Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Firefall | Landmark

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,866 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,226,133
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/16/99)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

18 posts found
  barhoom

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/27/05
Posts: 29

 
OP  7/25/09 4:13:14 AM#1

anyone playing in EQ mac . I am thinking to start playing there since it closet to classic EQ can be atm. but what holding me back is cant get any of my friends to start with me. and  still waiting on eq classic  .

I was woundering if anyone still playing can tell me how is it there. coumminty . finding grp. is there eough euro players. finding good euro guild etc. less played classes.

 

for who doesnt know different btween EQmac and EQ pc

Al'Kabor - The EQMac Server. The EQMac server is so different from standard EQPC servers that it counts as a special rules server. Generally speaking: EQMac is EQ as it was in October 2002 and as close to EQ 'classic' as exists on an official SOE server. Differences include:

* Original zones: Freeport, Plane of Mischief, Plane of Hate, EC, Oasis.
* Original spells: generally EQMac spells have longer cast/recast/fizzle times and lower damage.
* Original mob graphics.
* The Sleeper still sleeps.
* No mini-map. Old Bazaar.
* Additionally EQMac's version of the Planes of Power uses the old non-nerfed version of the major PoP mobs and requires that every member of the raid be 'flagged' to move on to the next plane (EQPC currently requires only 85% 'flagging'. Making planar progression significantly harder than the current version of EQ PoP

  Luran

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/10/04
Posts: 6

7/26/09 2:10:52 PM#2

 I played EQ Mac briefly a couple of years when I first got my Mac Mini. I already had Station Access, so all it cost me was the download.

Okay, the Mac Mini isn't that great a machine, but considering the age of the client, the specs are well above those of machines when the game was launched. However, the age of the client is a major problem, as it was written for PPC Macs, not Intel ones. This means it has to run under emulation, and thus slows it right down. A top of the range iMac might do a better job of it, but the underlying problem is still the same.

The community, from I saw, was great. This is because it's so small, every one knows everyone else. Also bear in mind, the game hasn't been updated since PoP, and most of those who still play will have an army of level 65s as they've had nothing else to do. The chances of these leveling up an alt from scratch are slim. 

When I played, people were arranging groups days in advance, just so they knew they'd wouldn't waste their time sitting in PoK LFG.

I'm not sure what part of Europe you're in, but I'm in the UK, and I'm the only Mac owner I know in RL. Out of my virtual Mac buddies, I'm the only one who plays games. So, doing some simple maths: the likelihood of enough Europeans playing a 5 year old game, on a platform not renowned for gamers is pretty much zero.

I remember doing a /who 1-50 all (didn't go higher, didn't seem worth it), and after taking a few Bazaar mules, the result was in single figures.

  hauj0bb

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/29/04
Posts: 153

7/26/09 11:19:14 PM#3
Originally posted by Luran

 I played EQ Mac briefly a couple of years when I first got my Mac Mini. I already had Station Access, so all it cost me was the download.

Okay, the Mac Mini isn't that great a machine, but considering the age of the client, the specs are well above those of machines when the game was launched. However, the age of the client is a major problem, as it was written for PPC Macs, not Intel ones. This means it has to run under emulation, and thus slows it right down. A top of the range iMac might do a better job of it, but the underlying problem is still the same.

The community, from I saw, was great. This is because it's so small, every one knows everyone else. Also bear in mind, the game hasn't been updated since PoP, and most of those who still play will have an army of level 65s as they've had nothing else to do. The chances of these leveling up an alt from scratch are slim. 

When I played, people were arranging groups days in advance, just so they knew they'd wouldn't waste their time sitting in PoK LFG.

I'm not sure what part of Europe you're in, but I'm in the UK, and I'm the only Mac owner I know in RL. Out of my virtual Mac buddies, I'm the only one who plays games. So, doing some simple maths: the likelihood of enough Europeans playing a 5 year old game, on a platform not renowned for gamers is pretty much zero.

I remember doing a /who 1-50 all (didn't go higher, didn't seem worth it), and after taking a few Bazaar mules, the result was in single figures.

I currently play on Al'Kabor as a level 65 shaman. We currently have about 400-500 active players, which is not too terrible but not awesome either. The second guild in progression is actually an EU guild (Destiny, lots of active players), who is currently farming VT. I have been playing on the mac server since about November, and absolutely love it. In fact I purchased a mac just to play on this server.

The top guild in progression right now is Termerity, who recently gained access to the elemental planes. Few pre-time gods have been killed on our server .. I'm not sure who has been killed past rallos zek (needed to gain access to the elementals).

  Goldknyght

Novice Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 1562

It''s one thing to have a opinion, but enforcing one is unconstitutional.

7/27/09 10:16:48 AM#4

 What class is the most needed on the server?

  barhoom

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/27/05
Posts: 29

 
OP  7/28/09 8:29:46 AM#5

does G4 run EQ mac better then latest mini mac??

  hauj0bb

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/29/04
Posts: 153

7/28/09 2:03:18 PM#6

We could use any class really, lol. I'd say Rogues are probably the most under represented.

  hauj0bb

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/29/04
Posts: 153

7/28/09 2:07:11 PM#7

Depends on the G4. Any intel mac will use an application called 'Rosetta' to run EQ through because EQ was originally developed for PPC (G4 era) architecture. Rosetta is an emulator, it can affect performance. I would say the latest mac mini will experience some lag, but not a lot and definitely not enough to make it unplayable. A top-notch G4 will play EQ better, however.

  baphamet

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2639

110100100

9/25/12 6:00:54 PM#8

yes i know i necro'ed this thread but i was going to make a topic about it so i figured i would just bump this once since it has recently became free to play.

like the OP said, this is the only official classic EQ server you can play on.

its also very possible to play it on a PC, not sure if its totally legal to do it but i have heard that you will not get banned for it even if they find out.

but just to be safe, i wont post instructions on how to install it on your PC but its not hard to figure out with just a little searching.

so is anyone else playing this currently? i am having a lot of fun boxing a ranger and a shaman at the moment, thinking about bringing in a third but i am still trying to get used to EQ again.

  Nadia

Elite Member

Joined: 7/26/03
Posts: 11430

9/25/12 7:06:30 PM#9
does eq mac have class unlocks too?
  baphamet

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2639

110100100

9/25/12 9:30:05 PM#10


Originally posted by Nadia
does eq mac have class unlocks too?

nah, its totally F2P with no restrictions.

  CasualMaker

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/06
Posts: 856

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

9/26/12 12:27:18 PM#11

I was cleaning a lot of scrap paper off my desk the other day, and found my PC installation instuctions. It started with installing the Titanium Edition client, then modifying it. I think I recall that the latest launcher for EQ Mac is Intel-only, they stopped supporting the Power PCs.

My 3 characters are all low level (highest is 10 or 11). Unlike PC EQ, you really want a character that sees in the dark. I made a human ranger at first and had so much trouble getting in and out of Surefall Glade with that dinky candle that I finally gave up and remade the character as a half elf. Getting the parts for the newbie ranger armor (don't you love rare drops off uncommon spawns?) was also such a pain that I finished the outfit on the Kelethin pattern.

  Daneril

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/22/07
Posts: 39

10/08/12 2:42:49 PM#12
I can't wait for EQclassic anymore. Going to get a mac as soon as possible!

  baphamet

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2639

110100100

10/09/12 11:06:17 PM#13


Originally posted by Daneril
I can't wait for EQclassic anymore. Going to get a mac as soon as possible!

as i said before,you don't need a mac to play this. although you can get a really cheep mac to play it anyways so i guess it doesn't matter too much.

  Arclan

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 1/29/07
Posts: 1360

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

10/11/12 5:05:48 PM#14

I really should google that PC client thingie. Would love to play this server, where the lighting works as intended (rather than giving everyone better-than-ultravision, like current EQ does).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

  wilund

Novice Member

Joined: 10/15/06
Posts: 8

10/11/12 6:31:34 PM#15
Rough Guide to play EQMAC on PC ( Tested on Windows 7 64bit)
1. Fresh Install of EQ Titanium
2. Take contests of fresh EQ Titanium installation folder and put them into an empty C:\EQMac folder
3. Unzip contents of Secret's patch zip that can be found here http://fileb.ag/0ei29cadn4k7 into C:/EQMac overwriting anything it asks to.
4. Download EQMac via the Web Launchpad 3 http://launch.soe.com/lp3/index.html...skin=everquest
5. Take contents of the Resources folder from the EQMac Launchpad download and copy them INTO C:\EQMac, overwrite anything it asks ( will be a lot )
6. Change desktop to 16bit, run eqw.exe and make sure to check the box for Fix EQclinit.ini

Note* if you want the newer UI, edit eqclient.ini and change newui=FALSE to TRUE, other settings can be changed in eqclient.ini also, like new / old PC models, etc.
  CasualMaker

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/06
Posts: 856

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

10/12/12 12:11:53 PM#16
Originally posted by wilund
Rough Guide to play EQMAC on PC ( Tested on Windows 7 64bit)
1. Fresh Install of EQ Titanium
2. Take contests of fresh EQ Titanium installation folder and put them into an empty C:\EQMac folder
3. Unzip contents of Secret's patch zip that can be found here http://fileb.ag/0ei29cadn4k7 into C:/EQMac overwriting anything it asks to.
4. Download EQMac via the Web Launchpad 3 http://launch.soe.com/lp3/index.html...skin=everquest
5. Take contents of the Resources folder from the EQMac Launchpad download and copy them INTO C:\EQMac, overwrite anything it asks ( will be a lot )
6. Change desktop to 16bit, run eqw.exe and make sure to check the box for Fix EQclinit.ini

Note* if you want the newer UI, edit eqclient.ini and change newui=FALSE to TRUE, other settings can be changed in eqclient.ini also, like new / old PC models, etc.

I leave the desktop as 32bit; it works fine for me. Run the client fixer the first time aound, you can uncheck it after that. No matter how much memory your system has, the setup won't let you check more than 2 Luclin models. So after completing the setup, I shut the game down and manually editted the .ini to turn on all the models, enable Velious textures, etc.

  Arclan

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 1/29/07
Posts: 1360

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

10/12/12 1:44:11 PM#17

A w e s o m e !! Glad I have titanium disks borrowed from a friend. Silly me went against my usual policy of 'never throwing stuff out' and threw out numerous sets of titanium when I thought I wouldn't play EQ again. Ugg. Those are worth $$ now (and I could use one of my own!)

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

  gakule

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/07
Posts: 92

12/16/12 11:08:52 AM#18
You can get all luclin models by pressing enter instead if next on the options screen