Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,726 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,672
LivePlex | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 03/27/13)  | Pub:Aeria Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Scarlet Blade Forum » General Discussion » Review, shallow questing grind and pitiful PVP.

10 posts found
  Waterlily

Apprentice Member

OP  3/28/13 1:08:51 AM#1

This is my critical and completely unprofessional review.

I am a lvl 23 defender if you would like to know (max lvl is lvl 43 or something)

I guess this game attracts mainly guys because of the scandily clad women, but fear not girls and boys, any excitement will soon be over once you start playing this garbage.

Graphics: 5/10

It's a game that looks like a game that should have been released 3 to 4 years ago. It has a lot of washed out textures, the models are really bad, it only supports DX9. It doesn't look terrible and the futuristic looks has a charm to it, but it's nothing special.

Sound / music: 7/10

There's a lot of voice acting which is really nice, but the music is repetitive, sounds are clunky.

Gameplay: 1/10

What a horrible gameplay, MY GOD. The game is a quest grinder, and when I say quest grinder, I mean quest grinder. Imagine WoW and take out all the interesting quests until you have only the kill quests left and you pretty much have the gameplay of Scarlet Blade. You will be doing kill quests the whole time.

The abilities are all spam abilities that you chain non-stop, you will be soloing in this game since no one bothers to group because you can defeat everything solo, up till lvl 23 at least. At least in games like Rift, WoW, Vanguard and Vindictus, each time I played a tank role I had something else than 4 spam attacks after 23 levels. In scarlet blade all you get is spam attacks that do dps, the only difference between them is that they have a different timer, you run up to a mob, spam, do a heal potion and move to the next one. No charges, no shield blocks, no dodges, no special attacks, no decent AE, no riposte, just spam clicking all the way through the game.

PVP, I thought PVE was bad, PVP only happens in arenas, it is nothing more than an empty arena where 20 people from one side storm 20 people from the other side, and spam each other by clicking their buttons. There are no tactics, no real goals outside of a tower you destroy in the first minute and then it's spam time for 10 minutes, that is if you are not half asleep by then or putting your fingers in ice because you just got RSI.

You're also forced to participate in those PVP fights since you'll need the silver medal for gear, and you'll need the xp to pull you over from lvl to lvl, otherwise you run out of quests and mob xp is almost non-existent.

Gameplay is incredibly bad.

Overall score: 3/10

fiontar

Hard Core Member

3/30/13 3:03:46 AM#2

The game play is a reminder of exactly how many MMOs played before WoW. This game's combat gives me flashbacks to Anarchy Online about 13 years ago. The genre thankfully has moved on quite a bit since then, with some games further along than others. However, we did manage to enjoy the games of a decade ago, so I'm sure some people will enjoy this game now, with the T&A being the bonus item that enhances the experience for some.

BTW, I don't think the character models are bad at all, but I do think most of the outfits are horrible, even if they succeed at being revealing.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Brenelael

Guide

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

3/31/13 3:26:29 PM#3

Although I do agree with a lot of what you are saying I do have to correct you on a few points. The first point is you picked probably the most boring of any class in this game to play. This is no different than any other MMO however as the dedcated tank class is almost always the one with the fewest skills as they only really have one job... to hold agro. Point two is only about 50% of the quests are straight up kill quests. The other 50% is made up with your usual mix of collection and fedex quests. This ratio is a little high on the kill quests granted but it's not all kill quests like you claim. A mix of Kill, Collection and Fedex quests is what almost every other quest grinder MMO has at it's core from WoW on down.

Although I do agree that it's a pretty standard free to play fare there are far worse ones out there. I'd give this game about a 6/10 because as you stated it is a little short in the graphics and sound departments. They spent just about all of their art budget on the avatars and clothing it looks like so the actual game world leaves a lot to be desired. This game has about 2010 quality avatars in a 2005 quality rendered world. The sound on the other hand is kinda wierd. It seems they did an excellent job on most of the battle sounds but the character voices and music can get a little tiresome.

Overall it sounds like you went into this game with the mindset that you were going to hate it and guess what? You did. This game is certainly nothing special when it comes to the actual game play but it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

User Deleted
3/31/13 3:35:08 PM#4

If it's a quest grinder with primarilly Kill x mobs quests...it should be widely popular because there was a thread here recntly that clearly indicated that players at this site just LOVE mob grinding and Kill x mobs quests fit into their mindless gameplay perfectly.

Sure, they may have to hand in a quest now and then, but it will give them some down time that they seem to love so much.

Waterlily

Apprentice Member

OP  3/31/13 5:46:48 PM#5
Originally posted by Psychow

If it's a quest grinder with primarilly Kill x mobs quests...it should be widely popular because there was a thread here recntly that clearly indicated that players at this site just LOVE mob grinding and Kill x mobs quests fit into their mindless gameplay perfectly.

Sure, they may have to hand in a quest now and then, but it will give them some down time that they seem to love so much.

game isn't really grindy, it's quest grindy and the gameplay is bad

there is both a good and a bad grind

free2play

Hard Core Member

3/31/13 9:50:34 PM#6

If the objective is to just level cap, so far I have found looking for stuff 4 levels above me and just farming it is getting me there faster. The way quests happen, you will be facing things your level. You won't get the quest until you are at that level. +4 level farming gets you double exper and the quest exper reward is canceled out in 5 or 6 kills.

The down side to this, for me at least is the loot table is pretty thin but I don't know if that's a beta thing or if they just don't plan on having a lot in the loot table. In my ideal game I tend to farm loot and crafting mats and just level by accident. I like the progression system in this game. I don't feel like I'm logging to a job.

free2play

Hard Core Member

4/01/13 9:10:12 PM#7
Originally posted by Brenelael

Overall it sounds like you went into this game with the mindset that you were going to hate it and guess what? You did. This game is certainly nothing special when it comes to the actual game play but it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Bren

In that respect, Scarlet Blade did something I respect.

Forum trolls and rage monsters run around looking for things to hate on and Scarlet Blade flilled the plate high with things for them to rage about, side rails required. I hope they add that to the loot table. sys: you have aquired 1 unit of troll bait.

Calden

Novice Member

4/11/13 10:04:02 PM#8

Terrible review clearly showing you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

PvP happens in PvP Zones and Arenas. If you did not see the "strategy" there was during arenas, I can't blame you but there is and not getting it probably left you with very low ranks.

I started playing this game for a laugh, found to actually like it after a few level. The biggest downside at the moment, in my opinion, are those:

1. Balance between FK and RG (two factions)
  2. Tab targetting working very poorly
  3. Influence of item shop
  4. No profession
  5. Need new content !
Beside those points, the game is fun. People are nice (most of the players I know on this game are girls strangely enough... Probably help with the atmosphere, maybe girls are less likely to troll than guys). You can easily grind your way through level getting good loot sometimes, just like old grindy MMORPG. A point I really liked also is that a level 25 can beat down a level 29 by using his mech.
  birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

4/11/13 10:54:08 PM#9
Originally posted by Waterlily

This is my critical and completely unprofessional review.

I am a lvl 23 defender if you would like to know (max lvl is lvl 43 or something)

I guess this game attracts mainly guys because of the scandily clad women, but fear not girls and boys, any excitement will soon be over once you start playing this garbage.

Graphics: 5/10

It's a game that looks like a game that should have been released 3 to 4 years ago. It has a lot of washed out textures, the models are really bad, it only supports DX9. It doesn't look terrible and the futuristic looks has a charm to it, but it's nothing special.

Sound / music: 7/10

There's a lot of voice acting which is really nice, but the music is repetitive, sounds are clunky.

Gameplay: 1/10

What a horrible gameplay, MY GOD. The game is a quest grinder, and when I say quest grinder, I mean quest grinder. Imagine WoW and take out all the interesting quests until you have only the kill quests left and you pretty much have the gameplay of Scarlet Blade. You will be doing kill quests the whole time.

The abilities are all spam abilities that you chain non-stop, you will be soloing in this game since no one bothers to group because you can defeat everything solo, up till lvl 23 at least. At least in games like Rift, WoW, Vanguard and Vindictus, each time I played a tank role I had something else than 4 spam attacks after 23 levels. In scarlet blade all you get is spam attacks that do dps, the only difference between them is that they have a different timer, you run up to a mob, spam, do a heal potion and move to the next one. No charges, no shield blocks, no dodges, no special attacks, no decent AE, no riposte, just spam clicking all the way through the game.

PVP, I thought PVE was bad, PVP only happens in arenas, it is nothing more than an empty arena where 20 people from one side storm 20 people from the other side, and spam each other by clicking their buttons. There are no tactics, no real goals outside of a tower you destroy in the first minute and then it's spam time for 10 minutes, that is if you are not half asleep by then or putting your fingers in ice because you just got RSI.

You're also forced to participate in those PVP fights since you'll need the silver medal for gear, and you'll need the xp to pull you over from lvl to lvl, otherwise you run out of quests and mob xp is almost non-existent.

Gameplay is incredibly bad.

Overall score: 3/10

Your math is off, its 4/10.

Athena_Starfire

Advanced Member

UH! Whats this lever do?

4/11/13 11:54:50 PM#10

Well, ganeplay and fun was never a consideration for the game.

The game is aimed at hormone-bombed straight male teenagers, budding lesbians, pedophiles that like 12 year old looking girl avatars, dirty old men and dirty old lesbians (<- ME)

You put up with the game game play because

You need level 17 to unlock the boob view.

You need level 21 to go modify gear and dance naked (if you can call it nudity with the massively censored crotch area)

Overall Rating: 1/10

T&A Rating: 8/10

Cheers