Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,641,243 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,799
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » Been playing a short time and here it is !...My life

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
39 posts found
  page975

Apprentice Member

OP  6/25/13 6:43:58 PM#21
Originally posted by gamekid2k
OP, here is a suggestion for you (I know this Will cause qq from elite players). Take a One day break. Make 5 sets of  padded armor and place it in the bank. Take a mount and ride out With R10 armor and bind to a stone outside safe zone. Do what we call naked run where if you get ganked you lose nothing. Let the sandbox nature of this game entertain you. You may come across chaos, chest, players grave, gank squd, or even jump on some one on mob or afk. My point is take a well deserve vacation and experiment.  Also most ppl are bad in pvp so dont worry too much about training

This is a great Idea, I'm working on the mats now to craft 5 full bags. This should give me 5 good fights or more if I win any of them. I would like to venture north. A few days ago I made my way far off, and things got less populated with players and the world is so nice to see all the things.

I could really use some chest with a lot of gold, that is my downfall...Money !

gamekid2k

Novice Member

6/25/13 11:36:46 PM#22
Originally posted by page975
OP, here is a suggestion for you (I know this Will cause qq from elite players). Take a One day break. Make 5 sets of  padded armor and place it in the bank. Take a mount and ride out With R10 armor and bind to a stone outside safe zone. Do what we call naked run where if you get ganked you lose nothing. Let the sandbox nature of this game entertain you. You may come across chaos, chest, players grave, gank squd, or even jump on some one on mob or afk. My point is take a well deserve vacation and experiment.  Also most ppl are bad in pvp so dont worry too much about training

This is a great Idea, I'm working on the mats now to craft 5 full bags. This should give me 5 good fights or more if I win any of them. I would like to venture north. A few days ago I made my way far off, and things got less populated with players and the world is so nice to see all the things.

I could really use some chest with a lot of gold, that is my downfall...Money !

Found this video someone posted in the DF forum. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1dxHuAvis

Its mostly a naked causing some serious trouble !

Good luck in your adventure.  As for money kill those rats in the city sewer and spend more time skinning than looting.  You can easily sell 1000 raw hide for 8000 ~ 10000 gold.  You get the picture :-)

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Blindchance

Novice Member

6/26/13 4:30:56 AM#23
Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Been playing for over a week. <...>

i have been playing original DF for 3,5 years and  was subbed to DF:UW for the first month ( and Beta)  and its difficult for me to undersrtand how you get excited over sucgh a shallow designed game. Probably honeymoon that will wear out in a month...

You sound like you missed any good MMORPG experience from the past  golden age of MMOPRG's...

This, plus the complaint about harvesting + pve grind. MMORPGs in general are becoming for me a dead, pointless genre. People who play any MMOs usually have too much free time and don't value it as anyone else.

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  7/02/13 5:02:33 AM#24

My Clan is large and at times hardcore, but they are very noob friendly, they even have a noob channel in Teamspeak, one for asking stupid questions and another for higher players to train noobs in many ways.

I have almost 11 K prowess, thats still low.  Last night we went fishing on an advanced players boat. I know what your thinking "fishing ?"....That sucks !.............Well, anything but.  We all had to watch the shore line for chest and players . If we see anyone were to jump off an attack them, we had some good battles only for me to get ganked and I lost everything . I should have stoped when I was ahead.  Even lost a map and my mount.

I hope we can go fishing tonight ( its not about fishing ).

Its a way of life not just a game, kind of like what mmos used to be !

gamekid2k

Novice Member

7/02/13 1:43:39 PM#25
What clan is this? Ruin? Many new players can benefit from a newbie friendly clan. Share the treasure.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  7/02/13 3:00:56 PM#26
What clan is this? Ruin? Many new players can benefit from a newbie friendly clan. Share the treasure.

Yes Ruin...They are extremely helpful to new players.

User Deleted
7/02/13 3:03:53 PM#27
Originally posted by Blindchance

i have been playing original DF for 3,5 years and  was subbed to DF:UW for the first month ( and Beta)  and its difficult for me to undersrtand how you get excited over sucgh a shallow designed game. Probably honeymoon that will wear out in a month...

You sound like you missed any good MMORPG experience from the past  golden age of MMOPRG's...

This, plus the complaint about harvesting + pve grind. MMORPGs in general are becoming for me a dead, pointless genre. People who play any MMOs usually have too much free time and don't value it as anyone else.

Well I don't see the need to insult people who like different games/ play styles...

IMO this mindset is what is killing the mmorpg genre.  Too many people just want a quick shallow, arcade/action experience with little to no backround, effort or progression behind it.  In this sense mmorpg are dead since many other game genres do this far better...despite the recent move to appeal to this audience.

This game appeals a lot more to someone like me, who isn't in some arbitrary race to get maxed out (endgame if it existed here) first, or obsessed with playing a RPG in the most unfun way possible: extreme efficiency on progression.  This mindset turns any game into grind.

Im not in a race, I sometimes want to play and progress while I chat on TS, or while im tabbed out doing other stuff...sometimes I want intense action but I don't need it every second of gameplay.  I have patience, im not a 10 year old with ADD...games like DF and games made first generation appeal to me because there is risk, thought required, progression, and something to do for those who want pvp and pve.

If I wanted some (here comes the buzzwords!) no grind, groundbreaking, dynamic, game with tons of content...I wouldn't be playing mmorpgs.  Nor would I play a mmorpg if all I wanted was quick no strings attached pvp at my fingertips.  So many other games do this better.

I like games like this because I can play a few hours a day, with a long game session on sunday...for months...and still have lots of progression and stuff to do.  Its not a race for me, making games a race and therefore a grind isn't fun...so why do it? 

gamekid2k

Novice Member

7/02/13 10:26:28 PM#28
Originally posted by Strangerous

Well I don't see the need to insult people who like different games/ play styles...

IMO this mindset is what is killing the mmorpg genre.  Too many people just want a quick shallow, arcade/action experience with little to no backround, effort or progression behind it.  In this sense mmorpg are dead since many other game genres do this far better...despite the recent move to appeal to this audience.

This game appeals a lot more to someone like me, who isn't in some arbitrary race to get maxed out (endgame if it existed here) first, or obsessed with playing a RPG in the most unfun way possible: extreme efficiency on progression.  This mindset turns any game into grind.

Im not in a race, I sometimes want to play and progress while I chat on TS, or while im tabbed out doing other stuff...sometimes I want intense action but I don't need it every second of gameplay.  I have patience, im not a 10 year old with ADD...games like DF and games made first generation appeal to me because there is risk, thought required, progression, and something to do for those who want pvp and pve.

If I wanted some (here comes the buzzwords!) no grind, groundbreaking, dynamic, game with tons of content...I wouldn't be playing mmorpgs.  Nor would I play a mmorpg if all I wanted was quick no strings attached pvp at my fingertips.  So many other games do this better.

I like games like this because I can play a few hours a day, with a long game session on sunday...for months...and still have lots of progression and stuff to do.  Its not a race for me, making games a race and therefore a grind isn't fun...so why do it? 

QFT.  People complain they hate grind yet when they reach max level they quit.  I see a double standards.  One good thing with Dark Fall is that I have seen many low prowess people come out with a win against high prowess player.  Unlike other MMO, you can't just one shot a player (no 'I win' button) so prowess has less significance compare to pure skill.

User Deleted
7/03/13 1:03:10 PM#29
Originally posted by Strangerous

QFT.  People complain they hate grind yet when they reach max level they quit.  I see a double standards.  One good thing with Dark Fall is that I have seen many low prowess people come out with a win against high prowess player.  Unlike other MMO, you can't just one shot a player (no 'I win' button) so prowess has less significance compare to pure skill.

No.... they race to endgame (in this games case enough prowress to do everything they want) and then complain about how there is no content.

You see this right now on the forums.  Several groups of DF1 vets grouped up (exploited dungeons that were inaccessible at the time among other exploits that existed) and got 50k-100K prowress within a few weeks of launch.

They they complained that one tiny aspect of the game (sea towers) that provided something to do once every 12hrs not being in game, this was a cry for content.  As if that activity or resource monoliths (another soon to be added activity) would change the game for them and provide content.

I get content cries from themepark where the developers dictate what you do and why you do it, leaving no room for doing stuff on your own...but a sandbox?  Makes no sense to me.  Make your own content.  This forum has several posts about new players devling into politics and pvp and having content created for them.  In one case friends turned to enemies and now they have motive to prepare for war.  You don't get that in a predetermined themepark where enemies are chosen based on what side you create your character.

Anyway..if you goal is to race to endgame to dominate, you first will find out how little high prowress and good gear matters (good gear does matter but only the really high end stuff that you only want to use sparingly and with good reason).

It was the same way in DF1 when new players would afk macro skills (botting) to an acceptable level, then jump into pvp and get their asses handed to them, and quit.  This game is player skill dominant..you have multiple cases of low prowress players in crappy gear dominating high level players in top end gear.

So why race?  Why force yourself to farm mobs 150 at a time?  Just go hit the mob spawn and hope for pvp, and prepare for it..or farm it in bits and pieces.  Hell you can progress without ever killing a mob if you want...and still be good at combat.

Don't like farming resources? Think that's boring?  Go hunt and kill someone else doing it and take theirs...blow a hole in a city wall with friends and take the residents gear...get a cheap boat and go pirating and jump people fishing, or use the boat to down a seaside cities walls then rush in and raid them. Or just steal their boat and sell it and buy gear.

With some of these people it seems they choose the path they hate the most then complain theres nothing to do that's fun...Get 10k-30k prowress, practice pvp a LOT then embarrass 100k prowress players and take their stuff....that is if you hate pve and resourcing....you can be pvp viable stat wise fairly quick, within a week, which is shorter than any ez mode themeparks trip to endgame.  You just need to practice pvp and actually be good for it to work.

its a sandbox, you've got choices here. Lets not pretend that the only way to do it is grind mobs until your eyes bleed...which is also an option if your into that (and some are...hell those mobs are pvp hotspots so theres more than mob killing going on there

Zinzan

Apprentice Member

7/03/13 2:24:26 PM#30

Been playing for over a week. I'm playing a Skirmisher using a bow and learning how to dodge.

My Prowess is 8.5K and playing it like a mad man ( getting prowess is very slow ).  Everyone including my guild tells me that you should not really leave the safe zone until you have at least 10 K Prowess.  Sure you could venture out now and then to maybe gather some iron thats hard to find in the safe zone but don't stay long. 

So when I reach that point to REALLY get out in the real world, my guild will train me and several others on pvp and grouping. This is where I'll find out if I'm any good....I have to practice my quick bow aim and dodging.

Until then this is what my life is like :

Everything you do gives you a very little bit of Prowess. The game is high gathering / crafting. You will be doing a lot of AFK farming materials. Depending on your class you will be gathering more of one type than others. Skirmishers need lots of wood and some iron for Bows, and lots of leather for Armor. Wood you get from trees and leather is best farmed by killing rats in the instanced sewers. I will have to say that you will be doing the same exact thing from 1K to 50 K prowess, so understand their is a lot of reputation. THE GAME IS VERY HARVESTING CRAFTING DEPENDENT.

Sometimes when I'm sick of doing the sewers, I'll do some of the many small encampments that you can kill other stuff to collect weapons and stuff other than leather ( for me I just salvage the stuff or sell to vender's for gold ). Gold you need for crafting, not much else but lots of it.  You buy most things with the prowess you earned.

Other times I'll be practicing my dodge abilities and aiming for PvP by killing PvE stuff, or venturing out of the safe zone to mine gold and finding random chest that gives loot. Tomorrow I'll attempt to catch others off guard just out of the safe zone and get my butt kicked for the experience. It's all ok because I could easily craft anything I have with me in about 10 min. ( just don't bring a lot ).

My Clan is one of the largest in the game, they raid, siege and travel in small groups hunting PvP.  As I'm doing my own stuff, Ill lesson on Voice chat...... Soon I'll be joining them.  My slow painful work should pay off because 10 K is where it starts, I cant be alone but at least I can get out............Yes, I still love it !...........I really think the graphics are great, very detailed. The world is much better than Vanguard and LOTRO. Youtube's suck compared to how Darkfall really looks even on 1080P.

I'll end with this : 

Darkfall has a very steep learning curve, Re assigning hot keys to make things just right will have you pulling out your hair at times. It also helps to have a good mouse but after a week or so, it's all good.

Glad your enjoying the game but steep learning curve? No, really no. It's one of the simplest mmos to get to grips with, its really simplistic.

Im not sure i even understand why you had a problem with the hot keys, i really don't. They seemed just fine to me.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Zushakon

Novice Member

7/03/13 2:29:06 PM#31
If you're getting overwhelmed by the grind.. JUST FUCKING STOP! Getting 30k prowess took me only 5 days and after that I never felt I couldn't compete against higher prowess players in PvP. What's wrong with you retards that don't realize this?

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
Zushakon Odi

Zinzan

Apprentice Member

7/03/13 2:31:53 PM#32

My Clan is large and at times hardcore, but they are very noob friendly, they even have a noob channel in Teamspeak, one for asking stupid questions and another for higher players to train noobs in many ways.

I have almost 11 K prowess, thats still low.  Last night we went fishing on an advanced players boat. I know what your thinking "fishing ?"....That sucks !.............Well, anything but.  We all had to watch the shore line for chest and players . If we see anyone were to jump off an attack them, we had some good battles only for me to get ganked and I lost everything . I should have stoped when I was ahead.  Even lost a map and my mount.

Again, I really don't agree, DFUW is such a shallow game at its core, these experiences are 100% based on your clan and their in game activities, this could work in any mmo, it has little to do with DFUW, you just happened to have encountered this clan there.

It's a game, not a way of life, im afraid anyone who thinks otherwise has their priorities seriously screwed on backwards.

MMOs never were a way of life, I have been playing them since the beginning and have played most of them. The time invested is down to the player, not the game. 

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Zushakon

Novice Member

7/03/13 2:35:34 PM#33
Originally posted by Zinzan

Glad your enjoying the game but steep learning curve? No, really no. It's one of the simplest mmos to get to grips with, its really simplistic.

Im not sure i even understand why you had a problem with the hot keys, i really don't. They seemed just fine to me.

lol, is this guy for real? While it's not as high skill ceiling as DF1 it's still way above everything else on the market. And yeah, it takes a while before a new player get to grips with the game. If you want to I could 1v1 you 10 times in a row and roflstomp you every single time to prove my point.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
Zushakon Odi

Zushakon

Novice Member

7/03/13 2:39:28 PM#34

Again, I really don't agree, DFUW is such a shallow game at its core, these experiences are 100% based on your clan and their in game activities, this could work in any mmo, it has little to do with DFUW, you just happened to have encountered this clan there.

It's a game, not a way of life, im afraid anyone who thinks otherwise has their priorities seriously screwed on backwards.

MMOs never were a way of life, I have been playing them since the beginning and have played most of them. The time invested is down to the player, not the game. 

What other game has open world PvP, full loot, city building, skillful PvP and a massive world without instancing? and no other game allows even remotely the same kind of freedom.. I'm starting to think you've never even played DFUW or you just sucked miserably at it.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
Zushakon Odi

Holophonist

Elite Member

7/03/13 3:50:53 PM#35

Totally disagree. Yes on paper there isn't much to the game compared to something like ffxi or even WoW which has a billion expansions and is constantly building on itself. But the learning curve comes with how you survive in the game, not the actual mechanics of the game. You throw somebody into WoW or a WoW clone, and they're gonna do just fine. Throw that same person into DF and there's a really good chance they're just gonna quit because they don't understand how the game is supposed to be played.

gamekid2k

Novice Member

7/03/13 4:15:34 PM#36
Originally posted by Zushakon
If you're getting overwhelmed by the grind.. JUST FUCKING STOP! Getting 30k prowess took me only 5 days and after that I never felt I couldn't compete against higher prowess players in PvP. What's wrong with you retards that don't realize this?

The problem is we are still trying to figure out how to best insult someone and also try to be helpful at the same time. 

Synns77

Novice Member

7/03/13 4:26:44 PM#37
Personally I found the game abit to slow and boring, to much grind before feeling there was any reward ie being competitive. I was also pretty disappointed with the graphics compared to many newer mmos, it was just a very slightly upgraded version of the original darkfall. The communication with the community by the devs was appalling aswell, and yes I agree some of the community are horrible. Each to there own though, it's a very niche game and eventually it will probably end up with the same small community the original had. Not really any competition for it at the minute though so guess its the only option for people who like this type of hardcore pvp mmo.
  Holophonist

Elite Member

7/03/13 4:41:46 PM#38
Originally posted by Guitarbry
Personally I found the game abit to slow and boring, to much grind before feeling there was any reward ie being competitive. I was also pretty disappointed with the graphics compared to many newer mmos, it was just a very slightly upgraded version of the original darkfall. The communication with the community by the devs was appalling aswell, and yes I agree some of the community are horrible. Each to there own though, it's a very niche game and eventually it will probably end up with the same small community the original had. Not really any competition for it at the minute though so guess its the only option for people who like this type of hardcore pvp mmo.

As you say, to each their own about the graphics. I am curious what you mean by the grind though. Are you comparing this to other mmo's or what? Everybody seems to agree that you can be pvp viable extremely quickly in this game. The way it's set up is like specifically designed so that almost everybody can be competitive.

Synns77

Novice Member

7/03/13 4:50:59 PM#39
I agree compared to darkfall 1, the grind has seriously reduced. I guess it's more of a personal opinion that pvp games should be very equal allowing skill to be the defining factor. So although you can become viable in a couple of weeks or could at release anyway ( as the game gets older, this will probably get tougher due to being ganked by higher lvl players) the gap between new and old is still more than I would like in this type of game. Again purely a personal opinion.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search