Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Age of Wushu

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,796,614 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,527
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » SC the MMO we have been waiting for!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
49 posts found
  hfztt

Advanced Member

4/23/13 4:56:47 AM#21
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Xondar123
Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
Originally posted by RefMinor
Didn't the developer say it wasn't an MMO?

Correct, with multiplayer similar to Freelancer.

It will have a persistent game world as well as let you run your own shard with friends or play offline single player.

So no, nothing like Freelancer really.

But nothing really very similar to a MMORPG either...sort of a pseudo version of one.

Its just an old school Multiplayer Online. Scratch the Massive. Massive was a word added when we went beyond the limits of classic LAN servers.

This is comparable to MineCraft. MineCraft is Multiplayer Online. It's not build to be Massive.

simplius

Novice Member

4/26/13 4:38:01 AM#22

i just cancelled my preorder

even the best sandbox games are niche,,most of them simply dont attract enough players,

to keep evolving

ill put my money on wildstar instead

Csick

Advanced Member

5/13/13 1:39:53 PM#23
Originally posted by hfztt

Its just an old school Multiplayer Online. Scratch the Massive. Massive was a word added when we went beyond the limits of classic LAN servers.This is comparable to MineCraft. MineCraft is Multiplayer Online. It's not build to be Massive.

You guys are either clueless or intend to down talk this game... Clearly you don't understand the structure of MMORPG's. This WILL be MASSIVE. The only thing comparable to MineCraft are the Private (Modable) shards we will be able to host. 

Let me give you a breakdown to make it easier for you guys. 

- Each Zone will support 64-100+ players  - That IS massive.  What mmorpg do you know that can have more than that in a single area all fighting at the same time? WoW? no.. In wow the only time you see 100+ players is in capitol cities where everyone is just standing around.  when 100+ raid a capitol city, 90% of the time it crashes the server and lags everyone to death.  Which in my eyes is the main reason they made capitol cities like shattrah and beyond neutral - you can't raid a neutral city... Instances - seamless or not are inevitable with current technologies. The biggest battleground is alterac valley with 40v40. Thats only 80 people in a zone. So you must not consider WoW a MMORPG then? PlanetSide 2 is the only game to really push that boundary with an impressive 2000 player limit per continent. Ofcourse 2000 players in a single area on that continent lags everyone down to 20-30fps IF they have a super computer... everyone else gets 5fps...  One might argue Eve online's largest battle was around 3000 players. While that may be true, Eve online is not real time combat, there arent any physics calculations being done. This is what such a battle looks like http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/largebattle-title.jpg - doesn't look like fun to me... 

- Zones in SC will be Instanced and seamlessly interconnected in which your character and ship will be persistent server wide. The only way that is even remotely similar to minecraft is if in minecraft there were portals that when entered connected you to other servers in which your chacter persists on one central database shared by all servers... (Possible, ive done it, but very buggy with the available plugins). There will be 100+ star systems at launch. Each of which will be capable of having 100 or so players (needs to be stress tested to push its limits). These zones will have multiple "battle instances" that are basically shards of the same zone that will be used as a matchmaking technique to put players of equal skill / ship quality together.  Like guild wars and MANY other mmorpg's do. The only reason WoW and other games seem so "Massive" is because you "THINK" that you can have that many players in a zone because you don't see the "48/64 players" when you enter a zone. Its hidden. It will likely be hidden in SC too, they are just telling you of its capabilities. WoW never told us its capabilites because they want you to assume its limitless.  Its immersive. 

- If you've ever played FreeSpace 2 (The best space/flight sim to date)  - You know that 20 ships in a single battle is massive and chaotic. 60-100 will be Insane.  If you have played freespace you can imagine star citizen is freespace in which you can freely enter through Jump nodes to travel to any of star systems within the galaxy. Each star system will potentially have 1-100 players inside. Scary to think about when you know any pirate can come kill you and destroy your ship (Without consequence if in low-security star systems). Let alone fleets of pirates.. Your ship (if not insured) will be lost. If you don't have the creds to afford a new ship you will have to run missions for a third party or join the military. On your ship will be different modules such as shield generators, mounted lasers / guns / propelled rockets, countermeasures, and much more...  But i digress.. 

The reason you misinformed people misunderstand all this is because they don't claim to be a MMORPG. The reason for this is because it will not ONLY be an mmorpg (Persistant Universe).  It will all three possible play types in one. 

- 1) You will be able to play the SC campaign Single-Player - No internet required - No freely explorable world.

- 2) You will be able to host your own shard that will have limited features (i.e. just dogfighting and maybe a few star systems). and a 64 player cap where you can modify the experience of the gameplay to your desire. For example you can remove certain ships or weapons from the game and control their stats to your liking.

- 3) You will be able to Login to the PERSISTANT (Your character and his assets will be saved) Server Hosted, Admin'd, and policed by CIG that will consist of approximately 50,000 players inhabiting 100+ star systems ( New jump nodes will be able to be discovered by players as the game matures, and if you successfully navigate those new jump nodes to the new  star system, that system will be named after you - permanently, persistently).  You will be able to locate and interact with all players within the server (ie Bounty hunters can track you down and kill you - wherever you are).  So obviously this will be a Massively Multiplayer Online Game where you can PLAY the ROLE of a smuggler, pirate, trader, bounty hunter, military officer etc... AKA MMORPG

I've taken enough time out of my busy work schedule (Not much - i type 130 WPM) and don't feel like proof reading. Sorry if there are any typo or sentences that don't make sence lol.

TL;DR - This game will be a MMORPG++ such that it cannot be categorized as just an mmorpg.

TyrianPrime

Apprentice Member

OP  9/30/13 4:17:00 AM#24

One whole year later, and the hunch and belief that this will be the BDSSE we have been waiting for is more consistent.SC as the Best Damn Space SImulator Ever not on the usual "feed the sheep and their troll herders alike MMOs" of the last decade, is showing it's potential slowly, steadily, and devours "suits", "trolls", "payed pencils, digital and paper" and a whole world of non gamers that fed on the great market that constitutes the gaming industry. The Space Genre and Space Operas were put on ice by the "suits" convincing their bosses that it's a dead genre. But no "live" genre for more than 10 years, has ever managed to have nealrly 300000 backers from before pre alpha and more than 20 million USD allocated.The mentality of labelling opinions as trollish just because they don't abide as obedient to the current MMO mediocrity, has passed and gone.

The current trend of the "suits" is the Pay2win" caramel, but as few know, the largest companies in the industry are just now awakening from the deep sleep. "The Suits" have deprived earnings from investors, and gamers from better games for a whole decade. WoW's success and failure of all who followed is the simplest example of the fraud going on for 10 years.Star Citizen is coming to awaken both bosses and gamers to put a leash back on the ignorant non gamer middle men.

And this beast will resist with all it's strength and recruited soldiers. This will be the fight of the decade in the gaming world.Unfortunately both gamers and investors have the same Champion, Chris Roberts, whereas "suits", "spreadsheet companies", "statistical analyses mambo jumbo" haven't got any Champion to defend their 10 year long mediocrity wrecks.

Enjoying with lots of popcorn, the new story, "Death of the Space Suit"....

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

azarhal

Hard Core Member

9/30/13 6:21:40 PM#25
Originally posted by Csick

TL;DR - This game will be a MMORPG++ such that it cannot be categorized as just an mmorpg.

Just a small comment, there is nothing RPG about Star Citizen as most people understand the term. There is no role-playing mechanic like classes, skill trees or levels. You got a ship with whatever equipment you were able to buy and fit on it and you personal somewhat twitchy skills at controlling it.. Any "role-playing" is purely self imposed by how you play: pirate, trader, bounty hunter, explorer, mercenary, crewmember, etc. Most people don't fit this into the RPG gaming category.

It will be a MMO, although Chris doesn't like using the term because it became too associated to WoW and this game is nothing like WoW. I personally call the Persistent Universe a MMOSS (Massively Multiplayer Online Space Sim).

DocBrody

Advanced Member

10/03/13 9:46:00 AM#26

I have now invested 225$ so far into making this game a reality. This has now topped my most expensive investment of the Secret World 199$ Grandmaster pack.

I'm happy with both purchases, I'm spending so much time in Secret World and I will spend a lot of time in Star Citizen.

Gruug

Hard Core Member

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

10/03/13 9:53:01 AM#27

I have high hopes for SC. They are PROMISING a lot. I have yet to have reason to doubt that they will pull off all that they are promising.

However, I have been burned by promises before. Therefore, I will not add to the hyper-hype before I see that it is no longer promises but fact.

I should note that I am also looking forward to X Rebirth coming before the end of 2013 (Nov. ?). It will offer many of the thing SC will offer minus the "MMO" portion and planet surface interaction. Even though I have seen vids of the gameplay, I will still withhold judgment until I play it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

lugal

Advanced Member

10/03/13 10:01:07 AM#28
SC is not an mmo.
Reading the comments of those who claim this to be a mmo, you could apply the term mmo to anything with online. Guess all those console games are mmo's now.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
The reviewer has a mishapen head
Which means his opinion is skewed
...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

douglas32

Novice Member

10/03/13 10:30:37 AM#29

WTF!!! this game looks better than a benchmark when i saw the gameplay i just think that is a benchmark or a fake movie. wtf

bubbabill

Novice Member

10/03/13 8:27:23 PM#30
so no owpvp where a person can wtfpwn lowbies and gank them all day? come on bcbully wont be happy without it
  xAPOCx

Elite Member

10/03/13 8:44:09 PM#31
Originally posted by TyrianPrime

A positive thinker is no less  or more optimistic than a negative thinker.

You also have pledged, as you said, so have i, and frankly i am very much interested, that SC, becomes not the MMO style we have so been used to in the last decade but something more evolved and more attractive.

In that sense the "NO" applies in my view. I wish that like Blizzard, Chris will consume every best asset of current online games, and tailor it to his liking, which in turn, tailors to us that played fondly of his games everytime.

Labeling everything has deprived the ability to look into what is exactly inside the package...

And the meaning of this thread, is that it is a senseless debate....what is and what isn't MMO, whether it was replied NO, and if it has elements of an MMO, or if it is an MMO...

...what really is the juice overall, is the game itself, and not it's label/tag/moto/advertisement/suits/ and skirts around it:)

I feel as if i just read something the GOP would have written. You must not have any problems getting anything off the top shelf. You know. Since your "reach" is so long =)

ThomasN7

Advanced Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

10/04/13 7:44:58 PM#32
Just pledged today. Can't wait to get my hands on the game when going live.
  Bizze66

Novice Member

Definitely waiting on:

Shroud of the Avatar

10/04/13 8:10:59 PM#33
Originally posted by TyrianPrime
I will wait for the launch and see whether this game is worth checking out as an MMO. It looks like a good game but I don't know about even attaching an MMO association to this game is even justifiable.

You also have pledged, as you said, so have i, and frankly i am very much interested, that SC, becomes not the MMO style we have so been used to in the last decade but something more evolved and more attractive.

MMO is not a style. If massive amounts of people don't play it simultaneously then it is not an mmo. Small instances and congregating in safe havens do not count. You can do that in a chat room or play 16 or 32 instances on a console game.

Labeling everything has deprived the ability to look into what is exactly inside the package...

It is a great designed game in the making no doubt but should not be classified in the MMO category.

Burntvet

Elite Member

10/04/13 8:20:55 PM#34

To the OP: We've been hearing that for years.

When the game launches AND it is actually good and meets the claims it is making, only then will I believe it.

Bizze66

Novice Member

Definitely waiting on:

Shroud of the Avatar

10/04/13 8:27:39 PM#35
Originally posted by Burntvet

To the OP: We've been hearing that for years.

When the game launches AND it is actually good and meets the claims it is making, only then will I believe it.

Wurd!

User Deleted
10/05/13 8:00:34 AM#36

Originally posted by simplius
i just cancelled my preorder

even the best sandbox games are niche,,most of them simply dont attract enough players,

to keep evolving

ill put my money on wildstar instead

Haha "cancelled my preorder" you made my day!

Theocritus

Advanced Member

10/05/13 8:08:33 AM#37
So people donated 20 million plus for a game that is basically another single player or coop at best experience?
  Your-Mom

Novice Member

10/05/13 8:57:49 AM#38

The game will have:

singleplayer campagn.

persistent online universe. inc player driven economy

privat servers with modding.

So the reason they don't call it an mmo, is because it's much more than that.

There is still a lot of things, especially details, i'm not really clear about at this point, but by any definition it IS an mmo.

How many it will hold per solar system is still a bit fuzzy, because first it was around 100, but those 100 only seems to apply to an area within the system not the whole system, but we'll see. i'm deffo looking forward to it regardless.

TyrianPrime

Apprentice Member

OP  11/14/13 2:03:37 AM#39

Coming back to this thread a year later, i recall some reactions telling me not to keep my hopes up, like Kyleran for example.

Ok i tried to listen as much as i could:). After so many let downs by the gaming industry, i am in the boat of cautious optimism. 

I will wait and see the dogfighting module before i jump again on the hype train or not. But for anyone that followed this game over this year, well, it may well turn out indeed the MMO we have been waiting for. 

Deep thought and planning but not the mind boggling degree as that of EVE and action packed HD blasting and destroying, is what i personally want.

If the recipe turns out good, we will have yet another good MMO to sink our fun time with, and that hopefully will be a boost to the battered and forgotten space sim genre.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

11/14/13 2:06:31 AM#40

if i get a penny for every time i hear people say "the mmo we have been waiting for" every time a new mmo is announced, i would have a dream life.

im not following SC but this applies to every upcoming game..... Until it is released and i try it, it wont be the game ive been waiting for.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search