Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,082 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,563
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » The Beginning, you arrive in the game world.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
21 posts found
  Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

OP  2/20/13 10:49:56 AM#1

Lets talk about your first few seconds into the game. What are people interested in? Mark mentioned that they expect players to research and know what they are getting into. So maybe it's not a tutorial at all. I would be happy with reading up on combat, how it works, what to expect etc. then entering the world cold and figuring it out on the fly. For me this is always the most exciting route and I generally skip tutorials if I can. The way I see it, I've been gaming for over 25 years, and MMOing for 10, that is all the tutorial I need.

WIth that siad, I am also a big fan of the skyrim system. You awaken somewhere, a bit off balance, get thrown into some chaos and emerge ready to start your life. I know PVE will not be a focus but I thought this might be the one place to make a tutorial and use some PVE.

For those of you who prefer a more gentle approach maybe you awaken in a cell with a larger bump on your head, get led down a hall, handed some weapons, then pushed out into an arena. You have to defeat your opponent to be set free (this is the tutorial on combat). To broaden it maybe you go down the hall and have an interaction with a NPC that talks about crafting your weapon before he hands it to you and pushes you out the door to fight someone so you see both worlds? After you win the fight you enter the main game with a few base items you were rewarded with for your victory and are ready to live out your life the way you want to.

Less tutorial, more story you say? You wake up on the mountain, the Gods looking down at you. It's very dream like. They tell you your not yet worthy to be among them. Your have to go back, live a full life, show your worth (be that as being an uber warrior, community builder, etc.). Your fall down the rabbit hole (think the Thor movie time travel sequence or Gandalf falling down through hell) and wake up in the middle of nowhere, bloody, wounded, but alive. You get up, dust off and continue your life.

As usual, thoughts or ideas?

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

tlear

Novice Member

2/20/13 10:54:22 AM#2
You get dropped into a pit filled with filthy albs and dirty hibs and you have to slaughter then all, then feast on their remains?
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

2/20/13 11:29:58 AM#3
Call me crazy, but I like the planetside 2 approach of drop podding you into the biggest fight on the server.
  User Deleted
2/20/13 11:30:38 AM#4
Originally posted by tlear
You get dropped into a pit filled with filthy albs and dirty hibs and you have to slaughter then all, then feast on their remains?

LOL!

fanglo

Novice Member

2/20/13 11:37:59 AM#5
I think a tutorial should be used for new players. A lot of players who didn't play daoc are noobs when it comes to rvr. Creating a tutorial for them to learn things like assisting, picking out logical targets, kiting, panning, etc... Would help them get up to speed on normal rvr skills.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

meddyck

Elite Member

2/20/13 12:58:10 PM#6

Yeah except make it a DAOC-style BG instead of a mere pit. Let freshly made toons fight it out and learn their abilities in a separate simplified persistent zone with one central keep. Then when they're ready they can go jump into the adult end of the pool.

Camelot Unchained Founder
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

SyrixII

Novice Member

2/20/13 1:06:58 PM#7
Originally posted by fanglo
I think a tutorial should be used for new players. A lot of players who didn't play daoc are noobs when it comes to rvr. Creating a tutorial for them to learn things like assisting, picking out logical targets, kiting, panning, etc... Would help them get up to speed on normal rvr skills.

Really?

You're trolling right?

If you're playing a RvR only game and have no idea what you're getting into, you probably need to do some reading before you launch the game. I think Mark has already said a few times that this game is intended for players that already know what they want and this is what they are wanting. It isn't being designed to teach new players how to play a game.

With that being said, I don't oppose a tutorial, but let someone make it a webpage with guides or something. When the time comes for in game programming, let them work on the core game itself. Don't make them spend time programming tutorials on how to play the game.

boxsnd

Advanced Member

2/20/13 1:11:50 PM#8
Originally posted by meddyck

Yeah except make it a DAOC-style BG instead of a mere pit. Let freshly made toons fight it out and learn their abilities in a separate simplified persistent zone with one central keep. Then when they're ready they can go jump into the adult end of the pool.

Thidranki as a tutorial. I would reroll every day. So much want.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

fanglo

Novice Member

2/21/13 10:35:45 AM#9
Originally posted by SyrixII

Really?

You're trolling right?

If you're playing a RvR only game and have no idea what you're getting into, you probably need to do some reading before you launch the game. I think Mark has already said a few times that this game is intended for players that already know what they want and this is what they are wanting. It isn't being designed to teach new players how to play a game.

With that being said, I don't oppose a tutorial, but let someone make it a webpage with guides or something. When the time comes for in game programming, let them work on the core game itself. Don't make them spend time programming tutorials on how to play the game.

When the game is released there will be players who won't really know what RvR is. I wasn't saying force a tutorial on players but there needs to be something for the newer players.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

Daimonion69

Novice Member

2/21/13 4:37:07 PM#10

Some kind of character "kindergarden" would be fun, i think. Where your, as a kid, play catching or hide and seek with other players. To get accustomed to the controls and to have some rpg background "...yes i played with him in the sandbox already..."

The small elven wizard kids throw water bombs at other kids and the little troll bullies the breton. ;)

However some ppl might find it disturbing to bring playing kids in connection to a war game.... that might be counter point at that idea.

Still i think that would be pretty immersive and not like most generated tutorials, and you would play from sec 1 with/against other players.

shadevice

Apprentice Member

2/21/13 4:46:21 PM#11

When you arrive in the game world you should be treated like child Leonidas in the movie 300.

If you're too bad, weak, you die and cannot play further. in fact a giant message should appear on the screen...

"YOU HAVE FAILED< PLEASE UNINSTALL THE GAME<"

django-django

Novice Member

2/21/13 4:55:49 PM#12
As previously stated, gladiator style. New players start off as prisoners who first fight against other NPC prisoners in an arena, to learn all the skills. Once you advance through your skills, you are pitted against another player who has just climbed the ranks against other NPC's to fight against you and whoever wins, advances into the real world and other player has to begin from the start. Sounds a bit hardcore, but I would love having to fight my way into a game and earn my place into the game.
  Tierless

Apprentice Member

joie de vivre

OP  2/21/13 9:38:46 PM#13

Many games have the option to skip the tut and head right into the game, I wouldn't mind that.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

2/21/13 9:41:06 PM#14
Isn't this game just starting development?  For your own mental health, you should find something else to do for a couple years....

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

noblot

Advanced Member

Today is a good day to Pwn someone

2/21/13 10:18:19 PM#15

WAR had a very good starter areas with big battles going on and you were right in the middle of it. Da Big Boss sent you off on little errands for him and immediately you felt part of the world. Killing drunk dwarfs in barrels was great, and then later getting a quest to put them in the barrels was sublime.

Something like this with PvE start would work very well; most players remember level 1 -5 in DAoC with fondness, after that I think you can PvP to your heart's content but there definately needs to be a PvE start.

shadevice

Apprentice Member

2/21/13 10:20:45 PM#16
Originally posted by MindTrigger
Isn't this game just starting development?  For your own mental health, you should find something else to do for a couple years....

What's worse? enthusiasts discussing a game they are excited about, which is a form of entertainment for them on CUs specific forums.

Or a guy coming to said forums just to belittle those people.

I wonder who really needs a mental health evaluation.

Stiler

Apprentice Member

2/22/13 1:45:11 AM#17
Originally posted by SyrixII

Really?

You're trolling right?

If there's anything I know about gaming, even though i'm not a developer, it's that first impressions mean a WORLD of differenec to many people.

Plopping people into the game, with no tutoral, no help or explanation of how things work, what does what, etc is one of the quickest ways to lose players and make a bad first impression for new players.

You only get a single chance to give a first impression and that can mean a sale or a lost sale and a dissatifised customer. 

Ebonheart

Advanced Member

2/22/13 6:32:33 AM#18

Something like the tutorial from Chivalry: Medieval Warfare would be fine. Break some pottery, spar with some NPCs, and operate some seige weapons. It would take about 10 - 20 minutes and you'd be familiar with the controls.

After that you hop on a boat with a bunch of other recruits and sail to the battleground for an amphibious landing, Omaha style.

Eluwien

Novice Member

2/22/13 6:42:39 AM#19
"If I would need hand helding, I'd still be with your mother".

WHO - Online 08-10
WoW - Online since launch.
LOTR-O - Online 06-08
EVE - Online 07-Now
DAoC - Online 01-Now
Also played : AC, EQ, EQ2, DDO,
Cabal, D&L, GW, LA2, Ryzom
Shaiya, SWG, Allods
Waiting : DAoC2

Heartspark

Novice Member

2/22/13 9:35:48 AM#20
It should instant start you in a keep under attack.  The idea being you don't know wtf is going on, but you know you have to kill the bad guys attacking it.  But its a real battle in the game, and when you first die you start off in some town or border town or whatever is going to be in the game thinking to yourself "What the hell was that all about".  If that is not a kick in the nuts to get you intrested i don't know what would be. :D

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

2 Pages 1 2 » Search