Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,872 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,136
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » Star Citizen vs. Eve. vs. Elite: Dangerous

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
53 posts found
  Phry

Elite Member

Joined: 7/01/04
Posts: 5283

4/23/13 3:05:20 AM#21
Originally posted by zimboy69

atm eve is  in the best position 

its out  you can play it  and has had years of development  

but it needs to watch out

i believe that no person started playing eve wanting  the  control system that it uses 

 

but they have over the many years got used to it  so its become normal

 

now when elite  or  star citizen comes out    it could spell really bad news to eve

they both could  give players dog fighting and real skill combat

then eve will be difficult to sell especialy if the others dont need a sub

the only people to play eve then will be the ones who invested years into the game  and new people like always in eve will find it  too  big a gap for them and just start playing the newer games

 

i still belive eve has a chance to  become even bigger they have two years   to get things right if they dont they  wont be the only space sim/mmo and then they could  face huge subscription losses

 

its the old x game is going to kill wow argument, but for a change, targetting Eve, only, its irrelevant as their all niche games - with all that entails, Eve has been growing, slowly, since launch, its the only game to do so afaik, thats not to say that Eve players won't also play those games too, pretty sure most Eve players play at least one other MMO, probably GW2 in which case wouldnt it make more sense that there will be fewer GW2 players once those games come out... yeah, its a nonsensical statement, which is equally as valid as your own, and oddly enough, using the same logic.

of course, if Star Citizen and Elite dangerous do manage to reduce player numbers in GW2, then i guess we'll both be very surprised

  hfztt

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/31/05
Posts: 627

4/23/13 3:27:08 AM#22
Originally posted by Xondar123

I recommend you avoid EVE Online.

It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

Lol. Just. Lol.

It is fair enough to admit that EVE is not you type of game. But to call it sub-par and then just bad mouth it with random mostly false claims, thats a bit harsh.

Steep learning curve: Partially, but the tutorial is quite good these days for getting you going.

You cannot catch up: You can. You totally can. The skill tree is flat, so catching up is quite easy. Player skill is more often the issue that character skill in EVE. Any character a few months old can be a fully contributiong member in fleets with 10 year old chars. The distance from rookie to high end gameplay is one of the shortest out there. Can you grind yourself to the top in other games faster? Sure! But in EVE you get there if you grind or not due to the time based training.

The deveolpers metagame: Come on. That statement is so 2007 Goon propaganda...

n00bs can get ganked: Yes they can. But not with imputiny. Ganking n00bs for no reason other than lol's is actually a banable offense.

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 12387

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

4/23/13 4:07:54 AM#23
Originally posted by zimboy69

 

now when elite  or  star citizen comes out    it could spell really bad news to eve

they both could  give players dog fighting and real skill combat

then eve will be difficult to sell especialy if the others dont need a sub

the only people to play eve then will be the ones who invested years into the game  and new people like always in eve will find it  too  big a gap for them and just start playing the newer games

 

i still belive eve has a chance to  become even bigger they have two years   to get things right if they dont they  wont be the only space sim/mmo and then they could  face huge subscription losses

 

  • Earth and Beyond
  • Vendetta Online
  • NeoCron
  • Battlestar Galactica Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • Star Wars Galaxies
  • Clone Wars Adventures
  • SWTOR
  • Planetside
  • Planetside 2
  • Star Sonata
  • ACE Online
  • Dark Orbit
  • Perpetuum
  • Entropia Universe
  • Pardus.it
  • Pirate Galaxy 
  • Black Prophecy
  • Afterworld
  • Anarchy Online

 

There is now and always has been competition in the sci-fi and space MMO market. There are plenty of choices to suit a wide range of playstyles. None of the games has been a 'killer' of the others, partially because they all vary greatly in what they offer.

It seems like you are working on the assumption that the people who want 'dog fighting with real skill combat' are playing EVE instead of the games that actually offer that. 

 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

Joined: 7/12/11
Posts: 87

4/23/13 4:33:10 AM#24

Seems some green is on this forum again, that have all the answers right in their pockets^

Yes i remember these people that have all the answers, yet they comment on everything like their opinion is the best, and yet jump on every new opinion as a T remark....No i have not forgotten your remark...

And to the topic, you are wrong, there is no real competition in the space genre, EvE and SWG have carried the flag alone most of the years gone by, no matter how many mediocre space game list you post.

Sorry to buzz your full of space games world, but time has come for games like Star Citizen, or Elite, to carry the space genre flag, with EvE, not against it.

Next time you jump on someone's opinion  assume you will not make long time friends either.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

4/23/13 5:09:52 AM#25
Star citizen is a wing commander based project yeah?


Wing commander isn't a sandbox. A multiplayer elite would have a lot in common with eve, a multiplayer wing commander couldn't really.
  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

Joined: 7/12/11
Posts: 87

4/23/13 5:21:32 AM#26
The Squadron 42 part of SC will look like the Wing Commander game, with a series of missions to take until you finish the story, which has been told will be followed by more chapters in the future. And that is just one aspect of SC only.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  Muke

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/07
Posts: 1615

4/23/13 5:25:57 AM#27


Originally posted by Xondar123

EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.


all the above is true: apart from the catching up with the skillpoints thingy: that is bogus. How many times I have killed 'superior' older players; it's sickening easy.

Skillpoints help you up to a point, from there on your knowledge of the game makes the difference, I guess Xondar is the "blob PVP player" and has never done REAL PVP without the backing of his alliance.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 12387

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

4/23/13 5:31:03 AM#28
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Star citizen is a wing commander based project yeah?


Wing commander isn't a sandbox. A multiplayer elite would have a lot in common with eve, a multiplayer wing commander couldn't really.

Very true. Elite was one of the big inspirations for EVE Online, so a multiplayer elite would bring the cycle full circle. :) 

 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

  Muke

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/07
Posts: 1615

4/23/13 5:34:54 AM#29

I LOVED Elite on my C64, now playing EVE for like 10y, is any of these games apart from EVE available to test/play etc or is it still 'work in progress/planning stage'?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 12387

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

4/23/13 5:35:46 AM#30
Originally posted by Averof

Seems some green is on this forum again, that have all the answers right in their pockets^

Yes i remember these people that have all the answers, yet they comment on everything like their opinion is the best, and yet jump on every new opinion as a T remark....No i have not forgotten your remark...

And to the topic, you are wrong, there is no real competition in the space genre, EvE and SWG have carried the flag alone most of the years gone by, no matter how many mediocre space game list you post.

Sorry to buzz your full of space games world, but time has come for games like Star Citizen, or Elite, to carry the space genre flag, with EvE, not against it.

Next time you jump on someone's opinion  assume you will not make long time friends either.

Where did I say I have all the answers or that it wasn't time for a game like Star Citizen? If anything, I said there was plenty of room for games in the genre. I'll write your bizarre post off to a language barrier thing. 

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

Joined: 7/12/11
Posts: 87

4/23/13 5:40:45 AM#31
I'll write your post to a lang gauge as well for correct spelling, and your bizarre notions too.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

Joined: 7/12/11
Posts: 87

4/23/13 5:45:23 AM#32
Originally posted by Muke

I LOVED Elite on my C64, now playing EVE for like 10y, is any of these games apart from EVE available to test/play etc or is it still 'work in progress/planning stage'?

Not yet, unless you have pledged and will be able to play the alpha version.

So far, all info comes from RSI Site, and the opening cinematic shows real gameplay footage form Chris Roberts.

The fact that he revealed real gameplay content, is what ignited the overwhelming support. The gaming world is full of undelivered promises. And our hopes are that by day 1, Chris already delivered gameplay, not screenshots, and not just art and wishfull thinking.

We are all waiting for more news patiently.

 

 

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  Mystais

Novice Member

Joined: 8/02/04
Posts: 73

N/A

4/23/13 5:59:44 AM#33

>> Crewable spacecraft interiors <<

The one MAJOR thing about Star Citizen, that I have not yet seen mentioned and makes the game hugely unique, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation (scroll down to images)

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation?file=Freelancer_cutaway.jpg

You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  You can actually get up from one station and walk around and sit at the dining table or go to your rack or hop in a turret or repair various systems... as your character and your friends/gf/bf/spouse can be doing the same on your ship.   Imagine you and your friends all sitting together at the dining table on your ship, or their ship, while discussing things to do be it a pirate raid or merchant run, etc. (like Firefly *hand over heart*).  It's not just a ship... it can be a home.  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 12387

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

4/23/13 6:02:17 AM#34
Originally posted by Mystais

The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

  TyrianPrime

Novice Member

Joined: 7/12/11
Posts: 87

4/23/13 7:07:01 AM#35
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by Mystais

The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

I think there will be, do check it though, but i reckon Chris said somewhere, that there will be player ship creation content, and maybe interior design that you can buy from other players too, but you should search for it, as i cannot recall where exaclty i heard it.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  Volkmar

Novice Member

Joined: 3/04/04
Posts: 2508

4/23/13 7:32:20 AM#36
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by Mystais

The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

Customization, yes.

Advancement? eh? this is not an RPG, the character is just an avatar, all the skills come from you, the player.

Also Star Citizen features a fully persistent universe, it is NOT just a single player game (though Squadron 42 is).

Do keep in mind that Chris Roberts did not made just Wing Commande but also games like Privateer and Freelancer.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

- My New World of Darkness Tabletop RPG Blog:
http://realmofroleplay.com/?cat=19

  Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/18/04
Posts: 707

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

4/24/13 11:41:23 AM#37
It always bugs me when people say 'there are no other space mmos but eve'. This is an incredibly narrow-sighted view.

Not only is Vendetta Online a twitch/physics mmorpg in space that takes place in a single, persistent "world"; it's been out for longer than Eve.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

  simplius

Novice Member

Joined: 12/12/12
Posts: 979

4/27/13 1:55:01 AM#38
Originally posted by thalpha

 

Originally posted by Xondar123

I recommend you avoid EVE Online.

It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

 

You're either intentionally trying to drive people away or you don't know what you're talking about, but pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

 

  1. Subpar - A matter of opinion, but I'm pretty sure the many, many people that play would disagree with you. CCP puts a lot of work into the game to make it as good as possible (despite the number of players that whine about them).
  2. Skill divide - Yes the vets are going to have more raw SP because they've been playing longer. However, if a new player specializes, it will only take them a month or two to almost completely catch up to a vet on that particular area. For example, once a vet gets all the skills related to flying a frigate, they're done. You can acquire the same skills and be on the same level as them in a matter of months. Just make sure you use your training time wisely.
  3. Devs being in corps/alliances - This has been a non-issue for a very long time (like 2006 or something, before I was around). I believe that it did happen with an alliance called Band of Brothers, in which a dev was in a leadership position and actively worked to advance the alliance through his ties in the company, but CCP found out, fired him, and instituted a policy in which anyone working for CCP can no longer use their leverage to help out corps/alliances.
  4. New players being griefed - If it happens in the starting areas, it is actually a bannable offence I think. Anywhere else is free game, because Eve doesn't coddle people like every other game out there.
TL;DR: You don't know what you're talking about, so stop commenting on it.

youre right on your first point

2. so,,i just attack a battlecruiser in my noob frigate?

3.monoclegate, player scams,,EVE has a horrible reputation

4.the only game , where i have met more griefers, is APB

  apanz3r

Novice Member

Joined: 11/17/11
Posts: 281

5/01/13 1:04:09 PM#39

Some semi-facts about eve:

-99% of players have at least 2 accounts ( i was multiboxing with at least 2 - one farming and onbe pvping, but there have been special times when i had 4 loged in)

-0.1  of players( the noes  who are the ceo of corporations and aliances) play for free by tacking/robbing corp funds, the rest are just slaves/meatshield  for their corps/aliances/ceos

-now and then when the space is  *really* endangered you *may* get a free ship to fight for corp space

-you have almost no room for mistakes: you either get quicly killed by enemyes or you get trolled/harrased/bullied by your teammates.

-there is no concept of fair fight, if you end in one you did something wrong . usually the bigger blob(which can have hundreds of ships/players) wins

-this game should be actually named "metagaming online". good luck killing anything without spyes infiltrated in the corporation controlling that teritory.

 

All this would not be actually a problem if the game would not require huge amount of farming  or real money investment to buy ships. I quit playing the game for quite some time but at that time a fully equipeed shipd would have cost you arround 20 $ or 5-10 hours of farming(not mentioning the logistic to move the ship in space to your station)  and you can lose it in a blink.  If you see a single target that you want to engage probably is just a bait and you will have 10 capitals jumping on you.

 

The ammount of boreness in this game is huge.  Beside farming for hours/days for a ship you will spend hours to get a fight.

When you get in a fight it will end anyway in a timeframe of 30sec-5 minutes or major lag will kick in and what is supose to take 1 sec takes 5 min.

 

Usually people keep playing this game because of "hostages factor" - you invested so much time in your assets and you don't want to quit.

====

EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

 

 

  TheYear1500

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/14/12
Posts: 220

6/18/13 12:41:45 PM#40
Originally posted by apanz3r

Some semi-facts about eve:

-99% of players have at least 2 accounts ( i was multiboxing with at least 2 - one farming and onbe pvping, but there have been special times when i had 4 loged in)

-0.1  of players( the noes  who are the ceo of corporations and aliances) play for free by tacking/robbing corp funds, the rest are just slaves/meatshield  for their corps/aliances/ceos

-now and then when the space is  *really* endangered you *may* get a free ship to fight for corp space

-you have almost no room for mistakes: you either get quicly killed by enemyes or you get trolled/harrased/bullied by your teammates.

-there is no concept of fair fight, if you end in one you did something wrong . usually the bigger blob(which can have hundreds of ships/players) wins

-this game should be actually named "metagaming online". good luck killing anything without spyes infiltrated in the corporation controlling that teritory.

 

All this would not be actually a problem if the game would not require huge amount of farming  or real money investment to buy ships. I quit playing the game for quite some time but at that time a fully equipeed shipd would have cost you arround 20 $ or 5-10 hours of farming(not mentioning the logistic to move the ship in space to your station)  and you can lose it in a blink.  If you see a single target that you want to engage probably is just a bait and you will have 10 capitals jumping on you.

 

The ammount of boreness in this game is huge.  Beside farming for hours/days for a ship you will spend hours to get a fight.

When you get in a fight it will end anyway in a timeframe of 30sec-5 minutes or major lag will kick in and what is supose to take 1 sec takes 5 min.

 

Usually people keep playing this game because of "hostages factor" - you invested so much time in your assets and you don't want to quit.

====

EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

 

 

Many of the reasons that i stopped playing,  you can spend hours looking for a fight and then be out of the fight in sec's.  EVE online is the best space MMO out right now and that  is just sad.  On the skill point thing, yes there is a limited amount of skills that can be applied to a single ship, the problem is that it takes 6+ months to max out that ship (yes you are coming close to maxing all the others as well).  It takes a very very long time to get all the support skills max, then there are the ship specific skills that you need to learn (this does not mean a new player can't win a fight vs an older char, bad players can still be taken down, that happens in all MMO's).  There are good things about EVE, you really can fly what you want to fly, bring to a fight what you want to bring (more players == win).  And there are many others.        

The game ends up boiling down to two things, making isk and losing isk.   

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search