Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,454 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,831
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » Star Citizen in not an mmo..so why,

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
28 posts found
  Katilla

Novice Member

"Who needs reality....i have a good game right here..."

2/27/14 8:23:33 AM#21
Originally posted by RefMinor
Originally posted by Aegis30

So why is it on MMORPG?  Even the devs say it's not an mmo.  It will be heavily instanced, and combat will be more a team deathmatch, than open world.  You can even turn pvp totally off if you like.

Just not quite sure why this game is posted here.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Citizen

You must feel really strongly about this subject to have made it your 5th post in your 7 years here.

hahahahaha....niiice one :P

Kaijin2k3

Novice Member

2/27/14 8:58:41 AM#22

I don't really care much about SC, as this post was just on the home page. If you're curious as to the requirements this site has for a game to be listed, they can be found on the site's FAQs (though admittedly, I found them in their "How do I submit this game to be added," sort of question); if someone has a better page, please link that =)

The important bits are these, #2-5 on the list:

"

• The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.
  • The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.
  • The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).
  • The game must contain some form of advancement.
"

I'm sure they make exceptions for big games as well, especially if it does attract a large portion of interest from the user base.

Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

2/27/14 12:17:04 PM#23
Originally posted by Volkmar
Originally posted by Phaserlight

Yes, All players play in the same "shard" like in EVE.

[...]

It is not misleading in the least.

ALL players are in the same server. If there is a /whisper command, you can talk with anyone out there you know by handle. Of course you cannot put all the players in the same physical space, that is nothing new and most MMO do not allow this either.

Also player actions will affect everyone else out there. Buy enough of X and the price of X will rise for everyone.

Seeing a player's Avatar rendered on screen in the same digital space and chatting with the player are not the same thing.  Affecting another player indirectly through economic means and firing weaponry at the player are not the same thing.  I can chat with other players playing Tetris through IRC, but I wouldn't compare Tetris with Eve.  You could have compared SC to WoW or a host of other popular MMOs, but you picked Eve which is notable because it allows all players to congregate in the same physical space should they so choose (same thing with Vendetta Online, actually).  The server might become impacted, but this is very different from a game that splits players into phases or instances.  Writing that Star Citizen will allow players to play together "like in EVE" is misleading.

edit: I'm not trying to anti-hype here, and I realize the game is a ways from being released.  However, it seems like you are implying things similar to the battle of B-R5RB will be possible in Star Citizen as planned.  Is this the case?

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

3/03/14 1:36:37 PM#24

Thanks for informing me of this. I saw this game on the game list here, and assumed it was a MMO, because of that alone.

But it isnt.

Volkmar

Novice Member

3/06/14 7:29:42 AM#25

Yes, All players play in the same "shard" like in EVE.

[...]

It is not misleading in the least.

ALL players are in the same server. If there is a /whisper command, you can talk with anyone out there you know by handle. Of course you cannot put all the players in the same physical space, that is nothing new and most MMO do not allow this either.

Also player actions will affect everyone else out there. Buy enough of X and the price of X will rise for everyone.

Seeing a player's Avatar rendered on screen in the same digital space and chatting with the player are not the same thing.  Affecting another player indirectly through economic means and firing weaponry at the player are not the same thing.  I can chat with other players playing Tetris through IRC, but I wouldn't compare Tetris with Eve.  You could have compared SC to WoW or a host of other popular MMOs, but you picked Eve which is notable because it allows all players to congregate in the same physical space should they so choose (same thing with Vendetta Online, actually).  The server might become impacted, but this is very different from a game that splits players into phases or instances.  Writing that Star Citizen will allow players to play together "like in EVE" is misleading.

edit: I'm not trying to anti-hype here, and I realize the game is a ways from being released.  However, it seems like you are implying things similar to the battle of B-R5RB will be possible in Star Citizen as planned.  Is this the case?

I mentioned EVE and not WoW because WoW has multiple servers and EVE does not. Star Citizen also has a single Server so it is more similar in my mind to that than a more traditional multiple server approach. ESO uses the same approach as well or a similar one.

you might notice I said "Play in the same shard" not " play all together in the same place". We still do not know exactly how SC will handle massive amount of players in the same place. We know instances are involved, but if these are copies of the same map or instead dynamic areas resizing themselves depending on number of players or something else is unknown, but yes... You can meet any player ever that is playing the game assuming he is online, you find where in the universe he is and you put him on your list of persons of interests. Few other MMO can claim as much even if cross server techologoy is growing nowadays.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

- My New World of Darkness Tabletop RPG Blog:
http://realmofroleplay.com/?cat=19

Chtuga

Novice Member

3/09/14 7:11:43 AM#26

Ofcourse this game is a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game.

As for instancing, well every game has instances. They just call it "servers" or zones" or "instances". No game can ever fit all players into the same spot, unless its sold to very few people.

As for the instance size, they simply have said that they are working on the number of people in each instance. Without promising too much like some other games constantly do. 

Love it or hate it - It does not matter, the game is funded and whatever your opinion is this is one of few games where we know they will be open for decades after the game has launched.

Not many other games can promise us that!

benseine

Novice Member

3/11/14 12:29:48 PM#27

Hey Chtuga, nice to see you :)

Yeah ofc it is. It has 300k alpha testers that will play in 1 persistent universe. Sure it's instanced but so are many other mmo's. I remember in Age of Conan in it's prime and it had 36 instances in Keshatta :D You can't turn pvp off 100% just adjust the matchmaking so to speak. But to stay on topic here there are mmorpg's here that are 100% pve, like Final Fantasy. 

So this game might be a bit unusual to some, but that is the main reason why I'm so excited about this game. Something new :)

screecwe

Advanced Member

3/12/14 1:12:57 AM#28

Too many people seem to be unable to separate the MMO from MMORPG. 

Star Citizen is absolutely an MMO. 

2 Pages « 1 2 Search