO's take longer than 2 years to develop! Especially with the small team they have! As you saw they had a playable demo. But they have to spend years building the world, building the scenery, building the characters, poslishing, balancing the characters, putting out npcs, structures. MMO's don't get made in 2 years time, especially with a team of only a few people.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

Siug

Hard Core Member

4/28/13 3:29:17 AM#30
Originally posted by xion12121

Here here.

MMO's don't get made in 2 years time, especially with a team of only a few people.

Cryptic can make an MMO in 2 years.  

faxnadu

Novice Member

4/28/13 3:43:55 AM#31
Originally posted by grogstorm
Was very fun.  The characters looked great and movement was fluid.

yea i get the part where you say " fun " if you havent done these things alot and was enthrilled by excitment BUT , nothing was fluid man, characters dont look great atleast on that video.

give the game 4 years time to mature and the engine needs lot of work aswell. my opinion. im sure you all disgree cause you love the title but hey thats life.

Danwarr

Novice Member

"Prepare for Titanfall."

4/28/13 11:44:35 AM#32
Originally posted by Piiritus
Originally posted by xion12121

Here here.

MMO's don't get made in 2 years time, especially with a team of only a few people.

Cryptic can make an MMO in 2 years.  

And Mythic developed DAoC in 18 months with $2.5M. However they did have a team of 25 full-time developers

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
Playing: ESO,DCUO
Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

NegativeX

Novice Member

4/28/13 1:08:42 PM#33
Mark has already stated if/when this funds they will be hiring a lot more people to the team.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

Arbroath

Novice Member

4/28/13 8:35:52 PM#34
I feel sorry for those of you with no hope or faith. It must be a dark and shallow existance with nothing to look forward to other than attempting to bring everyone else into the shadows

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

Tuktz

Novice Member

4/28/13 9:42:52 PM#35

Sweet. It's amazing to me that after only a month of designing a new engine, they can do what a dozen triple AAA budget big time mmo's can't do. Most of them could NEVER handle that many people in one place at one time.

Imagine with 2 years time to work on it / flesh it out. =)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

2 Pages « 1 2 Search