Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Elder Scrolls Online | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,928 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,099
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/16/99)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Everquest Forum » Hogcaller Inn (General) » Why EQ was and STILL is the way to go!

6 posts found
  Budahka

Novice Member

OP  4/19/12 8:26:07 AM#1

Ok so maybe this is a rant, just my thoughts, or even preaching. Let me just start out by saying that it's been 8 years since i've played Everquest and man am I glad to be back. If nothing else maybe you'll find this an interesting read while you're at work/school or w/e.

Like alot of the rest of you i've bounced from MMO to MMO in search for the fun that I used to experience with Ultima Online and Everquest (If you're currently old enough to remember those good times anyway). I have come to the conclusion that it just really isn't out there and i'm not sure if it will be anytime in the near future. Everything has been so dumbed down from the start of WoW to NoW (haha get it?! :\ ) that it's nothing like before.

I found out what it meant to fight a yellow con'd mob again upon jumping back in to EQ. It doesn't mean I lose alot or most of my health, it means I die a horrible and painful death because my Monk isn't skilled enough to stand up to his level. I can't touch that mobs awesomeness because im a lowbie and that's how it should be.

Where has the questing gone with today's MMO's seriously? Between waypoints, glowy hand-holding trails (yes I know Everquest now has an "optional" one), and blink dots on mini-maps we have lost reason to stop and ask for directions or simply set out on our own quest to find who or what we are searching for.

Everything is easy mode now. It's all about your gear and not about the quest. I can't believe I am saying this but I MISS camping a mob for a day or two (or what would be a week now because I do have a life lol) for ONE item on my 3 month long quest to get my epic. That's right I said it. I miss that true feeling of accomplishment, back when you had to fight tooth and nail and seek help from a friend(s) to journey into the darkest pits where death awaited you at every corner. I don't want your dungeon finder WoW. I don't want to run the same heroic dungeon over and over getting some meaningless in game currency to buy a epic item from a vendor who magically has the best items in the game world.

While I will agree that Everquest has put in place some things I wish they wouldn't have since 2000 (Like negating a Ranger's tracking ability with yellow glowy find trail lol), it's still a heck of alot better than anything out right now. So why are MMO's so crappy now? Why is everything so dumbed down?

Because most of us are dumb. That's the plain and simple fact about it. Now i'm not a genious by any means, but I miss the thought that used to be required to play games like Everquest because things weren't handed to you. The Quest felt like it did go on forever, and I miss that. The D&D mentality is mostly gone. We only see remnants from it's creation in todays MMO.

I don't want to get on a MMO for 30 minutes and feel like I saved the world again. I would rather not get on at all until I have some time to sit down during the week and actually make a little progress on a massive quest.

Everquest was one of those game changers that had the potential to lead into some of the best gaming ever. I haft to say though I am thoroughly dissappointed with the direction our current gaming companies have taken it.

I am glad to be back and enjoying every minute of it. This was and still is an MMO worth my money each month. If only I could say the same for some of the others...

pierth

Novice Member

4/19/12 8:40:21 AM#2

Preface: I currently play and enjoy EQ1 (at least up to Kunark )

Having said that, this thread does nothing more than incite those who'd disagree. It's nothing but opinion and hyperbole. On top of that, no one takes a poster seriously when their account is made same day- it reeks of someone that made an alt account just to start some forum PvP.

Budahka

Novice Member

OP  4/19/12 8:43:57 AM#3
Originally posted by pierth

Having said that, this thread does nothing more than incite those who'd disagree. It's nothing but opinion and hyperbole. On top of that, no one takes a poster seriously when their account is made same day- it reeks of someone that made an alt account just to start some forum PvP.

I didn't make it to "incite" anyone. If you disagree that's fine. I honestly couldn't care less. I've surfed the forums here a long time but never made an account. I'm sorry if my newness offends you.

eyeswideopen

Tipster

4/19/12 8:48:10 AM#4
Originally posted by pierth

If he was looking to "incite" anything, he'd state that everything he said is fact and would also not have started by saying his post is a "rant". The man posted his feelings about the game and his opinion of the current state of the genre it's in. I myself see nothing wrong with it and agree with many points.

Edit: And seriously, the whole "post count" thing died years ago. you don't need hundreds of posts before your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
-And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Denambren

Hard Core Member

4/19/12 8:54:36 AM#5

There are still some really classic MUDs out there that continue to punish curious players by limiting their advancement through repeated deaths and the dealth penalty.

Everyone has different tastes, and I won't pass judgement on you making a new account just to advertise Everquest on this forum. So let me add to this thread by saying that anyone who shares the original poster's sentiment about the "punish curiosity" old school style of MUDs, rather than the new design of encouraging exploration or experimentation, you can not only find Everquest out there, but a ton of really, really old MUDs that continue to do things the same way they did since the first manifestations of electronic "roll dice - hit/miss" were developed online.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

4/19/12 8:54:37 AM#6
Originally posted by Budahka
This was and still is an MMO worth my money each month. If only I could say the same for some of the others...

Why?  If you've got the lifetime home, there's no need to look at the others. Enjoy!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.