Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,931,573 Users Online:0
Games:764  Posts:6,341,747
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

13 posts found
  page975

Apprentice Member

OP  6/22/13 8:27:19 AM#1

I always hated crafting in all mmos, so I never really did it.  My questions could probably go for any mmo.  I can't post in Darkfall forums for some reason, I'll look into that later when I have more tme.

I'm crafting Bows and leather

- So it takes crafting about 50 bows to increase my skill to 25, no big deal.  But I had to craft about 100 bows to increase my skill to 50 and they require way more mats.  Still no real big deal.  Now, to get my skill to 75 seems wayyyy out of hand on the material and I'm sure well over 150 bows.......Is this how you increase your skill ?...........Making hundreds and hundreds of bows and thousands of mats...I think it is but its just crazy.  Now, I understand why I always hated crafting in any mmo.....Then leather would be the same.

- Now maybe I could craft low quality bows and get the same results. I'll have to experiament....What do you think of this ?

- Salvaging, Seems wayyyy not worth it. Cost one gold to salvage anything, with a 35% chance of getting a small amount of mats back. I'll be honest, it seems way less than 35% more like 10%.....Seems better to vendor everything and get a guaranteed 1 gold back everytime....Right ?

This could hold true for any mmo....Do people really like a time sink like this ?

Lustmord

Advanced Member

6/22/13 11:01:12 AM#2

I'm not sure what the question is?

You have to craft your highest attainable tier to gain skill.

Salvaging becomes worthwhile as you gain skill in it. You start getting ingots for 1 gold, which go for what- 9 gold?- on the open market.

I enjoy the crafting.

Lustmord

Advanced Member

6/22/13 11:09:49 AM#3

I just saw someone selling 2k ingots, 24g per.. 22 if you buy them all.

So if that's the going rate, then Salvaging is a really good deal.

Slapshot1188

Elite Member

6/22/13 11:42:36 AM#4
Originally posted by Lustmord

I'm not sure what the question is?

You have to craft your highest attainable tier to gain skill.

Salvaging becomes worthwhile as you gain skill in it. You start getting ingots for 1 gold, which go for what- 9 gold?- on the open market.

I enjoy the crafting.

Ore is 9ish... ingots are 20+ per.

Salvaing is very much worth it.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

xpiher

Elite Member

6/23/13 2:56:25 AM#5

Yes, people who enjoy crafting like the time sink.

Yes, that's how crafting works in nearly every MMO (some add mini games)

Yes, you have to use more resources to craft higher tiered stuff because of the risk v reward

Salvaging is TOTALLY worth it.

If you don't like crafting why are you doing it? 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Lustmord

Advanced Member

6/23/13 4:00:43 AM#6

Also, it might help to explain how salvaging works.

Say you have a 45% chance to salvage an item.

If you have a Simple Elementalist Robe, for example, it will give you a chance to salvage 6 cloth.

It will do the roll against your 45% chance. If you win, then it does another roll to decide how much cloth you get, 1-6.

So you have a flat 45% chance of variable success.

Now, for example, if you take a Crude Stoic Bow, you will have a 45% chance to get 1 iron, a 45% chance to get 1 leather, and a a 45% chance to get 2 wood.

It will do a roll against your 45% chance for each item. If you win each item, it will roll again to see how much you get.

So effectively, you have a 135% chance of variable success. I know that number is wrong, because it's not a 100% chance of success.. you could roll a 43 three times, but you are 3x more likely to see success. For this reason,  Primalist and Warrior armors, and Weapons yeild better results. There's more opportunities for success per item.

But even leather elbow pads with a chance to get 1 leather are worth doing. You get a chance at success, as well as skill gains and prowess from it.

Lustmord

Advanced Member

6/23/13 4:12:04 AM#7

I just did some salvaging, and got my skill up to 55.

For 479 gold, I got 60 cloth, 36 wood, 111 leather, 58 ingots, and a small amount of prowess.

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  6/23/13 6:59:44 AM#8

I just did some salvaging, and got my skill up to 55.

For 479 gold, I got 60 cloth, 36 wood, 111 leather, 58 ingots, and a small amount of prowess.

Thanks Lustmord,

In your example and to me, salvaging sounds like it's kind of worth it.

But it still seems like a lot of gold.  Thats money used that I would like to put right back into crafting instead of getting easy mats back with the exception of the 58 Ingots ( in my case, bows and leather crafting you don't get many rare ingots ).

Now, instead of costing 479 gold, you can gain 479 by vendering, thats a 958 gold diffriance.....For now, still being in the safe zone, doing the rat dungeons for my best sorce of making money.  Gold seems to be the most rare.  Gathering seems no problem.

I guess it comes down to how everyone looks at the math.

As far a crafting, People in my clan say that Darkfall has one of the best crafting systems of  mmos.  It's just that I never really did it.  And the cost ( gold ) seems to be MY downfall. 

Lustmord

Advanced Member

6/23/13 1:35:39 PM#9

The trick is to save all your junk in salvage bag. Crappy armors that you pick up off mobs and whatnot.

Eventually you will be doing treasure maps or opening veilron chests or something for thousands of gold at a time.

When you get to the point that you have thousands in the bank, and your girlfriend wants to watch a movie, just throw that salvaging bag on the crafting table and let it ride.

Imo, gold and resources are replacable. Prowess and Skill Gains are the most valuable resources in the game.

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  6/23/13 5:39:50 PM#10

The trick is to save all your junk in salvage bag. Crappy armors that you pick up off mobs and whatnot.

Eventually you will be doing treasure maps or opening veilron chests or something for thousands of gold at a time.

When you get to the point that you have thousands in the bank, and your girlfriend wants to watch a movie, just throw that salvaging bag on the crafting table and let it ride.

Imo, gold and resources are replacable. Prowess and Skill Gains are the most valuable resources in the game.

Hay, this sounds good.  At low levels money is my problem ( 7K Prowess and still in the save zones ). If this is true then salvaging will be ok, ....thanks !

Anyway, My guild is getting ready for a major sege, damm I'm too low !

itchmon

Hard Core Member

6/26/13 11:31:59 PM#11
Originally posted by page975

Hay, this sounds good.  At low levels money is my problem ( 7K Prowess and still in the save zones ). If this is true then salvaging will be ok, ....thanks !

hello OP, this is how i did my moneymaking at low prow levels in DFUW.

2 main options for me.

1) in the "sewer" dungeons there are scumlings.  unlike other mobs, scumlings turn into rawhide when you skin them.  sometimes up to 5 or 6 rawhide.  in an hour killing and skinning scumlings you can get 300, 400 rawhides.  Rawhides sell for 6-9 gold apiece depending on the winds of trade and whatnot... OR you can tan them into leathers and sell the leather or craft with it.  (refining leather is great for the ole prowess pool)

2) find a goblin spawn, when the lil wankers die they leave behind rank one equips.  staffs, bows and melee weapons all salvage into ingots.  (loot into a bag and salvage the bag.  you even get to keep the bag after)  ok, they salvage into a bunch of things, but importantly they salvage into ingots.  once you get a couple hundred ingots you will be able to sell them wham, fast.  ingots are at about20G a pop now i think (i havent been following the price of them )  PLUS gobbos drop gold and approx one in 25 will drop something nice, like a portal shard, a key, or 50+ gold.

GL and i hope you enjoy.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

page975

Apprentice Member

OP  6/27/13 12:19:46 AM#12
Originally posted by itchmon
Originally posted by page975

hello OP, this is how i did my moneymaking at low prow levels in DFUW.

2 main options for me.

1) in the "sewer" dungeons there are scumlings.  unlike other mobs, scumlings turn into rawhide when you skin them.  sometimes up to 5 or 6 rawhide.  in an hour killing and skinning scumlings you can get 300, 400 rawhides.  Rawhides sell for 6-9 gold apiece depending on the winds of trade and whatnot... OR you can tan them into leathers and sell the leather or craft with it.  (refining leather is great for the ole prowess pool)

2) find a goblin spawn, when the lil wankers die they leave behind rank one equips.  staffs, bows and melee weapons all salvage into ingots.  (loot into a bag and salvage the bag.  you even get to keep the bag after)  ok, they salvage into a bunch of things, but importantly they salvage into ingots.  once you get a couple hundred ingots you will be able to sell them wham, fast.  ingots are at about20G a pop now i think (i havent been following the price of them )  PLUS gobbos drop gold and approx one in 25 will drop something nice, like a portal shard, a key, or 50+ gold.

GL and i hope you enjoy.

Money is still my problem, so thanks. I only have to figure out how to sell to other players, I have not been using the global chat, so I'll turn it back on or ask someone in my guild how to sell, I'll also look into the Goblins thing too.

itchmon

Hard Core Member

6/27/13 6:26:35 AM#13

NP....

if you dont want to use global (thats where most of the selling happens) just ask your guildies what's the going price, then sell it to someone in clan for like 2G less.  everyone will be happy.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins