Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,021 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,662
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » #1 MMORPG of all Time!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
85 posts found
  marcust

Existentialist

12/07/12 2:17:41 PM#41

As a DF1 and UO player I am very hyped as I know what we had and look forward to the improvements.

It will be nice to get obsessed with a gaming world again, one where your guild actually matters.

My wife, she isn't so hyped heh.

Playing: ESO
Also played/worth mentioning: UO, WoW, Lineage2, Lotro, Darkfall, TSW

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

12/07/12 2:20:12 PM#42
Originally posted by Raserei
My prediction is that this game will be the #1 MMORPG of all time. Cya in AGON!

My prediction is it'll be dead in about 3-4 months due to the immaturity of the community now a days chasing off new players that keep the game going. DF doesn't interest me much, I played the first one and thought it was total garbage, though I did play it early so it may have been all the bugs that ruined it for me. Just a word of advice: this is to the greifers, if you see a new player, don't pk them a ton, because it'll just end up turning them off from the game and they will end up quitting, it happens in many pvp based games. Then the game will just bleed subs and die off within about 3 months.

Honestly though if the devs were smart though would have made the game free to play, because that way no matter how shitty or bad the game is, it usualy keeps getting new players. I'd want to play DF:UW but I am not willing to buy it after how horrible the first game was when i tried a trial. Maybe a freemium type system where people who sub get increased skill gain rate and such, and maybe some other perks. Sub based mmo's aren't really making it anymore in todays market, look at lotro for example, it did poorly so they had to make it f2p, and once they did, they had more active players and were making much more money than when it was sub based.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

12/07/12 2:23:46 PM#43
Originally posted by ragz45
Going to be amazed if the game has more than 60000 active subs by feb.  I think just like the original that DF:UW will garner a very very hardcore dedicated following.  But not grow beyond that.

I'd say they would be lucky to get 10k, 5k more realsitically, the market for games like DF is very VERY small. The devs would probally make more profit by making the game f2p, with a option to sub for perks, maybe have a few non-p2w items in a cash shop. I'd play DFUW if you could only have stuff that is not equipped looted. Sorry but, you guys spout about how you like being able to loot others, but I bet when you get looted it really annoys you, because now you have to get new items.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Hancakes

Novice Member

12/07/12 2:33:14 PM#44
Originally posted by Siveria

My prediction is it'll be dead in about 3-4 months due to the immaturity of the community now a days chasing off new players that keep the game going.

Yawn...The first Darkfall lasted over 3 years and I doubt the community has changed in the last month.

Also, UW will also be the test bed for the pending Asian client.  So given the millions $ invested, I highly doubt UW will be closing in the next few months.

Lahuzer

Elite Member

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me...

12/07/12 2:39:18 PM#45
Please let it launch in time first. :P Then let us play it for 4-6 months. Then we´ll have a better grasp on how good it is.
  Braavosi

Novice Member

12/07/12 2:40:00 PM#46

My prediction:  I WILL BE PLAYING IT AND LOVING IT. 

HATERS GONNA HATE.

Hancakes

Novice Member

12/07/12 2:53:31 PM#47
Going to be amazed if the game has more than 60000 active subs by feb.  I think just like the original that DF:UW will garner a very very hardcore dedicated following.  But not grow beyond that.

I'd say they would be lucky to get 10k, 5k more realsitically, the market for games like DF is very VERY small.

Could you been any more misinformed? Darkfall 1 sold over 150,000 copies with almost  500,000 players trying the trials over the last 3 years.

Linaks

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 2:59:03 PM#48
Originally posted by Hancakes

I'd say they would be lucky to get 10k, 5k more realsitically, the market for games like DF is very VERY small.

Could you been any more misinformed? Darkfall 1 sold over 150,000 copies with almost  500,000 players trying the trials over the last 3 years.

That's the truth ! :D

Badaboom

Elite Member

12/07/12 3:00:28 PM#49

High sub numbers have nothing to do with game quality (Not directed to you Mr. Cakes).

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 3:00:32 PM#50

Uh huh.

And out of those 150k copies sold, how many even made it through the first 30 days before leaving, never paying a sub?

Out of those 500k trials, how many actually bought the game afterwards? Obviously not very many, if 500k tried the game, but 150k was the total copies sold over the games lifetime.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Badaboom

Elite Member

12/07/12 3:13:00 PM#51
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Uh huh.

And out of those 150k copies sold, how many even made it through the first 30 days before leaving, never paying a sub?

Out of those 500k trials, how many actually bought the game afterwards? Obviously not very many, if 500k tried the game, but 150k was the total copies sold over the games lifetime.

Once again, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game.  Say what you will about the game but Darkfall had pretty high retention rates.  It was really only the grind that was getting to people as well as people deciding to sit out and wait for the highly touted successor, Unholy Wars.

Hancakes

Novice Member

12/07/12 3:16:34 PM#52

Uh huh.

Your point? They obviously had enough to keep DF going for the last 3 years while working on the UW project.

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 3:16:40 PM#53
Originally posted by Badaboom

Uh huh.

Once again, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game.  Say what you will about the game but Darkfall had pretty high retention rates.  It was really only the grind that was getting to people as well as people deciding to sit out and wait for the highly touted successor, Unholy Wars.

If it had "pretty high" retention rates, you'd be telling me what those rates were. In fact, you wouldn't need to because Tasos would have been using them to gloat.

And retention rates have EVRYTHING to do with the quality of a game. The higher the quality and value, the less people leave.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Raserei

Novice Member

OP  12/07/12 3:20:41 PM#54
#1 game of all time! DECEMBER 12TH!!!
  Scellow

Novice Member

12/07/12 3:22:12 PM#55
Agreed ! just hope the sub will be cheap x)
  Badaboom

Elite Member

12/07/12 3:25:28 PM#56

Uh huh.

If it had "pretty high" retention rates, you'd be telling me what those rates were. In fact, you wouldn't need to because Tasos would have been using them to gloat.

And retention rates have EVRYTHING to do with the quality of a game. The higher the quality and value, the less people leave.

[mod edit]

I know retention was high from experience.  I played with the same people for a few years.  We were facing the same enemies for many years.  Yes, good retention does speak volumes for the quality of the game.  I was not arguing that.

PS:  Retention should not include dumbasses who purchase this game without knowing the FFA PvP aspects as the core feature and then leave crying.

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 3:28:54 PM#57

Uh huh.

[mod edit]

I know retention was high from experience.  I played with the same people for a few years.  We were facing the same enemies for many years.  Yes, good retention does speak volumes for the quality of the game.  I was not arguing that.

[mod edit]

So you know retention was high because a limited amount of people you knew in the game stuck around?

Let's make this clearer. Just from your own info, out of 500k trials ( which were not even available throughout the games lifetime ), only 150k sales ( total, including before and after trials were available ) can be confirmed ( not even subsequent subs, just initial sales ).

This means that while 150k who tried it thought the game was worth at least buying ( and again, not even 150k because the trial came well after launch and well after the majority of initial purchases, but I'm humoring you with your own numbers for simplicities sake )., 350k thought it wasn't and walked away without giving up a dime.

500k - 150k = a mere 25% of people who tried DF bought a copy.

Out of those, how many stayed? THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO ANSWER.

Badaboom

Elite Member

12/07/12 3:30:40 PM#58

[mod edit]

So you know retention was high because a limited amount of people you knew in the game stuck around?

I speak to my experience, yes.

Edit:  Did you play?

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 3:31:15 PM#59

Uh huh.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I speak to my experience, yes.

Let's make this clearer. Just from your own info, out of 500k trials ( which were not even available throughout the games lifetime ), only 150k sales ( total, including before and after trials were available ) can be confirmed ( not even subsequent subs, just initial sales ).

This means that while 150k who tried it thought the game was worth at least buying ( and again, not even 150k because the trial came well after launch and well after the majority of initial purchases, but I'm humoring you with your own numbers for simplicities sake )., 350k thought it wasn't and walked away without giving up a dime.

500k - 150k = a mere 25% of people who tried DF bought a copy.

Out of those, how many stayed? THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO ANSWER.

EDIT: You know what, let's be generous.

Let's say 25% of that 25% continued to sub for at least one month.

That's 37,500 total subs in the lifetime of the game. And that's only for those who stayed for at least one month past purchase.

Then that number drops again, 2 months after, 3 months after, 6 months after, etc. ( these are the common amounts of time people will purchase upfront at the time of initial game purchase if they REALLY like the game at that particular time ).

Honestly, if you could prove to me DF had even 5,000 currently active subscribing players when the servers finally went offline, I'd consider you a successful DF defender.

SuprGamerX

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 5:35:47 PM#60

Yes , yes , let's get this over with already. 

Dark Fall will be amazing , the most innovated game ever to be created!!  With features and customization coming out the wazoo!!     

*yawns*    Back to tetris...

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search