Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Darkest Dungeon | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,770,244 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,023
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Let's stop referring to "stealth"...

19 posts found
  Tumblebutz

Novice Member

OP  4/26/13 6:49:11 PM#1

...and instead call Veilwalkers "sneaks" or some other moniker.

I think a lot of people are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, here.  From what I've heard and read (and I could be wrong, of course) MJ's idea(r) for "stealth" really isn't stealth, in the traditional MMO sense.  I think he's trying to desing a class that operates LIKE stealthers, but the stealth mechanic isn't what we've come to know as stealth (i.e. vanishing, becoming invisible, hiding, etc.)  Btw, I think this is a good strategy on MJ's part as it eliminates the classic complaints like "how can he disappear right in front of me?" and "it's not hiding, it's invisibility!" etc.  Now, those arguments are laid to rest.

So, is the net effect the same as stealth?  For the most part, yes.  But keep in mind MJ is trying a complete departure from the traditional stealth class and this proposal seems to do just that.  Let's try and view it as a NEW Archetype and not try to mash it into the classic rogue/assassin mold.

My 2cp.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

4/26/13 7:05:26 PM#2

Veil Walking or Walkin or Bagginsing or Frodoing or just Veiling

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

meddyck

Hard Core Member

4/26/13 7:05:59 PM#3
Can other classes see them while they are in the Veil? No. So they are stealthers. No need to invent new words for the same thing.

Camelot Unchained Founder
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

bleedz

Novice Member

4/26/13 7:10:07 PM#4
Changing the name of the condition, doesn't change the condition.Murica?
  User Deleted
4/26/13 7:10:41 PM#5
bunny hoping is sometimes more effective than stealth
  Tumblebutz

Novice Member

OP  4/26/13 7:29:07 PM#6
Originally posted by meddyck
Can other classes see them while they are in the Veil? No. So they are stealthers. No need to invent new words for the same thing.

You've completely missed the point, I see.  It's not about the words, it's about the overall concept of the class.  The class won't play like a traditional stealther.  But thank you for proving my point so eloquently.

RED IS DEAD!

meddyck

Hard Core Member

4/26/13 7:30:52 PM#7
Originally posted by Tumblebutz

You've completely missed the point, I see.  It's not about the words, it's about the overall concept of the class.  The class won't play like a traditional stealther.  But thank you for proving my point so eloquently.

My minstrel in DAOC didn't play like an assassin either. It was still a stealther.

DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

Tumblebutz

Novice Member

OP  4/26/13 7:34:49 PM#8

My minstrel in DAOC didn't play like an assassin either. It was still a stealther.

Yes, you continue to make my point very well, thank you.

RED IS DEAD!

BowbowDAoC

Novice Member

4/26/13 7:39:39 PM#9

Shifters...

or as mentionned, Veil Walkers

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
Thurka on WAR

meddyck

Hard Core Member

4/26/13 7:57:36 PM#10

We'll have to agree to disagree. The way Mark describes the Veil mechanic used by the Veilwalker sounds essentially the same as "stealth" to me with obviously a few unique add ons.

Tumblebutz

Novice Member

OP  4/26/13 8:48:12 PM#11

We'll have to agree to disagree. The way Mark describes the Veil mechanic used by the Veilwalker sounds essentially the same as "stealth" to me with obviously a few unique add ons.

*sigh*  Yes, Meddyck, I agree with you.  The STEALTH MECHANIC is the same.  But the CLASS ARCHETYPE is different... which is my point.  People are trying to view the Veilwalker as the traditional Rogue-type class... which it clearly is NOT.

RED IS DEAD!

Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

4/26/13 9:05:32 PM#12

I always liked Nazguls.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

waynejr2

Hard Core Member

RIP City of Heroes!

4/26/13 10:38:23 PM#13

YOU MISSED THE POINT.  MJ CREATED THIS CONCEPT AS THE STEALTH CONCEPT FOR THE GAME.  You are nobody in regards to this game creation concept.  YOU DON"T GET TO NAME IT.  STEALTH is the concept of this.

grogstorm

Advanced Member

If it ain't broke, dont fix it!

4/26/13 10:41:40 PM#14
Phase shifting would be a better term.

Grog

Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

4/26/13 10:55:51 PM#15

So "Walkers" it is. I just like the waking dead refference.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

User Deleted
4/26/13 10:58:15 PM#16

...and instead call Veilwalkers "sneaks" or some other moniker.

I think a lot of people are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, here.  From what I've heard and read (and I could be wrong, of course) MJ's idea(r) for "stealth" really isn't stealth, in the traditional MMO sense.  I think he's trying to desing a class that operates LIKE stealthers, but the stealth mechanic isn't what we've come to know as stealth (i.e. vanishing, becoming invisible, hiding, etc.)  Btw, I think this is a good strategy on MJ's part as it eliminates the classic complaints like "how can he disappear right in front of me?" and "it's not hiding, it's invisibility!" etc.  Now, those arguments are laid to rest.

So, is the net effect the same as stealth?  For the most part, yes.  But keep in mind MJ is trying a complete departure from the traditional stealth class and this proposal seems to do just that.  Let's try and view it as a NEW Archetype and not try to mash it into the classic rogue/assassin mold.

My 2cp.

Its still stealth, just with added risk vs reward and counter classing. Lets just call a spade a spade shall we?

MyownGod

Advanced Member

4/26/13 11:03:41 PM#17

I think that alot of people can call it the fuck they want.

p.s I think Wanking is a better call, just sit around or lay down and have a multiple orgasm is better than stealthing.

Kost

Newshound

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

4/26/13 11:06:05 PM#18
Originally posted by Tierless

Veil Walking or Walkin or Bagginsing or Frodoing or just Veiling

My vote would definitely be for Bagginsing.

Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

4/27/13 2:10:56 AM#19
This is some of the most ridiculous fighting I've witnessed on these forums
It's a handicap version of stealth
Call it whatever you want to lure your friends to the game, doesn't change what it is ... Stupid adaptation to attempt to appease everyone ( which I thought he wasn't ever going to try to do ... So confused with some of the updates these days )
I swear to god if I see one more bull shit about building with 5 days to go and nothing concrete about combat interaction, end goals, rfuckingvr... Then I will be endlessly disappointed

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked