Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,761 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,109
City State Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:City State Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
100 posts found
  Nanfoodle

Elite Member

2/05/13 3:11:28 PM#21
Originally posted by redcapp

God I hope this game is good. 

I think of how much money they could make if it is? =-) If only all MMOs were good, we would have no time to post here lol I also hope its worth its salt. I am rdy for a MMO that can bring back the glory days of DAoC RvR. 

Vinterkrig

Novice Member

2/05/13 8:13:22 PM#22

They will never recapture what DAOC was because the players aren't the same anymore. 

.. it'll just be another zerg fest of keyboards smashing into mindless gamer's heads, cheering themselves on victories of a laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battle where they spammed TAB to auto target and fired off random spells.

Kost

Newshound

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

2/05/13 8:22:13 PM#23
Originally posted by Nanfoodle

How is Mark's working on this project going to be any different then WAR?

He won't have EA breathing down his neck for starters.

Anyone who thinks some of Mark's decisions were not heavily influenced by EA is fooling themselves. He graciously accepts responsibility for his part with WAR, I think that in itself is refreshing to see coming from a developer, not many around these days that don't try to pass the buck for failure onto as many others as possible.

User Deleted

OP  2/05/13 8:36:08 PM#24
Originally posted by Vinterkrig

They will never recapture what DAOC was because the players aren't the same anymore. 

.. it'll just be another zerg fest of keyboards smashing into mindless gamer's heads, cheering themselves on victories of a laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battle where they spammed TAB to auto target and fired off random spells.

This is a key point i think.

Back during the first generation of MMORPG's gamers seemed to make do with what was presented to them.  People enjoyed the game more because of it.  The community in those games was fantastic as trolling really hadnt become a cool thing to do.

Current generation of gamers walks into a game with a long checklist of features and systems that not only must be present, but executed EXACTLY as they envisioned...else there are huge problem and there can be no enjoyment.

A reskinned DAOC today would be dubbed a "zerg fest" "skill-less pvp" "terrible combat"  "boring same old"  "endgame sucks"  ect

It would be hyped to high heaven prior to launch then nose dive.  Global chat would be turned off by most, unable to bear with the flood of chat but not a single conversation taking place.  Nothing but people pretending they have alienware and its awesome and then people pretending that guy isnt trolling and entertaining the idea, along with people explaing why the guy pretending to like alienware is wrong and stupid...multiply this across all internet meme's  mix a pinch of "XXX game is better" and "wow did it first" and you have every global chat in any modern thempark.

Anyway....i appreciate the first gen games, glad i was a part of a lot of them, it will never be like that again.  The only hope is some truely unique combat mechanics and unique game systems.  Doing what EQ, DAOC, and Anarchy online did all those years ago meshed together as one game, with a twist...its just too much of it...we need new.  This game isnt offering that, its offering "a blast from the past" which everyone will want, until the get it.

collekt

Advanced Member

2/05/13 9:08:06 PM#25
Originally posted by Vinterkrig

I think you have a valid point that it won't recapture what DAoC was to us. However, I don't think it's fair to accuse the game of being "just another zerg fest of laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battles." At the moment, we know next to nothing about how this game will be implemented. They have already stated that it's not a clone of what DAoC used to be, but rather that it's a new game entirely. I think we should wait until more information is available to judge what the game will turn out to be.

noblot

Advanced Member

Today is a good day to Pwn someone

2/05/13 9:28:15 PM#26

There is no reason that this can't be a big budget title. Kickstart can easily raise millons, and they you don't have to make a tonne of compromises to ensure that you make lots of "profit" to apease the bankers.

I'm very optomistic, DAoC was the best MMO ever (IMHO), and for all the slagging off, WAR was not a bad game and had alot of good features. Mirror classes, Public quests, RVR lakes and Tiers, and not to mention that you could PvP at level 1 (and not have to get to level 50 via PvE to play RvR).

LongLivePvP

Novice Member

2/05/13 9:29:50 PM#27
This will take at least 3 yrs to go full blown release if Kick starter is successful ...so yeah

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

keitholi

Apprentice Member

2/05/13 9:50:36 PM#28
Originally posted by MindTrigger
Originally posted by OgreRaper
Originally posted by Nanfoodle

DAoC had PvE, it had really fun PvE that often tied back into what was going on in RvR. Before EA steped in, there was a great crafting system. None instanced dungeons. Player housing. CU is going to need a lot more then RvR to make it. Sure make it the meat of the game but that a long way from a MMO that will make it. 

Mr. Jacobs pretty much said they're making a niche game with Camelot Unchained. Fact is, if PvE is important to you, this is not your kind of game. They are aiming at players like me, hardcore PvP/RvR people who really don't care about PvE... AT ALL.

This game is not meant for PvEers

It will be niche, that's for sure.  I wonder what these little myopic niche games, such as Darkfall, are going to do when some great well-rounded sandbox games come out with fun PvP *and* all the other stuff too.  Become even more niche is my guess.

More power to them if the business model is sustainable, but the niche PvP mmo genre is never going to be very big.

The way I see it, with Jacobs at the helm, he could shoot for taking the whole Darkfail / MO / DAoC and myriad other PvP centric titles audience. There are plenty of us out there to fill the niche, who are just craving something from a Dev who wont be downright dishonest with the playerbase. Even a mediocre attempt from Mark would probably beat anything out by the rest of them, and DAoC only due to age ;)  I'm not saying he's the next mesiah, but I consider him a stand up guy. Lately I just feel so disappointed in not only the games, but the companies behind them who seem more and more willing to mislead and mistreat the playerbase. I don't want to give my money to people like that.

LongLivePvP

Novice Member

2/05/13 10:26:10 PM#29

Needless to say when this goes live on kickstarter next month It will be the first that I will support. 

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

banzai014

Novice Member

2/05/13 10:32:07 PM#30
I hope the graphics will be good, although I have my doubts since it's ony backed by kickstarter money.
  Amisch

Novice Member

2/06/13 5:26:06 AM#31
exxxxciting!
  sapphen

Novice Member

2/06/13 5:40:16 AM#32
Originally posted by banzai014
I hope the graphics will be good, although I have my doubts since it's ony backed by kickstarter money.

Yeah that darn kickstarter money always gives us crappy products compared to other money.  I once got a project of mine funded on kickstarter and when I sent it off to the printer, all I got was a cheap hand-painted version on a block of wood.

Good news is I heard a company in Sweden will take kickstarter money and convert it to real money for 10% of the total. 

synn

Apprentice Member

2/06/13 5:59:19 AM#33

Originally posted by banzai014 I hope the graphics will be good, although I have my doubts since it's ony backed by kickstarter money.

Mark Jacobs: I’ll go into more detail about that when we get closer to the launch. It is safe to say though that I’ll be sticking my neck on the line (again) financially and I won’t be seeking the full funding amount from Kickstarter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will prove to me and the other investors that putting in the money it will take to launch CU is a worthwhile investment. I’ve been very upfront that this Kickstarter campaign could face-plant for any number of reasons but it’s better to know that now and only lose a small amount time/money from the studio instead of spending millions of dollars on a game that people don’t want

...seems like more then just money from a successful kickstarter program will go into the games development.

Marcus-

Advanced Member

2/06/13 6:10:02 AM#34
Originally posted by banzai014

In an RvR type game, odds are the graphics will be of lower quality, add to that its a smaller budget  type MMO, i would have my doubts as well.

Thats ok, i personally don't play for graphics. 

Kruul

Novice Member

2/06/13 6:14:48 AM#35
I'm hoping PVE is on par with Darkness Falls. Darkness Falls was one fo the the most entertaining places to hang out when the frontiers were slow.
  pwain

Novice Member

2/06/13 8:30:16 AM#36
Originally posted by Kruul
I'm hoping PVE is on par with Darkness Falls. Darkness Falls was one fo the the most entertaining places to hang out when the frontiers were slow.

Agree with that,  Darkness Falls was amazing.

Theocritus

Apprentice Member

2/06/13 8:32:48 AM#37
DAoC 2.0 is only fine if they learn from the mistakes that DAoC made......
  User Deleted
2/06/13 8:33:02 AM#38
Originally posted by Crunchy222

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

is this what people are looking for?

Will this game do it right? or will be get another warhammer online type game that everyone flocks to for a month then moves on?

I see its going to kickstarter...wich dissapoints me...i want a game like this to have a big budget, as ive been dabbling in the low budget games for years and know what to expect.

Jacobs flat out said that this game isn't DAOC 2.0.  I would guess it's so people won't abuse the whole comparison (which is inevitable).  I think people need to step back and see what the game offers to see where it exactly fits in the genre.  

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

2/06/13 8:34:54 AM#39
Originally posted by Crunchy222

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

is this what people are looking for?

Will this game do it right? or will be get another warhammer online type game that everyone flocks to for a month then moves on?

I see its going to kickstarter...wich dissapoints me...i want a game like this to have a big budget, as ive been dabbling in the low budget games for years and know what to expect.

You might want to read his interviews...

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Danwarr

Novice Member

"Prepare for Titanfall."

2/06/13 8:38:21 AM#40
Based on the interviews, I think this game has the potential to basically be a Fantasy version of EVE. I'm personally very excited for this project.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
Playing: ESO,DCUO
Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search