Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,814 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,157
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » Almost 18 Million on an idea and counting?!?!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  Brenelael

Guide

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

9/15/13 1:47:47 PM#21
Originally posted by Wizardry

Well, i can't speak about all crowd funding games i do know a little of this one and i feel it was a lot of foolish spending.

This guy had literally nothing to show,yet people threw money at him based on what?talk,chatter,promises?

If a stranger asked to borrow 5 bucks 99.9% of the time you say no or ignore him,yet when a stranger like this guy asks for a total handout people give it over,makes little sense.

The gimmicks that go along with this type of funding also annoy me,they are BRIBES,give me more and i will give you better perks than the other players.

I have seen a lot of foolish investments over time and have noticed there are a lot of rich people looking to invest near anything.Point being,if you have a decent product with something to show,chances are you get some funding.Here is where it gets tricky,SC may have some outside funding,you will never know about and still take your free handouts.Also if they don't have any investors,then why would you trust them,if people with lots of money to invest won't ?

Everyone is free to spend their money wherever they want but from my perspective,it seems foolish to fund games unless you have money to burn.

He had a quite impressive Tech demo that he not only showed a very impressive trailer created using it with all in game assets but loaded it up and showed himself actually playing it in real time during the reveal before he asked for one red cent. Literally nothing to show huh? Maybe you should do some research on the subject before you come into a thread and start talking out of your anal orifice.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

9/15/13 2:31:46 PM#22

Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by Wizardry Well, i can't speak about all crowd funding games i do know a little of this one and i feel it was a lot of foolish spending. This guy had literally nothing to show,yet people threw money at him based on what?talk,chatter,promises? If a stranger asked to borrow 5 bucks 99.9% of the time you say no or ignore him,yet when a stranger like this guy asks for a total handout people give it over,makes little sense. The gimmicks that go along with this type of funding also annoy me,they are BRIBES,give me more and i will give you better perks than the other players. I have seen a lot of foolish investments over time and have noticed there are a lot of rich people looking to invest near anything.Point being,if you have a decent product with something to show,chances are you get some funding.Here is where it gets tricky,SC may have some outside funding,you will never know about and still take your free handouts.Also if they don't have any investors,then why would you trust them,if people with lots of money to invest won't ? Everyone is free to spend their money wherever they want but from my perspective,it seems foolish to fund games unless you have money to burn.
He had a quite impressive Tech demo that he not only showed a very impressive trailer created using it with all in game assets but loaded it up and showed himself actually playing it in real time during the reveal before he asked for one red cent. Literally nothing to show huh? Maybe you should do some research on the subject before you come into a thread and start talking out of your anal orifice.

Bren

I thought I remembered there being more than just an idea. A tech demo and a reputation is pretty much what developers take to investors in traditional funding attempts, so the only difference here is that the "investors" are the people who would be playing the game anyway.

Though it's not really investing in the traditional sense. Investors in the traditional sense expect a return on their investment, and a profit. In this case, the only return on investment from the crowd funding is the game itself, and the developer gets to pocket the rest. Which is fine, since the people investing aren't going to be out any more money than they would than if they just bought the game.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

A.Blackloch

Apprentice Member

"Choke on the smoke from my quill."

9/15/13 2:38:11 PM#23

Come on, let's face it. If they pull this off, it would be every space/scifi gamers wet dream, no doubt. Right now they have this neat hangar demo, but it isn't quite enough to open my wallet - though it is very nice looking. Besides, it looks like they've got this money thing covered already - they don't need my pennies.

Sure I'll chip in if the game ever arrives on my lifetime.

Brenelael

Guide

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

9/15/13 4:09:19 PM#24
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

I thought I remembered there being more than just an idea. A tech demo and a reputation is pretty much what developers take to investors in traditional funding attempts, so the only difference here is that the "investors" are the people who would be playing the game anyway.

Though it's not really investing in the traditional sense. Investors in the traditional sense expect a return on their investment, and a profit. In this case, the only return on investment from the crowd funding is the game itself, and the developer gets to pocket the rest. Which is fine, since the people investing aren't going to be out any more money than they would than if they just bought the game.

Yeah, here is the entire video of the reveal at GDC 2012.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

bubbabill

Novice Member

9/15/13 4:16:07 PM#25
lol he doesnt have my money and never will.  cant play promises to well.  so if he ever gets a game actually to play let me know
  Arndush

Novice Member

9/17/13 12:39:07 PM#26
Removed this post myself. It came off  much more childish than I intended. 
  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

9/17/13 12:52:34 PM#27

Of all the KS projects (I think this is also separate crowdfunding, primarily) SC is the one to watch ie make a splash. I think it shows this genre is high demand and under served atm? I'd still be cautious on funding over certain amounts. I'd not seen the appeal of slashing out unless there's a direct connection between cash -> game time / unique experiences then if you're confident you could bump up your pledge proportional to how much you think you will play the game and enjoy it.

"Pixie Dust" perks however, I've no idea why people buy those?

Arndush

Novice Member

9/17/13 7:03:36 PM#28
Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Of all the KS projects (I think this is also separate crowdfunding, primarily) SC is the one to watch ie make a splash. I think it shows this genre is high demand and under served atm? I'd still be cautious on funding over certain amounts. I'd not seen the appeal of slashing out unless there's a direct connection between cash -> game time / unique experiences then if you're confident you could bump up your pledge proportional to how much you think you will play the game and enjoy it.

"Pixie Dust" perks however, I've no idea why people buy those?

Well, certain packages do grant you playing time. I believe at the $40 pledge level, you get access to Alpha and Beta testing. So, that is a lot of playing time that a person buying at launch will miss out on. I grant you, it's a lot of bugged filled time, that will most likely be frustrating. But, it will have it's glorious moments as well and if you're willing to prefund the game, isn't it in your best interest to test the game, provide feedback, and help make it the best game possible? 

Also, buy even buying the lowest possible $30 package, you still get a ship and access to the hangar and dogfighting modules. So again, you still get some extra playtime.

There are also unique experiences involved. For example, those who donated before they hit $18 million will be able to start in a system not accessible by others at launch. The other folks will eventually be able to find it. Either by stumbling across it through exploration, or if someone gives you the coordinates. But, they'll never be able to base their ships there. 

I do realize that even these perks may not be enough to sway the more frugal or skeptical person with a passing interest in the game and that's fine. Having been let down by multiple games in the past, I can certainly understand that. But, I do think this company has done more than most for it's fans in that regard. 

Slainte,

Xavier

TyrianPrime

Novice Member

9/18/13 3:24:07 AM#29

The answer to the OP is simple two words: "Chris Roberts"

And my comment goes: Obviously some people here maybe too young or didn't have the privilege in knowing who CR is or his games before the last decade.

He is the guy that Microsoft or EA had, have, and may as well will, throw their most expensive red carpet, anytime he decides to let them join.

He is the GrandMaster of Space Operas, and with the power of us backers, who really know he can deliver real AAA games, not the fake AAA most of us have been fed upon the last decade, and likewise, it's just him and his proof of excellence he demonstrated without(Origin) and within the wings of Microsoft or EA that attracts this enormous crowdfunding.

Those who do a little research will eventually turn into backing sooner or later:)

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

2 Pages « 1 2 Search