Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | WildStar | EverQuest

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,904,970 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,291,674
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Crafting Question MJ

17 posts found
  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2440

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

 
OP  3/28/13 4:19:47 PM#1

When gathering for materials for crafting you've mentioned we would be able to take old equipment and turn them into materials for crafting new items.

My question is...to gather materials on our own..will it be similar to how gathering was in Ultima Online where if we wanted to mine, we had to find mines to mine different kinds of ores for our plate/chainmail, and skin animals and dragons and other mobs for the leather, the wood for bows and craftable items for housing such as chairs/tables etc. came from chopping down trees, and so on and so forth....OR will it be similar to DAOC crafting gathering, or will it be simplified as it is in WoW and GW2,  you just muddle around looking for ores/herbs etc.?

Of course I'd prefer something similar to UO, or DAOC,  but I will be fine either way, just curious.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  sweetdigs

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/11/03
Posts: 199

3/28/13 4:24:36 PM#2

I'm not Mark, but given what he has outlined for the scope of crafting in this game, you can rest assured that the harvesting/gathering of resources won't be as limited as it was in WoW and similar themepark games.  Sandbox games, like CU, tend to have much more involved gathering activities, whether it be planting down structures to harvest materials from a certain resource area, manually chopping down trees or gathering stone from various nodes (hopefully there will be different rarities), or salvaging old equipment to recover some of the materials that went into its construction.

I am guessing that with RvR being the focus of the game, and crafting being an integral aspect of the RvR in CU, you can expect to be pretty happy with where this goes.

  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2440

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

 
OP  3/28/13 4:27:35 PM#3
Originally posted by sweetdigs

I'm not Mark, but given what he has outlined for the scope of crafting in this game, you can rest assured that the harvesting/gathering of resources won't be as limited as it was in WoW and similar themepark games.  Sandbox games, like CU, tend to have much more involved gathering activities, whether it be planting down structures to harvest materials from a certain resource area, manually chopping down trees or gathering stone from various nodes (hopefully there will be different rarities), or salvaging old equipment to recover some of the materials that went into its construction.

I am guessing that with RvR being the focus of the game, and crafting being an integral aspect of the RvR in CU, you can expect to be pretty happy with where this goes.

That's what I'm hoping for, I really like going out and chililng for a bit gathering materials to make items so that I can sell them. I have myself, my hubby, my son, and my mom (who is almost 59 now, and plays mmo's still since UO, yah, she's awesome)...I have to supply all of us with mats and equipment and money to afford all we need since they can't stand to do gathering and crafting, lol I just enjoyed UO style crafting/gathering and even DAOC where I'd go into a dungeon or Darkness falls and solo a bit for money and stuff to break down for mats.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  Speely

Novice Member

Joined: 2/16/13
Posts: 864

3/28/13 4:31:12 PM#4
What sweetdigs said. I am thinking that resource gathering is going to be a big part of providing real context to RvR.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PerfArt

  RealLifeGobbo

Novice Member

Joined: 3/20/13
Posts: 218

3/28/13 4:34:43 PM#5

I agree with all of you! I hope it is like this, but I fear the big alliances may hoard some of the veins.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

  Speely

Novice Member

Joined: 2/16/13
Posts: 864

3/28/13 4:45:02 PM#6
Let them hoard. More incentive to organize concerted efforts to break them. Real rvr incentive. Heroic victories. Reputations made and stories told. Do want.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PerfArt

  RealLifeGobbo

Novice Member

Joined: 3/20/13
Posts: 218

3/28/13 4:46:00 PM#7


Originally posted by PerfArt
Let them hoard. More incentive to organize concerted efforts to break them. Real rvr incentive. Heroic victories. Reputations made and stories told. Do want.

You have a valid point. It could make for some epic battles!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

  Speely

Novice Member

Joined: 2/16/13
Posts: 864

3/28/13 4:48:51 PM#8
Hell yeah! :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PerfArt

  sweetdigs

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/11/03
Posts: 199

3/28/13 5:03:25 PM#9
This is why being a game designer, particularly one that works in the economic and crafting aspects of a game, would be so dang much fun.  Too bad it pays so poorly.  lol.
  Qallidexz

Novice Member

Joined: 5/24/12
Posts: 269

3/28/13 5:08:24 PM#10

Guys, seriously, Stop calling out to MJ... Him answering your questions here is a privleage not a right.

  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2440

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

 
OP  3/28/13 5:54:41 PM#11
Originally posted by Qallidexz

Guys, seriously, Stop calling out to MJ... Him answering your questions here is a privleage not a right.

No ones demanding anything, look who woke up on the wrong side today, yeesh. I could see if someone was being rude but asking a question, nothing wrong with that.  Troll somewhere else.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  gylnne

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/07
Posts: 324

3/28/13 8:52:17 PM#12
Originally posted by Tayah
Originally posted by Qallidexz

Guys, seriously, Stop calling out to MJ... Him answering your questions here is a privleage not a right.

No ones demanding anything, look who woke up on the wrong side today, yeesh. I could see if someone was being rude but asking a question, nothing wrong with that.  Troll somewhere else.

Asking a question about game design in  a forum where the dev communicates regularly just makes sense.

And as to someone being demanding you Qallidexz fit the description perfectly.:P

  Mortify

Novice Member

Joined: 3/17/13
Posts: 96

3/29/13 7:46:30 AM#13
Originally posted by Tayah

That's what I'm hoping for, I really like going out and chililng for a bit gathering materials to make items so that I can sell them. I have myself, my hubby, my son, and my mom (who is almost 59 now, and plays mmo's still since UO, yah, she's awesome)...I have to supply all of us with mats and equipment and money to afford all we need since they can't stand to do gathering and crafting, lol I just enjoyed UO style crafting/gathering and even DAOC where I'd go into a dungeon or Darkness falls and solo a bit for money and stuff to break down for mats.

I'm not sure if it will be a matter of 'going out and chilling'. I believe it was stated somewhere (don't remember where) the more interesting crafting materials will be gathered in RvR/Contested areas. Less chillin', more sweatin'. :)

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

  Ziftylrhavic

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/15/13
Posts: 223

3/29/13 8:02:55 AM#14
Originally posted by Mortify

I'm not sure if it will be a matter of 'going out and chilling'. I believe it was stated somewhere (don't remember where) the more interesting crafting materials will be gathered in RvR/Contested areas. Less chillin', more sweatin'. :)

Yes but because a crafter will have limited fighting skills, he won't have to be on edge during the entire battle, he will have to focus on waiting for the fight to be over while helping as he can, which is surely not being in the heart of the melee but more weakening the walls or helping with the siege weapons.

 

I expect it to be less demanding, while still being fun to do^^

  Stiler

Novice Member

Joined: 10/19/05
Posts: 599

3/29/13 8:07:42 AM#15

Yeah that's how it was in UO. You'd be at a mine or something gathering and then  out of the corner of your screen you saw a "red name" come by (red named players were people who have killed many people and turned "red").

Then you'd either have to hope they'd ignore you if they noticed you or you'd have to run or hide and try to get away.

Made for some qutie exciting times and spiced up the usual gathering.

  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2440

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

 
OP  3/29/13 9:48:18 AM#16
Originally posted by Stiler

Yeah that's how it was in UO. You'd be at a mine or something gathering and then  out of the corner of your screen you saw a "red name" come by (red named players were people who have killed many people and turned "red").

Then you'd either have to hope they'd ignore you if they noticed you or you'd have to run or hide and try to get away.

Made for some qutie exciting times and spiced up the usual gathering.

That reminded me of one time when my hubby was mining naked with his miner in UO. He carried bandages, some cloth, and poisoned katanas under it all. Some guy thought he'd try and steal something from him, he got 1 bandage, lol..Hubby whipped out the poisoned katana and chased the guy all the way to his house then killed him at the doorstep, lol..It was hilarious.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  fanglo

Novice Member

Joined: 5/26/04
Posts: 280

3/29/13 1:04:30 PM#17

Last night I was on my ani in DaoC. Albs were taking everything, it got to the point where all we had left were the 2 relic keeps. For some reason I thought that the albs would go for the power relic so they could get the +20% magic damage (they already had the mids pow) so I started scouting. I actually found the zerg right as they were setting up the ram on Scaith t4 to cut port to the keep. I spammed region with how many I saw and hibs rallied to scaith keep.

As the tower door got down to 50% I suicided on the albs so I could port to scaith and not be forced to run there. When I got to scaith I saw at least 5 hibs setting up various different siege. There were 2 rams near the door (too block LOS) there were maybe 5-6 ballistas and about 2-3 catapults. Once the albs hit scaith they set up their own siege which consisted of 2-3 ballistas and 2-3 catapults. They had an interesting strategy, instead of take down the door, they treb'd the crap out of the wall and blasted a hole in it. The albs were too slow though, and all the siege inside the keep was re-positioned to defend that hole. We had so much siege that there was no chance for the albs to push inside. We then got more and more hibs to help defend and eventually killed all the albs and repaired the keep wall.

The whole point of my story is that Crafters - Especially siegecrafters played a big role in the battle for scaithig and I would imagine in CU they may play a similar role.

 

 

 

EDIT: Removed the word "so" from the beggining.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!