Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,852 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,792
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Camelot Unchained Forum » General Discussion » Speed classes - yes or no (poll)

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
43 posts found
  meddyck

Advanced Member

OP  2/16/13 10:21:37 AM#1
DAOC had primary and secondary speed classes and mounts. What would you like to see in CU?

Speed classes - yes or no

Speed classes only
Speed classes and mounts
(login to vote)

Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

meddyck

Advanced Member

OP  2/16/13 10:23:12 AM#2
Ugh hit Enter before I finished entering poll options. I meant to also have options for "Mounts only" and "No speed". Is there no way to edit a poll or delete a post?

Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

Seitr

Novice Member

2/16/13 10:56:05 AM#3
Loved my skald!!
  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

2/16/13 10:58:47 AM#4
Loved having them. In the early days of RvR people would pick up skalds on Mid/Guin even if they were lower level, just for speed if you didn't have a speeder already hehe.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

alexisevic

Novice Member

2/16/13 11:59:42 AM#5

Speed added a critically important, but at the same time subtle, mechanic to the game that cannot be overstated.  It allowed developers to spread out landmarks such as keep, towers, and bridges geographically but at the same time keep travel times low. 

Because you lost speed when attacked, or attacking, it had the effect of changing the scale of the map.  If you got hit away from a defenseable position odds were that it was to far away to fall back too... you had to stay and fight.  The map that was relativly small when you had speed suddenly got a lot bigger as soon as you were in combat.   Its difficult to properly atriculate why in a forum post,  but this had a very healthy effect on fights.

meddyck

Advanced Member

OP  2/16/13 12:24:37 PM#6

I hope they do have speed classes. There clearly is a need for faster movement speed out of combat to allow the maps to be large. We see in GW 2 how cumbersome it is to RvR without a permanent speed buff.

Mounts are fine as an additional source of speed for classes and groups that don't have a speed chant. Plus they could then put epic mobs in difficult to reach parts of the maps that when killed gave you unique mounts and/or sell special mounts in the cash shop.

But having classes with permanent speed chants is the best way to handle it. That way you don't have to wait while everybody summons his mount or stop and wait for somebody to resummon when he inadvertently gets knocked off.

Of course there is the problem that every group will want/need to have this class in it. My thought is give the primary healing class in each realm the best group speed chant. That way it won't require an additional group slot to cover both of these necessary functions.

Camelot Unchained Backer

OgreRaper

Novice Member

2/16/13 12:46:12 PM#7
I definitely want speed classes. I really have no interest in mounts at all.
  Kruul

Novice Member

2/16/13 12:48:57 PM#8
Speed classes only
  aylwynn

Novice Member

2/16/13 12:49:39 PM#9
Originally posted by OgreRaper
I definitely want speed classes. I really have no interest in mounts at all.

This.

tlear

Novice Member

2/16/13 12:57:58 PM#10
Hate mounts, the whole "poof" aspect of them really annoys me
  Heartspark

Novice Member

2/16/13 1:15:45 PM#11
Mounts always seemed cheesy or cheap to me.  I did not get a mount untill i had to because everyone else did to "compete".

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

boxsnd

Hard Core Member

2/16/13 3:07:53 PM#12

No mounts. They break immersion (a horse appears from nowhere and then disappears). Casting the mount every time you need to move is annoying as hell. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Pedrob

Novice Member

2/16/13 3:30:51 PM#13

Yes to speed classes.  It's been a while since I've seen a class with perma speed.

Mounts only add more lag in big fights.

Lore84

Novice Member

2/16/13 3:42:35 PM#14
Yes to speed classes....no to mounts. I don't think they are necessary. Also, as has been said it csn break immersion.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

Raagnarz

Advanced Member

2/16/13 4:41:30 PM#15
Absolutely to speed classes. If the game is going to be as massive landwise as he has alluded to, then we're gonna need some skald speed lol. Pain trains need to run faster dammit lol.
  Stiler

Novice Member

2/16/13 5:00:15 PM#16

I say yes but got to have balance amongst them as well.

Also a small thing, but one thing I'd love is if there's a speed class/buff, please have an apporaite animatin for it so that it looks good/fits, and isn't either simply an "ice skating" look to it or just a simple sped-up normal-run animation that looks wonky. It'd be nice if they had unique animations that look fitting and what you'd expect.

fanglo

Novice Member

2/16/13 6:28:41 PM#17
I would like mounts, or if not mounts someway for a player to get speed (hastners) No speed means the only players that would venture out away from the safety net of a keep would be the players with speed.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

time007

Novice Member

"Get your FPS out of my MMORPG" - Timetrapper (me)

2/16/13 9:56:50 PM#18

No mounts.

Primary speed for bard/mins type assist classes, secondary speed for certain types of casters. 

For the primary speed classes, give them another burst speed mechanism when they are uber high RR

This at least gives 8-mans a chance to get away from zergs if they get into trouble.

Also, please allow the speed to be cast via flute, drum, or small guitar.

Tierless

Novice Member

joie de vivre

2/16/13 11:35:40 PM#19

Unless a mount is used for hauling and can be stolen or killed I don't really have much use for them.

mmorpg.com/blogs/Xobdnas

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

2/16/13 11:38:02 PM#20

How about expanding your poll to actually include the no part.

Personally I do not like speed classes, mounts are fine and I also like when classes have access to short sprint useage.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search