Trending Games | Landmark | The Crew | WildStar | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,857 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,219
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » who thinks star citizen will be a beast?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
131 posts found
  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

2/22/14 8:13:26 PM#21

Apples and oranges, once again....

I can understand people not having played CR's old games, or even EVE Online...but even a short glimpse of both concepts is enough to realize, and let me use a naive but selfexplanatory example here.

For Star Citizen you will need a Flightstick setup at least, or a Gamepad, perhaps an Oculus Rift too, or a Track IR, but for EVE, you only need a mouse and a keyboard.

For Star Citizen you will need to muster lots of Adrenaline, whereas for EVE, a lot of Patience.

Apples and oranges....simple as that.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Azzras

Apprentice Member

One Shot, Two Kills.

2/22/14 8:21:55 PM#22

I'm a backer.  Should turn out to be a good game when it releases. (projected release date is 2015).

In the meantime, play around with my ships in the hanger module.  The dog fighting module will release soon, that will be fun.

Overall, can't wait.

Minsc

Advanced Member

2/28/14 1:26:45 AM#23

First version of dogfighting module will be shown at pax east in april. after that the game can no longer be considered vapourware. Also first 10 missions of SP campaign releasing in fall/winter of this year so this year we will see a lot of progress on the actual game as all of the work that has been going on for the past 6-8 months will be nearing completion.

Many people seem to fail to realize that most games are in production for 2 years before they are even announced so there are much farther along in development. With Star Citizen and many other kickstarter games you are seeing the game WELL before it is ready for public display. Just keep that in mind.

Agricola1

Apprentice Member

"The one you call messiah is a lie"--- Gary Numan

3/16/14 11:23:09 AM#24

One misconception I believe has been made that I'd like to clear up is that there will be 2 games,

1. "Squadron 42" single player with multi player options.

2. "Star Citizen" multiplayer in a persistent universe.

If you complete SQ 42 you gain citizenship in SC. CIG will be downloading expansions to SQ 42 after release, expanding the campaign further. These expansions shall affect and be affected by the persistent universe.

If you want to know more check out their youtube channel and website.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

free2play

Advanced Member

3/20/14 1:32:56 PM#25

It's Freelancer Online to me. If you can buy it you can fly it.

More to the question, lets be crazy generous and suppose there are 600K in EVE at the time of SC Launch. It would be in the benefit of SC to encourage those 600K to stay right where they are, be happy in EVE and move forward. It's the millions who have tried EVE, wanted a space game but didn't find what they wanted in EVE Online that SC should be looking at. SC can be the Game EVE Online wasn't, not the game EVE Online is.

DocBrody

Advanced Member

3/22/14 11:45:50 AM#26

this game will have everything I ever wanted from a space sim

massively multiplayer universe -- CHECK

territory control and hardcore PvP star systems -- CHECK

epic PvE missions -- CHECK

space trading, cargo and passenger transporting -- CHECK

player *and* NPC driven economy -- CHECK

capturing ships -- CHECK

mulitcrew ships -- CHECK

epic single player campaign like Wing Commander IV -- CHECK

celebrity voice acting and motion capturing, cinematic cutscenes -- CHECK

procedural generation -- CHECK

Ground based FPS missions and ship boarding -- CHECK

what else could I need, it will have everything and they have the budget, and Chris Roberts is a guarantee for the most epic space

sim one can imagine. This guy is driven by his own goals to make his game a reality.

Gdemami

Elite Member

3/22/14 11:47:43 AM#27

People can't make a difference between a promise and real thing...

DocBrody

Advanced Member

3/22/14 11:50:27 AM#28
Originally posted by Gdemami

People can't make a difference between a promise and real thing...

I never played a bad Chris Roberts game. If anyone can do it, he is the one.

If he just makes a modern "Privateer" and adds the online component -> done

Arglebargle

Elite Member

3/22/14 12:34:44 PM#29

You, the general 'Cult of Roberts' crew, and Roberts himself, all have an attitude reminiscent of the later era Napoleon.   'All I have to do is show up to gain the victory.'  Sadly, Chris Roberts has nowhere near the genius of Napolean.   I expect the game to be fully as good as his decade long string of mediocre to bad Hollywood films.  

His games rose and fell with the strength of his production crew.  Better hope he hired well. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

DocBrody

Advanced Member

3/22/14 12:44:04 PM#30
Originally posted by Arglebargle

You, the general 'Cult of Roberts' crew, and Roberts himself, all have an attitude reminiscent of the later era Napoleon.   'All I have to do is show up to gain the victory.'  Sadly, Chris Roberts has nowhere near the genius of Napolean.   I expect the game to be fully as good as his decade long string of mediocre to bad Hollywood films.  

His games rose and fell with the strength of his production crew.  Better hope he hired well. 

are you trolling? So, to say I liked previous CR games and I simply want a new one, and trust him he is able to deliver that, means "following the cult of Roberts"?

That´s a quite idiotic statement.

And the movies have nothing to do with his game design skills. Didn´t even find Wing Commander a bad movie, it was just a movie for fans of the WIng Commnader series, not more and not less. The cast choice could have been better but it was not a big budget movie like Star Wars.

Gdemami

Elite Member

3/22/14 12:46:37 PM#31

Originally posted by DocBrody

That's what I said - blindfolded, detached from reality.

DocBrody

Advanced Member

3/22/14 12:54:34 PM#32
Originally posted by Gdemami

That's what I said - blindfolded, detached from reality.

yeah right, it´s IMPOSSIBLE to make a Privateer type space sim in 2014. Absolutely detached from reality X,-))

40 million Dollars and a team of 215 simply can´t make it.

Approximately 400 000 people who backed this game would disagree

User Deleted
3/22/14 12:55:03 PM#33
Originally posted by Arglebargle

are you trolling? So, to say I liked previous CR games and I simply want a new one, and trust him he is able to deliver that, means "following the cult of Roberts"?

That´s a quite idiotic statement.

And the movies have nothing to do with his game design skills. Didn´t even find Wing Commander a bad movie, it was just a movie for fans of the WIng Commnader series, not more and not less. The cast choice could have been better but it was not a big budget movie like Star Wars.

Well excluding Lord of War and Freelancer he hasn't really done anything of note in the last decade so while you may be quick to praise him people of a more cautious nature will hang back and ask what if. That said neither of you are wrong just that both have different views and while I know CR is a good developer he still has to deliver because you do not judge the artist you judge the art.

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

3/22/14 12:59:12 PM#34

The developer has not done anything worthwhile in modern days so all we have is his old work.By now day standards his old work gives me a gut feeling this game is way over rated and will be a dud.

However my mindset is the same of Eve,i might think a game is technically and design wise a dud but does not mean others won't like it in drones.

Of course way too early to give any remote kind of rating but since people actually based backing it on a total whim ,i should be able to rate it under the same criteria.My gut says i will be rating this game a 2-3/10.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

grndzro

Hard Core Member

3/22/14 2:01:27 PM#35

All you nay sayers are gonna be eating words. SC development single handedly changed the Cryengine.

There are already vids of the new AI at work with collision detection.

So much new ground is being broken with SC it is mind boggling. There is an updated SC vid with the new content projections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPF83lOBtIY

You critics need to look into the game more. It is going to be a game of godlike proportions. There is no warning signs or smoke surrounding the development. If anything the transparency is very refreshing.

SirBalin

Warmonger

3/22/14 2:14:51 PM#36

I was pumped for it...but a few things have really turned me off.  First, the sim was suppose to be up in Dec, then they said it wouldn't be the full sim, just the single player sim, now that's pushed all the way out to April.  I get things happen, but the amount of money that they have gotten from kickstarter...eh..I expected more.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.  If your entire clan wants to go do something, you can't because the minimum they have set for ships in one zone.  Lot of concerns for me, I think the game will have some good things, obviously graphics, however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

Colt47

Apprentice Member

3/22/14 2:35:25 PM#37
Originally posted by SirBalin

I was pumped for it...but a few things have really turned me off.  First, the sim was suppose to be up in Dec, then they said it wouldn't be the full sim, just the single player sim, now that's pushed all the way out to April.  I get things happen, but the amount of money that they have gotten from kickstarter...eh..I expected more.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.  If your entire clan wants to go do something, you can't because the minimum they have set for ships in one zone.  Lot of concerns for me, I think the game will have some good things, obviously graphics, however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

If you think that pushing back deadlines is cause for doubting the quality of the work going into the game, you haven't the foggiest how the software industry works.   More money does not equate faster production time: It means they have more time to get things done right.

DocBrody

Advanced Member

3/22/14 2:41:25 PM#38

It is shocking how people think more money = less development time

it simply is not true, you can put more ressources into a project but it still couldn´t be finished in 1 months even with a billion dollars. A lot more stuff than originally planned will now be in the release version, e.g. the ship boarding.

Also what you say about delays is not true, it was ALWAYS clear, the single player/co-op campaign alpha Squadron 42 comes first, then a few months later the persistant universe. Both was moved a few months, ok - 3 months later than originally planned, woohoo. Project schedules change.

The only thing they moved a few months was the multiplayer demo, as they wrote an entire new server backend for Cryengine. But they only did after making a community poll, and the poll was in favor of the delay instead of using the built in backend of Cryengine. 400K people stormed the Alpha slots so far, you can´t do that without a proper server backend.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.

100 player ships per SEAMLESS instance visible on screen is more than "a few". Don´t know what you expect at that level of visual quality.

however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

get informed ?

Gdemami

Elite Member

3/22/14 2:45:16 PM#39

Originally posted by grndzro

All you nay sayers are gonna be eating words. SC development single handedly changed the Cryengine.

There are already vids of the new AI at work with collision detection.

So much new ground is being broken with SC it is mind boggling. There is an updated SC vid with the new content projections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPF83lOBtIY

You critics need to look into the game more. It is going to be a game of godlike proportions. There is no warning signs or smoke surrounding the development. If anything the transparency is very refreshing.

You realize that there is no game, no showcase of any features you praise so much?

It is all just a ridiculous mountain of promises.

Anyone can promise you anything, to deliver is entirely different matter.

sugarbear78664

Novice Member

3/22/14 3:00:50 PM#40
I have giving up on the idea of the Next great thing, it is 1 disappointment right after another. Come on devs , surprise me????
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search