Trending Games | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Sword Coast Legends | Guild Wars 2 | Crowfall

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,950,806 Users Online:0
Games:778  Posts:6,375,912
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Question about Keeps and Towers...

10 posts found
  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

 
OP  2/27/13 11:00:18 AM#1

I know he hasn't stated anything this in depth yet but I would like to get everyones feeling for it.

 

I remember one of my biggest dissapointments in DAOC was when they brought out NF and made all the keeps the same and took away relic keeps instead making those stupid platform fights.

I really hope we have unique towers and keeps ( or w/e they have ), relic keeps etc. across the three realms. I have a feeling he will go this route along with unique classes across the three realms as well because I honestly think this is one of the greatest features in DAOC.

Every realm had different Choke Points, different tactics, different ways of assaulting and defending from, I get balance is a problem, but was it ever that big of a problem?

Thoughts?

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  versulas

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/14/09
Posts: 287

2/27/13 4:35:57 PM#2
It would be nice. Might be a pain to code and implement, but it would definitely add realism. For the actual keeps/castles, it'd be cool if we had a more intricate design than: bust through the door, rush the ramp, kill the lord. Imagine if there was a labyrinth of pathways defenders could hide in and perform guerilla warfare ;P
  Conquestor

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/15/13
Posts: 15

2/28/13 1:11:05 PM#3
I don't care what it is as long as I can scale the wall, hide inside and create havoc!
  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

 
OP  2/28/13 1:25:31 PM#4
Shouldn't be that bad to code and impliment, you just have 3 different keep designs, 3 different relic keep designs, and 3 different tower designs ( if they have towers or which ever. )

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  Ashuma

Novice Member

Joined: 2/22/13
Posts: 10

2/28/13 10:47:57 PM#5
I can't think of a good reason to think that the three realms wouldn't have different sytle keeps and such. They are focusing on fun and the realms being different. With them having no PvE it seems like this kind of thing can, should, and will happen.

-Ash

"The two things that are going to survive nuclear winter are going to be cockroaches and WoW." - Mark Jacobs

  waynejr2

Elite Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 4165

RIP City of Heroes!

2/28/13 11:01:41 PM#6
Originally posted by Conquestor
I don't care what it is as long as I can scale the wall, hide inside and create havoc!

 Can we add the classic tunnel under the walls/keep/forts.   That's how Chainmail became dungeons which lead to...anyone? anyone?

Under the keep/fortress we could have underground defenses including but not limited to:  monsters, traps, mazes and much more......

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html

  fanglo

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/26/04
Posts: 288

3/01/13 11:37:14 AM#7

How about the way the Sims handles structures. Take casinos for example as you level up you get access to new casinos you can plop down. Once you plop one down though it doesn't stop there. There are plopables that you can add to yoru casino, like Helo pad, extra hotel rooms, VIP areas etc...

This means as your guild level up you'd gain access to more types of Keeps/towers. Whenever you make a keep or tower you can further customize it. For example a tower, you could simply make it taller, 2-3-4 stories high. Also you could maybe add a better door, maybe a window or 2 for the casters to use. You could make everything unlucked by guild levels. Also all of this stuff wouldn't need to be in at launch, but it would give the game longevity if every couple months you release a new style of castle/tower for players to use. In a few years you could have hundreds of different structures with various mods available to them. That would help keep the game fresh as an enemy attacking would have to use a different strategy depending on the keep they were trying to take.

I also was thinking of a Tower/Keep skill tree for guild levels like

                  1 floor - 2 floors - 3 floors - 4 floors

Tower -{

                 upgraded door - more windows - more siege hook points

 

This would allow a guild to specialize in the types of structures they could build. It would be neat if you make it so that it took a long time to level up so then you would know the typical structure a guild would make. Maybe a guild called Knights of Good makes a heavily fortified Melee friendtly castle while the Magika Elits make a castle more focused on windows and casting spells from up high.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

 
OP  3/01/13 3:18:01 PM#8

That's a great idea. Think that fits in well with what i've understood about the crafting system. Being able to configure keeps and towers for your realm, build stronger / larger doors, ramparts etc. would give crafters a lot to work on while the PVP'rs defend the keep to allow them time to fortify.

I don't know how you get a ceiling to this, as if there are 8 keeps / realms there may be some keeps that don't get taken as much and thus would end up being fortified too much maybe?

I'm sure it could be prevented so it wasn't unattainable to take, but it would be a cool idea.

I just hope each base keep / towers are unique depending on the realm. I remember old hib / alb / mid keeps were so different it was cool and unique to attack hibs in an alb keep, and albs in hib keep as well as hibs in hib keeps. With all the different classes, added a lot more tactical decisions to be made to successfully take / defend.

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  Vargur

Novice Member

Joined: 1/15/10
Posts: 143

3/02/13 2:33:07 AM#9
Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

I know he hasn't stated anything this in depth yet but I would like to get everyones feeling for it.

 

I remember one of my biggest dissapointments in DAOC was when they brought out NF and made all the keeps the same and took away relic keeps instead making those stupid platform fights.

I really hope we have unique towers and keeps ( or w/e they have ), relic keeps etc. across the three realms. I have a feeling he will go this route along with unique classes across the three realms as well because I honestly think this is one of the greatest features in DAOC.

Every realm had different Choke Points, different tactics, different ways of assaulting and defending from, I get balance is a problem, but was it ever that big of a problem?

Thoughts?

I agree completely. The old frontier keeps had soul and individuality, while the new ones was just bland. Even if lag-dropping down from the Hib-stairs was annoying as hell :)

MJ hinted that he wanted to make different types of structures part of RvR, so they had obviously brainstormed this.

  Kvalandur

Novice Member

Joined: 1/08/13
Posts: 31

3/02/13 7:00:44 AM#10
Originally posted by fanglo

How about the way the Sims handles structures. Take casinos for example as you level up you get access to new casinos you can plop down. Once you plop one down though it doesn't stop there. There are plopables that you can add to yoru casino, like Helo pad, extra hotel rooms, VIP areas etc...

This means as your guild level up you'd gain access to more types of Keeps/towers. Whenever you make a keep or tower you can further customize it. For example a tower, you could simply make it taller, 2-3-4 stories high. Also you could maybe add a better door, maybe a window or 2 for the casters to use. You could make everything unlucked by guild levels. Also all of this stuff wouldn't need to be in at launch, but it would give the game longevity if every couple months you release a new style of castle/tower for players to use. In a few years you could have hundreds of different structures with various mods available to them. That would help keep the game fresh as an enemy attacking would have to use a different strategy depending on the keep they were trying to take.

 

 That's an interesting idea. Structures would have to have limitations to their total size to prevent huge sprawling lagg inducing monsters. But no reason you couldn't alter the keep, removing say a tower and installing some new thing you unlocked. Not sure how hard it would be to code, but I like the idea.