Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,305 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,670
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » If your new or interested in DFUW, look here!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

10/31/13 7:00:03 AM#21
I played the game a few days on a friends account. The population is so low. That's a killer for me. If there's hardly anyone playing an mmo, there's no reason for me to bother with it, and I can usually get over graphics and/or  a terrible UI, but this game is pitiful. Needless to say, I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

MrBoots

Novice Member

10/31/13 7:28:06 AM#22
Originally posted by The1ceQueen
I played the game a few days on a friends account. The population is so low. That's a killer for me. If there's hardly anyone playing an mmo, there's no reason for me to bother with it, and I can usually get over graphics and/or  a terrible UI, but this game is pitiful. Needless to say, I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

Many of us bought it hoping AV had learned their lesson in DFO. We thought they would interact with the community more and patch in new stuff frequently. They even claimed to have content ready to patch in rapidly. That didn't happen, and people grew tired of broken promises. Many of them were more loyal than AV deserved. Eventually they started giving up hope and left the game. Now the population is critically low, and that's driving even more players away. I guess you could call it dominoes falling or a failure cascade.

Kyarra

Advanced Member

10/31/13 7:34:57 AM#23
I played DF1 and enjoyed it, but getting ganked all the time got on my nerves after awhile. I still say make a server that has pve and opt-in PVP for sieges and such like SWG, and I would come back to this game in a heartbeat. Not all of us like hardcore sandbox type games..I have enough stress in my life as it is :P
  Deerhunter71

Hard Core Member

10/31/13 9:10:36 AM#24
Originally posted by kinghussien
Originally posted by Holophonist

Don't bother looking for honest answers at the official forums. Because all you'll get is people telling you the game is great, loads of fun, big population etc, when that is very far from the truth.

What an absolute joke. That game is SO MUCH BETTER than the community makes it out to be. People complain about AV's communication or other trivial things that don't matter when it comes to how you're going to experience the game. The official forums are full of people who had their feelings hurt by a videogame company and can't judge the game based on what it actually is.

Simply put, there are no other games offering anything close to what Darkfall is. And yet you guys just sh*t all over it for some reason.

Like I said above, what is trivial to you is not trivial to the next person. I made this thread to give fair warning to potential players. I'm sure those players are smart enough to make their own decision taking into account all our opinions.

A drunken dev did a stream with a couple long term players saying they only had 20k subs and needed 35k (some believe he meant 2k and 3.5k respectively because the server can only hold 10000 players) to break even. They owe people all around town and developers are not getting paid. An important thing to take note is that it was said that the coders/designers are inexperienced but they are awesome and the guy who wrote the network code is a genius...except that if that was true then he wouldn't be working for AV, he would be working for Blizzard or a real professional game company.

The game is a shell of an MMO. Take away the 1 thing that is unique to: full loot and theres not much left. Seiging is unplayable because of low frame rates. 

They have been at this for 12 years and its the same thing over and over again. They can't keep using the 'indie' excuse. Theres a time they need to put the big boy panties on and face their playerbase like adults willing to listen, not children trying to bury their heads in the sand. 

At the end of the day, everything's on AV's head. From cultivating and nourishing their community, promotion and marketing, to how they police the gameworld itself is completely whack. Right now their losing money and in panic mode. Much like a country is losing a war, instead of being upfront with their people, leaders will end up spinning the truth to make it seem like their winning. The only difference between how a fascist country might act and AV is that AV doesn't say anything...at all.

Take a step back and look at how much of this post is related to the game itself: almost none. The only thing you touched on was sieging, saying they were unplayable. They're not. I have videos of myself enjoying many sieges. 

You guys are giving AV way too much shit about the "potential" of the game. I agree that the game could be WAY better than what it is, but that has nothing to do with how you should view the game that exists. There are a lot of things about the game that you will quite plainly not find in any other MMO currently. There's something to say for that.

Could you list these things that the game has that no other game has?

I didn't say much about DFUW because its absolute garbage. Have you even logged into DFUW and seen the interface!?

Last November - 1 whole year ago they stated was it 28 or so dungeons were completed and ready to go.  And now 1 year later there are what - 3 or is it 4 or 5?  That is just one example of many with the problems this game suffers.  Again the game had tons of potential and simply was poor execution.

Deerhunter71

Hard Core Member

10/31/13 9:12:50 AM#25
Originally posted by MrBoots

Many of us bought it hoping AV had learned their lesson in DFO. We thought they would interact with the community more and patch in new stuff frequently. They even claimed to have content ready to patch in rapidly. That didn't happen, and people grew tired of broken promises. Many of them were more loyal than AV deserved. Eventually they started giving up hope and left the game. Now the population is critically low, and that's driving even more players away. I guess you could call it dominoes falling or a failure cascade.

This is completely spot on!  Great summary.

Badaboom

Advanced Member

10/31/13 9:57:06 AM#26

Darkfall is an excellent game and perfectly playable.  I've had more fun in Darkfall than in any other of the MMO's that I've played...combined.  The main problem was AV releasing this new version of Darkfall unfinished and then taking so long to put in the remainder of promised things.  Some of these are very basic things like city tower cannons.  You only get one chance to make a first impression, and for AV they had two (DF1, UW).

AV has been on a long road and the vision from when they started has changed and evolved to where we are now.  So the other problem that I see is that the current and future potential buyers don't know what that vision now is?  Is Darkfall going to be fleshed out with more sandbox tools?  Is it's focus more inline with arena pvp?

Lastly, Darkfall could release a jesus patch on steroids tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.  The population would not swell/surge.  For that to happen you would need a very concerted effort of marketing this game.  The community would also have to bring in family and friends.  A viral campaign would need to happen...and I just don't see that happening.  I think AV missed the boat, but I hope I'm wrong.

stux

Advanced Member

10/31/13 9:43:58 PM#27

Don't bother looking for honest answers at the official forums. Because all you'll get is people telling you the game is great, loads of fun, big population etc, when that is very far from the truth.

What an absolute joke. That game is SO MUCH BETTER than the community makes it out to be. People complain about AV's communication or other trivial things that don't matter when it comes to how you're going to experience the game. The official forums are full of people who had their feelings hurt by a videogame company and can't judge the game based on what it actually is.

Simply put, there are no other games offering anything close to what Darkfall is. And yet you guys just sh*t all over it for some reason.

Like I said above, what is trivial to you is not trivial to the next person. I made this thread to give fair warning to potential players. I'm sure those players are smart enough to make their own decision taking into account all our opinions.

A drunken dev did a stream with a couple long term players saying they only had 20k subs and needed 35k (some believe he meant 2k and 3.5k respectively because the server can only hold 10000 players) to break even. They owe people all around town and developers are not getting paid. An important thing to take note is that it was said that the coders/designers are inexperienced but they are awesome and the guy who wrote the network code is a genius...except that if that was true then he wouldn't be working for AV, he would be working for Blizzard or a real professional game company.

The game is a shell of an MMO. Take away the 1 thing that is unique to: full loot and theres not much left. Seiging is unplayable because of low frame rates. 

They have been at this for 12 years and its the same thing over and over again. They can't keep using the 'indie' excuse. Theres a time they need to put the big boy panties on and face their playerbase like adults willing to listen, not children trying to bury their heads in the sand. 

At the end of the day, everything's on AV's head. From cultivating and nourishing their community, promotion and marketing, to how they police the gameworld itself is completely whack. Right now their losing money and in panic mode. Much like a country is losing a war, instead of being upfront with their people, leaders will end up spinning the truth to make it seem like their winning. The only difference between how a fascist country might act and AV is that AV doesn't say anything...at all.

Take a step back and look at how much of this post is related to the game itself: almost none. The only thing you touched on was sieging, saying they were unplayable. They're not. I have videos of myself enjoying many sieges. 

You guys are giving AV way too much shit about the "potential" of the game. I agree that the game could be WAY better than what it is, but that has nothing to do with how you should view the game that exists. There are a lot of things about the game that you will quite plainly not find in any other MMO currently. There's something to say for that.

Just because its playable for you doesn't mean its playable for many others.  Sieges for about half of the people I have played with are barely playable if even.  No one I play with would say the are running well and not even comparable to DF1's last years.

Further, there is some random ping spike issues (making it not playable) a good percentage of people are having.  In order to fix it people are using third party software at another $10/mo to fix it.  I had this problem after the duelist patch.  For me it seemed to be tied to mumble.

Even that aside most people that play the game have to completely remove there anti-virus software to play the game.

The game that exists has a lot of problems.  

There are a fairly large number of bugs.  You kill someone in a building and the corpse fall into the graphics below the building.  Sieges have bugs with towers and walls that last I knew were never fixed.  Etc.

PvE stinks and needs to be reworked especially the loot tables.

There needs to be a reason to leave a city (or hold one)  other then the jump on a boat (mostly to afk) OR roam to find pvp.

Every time they add a role or balance batch its just switching the flavor of the month.  This makes for more problems for people that don't want more then one account, don't have to or desire to grind out another role, and aren't happy with the change.  They need a repec option if this is gong to continue.

I can go on but why?

Its needs at the bare minimum:

More of a reason to leave cities and kill mobs.  Village rewards reworked.

More reason to hold a city.

Fix performance - ping, sieges, so people don't have to remove AV , or any other problem on this subject.

Fix sieges.

They also need to rethink how various player relations are handled imo but that a whole other topic.

stux

Advanced Member

10/31/13 9:49:12 PM#28

This is very accurate.  Many think if AV had patched DF1 more often it wouldn't have had the population problem it did at the end.

SirFubar

Novice Member

10/31/13 10:04:23 PM#29
The blatant hackers/exploiters with the fact that AV doesn't do anything to ban them is enough to stay far far away from this game. 
  User Deleted
10/31/13 11:41:51 PM#30

spot on

Holophonist

Hard Core Member

11/02/13 5:28:08 PM#31
Originally posted by Deerhunter71

Could you list these things that the game has that no other game has?

I didn't say much about DFUW because its absolute garbage. Have you even logged into DFUW and seen the interface!?

Last November - 1 whole year ago they stated was it 28 or so dungeons were completed and ready to go.  And now 1 year later there are what - 3 or is it 4 or 5?  That is just one example of many with the problems this game suffers.  Again the game had tons of potential and simply was poor execution.

No it's an example of AV lying. That's my point. So many people rag on the game because they got their feelings hurt. The bottom line is I'd rather play DFUW than basically any AAA, super polished themepark.

Holophonist

Hard Core Member

11/02/13 5:36:16 PM#32
Originally posted by stux

Just because its playable for you doesn't mean its playable for many others.  Sieges for about half of the people I have played with are barely playable if even.  No one I play with would say the are running well and not even comparable to DF1's last years.

Further, there is some random ping spike issues (making it not playable) a good percentage of people are having.  In order to fix it people are using third party software at another $10/mo to fix it.  I had this problem after the duelist patch.  For me it seemed to be tied to mumble.

Even that aside most people that play the game have to completely remove there anti-virus software to play the game.

The game that exists has a lot of problems.  

There are a fairly large number of bugs.  You kill someone in a building and the corpse fall into the graphics below the building.  Sieges have bugs with towers and walls that last I knew were never fixed.  Etc.

PvE stinks and needs to be reworked especially the loot tables.

There needs to be a reason to leave a city (or hold one)  other then the jump on a boat (mostly to afk) OR roam to find pvp.

Every time they add a role or balance batch its just switching the flavor of the month.  This makes for more problems for people that don't want more then one account, don't have to or desire to grind out another role, and aren't happy with the change.  They need a repec option if this is gong to continue.

I can go on but why?

Its needs at the bare minimum:

More of a reason to leave cities and kill mobs.  Village rewards reworked.

More reason to hold a city.

Fix performance - ping, sieges, so people don't have to remove AV , or any other problem on this subject.

Fix sieges.

They also need to rethink how various player relations are handled imo but that a whole other topic.

I get that the game has problems but they all just seem like excuses for people who already want to hate AV. As I've said before, I'd still play a buggy, unfinished DFUW over a lot of themepark games, but people don't seem to have the same toxic rhetoric about them because they don't have the same potential that DFUW does.

This is especially true for the people who actively play the game. Clearly you're enjoying the game enough to play it. I'm not sure how it could be so god awful if you're paying to play it. And if you're paying to play it based on promises or expectations, then that's your problem.

aspekx

Advanced Member

11/02/13 5:49:17 PM#33
Originally posted by Mardukk
but they have wasted a lot of players time with lies and vague announcements. 

ive noted this game and company off and on since pre-launch of the original game. frankly, nothing's changed.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

2 Pages « 1 2 Search