Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,754 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,464
Aventurine SA | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/16/13)  | Pub:Aventurine SA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$14.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Forum » General Discussion » I liked DF1, should I buy this game?

12 posts found
  TomShreds

Apprentice Member

OP  5/05/13 7:10:33 PM#1

Hi!

I played for some months of DF1 back some years ago and liked it, the damn web-based UI kept me liking the whole game but I liked the stressful situations and the big open world.

How's the UI now? I heard it's terrible, but at least is it working?

As for the game, how is it compared to the first?

Any good thing I should know before playing?

Thanks!

Badaboom

Hard Core Member

5/05/13 7:55:26 PM#2
I'm liking UW better than Df1.  I think the UI is better but still not great.  I don't like the bag system but am getting used to it.  The chat system also leaves much to be desired as I'm a big proponent for optional/toggleable chat bubbles.  That all said, UW does what it does best...open world FFA full loot pvp.
  User Deleted
5/05/13 8:19:12 PM#3

If the UI or the web-based portion of DF kept you from liking the game enough to continue playing, you won't like DFUW. To be a Darkfall player, you have to overlook so many petty annoyances like that: new bag system, chat, UI, lag,  AV, trolls, griefers, etc. If you like the game enough, to still play in spite of all that, then you are a Darkfall player.

If you join a clan, then you can complain about it together and still have fun playing the game. That's what I do, anyway.

indef

Apprentice Member

5/05/13 8:24:45 PM#4

short answer: no.

the game is way different than df1.  Takes almost no skill, everyone is the same class (warrior), and there is a myriad of imbalances that determine the outcome of fights.  

tl;dr:

DF1 took skill, DF:UW doesn't.  If you like big zergs though that just roam around together all day, you might like it.

Chrisbox

Advanced Member

5/05/13 8:34:02 PM#5
I just got into my first large fight (30vs30+) and I can say that i Haven't had that much fun in a really long time, would highly suggest subbing to this game.  

Played-Everything
Playing-FFXIV:ARR

Hotjazz

Apprentice Member

5/05/13 8:39:25 PM#6
Originally posted by Antemortem

I played DF until the end, and I find DFUW far better.

You can`t macro and be a bunnyhopping clone warrior-mage-crafter-archer, so you have to slowly grind your char. You pick a role and level from there. The UI is not good. It has very small icons and the bank UI is bad. It is not web based like DF1 and you will learn to handle it.

-Bind your spells/skills to hotkeys ASAP.

-Read the guides on how to develop your char and what feats/quest you need to get the prowess/levels.

-Find a clan.

-Still some lag spikes.

It is almost like DF1, so you will get it fast. I just love the game, and it consumes all my time at the moment. The good part is, unlike DF1, it will only get better.

User Deleted
5/06/13 3:49:32 AM#7
Originally posted by indef

the game is way different than df1.  Takes almost no skill, everyone is the same class (warrior), and there is a myriad of imbalances that determine the outcome of fights.  

tl;dr:

DF1 took skill, DF:UW doesn't.  If you like big zergs though that just roam around together all day, you might like it.

I have to think you haven't played DFUW.

I have personally seen 2 defeat 7 with approximately equal prowess.

I have seen 14k prowess defeat 40k prowess 1v1. 

In both cases, the zerg lost. It was because of skill. 

MegaD61

Novice Member

5/06/13 4:22:40 AM#8
Originally posted by indef

tl;dr:

DFUW absolutly takes skill.  I've seen a person with 9K prowess in padded beat 2 peep of 20K prowess plus in better gear.  This guy has no idea what he is talking about.  Please disreguard.  AND BTW not everyone is warriors.  We have a very good mix of roles in our clan.

Snoepie

Novice Member

5/06/13 6:10:00 AM#9
Originally posted by Antemortem

Hi!

I played for some months of DF1 back some years ago and liked it, the damn web-based UI kept me liking the whole game but I liked the stressful situations and the big open world.

As for the game, how is it compared to the first?

Thanks!

if you liked 1.0 when it took playerskill you will be very unhappy with uw..

They implented all kind of stuff to lower the playersskill.. 

You only have for example. 16 to 18 skills. for each roll.. they added a wobble mechanic which  does not aim 1:1 but put random spread to the shot..so when you think your aiming is correct is basicly isn't

They adjusted the speed of the game.. to minus.. your char is unresponsive.. like its walking in mud..

Sid_Vicious

Novice Member

5/06/13 12:57:38 PM#10

Love and hate relationship.... just like DF1.

I am having just as much fun in the end.

NEWS FLASH! A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore Darkfall Online player and knew just what to do.

itchmon

Hard Core Member

5/06/13 5:49:27 PM#11
I think once they get rid of PVUI (player vs interface) and give the existing systems more dpth they will have a budding star on their hands (maybe add some kind of alignment too)... I would say, if you've read about it and are intrigued then you shd probably check it out.

I am constantly surprised how much I like uw.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Hairysun

Novice Member

Boo ....

5/06/13 7:17:27 PM#12

I liked DF1, should I buy this game?

Yes ....

~Hairysun

http://www.straightdope.com/