Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,117 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,487
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Darkfall not Aventurines main project

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
54 posts found
  MMO_Fan

Novice Member

2/18/13 6:08:39 AM#21
Originally posted by miasmafx
Simply put, they don't run their game like an MMO. They are more focused on fixing the engine they created to sell than fixing the game itself.

With most of the beta subscribers not play-testing, the engine is performing nicely.

xzyax

Novice Member

2/18/13 8:09:02 AM#22
Originally posted by MMO_Fan
Simply put, they don't run their game like an MMO. They are more focused on fixing the engine they created to sell than fixing the game itself.

With most of the beta subscribers not play-testing, the engine is performing nicely.

Hmm... I didn't realize the Beta was THAT popular, I must have seen it on a bad day.  According to the quote below from the OP:

"and the capacity to interconnect millions of users in highly engaging interactive environments"

The engine can handle millions... lol.  

monkeytek

Novice Member

2/18/13 11:37:42 AM#23
They meant Forumfall, their innovative advances in forum trolling allows millions to interactively berate and belittle each other!
  miasmafx

Novice Member

OP  2/18/13 1:54:30 PM#24
Originally posted by monkeytek
They meant Forumfall, their innovative advances in forum trolling allows millions to interactively berate and belittle each other!

I get banned on forumfall for no reason, the moderators are ran by volunteers in the community and abuse their powers at will and I am one of many victums. I was permabanned by a moderator because he was tired of my trolling, it got reverted but still that is just an example. 

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

2/18/13 4:50:32 PM#25
Originally posted by monkeytek

I get banned on forumfall for no reason, the moderators are ran by volunteers in the community and abuse their powers at will and I am one of many victums. I was permabanned by a moderator because he was tired of my trolling, it got reverted but still that is just an example. 

Same here, they didnt even mention a reason and the only post i made last weeks before the perma ban was nothing provocative. They do abuse their powers and if you try to get a reason for why you got banned all you get is silence. Darkfall forums is corrupt.

And as usual, Aventurine does nothing.

MrBoots

Novice Member

2/20/13 1:58:47 AM#26

This is true. I got banned for no reason just for posting criticism of the game.

The post about Darkfall being the best is false. You have some really thick rose colored glasses my friend. Some people call it a sandbox, but I call it a tech demo.  The only thing you could really judge the game on was it's combat, skill system, and crafting. All of these were poorly designed.

I made a sword using warrior back when the first one came out. I swear it was the most unfun combat you could find in any game that doesn't use tab target. The only valid strategy was to hold down the run button and jerk my mouse to the left like I was some kind of nascar wannabe. My combat partner and I would run in circles until someone got low. Then we would break off to heal up. Which brings me to my next point. My opponent in full plate armor would bust out a wand and heal himself up in a few casts of some spell! There were several of those spells and if you cast them in the right order it would restore your vitals to full with no penalty or cost. That's just the purest form of bad design. Later on everyone had magic that could bounce you around. I got kited around by mages until I gave up on the game.

Skills took forever to "grind" out. You had to grind hundreds of them to become competitive. The pve was so dull that I would fall asleep in my chair while killing monsters. The game wanted me to spend months doing it. No thank you.

Crafting was uncreative. Click and wait. Then wait some more. UO had similar crafting 16 years ago, but it wasn't boring either. I didn't have to wait 10 minutes to smelt my ingots. I could smelt them in one go. I didn't have to mine for 2 hours to get enough ore for a set of gear. Everything about crafting and harvesting was SLOW. Incredibly slow and boring.

xpiher

Novice Member

2/20/13 3:42:08 AM#27
Originally posted by MrBoots

I made a sword using warrior back when the first one came out. I swear it was the most unfun combat you could find in any game that doesn't use tab target. The only valid strategy was to hold down the run button and jerk my mouse to the left like I was some kind of nascar wannabe. My combat partner and I would run in circles until someone got low. Then we would break off to heal up. Which brings me to my next point. My opponent in full plate armor would bust out a wand and heal himself up in a few casts of some spell! There were several of those spells and if you cast them in the right order it would restore your vitals to full with no penalty or cost. That's just the purest form of bad design. Later on everyone had magic that could bounce you around. I got kited around by mages until I gave up on the game.

Don't try to tell the vets that. They'll just say you hated it because you are bad 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Galadourn

Hard Core Member

2/20/13 4:23:45 AM#28

yes, DFO was promising but had somereally bad design decisions. Unfortunately, DFUW seems to rely on those same bad decisions in its implementation.

And I also fear that the inhouse engine the game is running on is taking was too many resources that could be better put to use on other development things, without even providing spectacular results. Most modern engines that are now being used for MMOs could do what DF's engine does (perhaps with some modification), but provide MUCH better visual results.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

xpiher

Novice Member

2/20/13 4:43:24 AM#29
Originally posted by Galadourn

yes, DFO was promising but had somereally bad design decisions. Unfortunately, DFUW seems to rely on those same bad decisions in its implementation.

And I also fear that the inhouse engine the game is running on is taking was too many resources that could be better put to use on other development things, without even providing spectacular results. Most modern engines that are now being used for MMOs could do what DF's engine does (perhaps with some modification), but provide MUCH better visual results.

DFO's engine is the only one I know of that actually supported, although with bad lag, displaying as many characters on a screen at one time. PS2 and most games cannot do what DFO did, which is redener every player, spell, skill, etc. AV did accomplish something with that. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

2/20/13 5:20:51 AM#30

DFO online had some really nice features and the combat did work realyl well for what it was.. probally one of my favourite MMORPGs to date.. dont get me wrong it had issues even for the niche community it was aimed at.

What AV have done with UW is remove everything that was godo in DFO and then dumb down what they had left wont go into any more than that..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

xpiher

Novice Member

2/20/13 5:27:04 AM#31
Originally posted by Caldrin

What AV have done with UW is remove everything that was godo in DFO and then dumb down what they had left wont go into any more than that..

I would reserve judgement until certain things are added to the game. Espeically since some of it has been seen 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

MrBoots

Novice Member

2/20/13 8:12:11 AM#32
Originally posted by xpiher

Don't try to tell the vets that. They'll just say you hated it because you are bad 

Maybe I was bad at a terrible combat system, but I'm not sticking around for something that I don't find fun. I'm sure a lot of other players felt the same way when they cancelled. My whole guild gave up on the game after a few weeks of getting bounced around by macro mages. That's why I didn't bother preordering this time. I have no faith in aventurine. The videos released so far were ok, but so were the darkfall videos. Anyone can edit the bad parts out of a video and make it look good.

Before anyone says "go back to tab target n00b" you should know that I mostly play FPS games. Right now I'm playing CS:GO, MWO, and Planetside 2.

xpiher

Novice Member

2/20/13 9:01:00 AM#33

Maybe I was bad at a terrible combat system, but I'm not sticking around for something that I don't find fun. I'm sure a lot of other players felt the same way when they cancelled. My whole guild gave up on the game after a few weeks of getting bounced around by macro mages. That's why I didn't bother preordering this time. I have no faith in aventurine. The videos released so far were ok, but so were the darkfall videos. Anyone can edit the bad parts out of a video and make it look good.

Before anyone says "go back to tab target n00b" you should know that I mostly play FPS games. Right now I'm playing CS:GO, MWO, and Planetside 2.

Your issue with the game was fixed by the introducing of the class system. ANd before anyone says "NDA breaker" most class skills have been shown in the promo videos. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

2/20/13 9:24:56 AM#34

I would reserve judgement until certain things are added to the game. Espeically since some of it has been seen 

Problem is most things wont be added until well after release....

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

miasmafx

Novice Member

OP  2/20/13 12:09:26 PM#35

This thread is not an argument on whether Darkfall 1 had the best PvP system in the MMO World so let's not get sidetracked from the OP as that was simply my opinion and I also stated the game had a LOT of problems with it just like you guys did.

Now from what you just said in your post it seems like you are judging the game as a whole and not the PvP system, I said Darkfall 1 had the best PvP I think I will ever experience, I did not say it was the best MMO. The game as a whole had so many flaws and problems that made people just like yourself and even me leave.

I didn't play Darkfall at launch so the way I found out about the game as I was looking into good PvP MMOs and ended up watching player made PvP videos and fell in love with it immediately. When I started I found out just how much I had to grind to be competitive immediately, ended up playing for around 7 months before I gave up on the grind because it literally was colossal just to be competitive, then after trying to find a new MMO for a long time I eventually gave up and came back about 8 months later as the endgame PvP system to me was literally the best thing on the market and still to this day so I gave it another shot and eventually finished the grind. After the grind that isn't all because then you have to learn the meta of Darkfall PvP which took me about 1kish duels vs. good opponents and tons of solo PvP. I eventually became a very good player in Darkfall but it was too late because as I got good CS:GO came out and I went to see if I would like to try to play that game Professionally and wasted the last month and a half of Darkfall 1 before the server got shutdown for Darkfall Unholy Wars servers.

So, what I just said takes me out of the Vet category and only includes me in one of the top players on Darkfall 1 at the end which was too late because I didn't have enough time to prove myself to a lot of players on the server.

xpiher

Novice Member

2/20/13 7:10:42 PM#36

Problem is most things wont be added until well after release....

Relase won't happen until the steam deal is finalized. Also, the things I'm talking about that have been seen do not need to be implemented after launch, they could be partially  implemented before

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

User Deleted
2/20/13 11:22:38 PM#37

Games like darkfall and mortal online would be done and finished if they didnt have outside means of funding.  MO i believe has the developers fathers pocketbook and DF has the greek government and side projects.

If you all think a game can support developers, even a few, while running the game, with financial support from a few thousand subs...while continuing to update (or in DF's case the new game) you would be wrong.

If people are upset that AV is working on stuff other than the game they make so little money on, you really must not enjoy the game, or might be cheering for it to die..not sure...

This is the way things are, when the majority want an overhyped themepark with quest hubs instanced pvp and raids...and wants the largest thing lost in pvp to be the 200 foot run back from the respawn.

Aragon100

Hard Core Member

2/21/13 5:28:44 AM#38
Originally posted by Crunchy222

If people are upset that AV is working on stuff other than the game they make so little money on, you really must not enjoy the game, or might be cheering for it to die..not sure...

I want it to succeed, i even bought DFUW. And i dont care what they work on.

What is making me and im sure alot of others upset though is that Aventurine claimed the game was ready for launch 2012 and now were soon to be in march 2013. 

Aventurine deliberatly lied to get people pay for a game they knew all along werent ready. They should try the truth instead and im sure people will have a more positive view on Aventurine.

Hancakes

Novice Member

2/21/13 11:35:55 AM#39
Originally posted by Aragon100

Aventurine deliberately lied to get people pay for a game they knew all along wasn't ready. They should try the truth instead and im sure people will have a more positive view on Aventurine.

xzyax

Novice Member

2/21/13 12:19:08 PM#40
Originally posted by Hancakes
Originally posted by Aragon100

Aventurine deliberately lied to get people pay for a game they knew all along wasn't ready. They should try the truth instead and im sure people will have a more positive view on Aventurine.

Bingo!!!  

Shouldn't be that hard to figure out.  Aventurine (and to a larger extent Tasos) seem to have an inability to tell truth from reality.  Wipe or no wipe, release readiness, EU vs. NA server... whatever the issue is they seem to go with the most dishonest way of handling it.  

A lot of players have decided to have nothing to do with DarkFall based solely on the ineptitude of the company running the game; that's a shame, but Aventurine brought it on themselves. 

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search