Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Hearthstone | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,834 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,378
LivePlex | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 03/27/13)  | Pub:Aeria Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Scarlet Blade Forum » General Discussion » "Most anticipated MMORPG 2013" ... lolwhat?

8 posts found
  Hrotha

Novice Member

OP  3/30/13 2:27:23 PM#1
Just saw the huge add on the mainpage. Is it even legal to speak of ones product in such terms, when there is obviously no true evidence behind this statement?

Athena_Starfire

Apprentice Member

UH! Whats this lever do?

3/30/13 6:52:40 PM#2

Since when does anything paid for on MMORPG.com have a basis in reality. You pay your money, they promote it.

I would think this was very obvious...

ZombieKen

Advanced Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

3/30/13 6:57:14 PM#3

Standard hype-train promotion.  All businesses do it.  When your product or service releases, present it as highly antipated and revolutionary in the industry.

Yeah, it's legal.  They didn't say anticipated by whom.  It's like the "Three out of four doctors agree that..." advertisement.  They pay three doctors to agree and a forth one to disagree.  It doesn't mean 75% of all doctors in the world.  You have to look at the specific language.  It's legal to imply almost anything as long as you don't say it.

One quote I've personally admired:

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." ~ Will Rogers

Having spent a decade working in commercial radio and TV, I can hardly disagree.

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

Monstre0auS

Novice Member

3/30/13 6:59:42 PM#4
One day I'm going to make an animated short of a bird taking a crap on a computer, title it, "Poor Game: the story of the state of MMO's decline since 06'", pay MMORPG.com to advertise it as one of the most anticipated short films of our lifetime and profit.
  Alka_Setzer

Advanced Member

3/30/13 6:59:43 PM#5

It's no different than declaring something is game of the year. Typically there is nothing to decisively say this one game is "game of the year", whatever that even means...

Anyone can say something is game of the year, anyone can say something is the most anticipated, just like all products say they're the best.

ZombieKen

Advanced Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

3/30/13 7:08:07 PM#6
Originally posted by Monstre0auS
One day I'm going to make an animated short of a bird taking a crap on a computer, title it, "Poor Game: the story of the state of MMO's decline since 06'", pay MMORPG.com to advertise it as one of the most anticipated short films of our lifetime and profit.

You'll probably win one of those Indie Film awards :-)

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

simplius

Novice Member

4/10/13 7:05:40 AM#7
Originally posted by 4bsolute
Just saw the huge add on the mainpage. Is it even legal to speak of ones product in such terms, when there is obviously no true evidence behind this statement?

who cares about legal mumbo-jumbo

look man,,BOOBIES

let the suits and moneygrabbers worry about the other stuff

JeroKane

Elite Member

4/10/13 7:08:34 AM#8
Originally posted by XAPKen

Standard hype-train promotion.  All businesses do it.  When your product or service releases, present it as highly antipated and revolutionary in the industry.

Yeah, it's legal.  They didn't say anticipated by whom.  It's like the "Three out of four doctors agree that..." advertisement.  They pay three doctors to agree and a forth one to disagree.  It doesn't mean 75% of all doctors in the world.  You have to look at the specific language.  It's legal to imply almost anything as long as you don't say it.

One quote I've personally admired:

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." ~ Will Rogers

Having spent a decade working in commercial radio and TV, I can hardly disagree.

Exactly this!  Sales techniques 101.