Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,738,433 Users Online:0
Games:715  Posts:6,177,040
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Citizen Forum » General Discussion » Star Ciizen, sounds like an MMO is it?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
36 posts found
  Suraknar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/26/07
Posts: 808

*Everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

 
OP  12/19/12 11:09:30 AM#1

Well it does sound like one, but I am wondering still.

I just watched this presentation here, not sure if it has been posted before, I looked at the related threads and did not see it in the first few pages.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com

So there is a persistent world, which is shared by many players.

This right here matches the descripion of an MMO experience.

It will have bi-weekly (lets hold them to their words with just "frequent") updates and will grow in a dynamic fashion, instead of updates. You buy separetly.

It is a PC game, what else could it be? (I would not play in any other form anyways.)

And the world will be Open Ended. This does not necessarilly mean Sandbox, but it means Freedom of play as the player chooses, there are no rails to the Star Citizen portion, however there will be the military Squadron 42 Cmpaign which will play as a traditional Wing Commander Solo Experience.

Seems to me like an expansion/combination of the previous ideas.

And I love what I see and hear up to now, very excited about this one.

Thoughts?

 

 

 

 

 

- Duke Suraknar -
Order of the Silver Star, OSS


ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

  Vorthanion

Elite Member

Joined: 7/02/11
Posts: 1883

12/19/12 11:14:35 AM#2
It is an MMO and much more.  The way they answer the question in their FAQ is misleading and confusing and I've been meaning to suggest to them to change it so that people understand what they really mean by it.  Essentially, they're saying they don't want to be labeled as soley an MMO.

  Suraknar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/26/07
Posts: 808

*Everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

 
OP  12/19/12 11:14:44 AM#3
Fixed the Link if it did not work previously.

- Duke Suraknar -
Order of the Silver Star, OSS


ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

  Suraknar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/26/07
Posts: 808

*Everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

 
OP  12/19/12 11:16:33 AM#4
Originally posted by Vorthanion
It is an MMO and much more.  The way they answer the question in their FAQ is misleading and confusing and I've been meaning to suggest to them to change it so that people understand what they really mean by it.  Essentially, they're saying they don't want to be labeled as soley an MMO.

Well at least that beats some others that Label like MMO's and are not persistent worlds with 15 minutes Battles.

For me, a Rose is a still a Rose by any other name :)

Awesome just Awesome!

Thanks!

 

- Duke Suraknar -
Order of the Silver Star, OSS


ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

  Celonius

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/15/12
Posts: 13

12/19/12 11:19:51 AM#5

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Since 2:00. Watch this.

 

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

 

  killion81

Elite Member

Joined: 8/31/06
Posts: 888

12/19/12 11:34:26 AM#6
Originally posted by Celonius

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Since 2:00. Watch this.

 

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

 

 

I think everyone is aware of what the creator *wants* Star Citizen to be.  However, many of us have seen a lot of promises and game descriptions from developers in the past, with the game not being quite what we were lead to believe.  This project is looking VERY ambitious and I think it's probably safest to take a "wait and see" approach.  Definitely not worth building tons of hype around because that hype will more than likely be dashed if every game that has come out in the past how many years is any indicator.  They never live up to the hype.

  Suraknar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/26/07
Posts: 808

*Everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

 
OP  12/19/12 11:36:32 AM#7

Yes that is the video I saw in the Official site.

Chris clearly describes an MMO even if he is not calling the game as such (he is neither calling anything else mind you). There should be no doubts there I think.

An MMO is defined by a Persistent world which is shared by many players (typically more than 2). And this Star Ciizen is according to the description given.

Thanks for the Tubed version, easier to share around :)

And Share I shall!

 

- Duke Suraknar -
Order of the Silver Star, OSS


ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

  Axxar

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/09/08
Posts: 1938

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

12/22/12 5:34:21 AM#8
They're not calling it an MMO, and in it also doesn't follow traditional MMO structures. But it wouldn't be outright wrong to call it an MMO.

Currently playing: Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Hearthstone and Skyrim.
Eagerly anticipating: Camelot Unchained, Elite: Dangerous, Legend of Grimrock 2 and Star Citizen.

  Mothanos

Elite Member

Joined: 10/20/10
Posts: 1768

12/25/12 5:58:17 AM#9

I realy hope this game contains high volume of sandbox.
Eve Online is still the game to beat since 2003 and this one might be on par or even better as the combat is more shooter like instead of point and click.

Keeping an eye on this one.

http://speedtest.net/result/2112016336.png

  Brenelael

Guide

Joined: 10/19/06
Posts: 3949

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

12/25/12 7:14:10 AM#10
Originally posted by killion81
Originally posted by Celonius

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Since 2:00. Watch this.

 

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

 

 

I think everyone is aware of what the creator *wants* Star Citizen to be.  However, many of us have seen a lot of promises and game descriptions from developers in the past, with the game not being quite what we were lead to believe.  This project is looking VERY ambitious and I think it's probably safest to take a "wait and see" approach.  Definitely not worth building tons of hype around because that hype will more than likely be dashed if every game that has come out in the past how many years is any indicator.  They never live up to the hype.

All the other games you are referring to were missing one thing that this game has... Chris Roberts. I'm not saying this game will be exactly as described now at release as that would be unrealistic but it will not dissapoint. No Chris Roberts game to date has. This is why this game blew the doors off the old crowd funding record. It's not the game... It's the man behind it.

 

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

  Celonius

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/15/12
Posts: 13

12/25/12 9:35:22 AM#11
All the other games you are referring to were missing one thing that this game has... Chris Roberts. I'm not saying this game will be exactly as described now at release as that would be unrealistic but it will not dissapoint. No Chris Roberts game to date has. This is why this game blew the doors off the old crowd funding record. It's not the game... It's the man behind it.

 

Bren

That's it.

 

Nobody obtains almost 7$ million (and I think that in 1-2 months will arrive at 8$ million) by crowdfunding being unpopular. If it has obtain this amount of money is because Chris Roberts is know in the community as a one of the bigs space sim father and best developers.

Of course, there has not the 100% of the promises on the release, but I think that this is far away to be vaporware or something like that.

  Justin9820

Novice Member

Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 51

12/27/12 4:23:32 PM#12
Originally posted by Suraknar

Yes that is the video I saw in the Official site.

Chris clearly describes an MMO even if he is not calling the game as such (he is neither calling anything else mind you). There should be no doubts there I think.

An MMO is defined by a Persistent world which is shared by many players (typically more than 2). And this Star Ciizen is according to the description given.

Thanks for the Tubed version, easier to share around :)

And Share I shall!

 

You're quite wrong if you think an mmo is anything with more than just 2 people.

  MarXon

Novice Member

Joined: 12/11/07
Posts: 22

12/27/12 4:32:17 PM#13
This has confused me quite alot aswell. As I understood it, it's based on player servers, like Counter Strike for example. And if that is the case it's not an mmo since it's not a persistent world rather official or player created servers.
  Kenrich

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/07/03
Posts: 103

12/27/12 4:36:57 PM#14
Originally posted by Mothanos

I realy hope this game contains high volume of sandbox.
Eve Online is still the game to beat since 2003 and this one might be on par or even better as the combat is more shooter like instead of point and click.

Keeping an eye on this one.

I agree with this one... Ill be happy to actually FLY my ship

Bacon makes the world go round

  Celonius

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/15/12
Posts: 13

12/29/12 9:25:48 AM#15
Originally posted by MarXon
This has confused me quite alot aswell. As I understood it, it's based on player servers, like Counter Strike for example. And if that is the case it's not an mmo since it's not a persistent world rather official or player created servers.

Is not going to be like Counter Strike

When you're going to play multiplayer you're not going to wathc this:

Server 1: 55/100 Players

Server 2: 80/100 Players

Server 3: 100/100 Players

NO, you won't be see this.

There will be a persisten world where the players actions affect it. Yes, there will be instanced, but this does not make that SC will not be a MMO. SC will be a MMO, an Instanced MMO, but stills be MMO

It's something like Guild Wars 1 but with more players/per instance and there won't be loading screens.

  thinktank001

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1776

12/29/12 10:56:23 AM#16

"No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

 

This is pulled straight out of their FAQ.   The game will have MMO like elements, but it won't be an MMO.

  Crunchy222

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/09/12
Posts: 390

1/03/13 10:19:01 PM#17

Ahh i love this websites community.

 

Any other legit mmorpg that had restricted instancing and a solo (offline?) option would be torn to shreds.  Everyones ripping apart other mmorpgs for too much instancing and complaining that theres not enough forced group content that its basically an online single player game.

 

THEN

 

mmorpg.com lits a game thats actually a single player game with extreme instanced multiplayer option and the community LOVES its.

 

You guys really crack me up

  Brenelael

Guide

Joined: 10/19/06
Posts: 3949

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

1/03/13 11:04:49 PM#18
Originally posted by Crunchy222

Ahh i love this websites community.

 

Any other legit mmorpg that had restricted instancing and a solo (offline?) option would be torn to shreds.  Everyones ripping apart other mmorpgs for too much instancing and complaining that theres not enough forced group content that its basically an online single player game.

 

THEN

 

mmorpg.com lits a game thats actually a single player game with extreme instanced multiplayer option and the community LOVES its.

 

You guys really crack me up

You're right... to a point. If this was a Fantasy based MMORPG with this same setup I wouldn't even give it a second look. BUT... This is a space MMO (Notice there is no RPG at the end of that) and with this setup it will work and feel like a space MMO should. Space is big... really BIG. I wouldn't expect to see 300 players in one place. Also there is no character progression either other than aquiring more credits to buy better ships/equipment.

 

This game is very different than anything that has come before. You are trying to compare this game to other MMOs and that simply doesn't work. Is this game a single player game? Yes. Is this game a limited multiplayer game? Yes. Is this game a MMO? Yes. This game is all of these things and a whole lot more. You really need to think outside of the extremely small box the MMO genre has cramed us all into over the last 10 years to judge this game fairly.

 

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

  Magiknight

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/10/09
Posts: 709

1/03/13 11:14:56 PM#19
Originally posted by Celonius

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Since 2:00. Watch this.

 

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

 

What modern MMO does not have instances?

  Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/18/04
Posts: 681

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

1/07/13 1:43:49 PM#20
Magiknight:
Vendetta Online
Eve Online

Neither of these games have instances, and they are both what I would consider "modern MMOs"

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

2 Pages 1 2 » Search