Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,397 Users Online:0
Games:752  Posts:6,271,943
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous?

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search
188 posts found
  Gdemami

Elite Member

2/19/14 5:38:01 AM#121

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by PumaClipper Elite: Dangerous isn't boring computer generated, I suggest you read the FAQ
I agree with you. I've changed my mind - I'm now financially backing both Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

I'm still a cynic - I doubt they will be perfect, but I'm fed up with big corporations copying successful ideas. 

Eve Valkyrie could be good, but CCP's modular approach to gaming is ultimately restricting.

Elite Dangerous is where the real stuff is. People remembering David Braben knows :)

It is a pity that ED isn't getting much attention but that is what happens when you are talented but lack business skills :/

Rexers

Apprentice Member

2/19/14 7:20:55 AM#122

Elite Dangerous looks very...average to me. Which makes me sad. (I just watched the alpha multiplayer footage).

I hope when the whole package comes together it will be better. 

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

2/21/14 4:08:33 PM#123

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by PumaClipper Elite: Dangerous isn't boring computer generated, I suggest you read the FAQ
I agree with you. I've changed my mind - I'm now financially backing both Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

I'm still a cynic - I doubt they will be perfect, but I'm fed up with big corporations copying successful ideas. 

Eve Valkyrie could be good, but CCP's modular approach to gaming is ultimately restricting.

Elite Dangerous is where the real stuff is. People remembering David Braben knows :)

It is a pity that ED isn't getting much attention but that is what happens when you are talented but lack business skills :/

Agreed. Elite currently is looking to be the most promising project to me.

Isn't Valkyrie just a lobby-based multiplayer flick? If that's true I don't see how it will have any chance with sim nuts over SC and ED.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

Mors.Magne

Advanced Member

2/22/14 5:11:44 AM#124

I'm now really, really excited about Elite: Dangerous. I can't remember being so excited about a game before.

There is something very poetic about David Braben starting the whole space sim genre, and coming back decades later with something amazing.

I'm already bought Elite: Dangerous (£35 + £35 for ongoing expansions as well), Star Citizen (£25), I'll be buying Valkyrie, Oculus Rift when it comes out, and something like the Saitek X52 Hotas Flight Controller System Joystick: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Flight-Controller-System-Joystick/dp/B00030GSJY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1393066989&sr=8-11&keywords=joystick

Axxar

Hard Core Member

2/22/14 5:19:47 AM#125

I already bought a Saitek X52 Pro. Just waiting for the games now!

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

TyrianPrime

Novice Member

2/22/14 7:46:54 PM#126

The most rational and logical response from any space sim fan is "Both".

At least this OP didn't use the usual "apple and orange" comparison of the more than 10years EVE, with the pre pre alpha SC.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Astrobia

Novice Member

3/22/14 8:19:09 AM#127

Yep Both.

If both games are looking good support both in their development. If you are wait and see kind of person, if both game review well at release by both. 

Like if you were murder mystery fan would you walk into a book shop, ask the clerk what is the single best murder mystery, by and read only that one book ever? 

Seriously given the cost of a computer to run them on, it's not like videogames are so expensive you can only afford to by one ever. To goal is to build a library of good games and if you a space sim fan it's looking very much like both are worth your money.

Asm0deus

Elite Member

3/22/14 8:35:41 AM#128

I say play both.  Seamless persistent universes...awesome...

....Add in oculus rift and hotas...

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

arieste

Advanced Member

3/22/14 10:54:32 AM#129

Would anyone that's following both games care to give their opinion on which you think will have better PvE aspect?    

As much as these games will obvoiusly have PvP, i'm pretty much a PvE-only player and the one thing that I always felt was lacklustre in EVE was good PvE.   I am not talking necessarily about just having single-player campaign playthrough (sounds like SC has this), but long term and meaningful co-operative PvE.  

Just looking for opinions, not links to stuff, i'm reading up as is.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

Axxar

Hard Core Member

3/23/14 1:59:14 PM#130

I think you will find good PvE in both games. Elite will have mind-boggingly more content through its procedural generation, but Star Citizen will offer a more handcrafted experience through Squadron 42, similar to the games like Wing Commander and Freelancer for which Roberts is so famed. In short I think you can find value in both games. Over time Elite's PvE might start to feel a little generic, so by the time Star Citizen comes out, Squadron 42 could be just the thing. I think SC will have the better setup in terms of PvP since that's not a major focus of Elite.

Solar_Prophet

Elite Member

WAAAGH!

3/23/14 2:11:19 PM#131
Both, but if I absolutely had to pick one I'd go with Elite: Dangerous. Why? Because of the two projects, it's the only one which has anything to show other than pretty spaceship models, and that despite the fact it's working with about 1/10th of the budget. Plus I don't exactly trust Chris Roberts either, as everything he's been involved in post Wing Commander (the games) has ranged from lackluster to pure crap.

MMORPG's are thriving. There are hundreds available today, with different settings, mechanics, and even payment models to suit anyone's gaming needs. If you can't find one to call your own, then the problem isn't the genre... it's YOU.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

3/23/14 2:17:50 PM#132

I have to say I loved Freelancer even if it played arcade-y.

screecwe

Apprentice Member

3/23/14 8:54:25 PM#133
Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
Both, but if I absolutely had to pick one I'd go with Elite: Dangerous. Why? Because of the two projects, it's the only one which has anything to show other than pretty spaceship models, and that despite the fact it's working with about 1/10th of the budget. Plus I don't exactly trust Chris Roberts either, as everything he's been involved in post Wing Commander (the games) has ranged from lackluster to pure crap.

Uhh...you do realize that Elite: Dangerous is being made by a studio that didn't have to worry about ramping up a brand new studio, already has Publisher money ontop of their crowdfunding(soo your 1/10 budget is wrong), and has been in development for 7 years.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

3/24/14 12:32:39 AM#134

Frontier publishes the game themselves.

Maquiame

Elite Member

Power without perception is spiritually useless and of no true value

3/24/14 1:16:57 AM#135
I'll try both but Elite seems more of my thing, especially with that planet landing and animal system they are working on

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

TalonSonOfRichard

Novice Member

5/02/14 5:41:41 AM#136

My real interest was the multiplayer promise of both projects and I backed both projects very early on.

I was really passionate about Star Citizen and backed Elite Dangerous more to be supportive to both projects, given back in the day I played and loved them both. To be honest I was more of an "elite guy" but thought the big bucks of Star Citizen would mean they would come up with the benchmark game.

Over time I've gone off Star Citizen. 

My issue is that while Star Citizen are very good and drumming up funding and creating hype there is a real lack of clarity as to what game they are making.

Under the 'I love space faring games" banner comes a whole range of different player profiles, people who come from games like wow, people who prefer games like EVE, simfans, one player, multiplayer, casual, hardcore, you name it.

In their preoccupation with selling ships Star Citizen appear to be telling every single profile whatever they want to hear, rather than making a choice and being clear about who the core for this game is within the broad category of space faring game. You may think this it's possible to keep everyone happy, or that by having 40 million this will be somehow possible. But personally, and regardless of 40 million funding, I really don't, and instead believe that in the end a lot of people will be somewhere between unsatisfied and very angry, especially given the prices involved for Star Citizen and the money gamers have spent.

While others praise them for being very communicative with the community, (in fact they love to praise themselves for this) for me they dodge the big questions and often just come across like that saleman who says "yes" to every single question, so In the end I've had to disregard the hype, the techno babble, future promises and just decide for myself by reading between the lines as to what game they are making.

This is the conclusion I came to:

They are going to make a great one player game with lots of high quality content, voice actors, mocap, crafted locations etc.

The mulitplayer game will always be lacking by virtue of being relatively small, both in terms of the universe size, instances sizes and player numbers per instance. I dont care what they say or how much money they have because for me it stands to reason you can either go primarily hand crafted locations and use the cryengine to have million polygon ships but end up with small universe, small instances, small player counts - or you go the other way. Yes elite starts off at 32 per instance but I suspect it already has larger instances and numbers per instance will steadily go up, added to which I wont be on a 'map' with a space background tightly bound by invisible barriers and cut scenes, but actual an area where that planet is a real scale physical object out there I can fly to and land seemlessly on etc. 

Also in terms of realsim/whatever you want to call it, flying around in third person using a gamepad is not the kind of game I want to play. And regardless of what they say about this, given they want to/have to by this point keep everyone happy rather than make a choice I think in the end this is what we will be looking at.

Also when I discovered elite, aside from also being visually stunning, will also have it so you are the player not your ship, walk around etc, this was a real game changer for me, especially when you add it to the huge universe, black holes, binary stars  etc etc. 

So in the end because I was looking for a game that is very focused on a particular profile of player rather than one that is trying to be all things to all people (impossible in any case in my view) then the fact they have 40 million funding is actually, for me, a millstone around their neck, and one that it is now too late to do anything about.

Anyway I just wanted to share my thoughts and highlight this lack of clarity issue/wanting to please everyone which, after reading the first 10 pages of this thread in one siting, I noticed no one had really focused on. And the fact that in my view this 40 million so many people are holding  up as some kind of silver bullet to every potential issue, is in my view actually far from it. Perhaps you find this counter-intuitive but seen in this light the 40 million is actually a potentially huge problem that will never go away. And in the end why, as someone interested in a more sharply focused open world, realistic, sandbox multiplayer space faring game I made Elite Dangerous my game of choice. With the real frustration being all the hype from Star Citizen meant it took me a while to work this out.

BMBender

Apprentice Member

5/02/14 5:49:57 AM#137

to the OP. TBH I have no intention of throwing $ at vaporware. If/when there is a product on the market I'll decide then.

TalonSonOfRichard

Novice Member

5/02/14 5:57:14 AM#138
Originally posted by BMBender

to the OP. TBH I have no intention of throwing $ at vaporware. If/when there is a product on the market I'll decide then.

I'm playing elite now. It's already very impressive, visually stunning and in 28 days (May 30th) I'll be playing it in a 20 cubic light year volume as it goes into premium beta.

Also if you did want to wait for both projects to be finished, and its the multiplayer you're interested in, you should know recent comments from Chris Roberts now suggest a 2016 release date as opposed to this year for ED. 

This is easy enough for you to google and confirm.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

5/02/14 4:11:49 PM#139

Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.

For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

TalonSonOfRichard

Novice Member

5/03/14 5:15:34 AM#140
Originally posted by Arglebargle

Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.

For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

Funny you say that because I've now just heard its not 2016, but end of 2016. Ho hum

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search