Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,768 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,382
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » I would play this game if....

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
112 posts found
  Randayn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/16/12
Posts: 584

 
OP  9/29/12 9:28:26 PM#1

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting....

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

  king0fmars

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/12
Posts: 44

9/29/12 9:34:26 PM#2
How would looting work on your desired server? This would potentially be a game breaking change if not balanced properly. Honestly it seems like you really haven't thought this thru at all.
  SuperXero89

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/16/09
Posts: 2595

9/29/12 9:46:35 PM#3

Yup, FFA PVP has killed this game.  I can't speak for Unholy Wars, but the original Darkfall didn't even resemble much of an MMO.  It was just a massive slaughterfest where often times I couldn't play for over an hour without having someone gank me. Couldn't do close to half the things you could do in UO that didn't involve PvP combat.

Most of the time I would get rezzed then the PKer would explain how he was RPing a mass murderer as if that makes everything ok.  I just sighed and logged back into WoW.

  Randayn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/16/12
Posts: 584

 
OP  9/29/12 9:47:28 PM#4
Originally posted by king0fmars
How would looting work on your desired server? This would potentially be a game breaking change if not balanced properly. Honestly it seems like you really haven't thought this thru at all.

haha....I leave that up to the devs man.  My only suggestion would be is to code it so that created characters cannot be looted...Im sure the fix could be pretty minimal:

 

If char = created

then (object) "Lock Loot"

End

 

Im not saying it would be that easy to write, but im sure it couldn't be too much harder....of course they'd have to create the object as well.  Don't know gaming code though...only VB and Excel Macros...

  king0fmars

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/12
Posts: 44

9/29/12 10:13:44 PM#5
I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.
  thinktank001

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1762

9/29/12 11:04:51 PM#6
Originally posted by king0fmars
I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.

 

The OP is a bit confusing.   At first I thought he didn't like that anyone could loot your corpse, but it appears he doesn't like the concept of full loot.   I don't think the problem is full loot, but that AV really needs to take a hard look at setting up " safe " areas similar to EVE.   

 

 

 

  Sicc1

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/12/07
Posts: 232

9/29/12 11:07:33 PM#7
There's plenty of games for people like you. Let us have one.

Darkfall - Sick
Earthrise - Sick

  Onigod

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/24/07
Posts: 673

9/29/12 11:18:42 PM#8
Originally posted by SuperXero89

Yup, FFA PVP has killed this game.  I can't speak for Unholy Wars, but the original Darkfall didn't even resemble much of an MMO.  It was just a massive slaughterfest where often times I couldn't play for over an hour without having someone gank me. Couldn't do close to half the things you could do in UO that didn't involve PvP combat.

Most of the time I would get rezzed then the PKer would explain how he was RPing a mass murderer as if that makes everything ok.  I just sighed and logged back into WoW.

I have played Darkfall for years long and i can tell that many people have given up on the game to quickly.

 

Ofcourse at launch no one really had anything special. people didnt yet figure out all the possibilities and some didnt like the game as a sandbox and killed some time pvping.

After that the economy, clans started to settle and ofcourse theres pvp and you got ganked (If you dont like that part stay away from the game)  but the slaughterfest was gone. There were not many players that would just pk everyone because that would lead to them having a bad name.

 

The same thing will happen in unholy wars.  it will be a kill everything you see for the first month.

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

9/29/12 11:23:11 PM#9
Originally posted by Randayn

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting....

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in

Someone could make a game called "FFA Full loot 24/7" and advertise as being just that, yet there would be someone asking for  another Trammel.  Darkfall has clearly stated what type of game it is. Now run along....

  helthros

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/24/09
Posts: 1452

9/29/12 11:25:30 PM#10

Full loot is part of the charm. In EVE Online there's a saying that somewhat applies to this game - "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

 

If you want to walk around in the super badass armor or with tons of coin on your person, then you better be ready to deal with the aftermath of losing it. That risk vs reward plays a HUGE part in any good sandbox.

 

Having said that, the next major part of any good sandbox is the community and aligning yourself with others. That FFA Full Loot has a lot more purpose behind it when you're looting a sworn enemy.

 

In themeparks you send your fallen foe to the grave, he incurs a minor silver penalty in repairs at best, but he's really no worse for the wear other than maybe a bruised ego. In sandbox games with looting it's that much more exciting and brings a whole new meaning to guilds/corps and the alliances/enemies that develop as a result.

  Talemire

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/01/06
Posts: 730

Jesus is Lord.

9/29/12 11:28:13 PM#11
Easy... Make it so that when X player kills Y player, X player gets a duped copy of whatever Y player is wearing plus all in his/her inventory, with Y player allowed to keep everything that's equipped. Only things that wouldn't get duped would be things that are not equipped and in the inventory.

------------------------------
MMORPGs are great to look forward to after a hard day of work, but heaven is the ultimate reward for those who live Christ-like.

  Flute

Novice Member

Joined: 1/21/07
Posts: 432

9/30/12 12:14:46 AM#12
Originally posted by Randayn

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting....

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

What you need for Unholy Wars is a real clan. 

 

A lot of people never knew that the most dangerous places in the game were near the NPC cities, when you were alone.  When based out of a player city with a good clan, if you were killed the pvpers would immediately gather and give chase to the PKs, and then hunter became the hunted.  There is nothing quite so satisfying as getting killed, losing everything, then listening in voice comms as your buddies hunt down and butcher the PKs, and then ask you to meet up at the bank to give your things back.

 

So yes, real clans who actively defend their player city and surrounding areas will be (and always were) absolutely critical to your in-game experience.  Solo, it will always hurt.

  xpiher

Elite Member

Joined: 8/22/08
Posts: 3235

9/30/12 12:22:38 AM#13


Originally posted by Randayn there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature. The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting.... Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...
 

FFA Full loot is one of the aspects about DFO that makes it decent. It didn't kill the game, its the reason why it had an audiance at all. Its what made death matter (no armor damage/decay/destruction doesn't do the same thing). Its what made random encounter PvP intresting. Its how zergs got destroyed. Without full loot, the game wouldn't be worth playing TBH. 

Besides, why would you want to trun off this aspect. All gear in the game is easily and always will be easily replaceable. Its not like you die it takes 100s of hrs to replace a gear set.


Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

  xpiher

Elite Member

Joined: 8/22/08
Posts: 3235

9/30/12 12:27:17 AM#14
Originally posted by Talemire
Easy... Make it so that when X player kills Y player, X player gets a duped copy of whatever Y player is wearing plus all in his/her inventory, with Y player allowed to keep everything that's equipped. Only things that wouldn't get duped would be things that are not equipped and in the inventory.

Yes, becuase this isn't exploitable. Nope not at all. Oh and this does nothing to harm the economy of the game. nope 


Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

  sindur

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/12
Posts: 11

9/30/12 3:57:37 AM#15

The full loot is the main reasone i started playing this game. I remember i was in my brothers room watching him play this Darkfall Game, and when he said it was Full loot, i was like omg i can kill people and steal there stuff, that is so awsome. If it havent been Full loot this game would have been dead one month after realse.

Darkfall is based around the concept of Full loot, if they changed that which they would never do this game would have sucked monkey balls, if you dont want Full loot you should go play some cearbear games like Guild wars 2 or WoW, Beacuse if you become a known Cearbear in darkfall everyone will hate you and kill you just because you are a cearbear

  PsyMike3d

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/01/11
Posts: 381

Sorry for my English xD

9/30/12 4:08:48 AM#16
FFA loot its not for everybody. I believe it is the best element of DF. The feeling of losing really something when you die its unique. Fear doesnt exists in nodays games only the need to gear up fast, lvl up fast. Embrace  FFA loot and u'll see what i mean, maybe not fast though.
  chryses

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/29/07
Posts: 1438

9/30/12 4:15:12 AM#17

I think its commendable that they have gone FFA looting. However, the issue is, they wipe a massive chunk of subscribing players off their books.  I am not saying don't make it FFA but maybe everything in the inventory only and maybe 1 random drop from what you are wearing.

I tried playing this game but two things killed it off immediately.

1 - FFA looting. Not against it but I can't deal with that when I only have a limited amount of game time in my RL.

2 - Inventory and interface. It felt like a bad day job.  I felt depressed every time I had to drag and drop 1000 items from inventory to whatever.  This also highlighted the issue with FFA looting.  The concept of having to drag and drop so many times in an MMO, just kills the enjoyment.

In saying that I want to try unholy wars and hope they have a trial.

  fenistil

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/11
Posts: 3016

9/30/12 4:32:13 AM#18

Problem is not full loot but because this game is just one big fps deatchmatch it more resemble Planetside with swords, magic and bows than it resemble an mmorpg. 

Remember most of UO players was NOT pk reds or even devoted anti-reds.  Most were people that did all other things - exploring world, pve, crafting, housing, trading, role-playing, etc and some of them were occasionally PvP-ing.

 

Darkfall is feel like game made by  pk'ers / reds from UO to another pk'er / reds.  Aside from PvP and sieges - it is empty shell - there is nothing else.  + macro-heavy twitch combat resembling Quake more than it resemble most mmoprpg combat also scare significant part of potential playerbase. 

 

I mean it is good that people that like this game will have an expansion and will have good time for a while.  Kudos to you.

This game does not have any chance to bring significant playerbase for above reasons. Also it is not possible to change it, changes would drive big part of existing playerbase and I don't believe that developer have resources to make huge wide array of changes to it.  Besides I don't even want it to change.  Iam FAR from changing anyone's so much that it start to be diffrent kind of a game.

 

 

So when I think "I would play this game if..... nothing realistical can be put here" .  

 

I was waiting for this game years ago as it was said to be next UO.  Sorry but apart of seamless world and medieval themeI really don't see much similarities between those games.

Also this will be considered blasphemy by some - total FFA PVP everywhere for mmorpg will NOT WORK.   This is why UO got more players when they introduced Trammel. Of course it was clusterfuck because it was band aid that did not make anyone happy.

EvE Online did it much better.  There is huge part of game that is practially almost PVP free and that is only way sandboxes with open world pvp can thrive.  Total unresticted pvp wont work of course unless you plan to have more than 1-2k players.

  User Deleted
9/30/12 4:32:21 AM#19
In a word, no.

 

  Raxeon

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/10/10
Posts: 2044

9/30/12 4:43:58 AM#20
Originally posted by fenistil

Problem is not full loot but because this game is just one big fps deatchmatch it more resemble Planetside with swords, magic and bows than it resemble an mmorpg. 

Remember most of UO players was NOT pk reds or even devoted anti-reds.  Most were people that did all other things - exploring world, pve, crafting, housing, trading, role-playing, etc and some of them were occasionally PvP-ing.

 

Darkfall is feel like game made by  pk'ers / reds from UO to another pk'er / reds.  Aside from PvP and sieges - it is empty shell - there is nothing else.  + macro-heavy twitch combat resembling Quake more than it resemble most mmoprpg combat also scare significant part of potential playerbase. 

 

I mean it is good that people that like this game will have an expansion and will have good time for a while.  Kudos to you.

This game does not have any chance to bring significant playerbase for above reasons. Also it is not possible to change it, changes would drive big part of existing playerbase and I don't believe that developer have resources to make huge wide array of changes to it.  Besides I don't even want it to change.  Iam FAR from changing anyone's so much that it start to be diffrent kind of a game.

 

 

So when I think "I would play this game if..... nothing realistical can be put here" .  

 

I was waiting for this game years ago as it was said to be next UO.  Sorry but apart of seamless world and medieval themeI really don't see much similarities between those games.

Also this will be considered blasphemy by some - total FFA PVP everywhere for mmorpg will NOT WORK.   This is why UO got more players when they introduced Trammel. Of course it was clusterfuck because it was band aid that did not make anyone happy.

EvE Online did it much better.  There is huge part of game that is practially almost PVP free and that is only way sandboxes with open world pvp can thrive.  Total unresticted pvp wont work of course unless you plan to have more than 1-2k players.

they have abigger dev team this time around so i actlly think they have more resources this time around and have learned from there mistakes

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search