Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,797,663 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,695
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » This Looks Like The Only Good Fantasy MMO Out Right Now, Some Issues Though

7 posts found
  Cassius808

Apprentice Member

OP  8/31/13 3:10:20 PM#1

I am really picky with what MMO's I play. The only MMO games that I have ever played were World of Warcraft, Perfect World Online and Guild Wars if you consider that an MMO. I got bored of all these games. I played WoW the longest but on retail I quit after level 37, I remember I was getting annoyed by these orc mobs who kept killing me but I just thought to myself "what is the point of this game"? Then I quit. I played WoW 2 other times on private servers, each time I got bored and quit after 3-4 months. All in all, I logged 500 hours on world of warcrap. What wow did well was the lore was great and the game world was very diverse and looked amazing but it had generic MMO gameplay and really bad pvp. I prefer PVP but I do still like PVE.

I used to hate Darkfall Unholy Wars because judging from some warrior videos, it looked like you constantly run around like an idiot swinging your weapon at the enemy and never using block. Also, do people mostly use 2 handed weapons? The melee classes. I think I can get over how the melee gameplay involves constantly running around and swinging your weapon. The graphics and gameplay (except for player models) really remind me of Elder Scrolls Oblivion and I love the Elder Scrolls games. Even though Elder Scrolls Online looks like it will have better graphics and gameplay then this game, the major downside is all PVP is restricted to Cyrodiil which is pathetic. I enjoy playing PVP in a variety of geographic regions, not all in some big grasslands region with some snowy areas around Bruma. ESO will probably never have true open world pvp unless they released some huge expansion with an entire new pvp continent. 

The only things that I don't like about DF Unholy Wars is the player models look really bad. The first game had nicer looking player models and they made all the races the same size which is stupid! I know they did it because of balance issues but they should have had different heights/weights for each race. You should have also been able to adjust your height and weight in the parameters of your racial traits, it would not be a big difference though in terms of size/height. Isn't there supposed to be a player model update to make them look better?

Also what bothers me is the cities, do the cities in this game really feel alive? Like NPC civilians and a lot of NPC's everywhere? Also, can you create a Village/Hamlet/Town and City? There are no quests in this game right? So what are some objectives you have? Do you get missions? I hope so. I hope theres some type of system that is like questing. All in all, I figure all the things you can do in this mmo are PVE, PVE Dungeon Raids, Random open world pvp, Sieges, clan wars, attacking enemy hamlets/villages/towns/cities and naval battles. So there are 7 different things you can do in this game which is good for an MMO.

This will probably be the only MMO I play if I like it and if I don't like Planetside 2. The only other MMO's that I am looking foward to are Black Desert Online, WildStar Online and Everquest Next. Probably not going to try TESO because of the pvp being restricted to Cyrodiil. 

HealingHands

Novice Member

8/31/13 3:24:17 PM#2

Hey Cassius,

I've played both df1 and currently play DFUW and I can tell you that the game is only about half of what you want.

The combat is deeper than running around in circles melee-ing people, although that's a big part of playing warrior. It gets much deeper as you take into account alot of ambient factors like numbers of friendlies/enemies, terrain, morale, gear, positioning, etc. Parrying is something every class should do, warriors just don't need to often. As a support class primalist switching between sword&board and staff is one of the main ways I stay alive in a hectic fight.

There's no quests at all, and don't expect the kind of immersion you get from interacting with NPCs at any level. In fact it's almost safe to say there will be 0 NPC interaction aside from farming mobs. The conquest/territory system is barebone but its got the foundation for something better. Namely, it's just one key patch away from being "good" which is to make all the holdings (city/hamlet/etc.) worth more to own.

The open world full-loot pvp is great. Team fights can be really fun if you  are playing wit & against people who know what they are doing. Harvesting/Crafting in the game is pretty cool as well. Crafting is not complex, but it's not retarded simple either. You can harvest/loot a variety of raw materials that you combine to make refined materials, multiples of which you combine to create items such as weapons, armor, food, potions, etc.

The baseline experience is there. I think its worth a sub to play, and I don't regret the time/money I spent in the game because the experiences I had it were worth it. I do sincerely hope it will improve vastly in the future though, because it can be so much more than what it is now.

Anyway there's no easy answer. But judging by your post you know what to expect. As I said, it's only about half of what you want it to be (same for me too). For me that half is enough, for now. Good luck.

gamekid2k

Novice Member

8/31/13 8:24:04 PM#3
Remember half is better than zero !  Enjoy what is out there now instead of having a pipe dream.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

IngemarVM

Novice Member

9/01/13 8:54:05 PM#4
Now might actually be a good time to start playing. With all the people quitting, you re bound to get lots of free gear as people clear out their banks.
  gamekid2k

Novice Member

9/02/13 12:21:18 AM#5
Originally posted by IngemarVM
Now might actually be a good time to start playing. With all the people quitting, you re bound to get lots of free gear as people clear out their banks.

We went out to do some PvE and got ganked 8 times by different people in different locations...  so much for quitting

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

wrekognize

Novice Member

9/02/13 10:38:37 PM#6
Originally posted by gamekid2k

We went out to do some PvE and got ganked 8 times by different people in different locations...  so much for quitting

yeah it's still pretty active.

User Deleted
9/02/13 10:57:17 PM#7
Originally posted by wrekognize
Originally posted by gamekid2k

yeah it's still pretty active.

Yeah, "active" games normally run 50% off specials.   Is this the second or the third time now?